• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Norwich (9/8/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson [off]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 28’]

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 18’]

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • Firmino [off 85’]

Votes: 122 70.9%
  • Origi [GOAL 41’, off 74’]

Votes: 43 25.0%
  • Adrian [on]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane [on 74’]

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Milner [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alaskared

Kloppite
I bet Ali is out 6 weeks at least, obviously tore something. Ugghh.

Bobby Firmino is THE MAN, what a player, talented, creative, aggressive, hard working and sometimes unbelievably sexy on the ball. Class, total class. If Ox had a brain he would take Messi's shirt down from his wall and put Bobby's up there next to Andy Robertson's.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Wonder why Jurgen has dropped Matip?
Him and VVD had a great understanding for 6 months, it’s been disrupted and now we’re defending like Brendon’s teams.
TAA yes assist but how many times was he caught out of position?
If it’s not broke don’t fix it.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Him and VVD had a great understanding for 6 months, it’s been disrupted and now we’re defending like Brendon’s teams.
Matip has done nothing to lose his place, and I agree it’s harsh.

However I suspect the logic is that Gomez is quicker and better on the turn, so more suits the higher line than Matip.

Redopium

Professional performance won it in the first half and saw it out in the second, they certainly caused us lots of problems but we coped fairly well, Trent was caught out a few times and seems to get targeted by most teams now, Hendo Firmino and Origi stood out for me. Hope Alisson is back soon.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
First game into the season already seen chest-thumping crew coming right off the bat. Throwing sarcastic remarks about why not buy this, why didn't we do that and all I can say is - Wow. I thought we are in here to celebrate a win. Redforever is no longer here.....

Anyway, our goal conceded after watching it over again would not have happened if our players don't abandon their position without someone covering it for them. Robertson had a go at Origi for that goal we conceded and I thought that was a bit rich because Robertson played Pukki onside, but after watching the replay a couple of times over, I see it. There were two Norwich players at Robertson's side, he knows if they were to cross the ball at that point, our centre-half would be able to take care of it. Origi tried to win the ball back to attack, left Buenida if I am not mistaken free in the middle of the park. The ball got to Buenida who then put Pukki through. If the ball don't reach Buenida, they would have cross it and you know what happen when you lob the ball into our box - rule of thumb, if Van Dijk don't clear it, it's either an offside or a foul.

Here's the highlights... for those who didn't get a chance to watch it.

Post Match Pressie.... "it's the calf, he couldn't carry on. That's not a good sign. We'll see" Klopp's view on Alisson's injury.

Edit: Changed from Aarons to Buenida, courtesy of @cynicaloldgit. Thanks mate.

Last edited:

Redopium

That is a bit strange, Matip had been in outstanding form and we looked almost water tight also played well when on in the Community shield.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Because Gomez proved that he was Klopps first choice beside VVD in the first half of last season and only lost his spot when he got injured in the Burnley game which allowed Matip to get a chance playing beside VVD. Had it not been for that injury, Gomez would have retained his role in the heart of defence

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Matip has done nothing to lose his place, and I agree it’s harsh.

However I suspect the logic is that Gomez is quicker and better on the turn, so more suits the higher line than Matip.
Whilst offensively Trent offers a lot, I think we need a short spell with Gomez at right back and Matip center back to get back the groove of our defensive shape. Trent constantly lost his man or played them onside - A better team (like City did) will have a field day down his side.

Robertson was back to his best - Marauding at the business end and resolute at the other.

jaffod

Credit to Norwich, they came and had a go but in reality it was a lesson in how not to play at Anfield because they were dead and buried by half time.
Thought Hendo and Bobby were outstanding.
We got a bit sloppy for 15 minutes in the 2nd half but over-all we looked fitter and more fluent than I expected. Shame about Allison but Adrian will be ok, he seemed quite vocal and composed with the ball at his feet.
Smash the rent boys in Istanbul and we're off to a great start.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Great to start with a good win , sad that Alison got injured. Hope he recovers quickly.
I said yesterday I was a bit concerned about Trent and Fab and I still feel the same. Trent does not look as sharp and quick as last season and Fab , IMO , is not helping the back 4 as he should. Looks abit slow and lethargic. Obviously both had some good moments but they will have to do better if weare to winanything serious. For me Gini had his usual patchy game, a touch of class here and there but missing for long periods.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
That went pretty much as expected, apart from the misfortune of losing Alisson. Very good at going forward, very bad at defending. Klopp needs to sort out the latter as soon as possible because few other teams are going to adopt Norwich's admirable but naive approach of coming straight at us. Had they scored first, as they could have easily done, it would have been a totally different game.

Needless to say that Alisson's injury is big blow, especially if it's long-term. Perhaps it's time to drop the higher line?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
As good as Firmino was, I thought Fabinho was next level. My 3 are Fab, Bobby and Origi in that order.
Yeah he got my vote for man of the match as well. If any player go up face-to-face against him, chances are you would lose the ball and fall flat on your face. Muscling, aerial or quick feet, he seemed to be very well prepared for all of them. Anticipate the move very well too, and either nicking the ball off the opposing players or intercept it.

Chung

TIA Moderator
Good result, looking rusty in parts so can on!y get better. No real 'non-stand out' player on the pitch for me, strange. Disappointed that after going in 4 up we didn't go on to make statement by adding another 4 in the second half, now that would have made the other teams pay attention.
Obviously Allison's injury takes the shine off somewhat, hope it's nothing majorly serious and he'll be back in a couple of weeks.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Why do you want them to go down? it’s 6 points a season for us!!!
I think he doesn't like their fans.... I for one would love it if they stay up and we keep hitting 4-5 goals past them every time we play against them. That's a much better slap on the face for their fans than seeing them fall back to the Championship.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Lovren and Lallana and none of the youngsters made it to the bench. I think we’re well equipped for a long season.

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
Chatting by Physio brother and he reckons Allison snapped an Achilles and if he did its a season long recovery. I hope the fuck my brother is a shit Physio.
Great win, 3 points, we're on our way.

Seen it all

A Realist is a Pessimist with Experiance!
Did you notice this?

About the game, 4:1, lots of heavy legs in the second half and a bit unlucky as well. We had enough chances to score at least another 3 goals.

Our defense will settle, I am not worried at all. Only worry is Alisson, I hope it's nothing too serious.
, I am not worried at all. Only worry is Alisson............
Livvy that doesn't sound right ,even in German.lollol:think: