• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Porto (UCL 9/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Keita [GOAL 5’]

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Firmino [GOAL 26’, off 82’]

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Mane [off 73’]

• Origi [on 73’]

• Sturridge [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Good enough, but left some money on the table. The return leg won't be a warm weather training junket.

Plus side is that Robertson is back, and we are starting to get real minutes from Keita and Origi.
Which in a way is OK - cause we seem to enjoy the Warm Weather trips - its the month after we get back is iffy for us

mmeck_lfc

i thought lovren was ok tonight... a few shaky moments, never gave a good angle up. VVD had one moment where he absolutely fell asleep where lovren cleaned up for him. so all in all, i'll call it a solid first match back for dejan.

salah wasteful again.

henderson was brilliant. naby was great. i thought mane was onside for his goal.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

I thought this was a return to heavy metal football first half. Klopp knew we had the beating of them, so he sent the boys out to get the job done. I think he backed Lovren and VVD to win their individual battles.

The ref was weird. Let some bad tackles go either way. VAR??? No idea how it´s helping.

We were favourites to go through before the game so you would have to say we are even bigger favourites now.

jaffod

It just goes to show how many different perspectives there are about each of our performances. All the starting eleven bar Trent and Mo received at least one MOTM vote. Varying opinions on the Mo incident. Some posters saying we were in control and played within ourselves. Others saying Porto were unlucky not to get something from the game.
FWIW, from my vantage point in U8 of the main stand, I would go with those who thought we were in control. I’ve seen criticism of Lovren and Virg, but I thought that neither of them put a foot wrong. My take on it is that we won it in the first half and the second half was about managing the game. I gave Hendo MOTM not just for his performance but also his all round Captaincy. He never stopped encouraging and urging those around him on to greater effort. He spent a large portion of the game in the ref’s ear. As to the ref, I thought he was decent. Unlike most refs that we get for European ties he wasn’t afraid to let strong challenges go. He let them go for both sides as well, so there was no hint of bias. I wonder how Our away leg against PSG would have played out with him in charge?

Anyway, a good win with a clean sheet (we haven’t had many of them lately. Two days extra rest than Chelsea will have before Sunday’s game. Bring it on.

COYR YNWA

Well said. Reading through this thread and criticism of the likes of VVD and Fabinho I thought I'd watched a different game.

Porto were decent but one goal for us kills it at their place.

Red over the water

Didn’t see the game, unfortunately, but sounds like a professional job. Two unanswered goals puts us firmly in the driving seat, and we are more than capable of scoring over there, which will leave Porto with too much to do. Still, we have to finish the job and can’t afford to be complacent.

On to Chelsea, big game that one.

Meanwhile, Man City are under a bit of pressure now. Good.

Last edited:

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Comfortable win against a decent side, but we'll score at their place, killing the tie.
A couple of scares but none worth dwelling on.
Check out Salah on the 15 minute mark to see what this season means to these lads.

Sidwishus

There were a few patchy performances but made up with that. We're lucky they didnt get the away goal and they're lucky we aren't up 5. I just wish Mo would start laying the ball off rather than continually running into a wall of defenders. At least not every time

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
some nervy moments, but I guess it's to be expected at this level in the competition.
good result, clean sheet and I would be in dreamland for this result for every one of our games we play this season.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Salah a very lucky boy. Straight red no question. However Manes goal should have stood. How can you review that and say hes offside? Hes not, so if you can't see that then VAR can't work.
The problem is not with VAR but with the rules themselves and the fact that they are too often left open to interpretation so different refs will have different interpretation of the same rule so will call things differently.

For VAR to work, the rules need to be reworked so that they are black and white to remove the chance for misinterpretation by officials

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Agree with SBYM, there are haters as Hendo has been an easy target for quite a few posters to feel included by slating him every chance they get.
Fair enough, haven't seen any OTT stuff about Henderson myself.
I have seen lots of adolescent type "haters" and "so called fans" comments though.
It's like I've travelled back 40 years to my school days

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Ps. Hendo...

My brother...My captain...My king...

Let them the haters eat (humble) cake pie!!!
Who are the haters? People who might not have him in their first 11? Ergo, people who dont have Milner in their team should be branded Milner haters, and so on. Hendo was unfortunate in that he was compared to Gerrard, and that was never going to be favourable for him. If we are all being honest, we all want him to be the best. But he isnt our best DM, thats Fabinho. He isnt our best AM? Ox maybe?
I thought last night he was superb though, and whwn the shackles are iff he looks much more confident.
I dont neccessarily think he is in our best 11 automatically. Doesn't mean I hate him, and have seen rare glimpses of such in here.
I think the hater thing is overplayed to be fair.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Salah a very lucky boy. Straight red no question. However Manes goal should have stood. How can you review that and say hes offside? Hes not, so if you can't see that then VAR can't work.
I think what saved him was the defender didn't even register that he got hit, so obviously it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked. Had he trown a tantrum and start screaming and rolling around I'm sure Mo would have got a red but he seemed unfazed by it and just played on. Fair play to that dude for not playact :well done: