• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Norwich (9/8/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson [off]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 28’]

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 18’]

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • Firmino [off 85’]

Votes: 122 70.9%
  • Origi [GOAL 41’, off 74’]

Votes: 43 25.0%
  • Adrian [on]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane [on 74’]

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Milner [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I really don’t understand how we ended up last to be televised on MOTD since we played first on Friday?
Lineker on Twitter said that it's because it's early in the season and our match was on the day before the others and the goals had already been shown on tv. Had this been toward the end of the season it probably would have been shown earlier in the show.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Very odd game last night. Had Bobby not taken that ball off Origi's toe just as he was about to slot in number 5 three minutes into the second half, I reckon we'd have got 7 or 8. When the 5th didn't come we lost a bit of interest and intensity and allowed Norwich back in it. They didn't deserve humiliation anyway. They played as I expected, just as they did in the Championship last season when they were very entertaining to watch. They might surprise a few teams this season.
so yeah....this is spot on
and - after seeing City savage West Ham away - I think it's the most concerning thing about yesterday after Becker's injury
we all know that City are going to be relentless this season and that points AND goal difference are likely to be in play again this season
I was puzzled we didn't (couldn't?) put them to the sword in the 2nd half and coughed one up at home
cause it feels like this season even more so than last that that's the way we have to approach every match now - full on - maximum pressure up front - clean sheets at the back
and we didnt do it at home first game but city damn did it away first game -
(PS I was REALLY hoping not to write a downer/curmudgeon post like this but I couldn't not do it - sorry - I know the # of "ignores" that I'm on will now double and I'm ok with that - had to get it off my chest)

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Hi BostonMick, I believe this season head to head comes before goal difference if we end up tied on points. But yes I was disappointed with conceeding in the second half and surprised to see Mane given a run.
Thanks
Yes, understood on points and goal difference
Guess my main point being @ home against newly promoted side we couldn’t savage them in the second half and instead let one in (recognizing we had backup goalie in goal) - to @Billy Biskix point we looked like we “lost a bit of interest and intensity”
Meanwhile in London away Man City looked like a pack of wild hyenas (is there any other type of hyena?) savaging a herd of grazing antelope for the full 90 minutes

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
so yeah....this is spot on
and - after seeing City savage West Ham away - I think it's the most concerning thing about yesterday after Becker's injury
we all know that City are going to be relentless this season and that points AND goal difference are likely to be in play again this season
I was puzzled we didn't (couldn't?) put them to the sword in the 2nd half and coughed one up at home
cause it feels like this season even more so than last that that's the way we have to approach every match now - full on - maximum pressure up front - clean sheets at the back
and we didnt do it at home first game but city damn did it away first game -
(PS I was REALLY hoping not to write a downer/curmudgeon post like this but I couldn't not do it - sorry - I know the # of "ignores" that I'm on will now double and I'm ok with that - had to get it off my chest)
It’s August.

Not saying man city are not the bench mark.

But it’s August.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Hi BostonMick, I believe this season head to head comes before goal difference if we end up tied on points.
Nah- it’s points, then GD, then goals scored and then head to head (and then away goals in H2H matches).

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Nah- it’s points, then GD, then goals scored and then head to head (and then away goals in H2H matches).

What I said was correct: if level on points with another team(s), it is the respective head to head record that counts before overall GD.

macca1970

Seriously?!
cynicaloldgit is correct

1. Points
2. Goal difference
3. Goals scored
4. Most points in the head-to-head matches
5. Most goals away from home in the head-to-head matches
6. Playoff at a neutral ground, with the format, timing and venue being determined by the Premier League Board

In other words, head to head only comes into play if the sides are level on points, goal difference AND number of goals scored.

Sweeting

cynicadgit is correct

1. Points
2. Goal difference
3. Goals scored
4. Most points in the head-to-head matches
5. Most goals away from home in the head-to-head matches
6. Playoff at a neutral ground, with the format, timing and venue being determined by the Premier League Board

