• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Porto (UCL 9/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Keita [GOAL 5’]

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Firmino [GOAL 26’, off 82’]

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Mane [off 73’]

• Origi [on 73’]

• Sturridge [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dockers_strike

Good result and Id have taken 2-0 at kick off. Just need to maintain a clean sheet over there or, nick an away goal. Think we'll need to be on our toes though because they looked a lot better than last season.

Couple of talking points: Great to see Naby get another goal. If refs are going to start giving pens for the ball striking the arm of Trent then, we're going to see loads next season! Would be ridiculous decision. Mo was fortunate not to get a red card with that tackle. I dont think there was anything malicious in it, he was being pulled back and I think it was just one of those close contact things. In another game the ref may not have had a similar view. Thought Casillas was class but he's been moaning on social media about Mo and Trent. Cut it out lad. van Dijk really needs to stop pissing about expecting the keeper to come miles off his line just because he shouts for him to do so. You've got the ball, you take control. Another very good performance from Hendo. Mane looked pissed off at being subbed, not sure if he applauded the crowd but I didnt see it if he did. WTF Jurgen, gets Shaq stripped and ready to come on with seconds to play. Ref blows final whistle before he can. Not sure what was going on in a couple of blocks of the SKD Lower, looked like two whole blocks refused to sit down the whole game.

Looking forward to chelsea on Sunday now. Big score to settle.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Sorry to butt in guys but here's my view. I'm with Sportbilly on this. He's far better further forward and always has been

The question is whether the foot injury prevents him from player further forward more often,

I don't think it is an ungrateful position, just difficult to do damn well in it. Mascherano nor Alonso are remembered fondly (yes Alonso had a slow start too). For me Lucas was limited - also note he was a converted box to box midfielder. Henderson is a compromise in the deeper role with Klopp fully aware of his limitations in that role but is happy to live with the compromise with the squad that he has.

I'm happy that we are now seeing him back in that natural position and I hope we'll see more of it. He'll change people's view on him I think and the experience of playing deeper will do him no harm whatsoever.
The problem with Henderson is simply no-one knows what he has been asked to do in the no.6 role by Klopp. I'd say the fact Klopp smirks when he says he "forced" him to play no.6 against his natural game, leads me to assume Henderson has sacrificed himself for the team for 3 years. Not many players would do that and never once utter a word about it.

Further evidence for me is the 13/14 season when playing no.8 he was highly effective and a huge element of the title push then. You now add 2 games where he's been allowed to play with the same freedom and he looked the same player he was back then. Small sample size, but I would happily argue in his natural position, playing his natural game he is a top class talent.

Having Henderson further forward for this run in could easily be the catalyst for us winning a double. Everything else aside his pure passion and determination are traits you simply cannot buy nor train. Carragher was a key player making 700 appearances with the same traits.

Flobs

FADA
Nobody hates Henderson.
Why do you and others persist with this nonsense?
Have you seen some of the stuff written about him?
Much of it would make Boris Johnson blush. The way he has been treated by a section of our 'supporters' has been a disgrace. The more 'we' others rub it in and make them eat humble pie the better imo.

Flobs

FADA
Fair enough, haven't seen any OTT stuff about Henderson myself.
I have seen lots of adolescent type "haters" and "so called fans" comments though.
It's like I've travelled back 40 years to my school days
Just in it's relentness it has been OTT. Also haven't you just described hate? (A childish reaction to justify your prejustices).

Flobs

FADA
Who are the haters? People who might not have him in their first 11? Ergo, people who dont have Milner in their team should be branded Milner haters, and so on. Hendo was unfortunate in that he was compared to Gerrard, and that was never going to be favourable for him. If we are all being honest, we all want him to be the best. But he isnt our best DM, thats Fabinho. He isnt our best AM? Ox maybe?
I thought last night he was superb though, and whwn the shackles are iff he looks much more confident.
I dont neccessarily think he is in our best 11 automatically. Doesn't mean I hate him, and have seen rare glimpses of such in here.
I think the hater thing is overplayed to be fair.
Read through Henderson's thread then Milner's. If you don't notice a difference then just crawl back under you bed please.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Just in it's relentness it has been OTT. Also haven't you just described hate? (A childish reaction to justify your prejustices).
Are you asking if I have a prejudice towards Henderson?
If not you've otherwise completely lost me.

Flobs

FADA
Wow, 2-0 is pretty much the perfect result in Europe when playing the first game at home. Job not definitely done yet, but a good part of the way has been taken in terms of the result, and our lads find themselves in an excellent position now before the return game at Porto. Good to have been able to keep the clean sheet at the back, but to be honest, we are very lucky to be in that position. Keita's goal is a lucky deflection, coming after being under the cosh for the first fifteen minutes (very happy for the lad, that will do his confidence the world of good... twice now he has scored on quite unlikely deflections, he'll be delighted! lol)

On a better day, Marega could have had a hat-trick on himself, and our defensive play looked very suspect at times. We were also lucky to escape a penalty on a clear hands from TAA in the box. Lucky boy there...

