Post Match: Liverpool v Sheffield Utd (EPL 2/1/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Robertson [off 88’]

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Henderson

Votes: 82 66.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • Milner

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Salah [GOAL 4’, off 90+1]

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Firmino

• Mane [GOAL 64’, off 78’]

Votes: 47 37.9%
  • Origi [on 78’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lallana [on 88’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elliot [on 90+1’]

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Routine win,made so by a terrific team effort.
The Blades hardly laid a glove on us,respect to wilder for his comments though!
MOTM Hendo,a year or two ago you wondered sometimes why he was there.
We are now seeing the answer to that,great distribution added to his work ethic,though today we saw plenty of good passing.

Limiescouse

No unnecessary energy wasted, 3 points, clean sheet MotM, Sadio Mané.
It was boring when it finally came, but this is the performance we've all been desperate to see since Klopp arrived. The Heavy metal mentalist football that is so fun to watch is not sustainable 90 minutes a game 60+ games a season so we were all desperate for the games where we could control them while taking our foot of the accelerator. We did that today for 85 minutes. We worked when we needed to (when we didnt have the ball) and coasted the rest of the time. Proper champions football.

What was so fascinating about though was Wilder's comments afterwards. Search out the interview if you havent seen it - it's class. He basically said that you can forget all the fancy coaching and theories, where liverpool won today was simply because they won every battle in every area of the pitch. And he was right. That seems incongruous with my first paragraph, but it isnt. We somehow were both physically dominant while doing very little. This really is the evolution we all wanted to see.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I really thought Sheffield United were going to do one on us. How wrong I was.
Our team, I am running out of words to say 'how supreme they are'. We are not even in 4th gear and we managed not to concede goals with two tough opponents.
MOTM. The entire team.
I am worried for Naby, we need him for Champions league as well.

My nephew was working out the calculations of points till may. I do not want to think about it.

On Henderson, just when we have 2 seconds of doubt, our gaffer puts us in our place.

Magnus

I regret not casting my third vote-to Henderson. Because I simply forgot him and he controlled the midfield and played some delicious balls. Oh well. Sadio and Mohammad were excellent as well, so I can take some comfort in giving the votes to them. But I really should have voted for 3 players...

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Why do you think I'm joking?

The team I suggested (copied below for reference) only includes 4 starters from today, and it would include even less if we weren't so crippled with injuries to CB's (Matip/Lovren) as well as in midfield (Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Shaqiri). The midfield injuries also have a knock-on effect at LB as Milner surely would have been in the plans for Everton (probably at LB) but had to play 90 mins today because of Keita's injury.

------------------ Adrian -----------------------
Neco -- Gomez ----- Van Dijk --- Robertson
---------------- Henderson --------------------
---------- Lallana --------- Jones -------------
Elliott ------------ Origi ------------ Minamino

In any case, 3 of the 4 (Gomez/Van Dijk/Henderson) play in defensive positions and hardly broke a sweat today so they should be fine for Sunday. If anyone is a doubt in the lineup above it would be Robertson but he was subbed early today which suggests he might be in the plans for Everton (though I wouldn't be surprised if Milner got the nod at LB instead).
VVD never missed a game, our players need a better rest for the hard period with 3 tough games in the league, why play them in a pointless cup game. And i mean it is pointless this season at least, let the kids play and enjoy themselves. Next big one is spuds away, that's were we need 100% energy. That's my thinking anyway.

[email protected]

Gotta hand it to the Sheffield United fans too. Were noisy, sang good songs and added to what sounded like a great atmosphere. I didn't get any snide or derogatory chants from them and sounded like they got a nice hand when they sang 'Champions of League Two, you'll never sing that'.

Wilder showed absolute class. I know we're being magnanimous in victory but it's really not; the man is a fantastic coach and has really showed up the big spenders, the purists and dinosaurs alike with what he has done and he's done it without being an obnoxious twat. He's spoken his mind, criticised where criticism was warranted and gave fair dues where it was won. Alot of managers in this league, and abroad, would do well to take note.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

Wilder showed absolute class. I know we're being magnanimous in victory but it's really not; the man is a fantastic coach and has really showed up the big spenders, the purists and dinosaurs alike with what he has done and he's done it without being an obnoxious twat. He's spoken his mind, criticised where criticism was warranted and gave fair dues where it was won. Alot of managers in this league, and abroad, would do well to take note.
Agree totally. Again though, it comes down to authenticity. Learning about leadership theory can be valuable, but the reality is you can never sustain any sort of success by employing a leadership strategy that is not authentically you. There is so much about Wilder and Klopp that looks rife for stealing, but you just look like a tit if you consciously have to try it.

