• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Porto (UCL 9/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Keita [GOAL 5’]

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Firmino [GOAL 26’, off 82’]

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Mane [off 73’]

• Origi [on 73’]

• Sturridge [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Wow, 2-0 is pretty much the perfect result in Europe when playing the first game at home. Job not definitely done yet, but a good part of the way has been taken in terms of the result, and our lads find themselves in an excellent position now before the return game at Porto. Good to have been able to keep the clean sheet at the back, but to be honest, we are very lucky to be in that position. Keita's goal is a lucky deflection, coming after being under the cosh for the first fifteen minutes (very happy for the lad, that will do his confidence the world of good... twice now he has scored on quite unlikely deflections, he'll be delighted! lol)

On a better day, Marega could have had a hat-trick on himself, and our defensive play looked very suspect at times. We were also lucky to escape a penalty on a clear hands from TAA in the box. Lucky boy there...

Talking about defensively suspect... I wonder why Matip was replaced by Lovren for this one... hopefully he was just rested and nothing else. Against Chelsea, I certainly don't want a rusty and error-prone Lovren in that defence. Among other suspect things, he was guilty several times of wrong positioning in the defensive line, annihilating our usually efficient offside trap. At least once, it could and probably should have resulted in a goal for Porto.

On the other hand, our lads could have scored a couple more at least. Mané's disallowed goal came after a beautiful move, he was unlucky to be marginally offside... right decision by the linesman though. Mané was generally a bit unlucky with his attempts, as was Salah. Certainly room for improvement there.

Talking about what worked well, Firmino's tap-in is a text-book goal and move, absolutely wonderful. Henderson's through pass for TAA was a beauty to watch, I give him MoM only for that, even though he was excellent thoughout. Hopefully he can stay fit and healthy from now until the end of the season. A fit and confident Hendo will be key for us in the run-in.

For the return game, the first goal will be paramount. If we score it, it's pretty much game over. If Porto open the score though, they'll have a stadium on fire behind them, and looking at yesternight's performance, we'll be in danger. So, once again, it will be about keeping cool heads, defending well and pouncing on the chances our lads will get on the counter. I'm sure that Klopp will prepare them well for this.

And now back to the league. Chelsea next, very much looking forward to that game!

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I really want to dislike the ref (on the back of last years qt against City, where he was a bit hash on us tho we made it through) and I'm most likely gonna get shit from saying this but everytime I see him he's actually quite good. He don't interrupt play nearly as much as other refs and allow hard play that even epl refs wouldn't, he's always seem neutral and don't let other factors effect his calls and one of the better ones to tell players to shut the F up, I'm in charge. I think he's top notch.

I feel dirty praising a referee so much they're usually all twats lol

ps. I could be completely wrong as I haven't seen that many games with him I'll admit.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
On a better day, Marega could have had a hat-trick on himself, and our defensive play looked very suspect at times. We were also lucky to escape a penalty on a clear hands from TAA in the box. Lucky boy there...

Talking about defensively suspect... I wonder why Matip was replaced by Lovren for this one... hopefully he was just rested and nothing else. Against Chelsea, I certainly don't want a rusty and error-prone Lovren in that defence. Among other suspect things, he was guilty several times of wrong positioning in the defensive line, annihilating our usually efficient offside trap. At least once, it could and probably should have resulted in a goal for Porto.
Weird how VAR distorts incidents that are otherwise totally innocuous. Since the Utd/PSG penalty the bar has been set so low for handball that every time the ball goes near the arm or the hand it looks like a penalty, especially when the incident is slowed right down. By the time I had watched, frame by frame, for about the 5th time, Alisson pat the ball against the hand of TAA from a distance of about 2 yards away I'm thinking 'maybe that's a penalty' when, of course, it absolutely isn't. Can you imagine if the whole competiiton was decided on something like that? Fortunately common sense prevailed, as it did for all the other reviewed incidents.

