• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Porto (UCL 9/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Keita [GOAL 5’]

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Firmino [GOAL 26’, off 82’]

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Mane [off 73’]

• Origi [on 73’]

• Sturridge [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedLar

We've got possibly the world's best centre back inside the box on corners and free kicks and we then opt to play it short. WTF I was saying to meself. At 2-0 up, i found it annoying.

The short free kick to TAA was almost disastrous in leading to them breaking away with no one in behind to defend.

For me, taking short corner simply means that all pressure is immediately relieved when a team is not static waiting for a bomb to come into the near post.

Conversely, Porto put every corner right onto our 6 yard line, as did Soton on the weekend, and its itchy balls time till you get it cleared out.

Short corners! I shit 'em. :-)

RedLar

I really want to dislike the ref (on the back of last years qt against City, where he was a bit hash on us tho we made it through) and I'm most likely gonna get shit from saying this but everytime I see him he's actually quite good. He don't interrupt play nearly as much as other refs and allow hard play that even epl refs wouldn't, he's always seem neutral and don't let other factors effect his calls and one of the better ones to tell players to shut the F up, I'm in charge. I think he's top notch.

I feel dirty praising a referee so much they're usually all twats lol

ps. I could be completely wrong as I haven't seen that many games with him I'll admit.
I've heard he's a closet red :-)

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Selective vision by Iker; images deliberately taken out of context to present a misleading picture.

It was a 50-50 ball, and Mo was entitled to go for it. Danilo was more at fault; he was reckless; he dived into the tackle with both feet off the ground. Also, Mo was held back by Militão which prevented him from getting to the ball sooner.

As for the supposed hand ball, it was more ball to arm - Trent doesn't make an unnatural movement with his arm. And in any case, the ball looks to have been out of play when it struck Trent.

liver1

Selective vision by Iker; images deliberately taken out of context to present a misleading picture.

It was a 50-50 ball, and Mo was entitled to go for it. Danilo was more at fault; he was reckless; he dived into the tackle with both feet off the ground. Also, Mo was held back by Militão which prevented him from getting to the ball sooner.

As for the supposed hand ball, it was more ball to arm - Trent doesn't make an unnatural movement with his arm. And in any case, the ball looks to have been out of play when it struck Trent.

The Mo challenge once hes beaten to the ball he clearly tries to ground his foot on the grass. He does clip the player, but hes aiming for the ground so its not like he goes through his leg. Also he grounds his right foot first so all the weight is on here, the left leg is just dangling and theres no force behind it

For the Trent handball the keeper bats it onto his arm but the ball is going out anyway, and no Porto player is getting to it. No way is that a pen.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The Mo challenge once hes beaten to the ball he clearly tries to ground his foot on the grass. He does clip the player, but hes aiming for the ground so its not like he goes through his leg. Also he grounds his right foot first so all the weight is on here, the left leg is just dangling and theres no force behind it

For the Trent handball the keeper bats it onto his arm but the ball is going out anyway, and no Porto player is getting to it. No way is that a pen.
Nonetheless, both could have been given - going out anyway is irrelevant. I just don't think TAA created the contact in any sense, so not a pen. But Salah could easily have seen a card, you are responsible for your own studs.

I will be curious to see who the ref is. Porto will be working him doubletime to get calls, and the crowd will be all over them. It is going to be a proper CL tie, the team will need to fight to get control of the match in the face of a home side pressing for an early goal.

Lowton_Red

Ad-free Member

I agree. In fact it's a good job that Mo didn't beat Danilo to the ball - if he had, he might have taken the full weight of Danilo on his ankle.

Lowton_Red

Ad-free Member
Nonetheless, both could have been given - going out anyway is irrelevant. I just don't think TAA created the contact in any sense, so not a pen. But Salah could easily have seen a card, you are responsible for your own studs.

I will be curious to see who the ref is. Porto will be working him doubletime to get calls, and the crowd will be all over them. It is going to be a proper CL tie, the team will need to fight to get control of the match in the face of a home side pressing for an early goal.
I think it's more a case of Danilo's momentum taking his leg under Mo's studs, rather than Mo deliberately bringing his foot down on Danilo's leg.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Porto looked as good as some mid table sides we play in all fairness. Score could have been much higher IMHO. But in fairness, they probably should have scored too.

