• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Porto (UCL 9/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Keita [GOAL 5’]

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Firmino [GOAL 26’, off 82’]

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Mane [off 73’]

• Origi [on 73’]

• Sturridge [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Porto were good and that was an entertaining game. I thought we were going to demolish them first half but they kept going, grew in confidence and didn't tire. Second leg won't be easy especially if they get the first goal so job not completely done.

We were sensible in the second half. Bit more conservative and conserved energy trying to play on the break. Henderson was great again and Keita is finding some real form at the right time. Up front it was all a bit chaotic. A lot of wrong decision making, mainly from Mo although Mane looked weary and I was pleased he came off. I felt for poor Shaq, standing there desperate for his 30 seconds of first team action and he couldn't even get on. Maybe JK's saving him for Sunday.

The VAR calls are annoying because all the incidents being reviewed look far worse slowed down and that introduces an element of randomness into the decision making. Fortunately they all went the right way. Not sure if it went to VAR but the Salah foul was a classic example of how things look much worse in slow motion. No way was that deliberate but he could easily have been sent off.

It's a measure of how good we now are that a CL Qf final first leg win seems so routine. 6th win in a row. 15 unbeaten. Now let's get back to winning the fucking league.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Do you think he wasn't being pulled back in that instance?
He absolutely was, Salah was constantly being tugged off balance. But if he was being pulled back, it was a foul, and the ref did not call a foul. It is therefore dubious that Salah's no-card was because of him being pulled back. However, per ISMF's comment, I think that is exactly what happened.

Flobs

FADA
He absolutely was, Salah was constantly being tugged off balance. But if he was being pulled back, it was a foul, and the ref did not call a foul. It is therefore dubious that Salah's no-card was because of him being pulled back. However, per ISMF's comment, I think that is exactly what happened.
Sorry you make a comment about a comment by ISMF yet ISMF hasn't posted in this thread yet. So what comment are you alluding to.
Btw this wishing for Salah to get some sort of punishment for an icident that didn't even cause a bruise is annoying me. :unhappy:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Do you think he was a 'homer'? [I haven't yet seen the game]
No, it has to do with the fact almost every shoulder barge was a foul, 50/50s created by pressing were going in favour of the original possessing team, and he was letting an awful lot of sly tugs and pulls go, but seemed to be easily influenced about when he should make a call. Could make for a homer, I suppose, but my concern would be that some of the diving, like the one where the Porto forward basically flopped onto TAA would get called the other way with a loud Portuguese crowd baying for them. The Anfield crowd was not doing that much to build pressure, and I think his basic style is more synch with Portuguese football than what Klopp is trying to do.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Sorry you make a comment about a comment by ISMF yet ISMF hasn't posted in this thread yet. So what comment are you alluding to.
Btw this wishing for Salah to get some sort of punishment for an icident that didn't even cause a bruise is annoying me. :unhappy:
Right - it was in the in-match thread. I commented that Salah was lucky not to get at least a yellow given the placement of his studs, and ISMF speculated that the ref let the studs go because he knew he had just let the tug go.

Flobs

FADA
Right - it was in the in-match thread. I commented that Salah was lucky not to get at least a yellow given the placement of his studs, and ISMF speculated that the ref let the studs go because he knew he had just let the tug go.
The ref did let a lot of fouls go he also gave a few that were inexistant.
Personally felt the Salah incident could have got a yellow (but no more) however the ref would have been sympathetic (perhaps giving Salah a pat on the back and explaination). It really wasn't a horrible incident.
From what I remember the only cards the ref did give out was more for decent than anything else.
I watched the match through a Russian stream so didn't understand a word. I'm just wondering if the commentary people hear influences their judgement? (Perhaps they should turn the sound off ;-)).

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
great result considering we got the clean sheet

I'm glad to see Keita and Hendo hit form

only slight negative to me is Fab for me has dipped in form the last 2 matches... he has let some players get pass him a lot easier and he has also been slower to get back I have noticed with the combination of sloppy passing at times.. kind of similar to gini who also dipped in form recently with needing a rest and has a slight knock by sounds of it

Hendo and Keita to keep their places for Chelsea but I could see Klopp bringing back Gini for that one with them

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Good result to go to Porto with,a little iffy at times but what the hell!
Midfield looks a lot better,and Naby starting to look like the player we thought we were buying.
Another good shift from Hendo.
Hopefully we are coming good again at the right point of the season.
Onward and upward!

Libero

Whilst Salah catches him with the studs I don’t think there is ever any intent. We’ve seen it before with him where he tries to turn and put the ball and body between himself and the defender... on this occasion he is attempting it on the spin... Danilo just nicked in ahead of him and got the ball.

Might seem far fetched but that’s my take.

Flobs

FADA
great result considering we got the clean sheet

I'm glad to see Keita and Hendo hit form

only slight negative to me is Fab for me has dipped in form the last 2 matches... same with Gini before him needing a rest and with a slight knock

Hendo and Keita to keep their places for Chelsea but I could see Klopp bringing back Gini for that one with them
There is nothing wrong with what Fabinho is doing. Very solid and good dynamics.
My worry is still the drop in form of Wijnaldum and Keita not up to PL footy. Also both have a tendency to go missing when upagainst English PL physicality (Southampton being the most recent example).
I would go with Fabhinho, Henderson and Milner that's low risk and it's not like Chelsea are in a relegation battle so it's basically your average Top 6 contender battle.
Btw we overrated ourselves and under rated Southampton as we didn't take into account their position in the table.

Commando

Ad-free Member
It just goes to show how many different perspectives there are about each of our performances. All the starting eleven bar Trent and Mo received at least one MOTM vote. Varying opinions on the Mo incident. Some posters saying we were in control and played within ourselves. Others saying Porto were unlucky not to get something from the game.
FWIW, from my vantage point in U8 of the main stand, I would go with those who thought we were in control. I’ve seen criticism of Lovren and Virg, but I thought that neither of them put a foot wrong. My take on it is that we won it in the first half and the second half was about managing the game. I gave Hendo MOTM not just for his performance but also his all round Captaincy. He never stopped encouraging and urging those around him on to greater effort. He spent a large portion of the game in the ref’s ear. As to the ref, I thought he was decent. Unlike most refs that we get for European ties he wasn’t afraid to let strong challenges go. He let them go for both sides as well, so there was no hint of bias. I wonder how Our away leg against PSG would have played out with him in charge?

Anyway, a good win with a clean sheet (we haven’t had many of them lately. Two days extra rest than Chelsea will have before Sunday’s game. Bring it on.

COYR YNWA