Lovren's selection was smart. I doubt Matip has played such an intense sequence of games since he's been at the club and he's hardly the most robust player. Lovren did fine for someone who hasn't played since Jan and we need him up to speed. I can see him and Matip being rotated between the PL and CL. Any openess at the back was largely created by holes in the midfield. Keita did well but he still needs to work on the defensive side of the game and Milner obviously struggled at times when he got caught upfield.

donks

TIA First Team
It was nice to be able to watch a match without the pressure and tension of a title race and going through every emotion possible.

2-0 is a great European result and I expect us to score over there to kill the tie.

Positives:

- Henderson looks much more comfortable in that slightly more advanced position
- Keita starting to find form and looking like a proper option for this run
- Firmino also starting to look sharp and finding net on a regular basis
- No injuries and we got rest into Robbo, Matip, Gini and Mane and Bobby didn't play full games

Negative:

- Salah again was very poor and wasted so much ball especially in the 2nd half. He's taking way too much out of the ball, needs to see a pass earlier or at least play a one two.
- Defence was pretty poor and got away with a few tonight. Putting it down to fact we made 2 personnel changes.
- Lovren looked really shaky last night, everything was last ditch and he just doesn't see runners off him and around.
- Fabinho mixed the good with the bad at times but his passing was sloppy at times.

All in all it looks like job done and roll on Chelsea with a fresh squad while they have to play 3 games in 7 days

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
Nobody hates Henderson.
Why do you and others persist with this nonsense?
Jeez dude...it's a common trope...and when it comes to the more frothing types amongst us (not only on TIA), when Hendo makes one mistake he gets kicked from pillar to post and has done for years. Countless posts on here to that effect, a similar number banging on about him not being the right skipper etc etc...

I'm just giving him what I believe are the plaudits he deserves.

SBYM

Ad-free Member
Who are the haters? People who might not have him in their first 11?
Nope; they are the people who have slagged him off for years as not good enough to be our captain, and quite often, not even good enough to be a part of our squad.

My post was aimed in their general direction, the bitter kents that they are.

SBYM

Ad-free Member
I'd like to add...the joke that was kicking around last night in the pre-match thread about Hendo never making a forward pass would not make sense to us had he not been accused for years of always being negative/ponderous/slow and so on.

He's had a bum rap over the years but he's our skipper and I fucking love him.

My $0.02...

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
POOL vs PORTO

Well that's the first half done and dusted with not too many scary moments in our box. The second half won't be a walkover, but if we're on our game we should progress.

CHELSKI + RUN-IN

Next game Eden Hazard FC. If he plays, and I have not heard any reason why he shouldn't be, then we have to keep him shackled as much as possible. If we do that the three points are in the bag. It's true when people say the rest of our games are like cup finals. I don't believe we can drop too many points in the run-up to being champions. Citeh may have problems against Spuds and Mancs, but I can't see them dropping points anywhere else.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I'd like to add...the joke that was kicking around last night in the pre-match thread about Hendo never making a forward pass would not make sense to us had he not been accused for years of always being negative/ponderous/slow and so on.

My $0.02...
He was superb last night.
Liking what I'm seeing from that more advanced role.

Can I stop hating him now? :tongue:

Red Armada

TIA Regular
As CL quarterfinals go, this was a rather underwhelming affair. Almost routine like, certainly more relaxed than the recent league games.

The result is good enough but the performance could be improved on both ends of the field. Too many sloppy mistakes, too much wastefulness. The tie could have been effectively ended by now but the front three weren't at their best. Mane looked off and jaded, Firmino got a goal and was generally involved, but otherwise lacked cutting edge. Salah was just selfish. Kept the ball too long, either releasing it way too late or taking a shot that had no chance of threatening Casillas. Invariably he ended up wasting possession which is a shame because he was the most lively of the three.