Porto were struggling to get out their half in while Bobby was on the pitch. Its a big part of Bobby's game that goes largely ignored IMHO. Our subs, I felt, changed our shape. Clearly an eye on Sunday and resting players. Not sure what good resting bobby for 10 minutes will do. Once he was gone, Porto were able to carry the ball to the half way line unhindered, and for the first time, had some self belief. Klopp needs to tell Sturridge to get his arse higher if only to make their CB's launch or get shut of it quicker. Not let them carry it without fuss. He's only out there for 10 minutes for fuck sake, so should be running his bag off to close them down.

Still, our second half was clearly about containment, and Porto had rather settled for damage limitation. We could easily have pushed for 3 or 4, I felt.

Porto still had chances and their centre forward was profligate when he could have had 2 or 3 himself. Not sure it was entirely down to Lovern either as he glided past VVD a couple of times.

2-0 good solid win.

If Porto score early then the pressure might be on in the return leg. If we score, then it should be game over. 2-0 is not the greatest of leads, as the first goal becomes all important in the 2nd leg, and will likely bolster the team that scores it, and make the other side either nervy, or defate them depending who scores.
Hah they remind me of Palace tbh!

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We've got possibly the world's best centre back inside the box on corners and free kicks and we then opt to play it short. WTF I was saying to meself. At 2-0 up, i found it annoying.

The short free kick to TAA was almost disastrous in leading to them breaking away with no one in behind to defend.

For me, taking short corner simply means that all pressure is immediately relieved when a team is not static waiting for a bomb to come into the near post.

Conversely, Porto put every corner right onto our 6 yard line, as did Soton on the weekend, and its itchy balls time till you get it cleared out.

Short corners! I shit 'em. :-)
Did you not see Lovren and Van Dijk going absolutely ape shit at Milner for that short free kick? He got a proper roasting.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
You mean this one too?

Clearly wasn't responsible for his studs this Delph even though Kane slipped. :think:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I think it's more a case of Danilo's momentum taking his leg under Mo's studs, rather than Mo deliberately bringing his foot down on Danilo's leg.
It is, but Salah's studs come down on Danilo's leg as the result of his extension - could easily have been deemed reckless and earn the yellow for unsporting behaviour. That is what I thought when I saw it in real time. But I did not and do not think it was serious foul play. The hold captured a second earlier in the gif is equally a yellow.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
How so? If the ball was already out of play before it made contact with Trent, it cannot be handball.
If it was already out, then it is not handball. If it was going out anyway, but was still in, not relevant to the call.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
How so? If the ball was already out of play before it made contact with Trent, it cannot be handball.
All of the ball was clearly not over all of the line...

In slow motion it looks bad but Dowd said it would be 0.2 seconds reaction time.

Having said that, plenty on here would now be arguing it was a clear penalty if it was a Porto arm

Arminius

FSG PR plant
You mean this one too?

Clearly wasn't responsible for his studs this Delph even though Kane slipped. :think:
I only saw images like this during our match, and could understand why Pochettino was angry. When I watched it in real time, it actually looked like a foul by Kane more than anything. In any case, Delph here is stepping on Kane's foot, and happens to catch an ankle. Not really the same thing as mid-shin contact.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Salah was also being pulled, so his movement wasn't wholly his own.

Typical hysteria, like Roma's. It seems like Mourinho's ghost is still walking the Porto bootroom.
Porto is still in Portugal. This is what Portuguese teams do. The national team, their club teams, my local Portuguese community club of over 35s. It is just part of the way they play the game, holding all over the field, lots of sly stepping on feet, jabs in the ribs, going down like a sniper hit them, you name it.

Red over the water

It could have been worse for us in both instances. Mo is studs up, slightly over the ball, and beaten to the ball so his momentum goes into Danilo. I think the point is well made that Mo was being pulled back, which meant he wasn’t first to the ball and also, when you are being pulled back, it tends to lift your foot a bit. Even so, on another day he could have got a harsh punishment.

