• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Porto (UCL 9/4/2019 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Keita [GOAL 5’]

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Firmino [GOAL 26’, off 82’]

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Mane [off 73’]

• Origi [on 73’]

• Sturridge [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commando

Ad-free Member
Last night our Grandson Frankie stayed at ours. This morning he says to me "was the football good Grand". "Yeah" I replied. He said "we watched the other football". Mrs CDO is a Citeh fan. "They were singing a boring song". I says "was it Oh when the Spurs go marching in?", in my best funeral dirge singalong voice. He confirmed that it was. Even at six years of age he knows that their version of it is shite. lol

Alright Now

Not worried about @Semmy. I’ve met Bobby and I told him I knew about him from his Hoffenheim days. He loved it. Bobby just views @Semmy as another Sammy-come-lately.

Speaking of which, my daughter had a friend over the other day who turned out to be a Reds fan. He tried to outshine me by asking if I had any Liverpool shirts. I said I had 4 Bobby shirts for starters. Silence.

I left the conversation beaming.

Alright Now

Last night our Grandson Frankie stayed at ours. This morning he says to me "was the football good Grand". "Yeah" I replied. He said "we watched the other football". Mrs CDO is a Citeh fan. "They were singing a boring song". I says "was it Oh when the Spurs go marching in?", in my best funeral dirge singalong voice. He confirmed that it was. Even at six years of age he knows that their version of it is shite. lol
Howling!

RedForever2014

If a proper 6 is required then clearly Fabinho is that man, but given that his all round game is much more than many 6's out there, there's an argument for him starting most matches anyway. It's not like you lose anything offensively in using Fabinho at 6 versus other options.

Henderson has probably edged ahead of the rest as the second starting central midfielder just now, which given that he's probably better in the role a bit further forward than the 6 anyway, especially as he's to the right hand side and can help our least defensively adept full back, means he and Fabinho can be fielded together without any real issues.

Aside from a bit of rotation to those two, it's really about the third choice.

Gini, when fresh, has been our best performer of the rest this season, but Keita is more creative and better suited to the left of the midfield three.

Robertson's energy and better positional sense means we can afford to have a more creative left central midfielder, although Keita does good defensive work too.

It's a good position to be in, although a slight word of caution is that we have not seen any midfield combination totally dominate top class midfields enough to say for certain that we have it just right just yet.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Henderson has played many positions for us in his long carreer with us. He was converted to DM and was never a 'natural' there. Now when we have the ball his job is to become available between the 'enemies' defense and midfield before as DM his job was to sit infront of our defense between the opposition attack and midfield. As this is Henderson he now does everything a midfielder can do however Klopp has given him the opportunity to get further forward when he sees fit. Which is why we see him in the 'enemies' box on occasion.
Don't worry Maria he'll still defend when necessary. ;-)
14 is the number he was given perhaps as long ago as when he came to Anfield, it has nothing to do with his position it's just an administrative thing (all players need to be registered with a number. As his number doesn't change from season to season I hazard to say he likes that number.
Last night he was playing the advanced playmaker role. He stayed between the opposition midfield and defensive lines moving around to make himself availble looking for the pass to initiate attacks.
This is what I was looking for :J. Now I understand, thank you Flobs, you are a star.:well done:

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Hendo's red card in the run in of the 13/14 season is what ultimately lost us the league. I said it then, and I've never been dissuaded from that position. Had he been on the pitch against Chelsea, we would have won, or at least drawn that match.

If him being moved to the number 8 role for the last 9 matches of this season doesn't send a rush of blood to your walloper, nothing will.
Tbf, I would attribute Luis Suarez's 8 match ban to some extent, because, had he not been penalised, due to that Evra incidence, we would have won comfortably. Thus, I blame that tosser Evra.