Defensively, way too slack and open at times. None of the back four or the goalkeeper had a particularly good game. There was adequate protection from those ahead, but as already mentioned there were too many errors, both in covering and passing. The real standouts were Keita and Henderson. The former is starting to show why Klopp wanted him that much, the latter is displaying qualities that seemingly no one remembered that he possesses. Long may it continue.

The second leg won't be a formality, at least not without an away goal. But in all honesty, even when far from its best this Liverpool team looks a level above Porto. Another professional performance should be enough for a semifinal berth.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Wow, 2-0 is pretty much the perfect result in Europe when playing the first game at home. Job not definitely done yet, but a good part of the way has been taken in terms of the result, and our lads find themselves in an excellent position now before the return game at Porto. Good to have been able to keep the clean sheet at the back, but to be honest, we are very lucky to be in that position. Keita's goal is a lucky deflection, coming after being under the cosh for the first fifteen minutes (very happy for the lad, that will do his confidence the world of good... twice now he has scored on quite unlikely deflections, he'll be delighted! lol)

On the other hand, our lads could have scored a couple more at least. Mané's disallowed goal came after a beautiful move, he was unlucky to be marginally offside... right decision by the linesman though. Mané was generally a bit unlucky with his attempts, as was Salah. Certainly room for improvement there.

Talking about what worked well, Firmino's tap-in is a text-book goal and move, absolutely wonderful. Henderson's through pass for TAA was a beauty to watch, I give him MoM only for that, even though he was excellent thoughout. Hopefully he can stay fit and healthy from now until the end of the season. A fit and confident Hendo will be key for us in the run-in.

For the return game, the first goal will be paramount. If we score it, it's pretty much game over. If Porto open the score though, they'll have a stadium on fire behind them, and looking at yesternight's performance, we'll be in danger. So, once again, it will be about keeping cool heads, defending well and pouncing on the chances our lads will get on the counter. I'm sure that Klopp will prepare them well for this.

And now back to the league. Chelsea next, very much looking forward to that game!

Have to disagree. Keitas shot was on target but agree the deflection made it more difficult for the keeper. If you pack a lot of bodies in the box you are always going to get deflections, it is not luck, just the way the game is these days. The hand ball call against TAA was a joke . Clesly accidental and the ball was going out of play had it not struck his hand so did not really affect the course of play. Have to say I did not think we were that great on the night , particularly at the back, but felt the result was deserved. Mid field played well, Fabinho broke up a lot of potential attacks in MF but I wonder if he should be a bit deeper at times so he can drop in to cover in front CB`s that have to had to go wide to cover full backs . Back four looked stretched at times, to many holes.Will have to be a lot tighter in the second leg and against Chelsea.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Everyone who are footie analysts.

Sorry, I am the slow one, Klopp talked about playing Henderson in the advanced position. Isn't our Hendo a defensive midfielder (holding midfielder) and why was he wearing a no 14 position?

Also, this new advanced position, what type of role is required by a player on the pitch and is there football name for this type of advanced position?

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Jeez dude...it's a common trope...and when it comes to the more frothing types amongst us (not only on TIA), when Hendo makes one mistake he gets kicked from pillar to post and has done for years. Countless posts on here to that effect, a similar number banging on about him not being the right skipper etc etc...

I'm just giving him what I believe are the plaudits he deserves.
A great example is the Spurs game, where after the game most had a go at Hendo and said Fabinho has to start every game as the 6 (which I agree) when during the spell that Fab was on, Spurs had their best chance and some other very good opportunities and on that evidence he shouldn't have been lauded over Hendo.

LaurazRed

Sorry, I am the slow one, Klopp talked about playing Henderson in the advanced position. Isn't our Hendo a defensive midfielder (holding midfielder) and why was he wearing a no 14 position?

Also, this new advanced position, what type of role is required by a player on the pitch and is there football name for this type of advanced position?
I aways think of Alonso in a role like that, a playmaker.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing

He has always had the number 14 and regarding his position it is the same advanced role (what most term as the number 8 box to box role) that he pkayed in our last run at the title in 2014.