Talking about defensively suspect... I wonder why Matip was replaced by Lovren for this one... hopefully he was just rested and nothing else. Against Chelsea, I certainly don't want a rusty and error-prone Lovren in that defence. Among other suspect things, he was guilty several times of wrong positioning in the defensive line, annihilating our usually efficient offside trap. At least once, it could and probably should have resulted in a goal for Porto.

On the other hand, our lads could have scored a couple more at least. Mané's disallowed goal came after a beautiful move, he was unlucky to be marginally offside... right decision by the linesman though. Mané was generally a bit unlucky with his attempts, as was Salah. Certainly room for improvement there.

Talking about what worked well, Firmino's tap-in is a text-book goal and move, absolutely wonderful. Henderson's through pass for TAA was a beauty to watch, I give him MoM only for that, even though he was excellent thoughout. Hopefully he can stay fit and healthy from now until the end of the season. A fit and confident Hendo will be key for us in the run-in.

For the return game, the first goal will be paramount. If we score it, it's pretty much game over. If Porto open the score though, they'll have a stadium on fire behind them, and looking at yesternight's performance, we'll be in danger. So, once again, it will be about keeping cool heads, defending well and pouncing on the chances our lads will get on the counter. I'm sure that Klopp will prepare them well for this.

And now back to the league. Chelsea next, very much looking forward to that game!
1st point your 15 minutes was actually 3 though I accept it did feel as long as the rest of the match. :Jlol
2nd point well look how we plyed with a high line. We actually managed to get a few offside calls, in our favor, fairly high up the pitch. So it was tactical. Lovren was pretty good even though he looked a bit off the pace (understandably). What was more interesting was how much more comfortable VVD looked in that partnership which made our lives so much easier.

Still a likeable post. :)

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Henderson was MOTM last night for me. Some other thoughts:

He isn't 'underappreciated' because he played as a #6. Fabinho seems to be pretty well rated, Macherano was well rated, Didi was well rated...Liverpool fans can appreciate a good defensive midfielder, Henderson simply isn't as good as those mentioned in that role and that's why he wasn't rated as highly. He's a good 2nd or 3rd choice option there though.

He hasn't been used as a box to box player for a while presumably because of his heel issue, and the games he has played there haven't been quite as impressive as say the 13/14 season. He's had a fantastic 120 minutes in that role now, if he can continue this long term then that puts our midfield in an incredibly healthy position. His passing is so much better when he's in a more advanced position as he's not receiving the ball whilst facing our goal as often, a situation he has a problem in when he's playing in the deep role as he struggles to turn on the ball. With the pitch open ahead of him he's much more comfortable.

This is an area of the pitch we can rotate comfortably now until the end of the season, all of our midfielders are now showing good form including Keita and Lallana. Henderson and Wijnaldum can both be able deputies in the '6' role as well as playing box to box.

It's a much maligned area of our team but we are deceptively good there. Henderson's last two performances have given us another little boost too. Promising stuff.

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
Even Klopp apologised to him for forcing him to play as a number 6 in his post match presser he is clearly better further forward and does his captain role better with the players in front of him by being vocal and VVD is the leader at the back it improved the balance of the team IMO.
His distribution was pretty good and the people at the end of his passes should have converted them into goals. DM is an ungrateful position at LFC Lucas got the same stick as Hendo for years but despite that he stayed loyal to Liverpool.
Well said, dude.

Flobs

FADA
Alisson pat the ball against the hand of TAA from a distance of about 2 yards away I'm thinking 'maybe that's a penalty' when, of course, it absolutely isn't.
Even so I think it was ruled as not being a penalty because as Alisson pointed out the ball was already out of play. It it hadn't have been we could have been talking about that incident a lot more on here. :)

RedLar

Selective vision by Iker; images deliberately taken out of context to present a misleading picture.

It was a 50-50 ball, and Mo was entitled to go for it. Danilo was more at fault; he was reckless; he dived into the tackle with both feet off the ground. Also, Mo was held back by Militão which prevented him from getting to the ball sooner.

As for the supposed hand ball, it was more ball to arm - Trent doesn't make an unnatural movement with his arm. And in any case, the ball looks to have been out of play when it struck Trent.

Different ref, different day, even the Lovren handball inside our box. Seen them all given. Correct choices all made IMHO. Biased as that may be.

Example: The PSG pen against United was very harsh IMHO, but something inside of me smiled as, as much as I despise United, I just dont like that worm of a manager at PSG.

Example 2: The pen city got was ludicrous. Justice done as Aguerro bottled it.

Example 3: The pen Roma got last year against Milner. Worst of the lot. No VAR (or was there?) but still given.

RedLar

Jeez dude...it's a common trope...and when it comes to the more frothing types amongst us (not only on TIA), when Hendo makes one mistake he gets kicked from pillar to post and has done for years. Countless posts on here to that effect, a similar number banging on about him not being the right skipper etc etc...