Last edited:

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Perhaps you should write what you mean?
Or where you just trying to play devils advocate in a very clumsy manner?
My point that you didnt understand?
Ok......
Not everyone that was critical of Hendo, or that would not have Hendo in their first eleven is not automatically a "hater ".
Its an emotive, lazy way to describe people, unless they actually say they "hate" the guy.
I wouldnt neccessarily have him in my preferred team, though recent performances would cause a rethink. Doesn't mean I hate him.
The comparrison with Milner? Well, because Milner might not make it into peoples teams doesn't get them branded as Milner haters.
No devils advocacy.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Great game, particularly the first half. Two goals is enough - surely?
2 goals should be enough, means for Porto to go through within normal time, they need to win 3-0 which I struggle to see them doing. Porto winning the 2nd leg is a possibility, but I don't see them winning by enough to knock us out.

Best for all concerned though that we score early just to be certain as that would mean them needing 4 which is definitely beyond their ability

Flobs

FADA
My point that you didnt understand?
Ok......
Not everyone that was critical of Hendo, or that would not have Hendo in their first eleven is not automatically a "hater ".
Its an emotive, lazy way to describe people, unless they actually say they "hate" the guy.
I wouldnt neccessarily have him in my preferred team, though recent performances would cause a rethink. Doesn't mean I hate him.
The comparrison with Milner? Well, because Milner might not make it into peoples teams doesn't get them branded as Milner haters.
No devils advocacy.
The thing is though is why did you feel singled out when another poster mentions Henderson haters?
A good number of posts in Henderson's thread can only be described as hateful and hurtful. It's not about being critcal, I get it I'm critcal of Wijnaldum and have actually been described by some as a Wijnaldum hater yet I have never said anything that falls to the shit spout out about Henderson by certain. Yet no one comes to my defense and i don't expect or need it.
So why do you feel obliged to defend Henderson haters?
As of lazy, well no it's not it's the feeling some of us get when others write such nonsense about LFC's longest serving current squad member, the club captain a dedicated professional who lives and breathes LFC.

RedLar

Really do hate the chant too..... Glad I'm not the only one. Did I hear them playing glory glory tune at the end of their match last night? Thought that was a man united dirge.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
The thing is though is why did you feel singled out when another poster mentions Henderson haters?
Long unhealthy history of paranoia.

Fair point though, but I really hate generalisations.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I also think the role JK has asked him to play has led to this misconception that he's not contributing much. I often think he looks far more forward-thinking when he's playing for England although I don't tend to pay much attention to their games. He's got 6 or 7 goals a season in him given the freedom.
Agree with this I think he plays how he understands Jurgen wants him to for us, however with England the shackles seem less

Commando

Ad-free Member
Great game, particularly the first half. Two goals is enough - surely?

Yes I think it will be. But don't call me Shirley. lol

Really do hate the chant too..... Glad I'm not the only one. Did I hear them playing glory glory tune at the end of their match last night? Thought that was a man united dirge.
Pit has been many teams' chant but Spurs had it before Manure.

Long unhealthy history of paranoia.

Fair point though, but I really hate generalisations.
All generalisations or particular ones? lol

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Yet it wasn't a generalisation it was specifically aimed at people who hate Henderson. :tongue:
Btw don't worry about the paranoia, those who don't suffer it just have a very thick irremovable mask. ;-)
Its not the haters that get me but the posters who blame him to get 'browny points/likes' as he his what I would call an easy target, as was Lucas.
He may play 2 bad passes whilst having a good game and still get villified and the also the assertion that he only plays sidewards or backward passes, which has been debunked with stats.
Hendo still gas weaknesses, which IMO is that he doesn't/didn't move into the soace with the ball & also sometimes turns the wrong way when receiving the ball.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Not worried about @Semmy. I’ve met Bobby and I told him I knew about him from his Hoffenheim days. He loved it. Bobby just views @Semmy as another Sammy-come-lately.

Speaking of which, my daughter had a friend over the other day who turned out to be a Reds fan. He tried to outshine me by asking if I had any Liverpool shirts. I said I had 4 Bobby shirts for starters. Silence.

I left the conversation beaming.
I doubt I'll have the opportunity to meet him, but thanks for that.

Does anyone have a member account with the club who can try to get me one of the tickets due to release tomorrow at 8:15am by the club? I need one for Huddersfield, I'm coming in for 26th/27th and really want to see the match but I cannot register due to being out of the UK to buy a ticket. two weeks out, getting excited!!!!!

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/tickets/tickets-availability

@Red_Jedi @SBYM @ptt @Commando anyone able to help out?