• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Porto (UCL 9/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Keita [GOAL 5’]

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Firmino [GOAL 26’, off 82’]

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Mane [off 73’]

• Origi [on 73’]

• Sturridge [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Think we have our first choice midfield for the rest of the season. Barring injuries I can't see anyone else getting a look in on current form. I'm confident that we'll get a goal over there and that will be that.

Hendo MoM.

Libero

Good result, a bit sloppy at times but you can’t complain after a clean sheet and two to the good.

Rested a few players and took the pedal off in the second.. onto Sunday now. Chelsea to play as well this week in the Europa league so not much turn around for them.

City losing also good... Aguero missing a pen, palace this weekend.

Big weekend ahead, The mackem Pirlo MotM

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Good enough, but left some money on the table. The return leg won't be a warm weather training junket.

Plus side is that Robertson is back, and we are starting to get real minutes from Keita and Origi.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
2 nil win, clean sheet, professional performance,
what more do you want?

I would have taken that before the game!

But we really did miss Robertson and his ability to whip the ball from the left.
nothing against Milner, but he has to come back inside and it slows things down.

It will be different next week!

LS12Red

Job done in first half. Need to be better in second leg don't think we can afford to be as sloppy. Naby coming good at right time, Jordan was great but for me Fab was outstanding ...onwards and upwards

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I hope its the start of 3 losses in a row for City that not only drains them mentally but physically. Not sure Kane is that integral to that.. Spurs were doing better without him.

Whilst we go from strength to strength.
I was just thinking... that Spurs when Son came back from the Asian Cup were playing really well.

Then Kane returned and they sort of wobbled for a few games. Son + Spurs seem to be motivated by adversity. I'm actually more hopeful of their PL game now.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Comfortable win and certainly in the box seat, but a third would have put that game to bed and allowed us the luxury to possibly rest a player or two next week. Feel like we are now obligated to field a full strength. An away goal will do lovely, as I don't see Porto scoring.

Hendo was my MOTM, but thought Keita played his best game for us. I've sat on the fence most of the season with Keita, but I posted twice recently where I slagged him off. Once was in the match thread against Saints where he scored a couple of minutes later, and tonight in the pre match thread where he scored in the first few minutes.

Werder4life

Quite like the result. Impossible to slack around in the 2nd leg / feel complacent about it - but still enough to force Porto on the frontfoot to eat them on the inevitable counter.

Double thumbs up to Keita (my motm) who really gets into his stride (at a good time) and thumbs up to Degsi as well - set no foot wrong all night and had some propper 1 on 1 defending done.

We rode our luck in some situations after some slack balls in the middle of the park - ye Fab , glancing at you (had still a good drive forward though). Liked Hendo's agressive pressing as well with the cherry of a brilliant throughball for Trent's assist. Tidy and cruel.

Strangely I wasn't nervous at the slightest about that match and had to slap myself into taking it seriously - just a few seconds before Naby scored. (phew) Just hope ManC can turn this around - don't want them to get kicked out prematurely ;-)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Henderson for me takes man of the match...... key passes, defended well, pressed well and stopped any for of counterattacking from his side. I really don't know what to say in our second half performance, as much as I would like to give praises to many, most didn't turned up.

I think Van Dijk by his standard been a bit lacking and very mouthy. Bitch and moan about every damn thing other than concentrate on his own fucking duties at times. Wind it in. Then you have Milner who had one very good spell in the first half with that first goal and missing from there. Not sure he can do the left back role anymore, needs to buy one backup next season for damn sure. Fabinho been rather disappointing too in most parts. Losing possession, switched off a bit too much and left a big hole for Lovren and Van Dijk to cope. Last but not least our keeper. He did saved a couple, but he is known for his coming off his line, distribution and confidence. Today he lacked them all other than shot stopping. Ball over the top and he juggles. Something not right with Alisson in the last couple of weeks so far.

We are not close to being convincing enough in this match, we need to turn up for the next one. Salah needs to stop forcing the fucking issue, and seek his teammates at times. Wasting too many damn chances so far which at times he had his teammates wide open. Someone please tell him the goals will come, just pass the ball a bit more please. Mane also been a bit too quiet, and that offside (it's not fucking offside!) goal ruled out lost Mane altogether in the second half.

Positives, not many really. I think Henderson had one of his best game since under Klopp tonight. He was everywhere and all our dangerous chances he was involved. I am very impressed with our captain today. Keita seemed to play better in European matches, probably because they are a tad slower and have more space for him to operate. Lovren bailed Alexander-Arnold and Van Dijk out quite a fair bit today. He did much better than Van Dijk and Fabinho. Strong and smart defending today, first time ever Lovren didn't lose his head. He marshalled that Merrega out of his comfort zone.