As for the TAA handball, it looked more ball to hand, but again, on another day it could have resulted in a harsh decision. Alisson palmed it onto Trent and the whole thing didn’t really look like we were fully in control.

On Alisson, he has been a bit more shaky in a couple of recent games. If this is his worst he’s still miles better than what we had before, but I think it’s fair to say he could do with an uptick in his own form. Then again, the defence in front of him has chopped and changed a bit, so I don’t want to overdo it, and he’s still in the lead in the golden gloves clean sheet race.

If we can get a whole season, or near enough, out of VVD/Gomez in front of Alisson, with Robbo and Trent in the fullback positions, the goals conceded column next season will be even more meagre.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I only saw images like this during our match, and could understand why Pochettino was angry. When I watched it in real time, it actually looked like a foul by Kane more than anything. In any case, Delph here is stepping on Kane's foot, and happens to catch an ankle. Not really the same thing as mid-shin contact.
If you slide under a player while he raised his foot midair, while being tugged on the other side by another player, you tend to expect him to land on something. Especially when the said player had his foot aiming to secure the ball away from the sliding player. Unless Salah while away from training football took extra classes of some Wushu or ballet, I wouldn't expect him to be able to avoid that contact.

Lowton_Red

Ad-free Member
All of the ball was clearly not over all of the line...
I said "if"; if the ball was out of play. I was speculating. Do you have images clearly showing the ball was still in play to support your assertion?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
If you slide under a player while he raised his foot midair, while being tugged on the other side by another player, you tend to expect him to land on something. Especially when the said player had his foot aiming to secure the ball away from the sliding player. Unless Salah while away from training football took extra classes of some Wushu or ballet, I wouldn't expect him to be able to avoid that contact.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with that. But the referee made no call on the tugging, so having seen no illegal hold a split-second before, the tugging should not then be any real mitigating factor to Salah's lunge.

RedForever2014

It could have been worse for us in both instances. Mo is studs up, slightly over the ball, and beaten to the ball so his momentum goes into Danilo. I think the point is well made that Mo was being pulled back, which meant he wasn’t first to the ball and also, when you are being pulled back, it tends to lift your foot a bit. Even so, on another day he could have got a harsh punishment.

As for the TAA handball, it looked more ball to hand, but again, on another day it could have resulted in a harsh decision. Alisson palmed it onto Trent and the whole thing didn’t really look like we were fully in control.

On Alisson, he has been a bit more shaky in a couple of recent games. If this is his worst he’s still miles better than what we had before, but I think it’s fair to say he could do with an uptick in his own form. Then again, the defence in front of him has chopped and changed a bit, so I don’t want to overdo it, and he’s still in the lead in the golden gloves clean sheet race.

If we can get a whole season, or near enough, out of VVD/Gomez in front of Alisson, with Robbo and Trent in the fullback positions, the goals conceded column next season will be even more meagre.
The goals against have certainly increased during Gomez's absence, although other issues have played a part.

I think the full backs are a little fatigued by a lack of rotation. Remember that last season Robertson played just over half a season and TAA was regularly rotated with Gomez.

Also, for me Lovren and Matip both lack something, the former being erratic and the latter prone to being bullied by physical players.

Add in that many of our defenders are injury prone, and there is a strong case for some changes to be made to the squad.

We really need some like for like full back cover/rotation, and to seriously consider whether something should be done with the centre backs.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Don't get me wrong, I agree with that. But the referee made no call on the tugging, so having seen no illegal hold a split-second before, the tugging should not then be any real mitigating factor to Salah's lunge.
Yeah, that's the problem in that sequence of play and VAR. Selective review is going to be a problem, just like the one we equalised against Southampton. Some pointed out Salah was offside but by VAR review process, that won't be counted as it is not the direct cause of that goal. Just like this incident where if you take into account that tugging, it would have been foul the other way rather than Salah's stamp on Danilo. The many reasons I am not a fan of VAR and how it's being operated, which again showed yesterday can be a momentum killer too with unnecessary stop.