In other words, head to head only comes into play if the sides are level on points, goal difference AND number of goals scored.
I feel like the PL article is poorly worded as it is far from clear that this is what it means.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I really don’t understand how we ended up last to be televised on MOTD since we played first on Friday?
Due to it being the Friday Night game, all of the goals and highlights had already been seen by most fans during the day on Saturday, so they chose to look at the Saturday games first. That is how Lineker tried to justify it.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Thanks
Guess my main point being @ home against newly promoted side we couldn’t savage them in the second half and instead let one in (recognizing we had backup goalie in goal) - to @Billy Biskix point we looked like we “lost a bit of interest and intensity”
Meanwhile in London away Man City looked like a pack of wild hyenas (is there any other type of hyena?) savaging a herd of grazing antelope for the full 90 minutes
There was some sensible energy conservation going on. We have to go to Istanbul on Wednesday and City don’t.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Thanks
We were swamping them first 10/15 minutes of the second half but the 5th didn't come and then we eased off a bit. I think it's a part psychological 'this is too easy'/part physical thing but I didn't post it as a criticism. The game was won. We have another big game coming up and I also think that the early season training is very intense and saps our energy levels a bit. Admittedly City looked very good but their game was different in that at 2-0 it was still a contest and they couldn't switch off and go into cruise control with a quarter of the game left.

Nur der BvB09

3 Points a Game is all we Need.
The Boys did just that and Nothing more we could ask.
I want 4 more Greens this Year and this Team is capabel of i m Pretty shure that they ll go even one better that my prediction/hope.
Up the Reds Keep Marching!
Anfield was MAJESTIC!!

wibseyred

City still have the advantage of when they are playing teams they are expected to beat if that teams goes 1 or 2 goals down they then roll over and die and ship another 3 or 4.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Chatting by Physio brother and he reckons Allison snapped an Achilles and if he did its a season long recovery. I hope the fuck my brother is a shit Physio.
Great win, 3 points, we're on our way.
If he tore Achilles he isn't walking off the pitch. Not that serious. Strained calf is my guess, 2-3 weeks with lots of physio

Semmy

Ad-free Member
That was my initial fear yesterday, having seen my own keeper do similar from just a few meters away - the look back is a real telltale for that injury. But my keeper was nowhere near as mobile as Alisson was afterwards, and if it was as serious as an Achilles tendon rupture, he would not have been allowed to try.
Exactly. I tore mine, ended my playing days. Docs wouldn't even allow him up off the ground if his was serious, nevermind walking off the pitch

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Forgot to press post earlier...

How long does it Take to Heal a Strained Calf Muscle?

There are three different grades of calf strain that come with varying recovery times. These are not exact, as everyone experiences variation in the rate at which their body heals after an injury. The most minor of the three grades, grade 1, normally takes up to around 10 days to heal. For grade 2 injuries, this could be up to 6 weeks, and grade 3 injuries can take as long as 3 months. There are additional treatments that can help to accelerate the recovery time for calf strain injuries, such as calf strain exercises and physiotherapy.

I'd say it's almost certainly a bad tear as the pain was instant and touch and go whether he needed a stretcher. Never heard of it taking three months though, hes an elite athlete and our medical team are really good so Id guess 6wks, in which case Alisson should be back start of Oct, missing six PL games inc Arsenal at home and away to Chelsea, and one CL game.

There's an international break after that too, so hopefully a bit more wriggle room to ease him in.
I am just recovering from a torn calf muscle; however also tore the fascia as well. Now I am no professional sportsmen, but with physio twice a week - gym 5 times a week doing rehab exercises when there. - I have only started light jogging after 7 weeks, been doing stationery bike for a couple of weeks.

There are so many variables involved - theres probably no point in trying to guess how long he will be out, especially when we don't know the full extent of the injury.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
I am just recovering from a torn calf muscle; however also tore the fascia as well. Now I am no professional sportsmen, but with physio twice a week - gym 5 times a week doing rehab exercises when there. - I have only started light jogging after 7 weeks, been doing stationery bike for a couple of weeks.

There are so many variables involved - theres probably no point in trying to guess how long he will be out, especially when we don't know the full extent of the injury.
I was two weeks into recovery and made the mistake of taking my 2yo to a large shopping mall. *Facepalm*

Jaytinho

What impressed me is that we werent particularly playing at our best level and still managed 4 goals so easily. Our defensive issues are clearly down to the VVD/Matip partnership vs the VVD/Gomez partnership. I think its very clear now to Klopp that Matip needs to start games, Gomez is very talented but he was caught ball watching on quite a few occasions.

Alright Now

What impressed me is that we werent particularly playing at our best level and still managed 4 goals so easily. Our defensive issues are clearly down to the VVD/Matip partnership vs the VVD/Gomez partnership. I think its very clear now to Klopp that Matip needs to start games, Gomez is very talented but he was caught ball watching on quite a few occasions.
Agree and that seemed to be the running theme last year too: we were winning without being at our very best. And 97 points later...!