We need to play better, need to have more control and need to be sharper in our passes in the second leg. They have to come out and win it, and we will have more space to exploit. We know Militao is tough to break through, maybe we should think of channeling our attack through Mane next week.

3-1 would probably have been a fair result and I would have been ok with that. 2-0 is a better result so good but job not done yet.
The chances we had and squandered in the first half? 4-0 into half time would have been fair.

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
We were the better side but we gave them far too many chances and the threat was there from them. A third would have made this more comfortable but i don't think a 2-0 did Porto justice. Anyone would be a fool to be immediately thinking about the semi finals as based on that performance they could cause us a few risks back at theirs. Saying that i think we will continue to create chances so they may have to score 4. Regarding the VAR I think we may have got lucky a couple of times? TAA handball, or was he off the pitch, close one, on another day it could have been given. Salah - red card, he was pulled back just before so that may have influenced the decision. I also think his reputation helped him there.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I missed the last half an hour with a flipping phone call.
At least we got a 2 goal lead and we did not concede a goal, I would have preferred a 3rd goal just to be safe. Still work to do in the 2nd leg. Porto will try to avenge their defeat.

Our Naby shone today, well done Naby. Midfield was solid, we were abit Leary at times but, I will not complain too much with the result.

Well done Redmen. The 12th man were amazing as usual.

Now, we have to concentrate on Chelsea.

koptician

We'll go again!
Man, Danny Mills REALLY hates us:

Liverpool are getting away with it at the moment. Every game recently has been tight, though some will say that's the sign of champions - to keep winning when not playing well.

In the last 10 games or so I've not seen Liverpool comfortable in more than two matches. That can be a bit of a worry.

But, at the moment, they keep winning, so they will hope they can stumble over the finishing line.

Wot a douchebag!!

Barry O'Connor

Danny Mills

Former England defender on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra

Liverpool are getting away with it at the moment. Every game recently has been tight, though some will say that's the sign of champions - to keep winning when not playing well.

In the last 10 games or so I've not seen Liverpool comfortable in more than two matches. That can be a bit of a worry.

But, at the moment, they keep winning, so they will hope they can stumble over the finishing line.

He gets paid for analysing football. Just think about that. Someone hands him money to spout shit like this. What a bloody world we live in.

Flobs

FADA
Those first 3 minutes past slower than the rest of the match. I mean what where we doing?
Apparently waiting for Keita to find his footballing legs!
For me that was an impressive performance our midfield had real balance to it. Even 2 midfielders between their lines I haven't seen that from a Liverpool side for years. Well done Henderson and Keita. ^^
Gave Henderson MOTM for providing my best moment. Henderson gets the ball looks up acknowledges the call from Firmino and threads the ball through to .... Wait for it .... TAA in a completely uncreative way :J. Swish flip bang in it goes perfect! Did you see Firmino acknowledging Henderson during his celebration? :celebrating:
Firmino, Mané and VVD also deserve credit very good performances from them as well.
Keita much better however some of his passing leaves a lot to be desired, just far to soft far too often.

Nur der BvB09

Well done REDMEN!
I went for Keita as motm but our captain Hendo could have been as well imo.
A bit disapointed we didn t put at least 4 past porto but ist acomplaining of the highest Level.
We were very profesional and KOP wasa joy as Always to HEAR!
Roll on the Chelsea

RedForever2014

Just hoping Salah doesn’t get a retrospective ban. Some confusion on BT as to whether the stamp was VAR’d.

Good result.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
That was a fairly straight-forward win made better by a clean sheet. Keita is starting to look like the player we have thought he could be. While Fabs and Hendo together are looking better than most would have imagined. They all seem to know what they need to do and they are just getting the job done. No fuss, no mess. Just results!

We go again!

Flobs

FADA
I think Van Dijk by his standard been a bit lacking and very mouthy.
Maybe however the changes made and how he makes it all so easy for everyone else must be taken into account. Today the defensive system changed and he orchestrated that change. From playing alongside Matip and playing deep and cover covering to playing alongside Lovren with a high line and covering and at the same time getting the midfield doing what they needed to do with those changes in mind. Well just fantastic even if he did have Henderson to help him.
He is the defensive leader so should be mouthy and he's nowhere near as mouthy as Carragher was. ^^