I'm just giving him what I believe are the plaudits he deserves.
Not unfair to say Henderson is a divisive player among fans. Some love him, some hate him. Many on the fence on him. Can frustrate, can inspire. Been decent all season, been inspired last few games, and think we are a better team with him in the side. Also think we are a better team with Fabinho in the side, so it is about who else Klopp plays with them.

Flobs

FADA
As CL quarterfinals go, this was a rather underwhelming affair. Almost routine like, certainly more relaxed than the recent league games.

The result is good enough but the performance could be improved on both ends of the field. Too many sloppy mistakes, too much wastefulness. The tie could have been effectively ended by now but the front three weren't at their best. Mane looked off and jaded, Firmino got a goal and was generally involved, but otherwise lacked cutting edge. Salah was just selfish. Kept the ball too long, either releasing it way too late or taking a shot that had no chance of threatening Casillas. Invariably he ended up wasting possession which is a shame because he was the most lively of the three.

Defensively, way too slack and open at times. None of the back four or the goalkeeper had a particularly good game. There was adequate protection from those ahead, but as already mentioned there were too many errors, both in covering and passing. The real standouts were Keita and Henderson. The former is starting to show why Klopp wanted him that much, the latter is displaying qualities that seemingly no one remembered that he possesses. Long may it continue.

The second leg won't be a formality, at least not without an away goal. But in all honesty, even when far from its best this Liverpool team looks a level above Porto. Another professional performance should be enough for a semifinal berth.
It is difficult to agree with any of your analysis.
Our front 3 were good, Mané was superb as was Firmino and the only thing wrong with Salah is he's not putting it in the back of the net otherwise he's doing everything else pretty much as well as he can.
Our defense was changed yet stood up to the challenge well, did you see how high they were set helping the midfield immensely?
We use 2 defenders every other team uses at least 3 usually 4 some scary moments are to be expected.
All in all this is game was the type of style i wish to see from LFC. For me it was our most accomplished game of the season. It can also be improved on because Robertson and Gomez are waiting on the side lines.
The future looks good from where I'm sitting. Just crossing my fingers that there aren't any injuries to come.

Flobs

FADA
Everyone who are footie analysts.

Sorry, I am the slow one, Klopp talked about playing Henderson in the advanced position. Isn't our Hendo a defensive midfielder (holding midfielder) and why was he wearing a no 14 position?

Also, this new advanced position, what type of role is required by a player on the pitch and is there football name for this type of advanced position?
Henderson has played many positions for us in his long carreer with us. He was converted to DM and was never a 'natural' there. Now when we have the ball his job is to become available between the 'enemies' defense and midfield before as DM his job was to sit infront of our defense between the opposition attack and midfield. As this is Henderson he now does everything a midfielder can do however Klopp has given him the opportunity to get further forward when he sees fit. Which is why we see him in the 'enemies' box on occasion.
Don't worry Maria he'll still defend when necessary. ;-)
14 is the number he was given perhaps as long ago as when he came to Anfield, it has nothing to do with his position it's just an administrative thing (all players need to be registered with a number. As his number doesn't change from season to season I hazard to say he likes that number.
Last night he was playing the advanced playmaker role. He stayed between the opposition midfield and defensive lines moving around to make himself availble looking for the pass to initiate attacks.

PeachesEnRegalia

No Offense, @Maria....
Hendo's red card in the run in of the 13/14 season is what ultimately lost us the league. I said it then, and I've never been dissuaded from that position. Had he been on the pitch against Chelsea, we would have won, or at least drawn that match.

If him being moved to the number 8 role for the last 9 matches of this season doesn't send a rush of blood to your walloper, nothing will.

Flobs

FADA
Alisson is concerning me too. Looks like he is no longer transmitting confidence to the CBs (VVD especially). His handling and decision making has also been suspect and he has really looked fairly average in the last 3 months. My worry is that the infamous curse of the goalkeeping coach is underway - IMO he looks quite a bit worse now than in August. Given what has happened with our previous GKs I think we can now conclude that we need a new goalkeeping coach.
He has a very difficult role considering how we defend. It's nigh on impossible for him to decide when to come for the ball as our defense is nearly always running back towards him. I think he's doing just fine and our goals conceded is statistical proof of that.

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
Hendo's red card in the run in of the 13/14 season is what ultimately lost us the league. I said it then, and I've never been dissuaded from that position. Had he been on the pitch against Chelsea, we would have won, or at least drawn that match.

If him being moved to the number 8 role for the last 9 matches of this season doesn't send a rush of blood to your walloper, nothing will.
You're eating pot noodles again, aren't you?

Alright Now

You’ve never said anything of that sort to anyone’s knowledge.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Porto is still in Portugal. This is what Portuguese teams do. The national team, their club teams, my local Portuguese community club of over 35s. It is just part of the way they play the game, holding all over the field, lots of sly stepping on feet, jabs in the ribs, going down like a sniper hit them, you name it.
Heh heh. Played PCOV more than a few times during my time in VMSL. Very familiar.

They and ISCF were the hardest teams to play and we got worked over regularly. Think we only beat them a handful of times in a decade