• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Norwich (9/8/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson [off]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 28’]

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 18’]

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • Firmino [off 85’]

Votes: 122 70.9%
  • Origi [GOAL 41’, off 74’]

Votes: 43 25.0%
  • Adrian [on]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane [on 74’]

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Milner [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Relatively good news for poor Alisson. Guessing calf is 6-8 weeks worst case as opposed to 3 months best case if it was a knee tweak. Soooo glad we got Adrian in. If we'd seen Mignolet trudge on as our number1 for the next few weeks the atmosphere would've been depressingly different.

Bobby out of this world yesterday. Just hope too much football doesn't catch up with his tired muscles too. Looked incredibly sharp.

Disjointed at the back. Not sure what's going on there. Hopefully that's an area we can work on before the season really picks up pace with the UCL in a few weeks time.
Its definitely his calf. Think klopp said that Alison thought he had been hit by something which doesn't sound to good

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Its definitely his calf. Think klopp said that Alison thought he had been hit by something which doesn't sound to good
Yes in the post match press con, Klopp said it's his calf. However, Alisson is Brazilian and tend to exaggerate a little. So we'll see. Here's something I picked out from the internet, by no means me being some muscular injury expert...

Not good either way!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Chatting by Physio brother and he reckons Allison snapped an Achilles and if he did its a season long recovery. I hope the fuck my brother is a shit Physio.
Great win, 3 points, we're on our way.
That was my initial fear yesterday, having seen my own keeper do similar from just a few meters away - the look back is a real telltale for that injury. But my keeper was nowhere near as mobile as Alisson was afterwards, and if it was as serious as an Achilles tendon rupture, he would not have been allowed to try.

FGred

Yes the Norwich defending was awful. Let's hope that all of the teams that come to Anfield defend like Norwich did.

We conceded one goal against a newly promoted side that fancied their chances of catching us on the hop. Other posters (various) have said that this would be a good/bad time to play Norwich. Because they would play without fear. That could be a good/bad ting. For me it was a good thing. If we played them four/five/ten games into the season how would they play? If they were scrapping for points how would they have set up?

I've not checked the fixture list, but for me, I'm glad this one is out of the way now rather than have them come and stifle us to "Nick a point" later in the season.
About Norwich defending I laughed my head off at a quip from a mirror journalist “ their defence was as porous as one of Delia’s sieves”

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
That was my initial fear yesterday, having seen my own keeper do similar from just a few meters away - the look back is a real telltale for that injury. But my keeper was nowhere near as mobile as Alisson was afterwards, and if it was as serious as an Achilles tendon rupture, he would not have been allowed to try.
That was my thought, Ally walked back to the bench area putting both feet down on the ground. I would imagine if it was a season long injury our medicos would have had him on the stretcher. FINGERS CROSSED.

Joe Gomez x

I like Norwich, good footballing side but slightly weak at defending but maybe they will gel after time. Max Aarons looks decent to be honest.

Defensively poor tonight , worried if Norwich were more clinical like a top 4 side we could of conceded about 3 or 4. Joe Gomez looks far to relaxed for his own good and Trent seems asleep aswell leaving position and not supporting up top like he’s used to. Only way I can describe his Pre-Season and Norwich performance is tired. Salah is a funny one with me personally as I’m getting annoyed at his slight greediness for example when he could of squared it to Bobby and Origi but shot instead and then his performance in front of goal against City but he scored so...

Overall a decent but raw performance which can improve. Worried about Alisson though and hopefully it was just a precaution.

Red over the water

Wonder why Jurgen has dropped Matip?
Him and VVD had a great understanding for 6 months, it’s been disrupted and now we’re defending like Brendon’s teams.
TAA yes assist but how many times was he caught out of position?
If it’s not broke don’t fix it.
The partnership of VVD/Gomez in the first half of the season was better than the partnership of VVD/Matip in the second half, IMO. It conceded less goals and had the lot. Full credit to Matip for making it a close call though, and he did well and can count himself slightly unlucky not to get the nod as season begins. It will be interesting to see if it chops and changes, or if Gomez will be in now, form notwithstanding.

Gomez has the pace so we can play a higher line. He has more athletic ability than Matip that will suit the way we play, especially with the fullback pushing up outside him, so he has more ground to cover.

Mind you, he needs to get back to his best, quickly, or Matip will be ready to come in.

Last edited:

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Any update on alisson?
What's the worst timeline?
Just hope adrian is decent and our attack is capable of overpowering any team.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The partnership of VVD/Gomez in the first half of the season was better than the partnership of VVD/Matip in the second half, IMO. It conceded less goals and had the lot. Full credit to Matip for making it a close call though, and he did well and can count himself slightly unlucky not to get the nod as season begins. It will be interesting to see if it chops and changes, or if Gomez will be in now, form notwithstanding.

Gomez has the pace so we can play a higher line. He has more athletic ability than Matip that will suit the way we play, especially with the fullback pushing up outside him, so he has more ground to cover.

Mind you, he needs to get back to his best, quickly, or Matip will be ready to come in.
Yes, I prefer Gomez/VVD. They were great at the start of last season. Not that Matip did anything wrong when he came in. I think if we persevere with Gomez it will give us more options to rest VVD occasionally as when he is on top form Gomez is world class and him and Matip, even Lovren could do a decent job against most of the teams we'll play.

That said, there may be one or tweaks required to the system we're playing. Line looks much higher than at any time last season and none of the back 4 look comfortable with it, even VVD. Seems unnecessary to me as we can usually pin teams back just by being much better at football than they are. Leaves us very open and I am sure JK will tighten it up with Alisson out. Adrian is OK but he'll need more protection.

Very odd game last night. Had Bobby not taken that ball off Origi's toe just as he was about to slot in number 5 three minutes into the second half, I reckon we'd have got 7 or 8. When the 5th didn't come we lost a bit of interest and intensity and allowed Norwich back in it. They didn't deserve humiliation anyway. They played as I expected, just as they did in the Championship last season when they were very entertaining to watch. They might surprise a few teams this season.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Yes, I prefer Gomez/VVD. They were great at the start of last season. Not that Matip did anything wrong when he came in. I think if we persevere with Gomez it will give us more options to rest VVD occasionally as when he is on top form Gomez is world class and him and Matip, even Lovren could do a decent job against most of the teams we'll play.
I think it's the pace thing as well, Gomez and Van Dijk are about the same in terms of speed, so recovery rate is much better. This is his first game back with Van Dijk, of course it is going to have some niggling issues. Especially when he now realised he also needs to cover the right back post because Alexander-Arnold do go missing from his defensive duties since the very first time he played.

Inexperience does show though with Alexander-Arnold, which is why he is still repeating the same mistake. After a few games I expect him to rectify them, like letting the wingers turn him or jumping into tackle and lost his marker. I am actually quite surprise how slow Alexander-Arnold is.

Flobs

FADA

That said, there may be one or tweaks required to the system we're playing. Line looks much higher than at any time last season and none of the back 4 look comfortable with it, even VVD. Seems unnecessary to me as we can usually pin teams back just by being much better at football than they are. Leaves us very open and I am sure JK will tighten it up with Alisson out. Adrian is OK but he'll need more protection.

Very odd game last night. Had Bobby not taken that ball off Origi's toe just as he was about to slot in number 5 three minutes into the second half, I reckon we'd have got 7 or 8. When the 5th didn't come we lost a bit of interest and intensity and allowed Norwich back in it. They didn't deserve humiliation anyway. They played as I expected, just as they did in the Championship last season when they were very entertaining to watch. They might surprise a few teams this season.
Gomez for me is the better defender I think we just have to re-tweek the tactics for him as Matip and him are very different types of defender.
The only area Matip is better than Gomez is heading.