IMO it is his best role has he has a great energy, but his injuries held him back also

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
He has always had the number 14 and regarding his position it is the same advanced role (what most term as the number 8 box to box role) that he pkayed in our last run at the title in 2014.

IMO it is his best role has he has a great energy, but his injuries held him back also
Thanks Sportbilly, for some reason I thought he wore no 6, shows I don't pay attention to the shirt nos. I always thought he was a holding midfielder.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Last but not least our keeper. He did saved a couple, but he is known for his coming off his line, distribution and confidence. Today he lacked them all other than shot stopping. Ball over the top and he juggles. Something not right with Alisson in the last couple of weeks so far.
Alisson is concerning me too. Looks like he is no longer transmitting confidence to the CBs (VVD especially). His handling and decision making has also been suspect and he has really looked fairly average in the last 3 months. My worry is that the infamous curse of the goalkeeping coach is underway - IMO he looks quite a bit worse now than in August. Given what has happened with our previous GKs I think we can now conclude that we need a new goalkeeping coach.

jaffod

I also think the role JK has asked him to play has led to this misconception that he's not contributing much. I often think he looks far more forward-thinking when he's playing for England although I don't tend to pay much attention to their games. He's got 6 or 7 goals a season in him given the freedom.

nikz200

Allisson has played every single match this season bar one , i think he is due a slow performance here or there. The guy has won us points and today he kept a clean sheet. I don't think its time to question Allison's form , the games are coming thick and fast and we will need him to look forward and be determined.

This is where our depth will be tested and players like Hendo and the bench will play massive roles if we are to achieve anything this season.

also, Nabys form right now could not be better timed, onwards to the next one!!

FGred

My $0.02...
Even Klopp apologised to him for forcing him to play as a number 6 in his post match presser he is clearly better further forward and does his captain role better with the players in front of him by being vocal and VVD is the leader at the back it improved the balance of the team IMO.
His distribution was pretty good and the people at the end of his passes should have converted them into goals. DM is an ungrateful position at LFC Lucas got the same stick as Hendo for years but despite that he stayed loyal to Liverpool.

RedLar

Porto looked as good as some mid table sides we play in all fairness. Score could have been much higher IMHO. But in fairness, they probably should have scored too.

Porto were struggling to get out their half in while Bobby was on the pitch. Its a big part of Bobby's game that goes largely ignored IMHO. Our subs, I felt, changed our shape. Clearly an eye on Sunday and resting players. Not sure what good resting bobby for 10 minutes will do. Once he was gone, Porto were able to carry the ball to the half way line unhindered, and for the first time, had some self belief. Klopp needs to tell Sturridge to get his arse higher if only to make their CB's launch or get shut of it quicker. Not let them carry it without fuss. He's only out there for 10 minutes for fuck sake, so should be running his bag off to close them down.

Still, our second half was clearly about containment, and Porto had rather settled for damage limitation. We could easily have pushed for 3 or 4, I felt.

Porto still had chances and their centre forward was profligate when he could have had 2 or 3 himself. Not sure it was entirely down to Lovern either as he glided past VVD a couple of times.

2-0 good solid win.

If Porto score early then the pressure might be on in the return leg. If we score, then it should be game over. 2-0 is not the greatest of leads, as the first goal becomes all important in the 2nd leg, and will likely bolster the team that scores it, and make the other side either nervy, or defate them depending who scores.

Last edited:

RedLar

Even Klopp apologised to him for forcing him to play as a number 6 in his post match presser he is clearly better further forward and does his captain role better with the players in front of him by being vocal and VVD is the leader at the back it improved the balance of the team IMO.
His distribution was pretty good and the people at the end of his passes should have converted them into goals. DM is an ungrateful position at LFC Lucas got the same stick as Hendo for years but despite that he stayed loyal to Liverpool.
Henderson has had that wide defender splitting pass in him for friggin years, and frankly is wasted at the back. Wasted in a good way, I suppose, but he is just better higher up for me.