• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Norwich (9/8/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson [off]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 28’]

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 18’]

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • Firmino [off 85’]

Votes: 122 70.9%
  • Origi [GOAL 41’, off 74’]

Votes: 43 25.0%
  • Adrian [on]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane [on 74’]

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Milner [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commando

Ad-free Member
Match report from the kop:

Just get the 3 points surely. That was the mood pre match in the kop bar. Mate said he hopes it gets dark quickly and then flood lights really shine! Positive mood, champions of Europe you know.

So to our seats. Right edge of the kop, under the score board - over looking part of the Kenny stand. Good view of the pitch. Red card on my seat for the mosaic. Hold it aloft after YNWA.

And so it started. Being in the mosaic you don’t get to see it. Banners updated, but can’t see them properly.

We couldn’t see any scoreboard so it may be confusing if VAR came into play.

Goals coming in thick and fast. Even norwich had some glimmers. Alison - what happened? Just pray it’s not serious.

But 4-0 half time. Easy.

Talk is will it be 7 or 9 -0....

2nd half some near misses. Then they score. How dare they? What happened? And we don’t. Origi tired and subbed off. Mane came on, bet he was training on his holiday. Looked so sharp.

So it ended 4-1.... but should have been 7-0.

Top of the league. Champions of Europe. It’s my birthday in an hour - going to just enjoy rest of this weekend.

Anfield, so magical - missed this place.
Happy Birthday @Red_Jedi.

Firstly I'll get the negatives out of the way. Why was there no "Operation Anfield Exercise" tonight? I like to have a little guess about when it will be announced. Secondly, why was the streaker nearly naked? The young lady in the Kiev final was properly dressed compared to the fella tonight. There's a lot of talk about equality nowadays, so either everyone goes naked or everyone covers up. The Snicker bar that I took to the game for a half time snack was nearly melted by the time I came to eat it. Surely the club should have mini fridges by each seat to negate this problem. FSG out!
Now to the positives.
Top of the league baby!!!!!!!!!

Commando

Ad-free Member

Commando

Ad-free Member
I'd love to have your optimism :D Awful defending. Nice goals though.
Yes the Norwich defending was awful. Let's hope that all of the teams that come to Anfield defend like Norwich did.

We conceded one goal against a newly promoted side that fancied their chances of catching us on the hop. Other posters (various) have said that this would be a good/bad time to play Norwich. Because they would play without fear. That could be a good/bad ting. For me it was a good thing. If we played them four/five/ten games into the season how would they play? If they were scrapping for points how would they have set up?

I've not checked the fixture list, but for me, I'm glad this one is out of the way now rather than have them come and stifle us to "Nick a point" later in the season.

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
Was working last day of the grind before holiday tomorrow but had the game on the laptop and really enjoyed that first half, reminded me of times last year when we score a few but could have had seven, one of these days Salah will pass up the impossible ones and create more goals and someone is gonna get utterly spanked, let's hope.its the chavs or the goons! Can't complain. at four one but we ne3d to get up to speed defensively fast, I stay stick with Gomez though! Trent talks a good talk, lets hope he stays level headed and focused defensively, hed be crazy good in a midfield! Rather see Brewster on the bench than origi once mane is back, just a higher ceiling in my opinion, not that Divock did anything particularly wrong but when your shooting for the stars you need a rocket! 3 points will do fine, same again next week for goals with a clean sheet and I'll be made up!

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Can't be unhappy with that,first game of the season.
4-0 up at break,with the Chelsea game coming up,if we did ease up a bit,not surprised.
Some good performances though,Bobby,Hendo and Origi for starters.
Biggest concern has to be the injury to Alisson,really hope it is not very serious.
Was impressed with Norwich,they didn't give up,they'll cause a few headaches for clubs before May.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Regarding Alisson's injury...obviously it could be anything but I've seen the calf mentioned. If it is indeed his calf it's a fairly common injury called 'Tennis Calf'. It usually happens to players a little bit older than Alisson but it is a crazy painful thing to have happen, it feels like you were shot with a high powered blunt object at point blank range, literally. Very painful. It's just a freak injury that is caused just by a rapid contraction of the muscles. It's a rupture of the muscle and you can't at all flex anything in your lower leg past your knee. 2-4 weeks generally to heal.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member

Just get the 3 points surely. That was the mood pre match in the kop bar. Mate said he hopes it gets dark quickly and then flood lights really shine! Positive mood, champions of Europe you know.

So to our seats. Right edge of the kop, under the score board - over looking part of the Kenny stand. Good view of the pitch. Red card on my seat for the mosaic. Hold it aloft after YNWA.

And so it started. Being in the mosaic you don’t get to see it. Banners updated, but can’t see them properly.

Goals coming in thick and fast. Even norwich had some glimmers. Alison - what happened? Just pray it’s not serious.

But 4-0 half time. Easy.

2nd half some near misses. Then they score. How dare they? What happened? And we don’t. Origi tired and subbed off. Mane came on, bet he was training on his holiday. Looked so sharp.

Top of the league. Champions of Europe. It’s my birthday in an hour - going to just enjoy rest of this weekend.

Excellent, Jedi. Your recaps are always one of my favorite pieces of the post match threads for home matches.

Happy Birthday to you!

Danny_

Great start for except for the Allison injury. This is what happens when your players don't have a proper preseason. Hopefully, we will be able to manage without him for a while. Thank god we got Adrian in straight away. Leaving Migs go doesn't seem like such a great move now though.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
I think it’s really neat the way the EPL has set it up that our place in the table after the first day of the season is the same as it will be after the last day of the season / hats off to them

RedYank

But 4-0 half time. Easy.

Some blokes get to have all the fun.

Happy B-Day, mate! :well done:

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
The Alisson injury just depresses me. I fear that he'll be out for a minimum of a couple months. If he's back sooner, I will be grateful.

Let's hope Adrian is able to keep the ship afloat on what will likely be a tight title race once again. Getting Alisson back for the UCL opener is crucial as well.

NaturalNine

TIA New Signing
The Alisson injury just depresses me. I fear that he'll be out for a minimum of a couple months. If he's back sooner, I will be grateful.

Let's hope Adrian is able to keep the ship afloat on what will likely be a tight title race once again. Getting Alisson back for the UCL opener is crucial as well.
You took the words right out of my mouth buddy..

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I was a bit surprised by the calm, almost disinterested, reactions of the players after the goals. No celebrations, it was as if it was another pre season friendly.

Great to see Firmino pulling the strings, setting up players, beautiful touches, everybody were playing for one another.
Was really impressed with Hendo, if he can find his shooting boots and add some goals, he is going to have one hell of a season.

mikodelniko13

3 points . Probably this is all what I would take from this game . The defensive phase of our game was poor at times . Offensive phase we had good build but many we were wasteful.
Bit confused by the substitutions, kieta and shaqiri could have had 20 to 30 min especially that the midfield was not very convincing .

melbournered

I have this ManU supporting mate who constantly bags Bobby. One of his most recent comments was that Bobby relies on other players to involve him in the game. I've responded by saying he has absolutely no idea and that in fact it's the reverse. That our team performs at it's best when Bobby is on etc etc.
After this match,I have this strong desire to invite him over to my place and make him watch the replay sitting upright on a chair with arms and body tied to the chair,his head clamped in a fixed position and with his eyelids clamped open, just like Malcolm McDowell in that movie A Clockwork Orange.
For good measure, giving him an electric shock each time Bobby was on the ball might be appropriate too, but that might take things a tad too far.