As for Alexander-Arnold supposed handball, I won't complain too damn much if we were to concede a pen last night. Fucking Alisson was doing his Mignolet impression very well while Milner doing a Moreno and Van Dijk did a Skrtel. All sorts of stupid in that one freaking move. Alisson for me would have been the one I point the blame to if the penalty was given, next will be Milner and Van Dijk.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Loved the first half, what a thrilling back and forth with high intensity capped off with 2 goals. Could have been more but good enough against a much improved Porto. Hendo did really well, looks a different player back at his old position. Very direct and kept the tempo high along side Naby who finally looks like the player we bought from RBL. A little lucky with the first goal taking a deflection but he's earned it. He really threaten Porto's defense almost every time he touched the ball in their half of the pitch. His defensive work was impressive as well making the most tackles and winning his duels. My MOTM but it could have gone to the Captain as well.

We could have and should have defended better but in the end we kept a clean sheet so a positive there. 90 minutes for Lovren too, a plus. Alisson with a couple good saves and Milly did quite well at LB which was a worry going into the match. What a ball from him for Mane that lead to Naby's goal! Fabinho didn't get a lot of time on the ball and a little heavy with his touch but kept putting himself about and broke up a few attacks, did his job. The front 3 weren't at their best but as a group they were good enough and worked hard. Mo's determination to get back when Porto were on a counter attack off of our set-piece was amazing. He spotted the break before it reached their player and outran them and made a clean tackle in our own box. Great stuff that.

On to Chelski at Anfield and hopefully another 3 points .

Noo Noo

Sorry to butt in guys but here's my view. I'm with Sportbilly on this. He's far better further forward and always has been

He has always had the number 14 and regarding his position it is the same advanced role (what most term as the number 8 box to box role) that he pkayed in our last run at the title in 2014.

IMO it is his best role has he has a great energy, but his injuries held him back also
The question is whether the foot injury prevents him from player further forward more often,

Even Klopp apologised to him for forcing him to play as a number 6 in his post match presser he is clearly better further forward and does his captain role better with the players in front of him by being vocal and VVD is the leader at the back it improved the balance of the team IMO.
His distribution was pretty good and the people at the end of his passes should have converted them into goals. DM is an ungrateful position at LFC Lucas got the same stick as Hendo for years but despite that he stayed loyal to Liverpool.
I don't think it is an ungrateful position, just difficult to do damn well in it. Mascherano nor Alonso are remembered fondly (yes Alonso had a slow start too). For me Lucas was limited - also note he was a converted box to box midfielder. Henderson is a compromise in the deeper role with Klopp fully aware of his limitations in that role but is happy to live with the compromise with the squad that he has.

I'm happy that we are now seeing him back in that natural position and I hope we'll see more of it. He'll change people's view on him I think and the experience of playing deeper will do him no harm whatsoever.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The goals against have certainly increased during Gomez's absence, although other issues have played a part.

I think the full backs are a little fatigued by a lack of rotation. Remember that last season Robertson played just over half a season and TAA was regularly rotated with Gomez.

Also, for me Lovren and Matip both lack something, the former being erratic and the latter prone to being bullied by physical players.

Add in that many of our defenders are injury prone, and there is a strong case for some changes to be made to the squad.

We really need some like for like full back cover/rotation, and to seriously consider whether something should be done with the centre backs.
I think Gomez is unlucky more than anything, there is not much of a connecting seam between his injuries. Matip and Lovren, something else going on there. But those four make for a pretty damned good rotation.

However, Milner's start at left back speaks volumes - which is not in the least a criticism of his performance last night.

Red over the water

I agree the defence could do with a bit of work, but tweaking, nothing major.

The first choice unit is fantastic. Alison, VVD, Gomez, TAA and Robbo. I honestly can’t think of another unit in world football I’d swap for that lot.

As we think about the squad behind it, if Mignolet chooses to move on to play more we need another goalkeeper.
We have some options at right back. The left back options are more scarce, and we definitely need to boost that area.
Central defence is an interesting conundrum. Personally if we can sell Lovren for a half decent price I would do it, and then reinvest the money on another player, and depending on who it is, add a bit more cash as needed.
Hoever is very highly rated and by the end of next season he may well be moving up the pecking order to be first choice cover.