Last edited:

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
I regret not casting my third vote-to Henderson. Because I simply forgot him and he controlled the midfield and played some delicious balls. Oh well. Sadio and Mohammad were excellent as well, so I can take some comfort in giving the votes to them. But I really should have voted for 3 players...
You are allowed to change your vote.

Limiescouse

He showed his leadership bona fides with that comment about effort earlier in the year, imo.
Definitely. And I think he did it again tonight. He did not let his players off the hook by losing to a better team but instead raised the issue that if super stars like liverpool players can work that hard on the basics then it's good enough for anyone to do it. Its a perfect message, but also the perfect messenger. My point, if it wasnt clear, is that there are elements of coaches like Pep you can try to copy, and you can end up with someone very knowledgeable like Rodgers that way. You simply cannot try to copy some of the intangible stuff that Wilder (and Klopp) bring to the table, even if you can characterize it well enough to be able to come up with a play book to steal from. Again, that is how you end up with someone like Rodgers.

Last edited:

Libero

Joe, Virg and Jordan the standouts for me tonight with the captain taking most of the praise, he was magnificent again and has really stepped it up in the absence of Fabinho. So pleased for him.

The heart of the defence is back to its best, Joe has been so good since he has been back and Virgil, what more can you say about the bloke. World class. Really important that we have found that solidity going into the second half of the season. I love clean sheets!

As for the game, total control just lovely what we are seeing from this team week in week out, I don’t know how they keep doing it, a year unbeaten 85 points from 87. Crazy, witnessing something special and so much credit must go to the players and of course Klopp and the coaching staff.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Why do you think I'm joking?

The team I suggested (copied below for reference) only includes 4 starters from today, and it would include even less if we weren't so crippled with injuries to CB's (Matip/Lovren) as well as in midfield (Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Shaqiri). The midfield injuries also have a knock-on effect at LB as Milner surely would have been in the plans for Everton (probably at LB) but had to play 90 mins today because of Keita's injury.

------------------ Adrian -----------------------
Neco -- Gomez ----- Van Dijk --- Robertson
---------------- Henderson --------------------
---------- Lallana --------- Jones -------------
Elliott ------------ Origi ------------ Minamino

In any case, 3 of the 4 (Gomez/Van Dijk/Henderson) play in defensive positions and hardly broke a sweat today so they should be fine for Sunday. If anyone is a doubt in the lineup above it would be Robertson but he was subbed early today which suggests he might be in the plans for Everton (though I wouldn't be surprised if Milner got the nod at LB instead).
I would get the bloke we got back from Germany in and van Dijk out and play Milner instead of Henderson.

Oh, and I would definitely play Becker in goal.

Red over the water

I hope Sheffield Utd stay in the Prem for a good while to come. Proper city, good people. Sheffield Utd have had a lot of years outside the big time, but they have retained a passionate, and good sized core of supporters. And unlike a lot of fans (who aren’t necessarily from Beverly Hills themselves) they don’t sing about slums or any of that stuff. They keep the banter good natured, and get behind their team.

On the pitch they try to play the game. No play acting or nonsense like that, and I’ve been surprised at the level of football they have played this season. They also try to have a go, when more expensively assembled outfits cower in the corner and embarrass themselves as footballers by being so negative. Wilder is a very good manager who will probably be linked with bigger jobs, so it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds for him, but he goes about his business the right way.

Last edited:

Red over the water

Tough to say what team I’d pick against Everton. It’s not the top priority, but I have been a bit frustrated going out of the FA Cup early on in recent years. Granted, a lot of that is down to the draw, as we will shuffle the pack, so we could come unstuck against Prem opposition. However...

Its Everton. I really don’t want to lose to them! We might be World, European and Prem Champions, and Everton will sing about knocking us out of the cup.

Theres no way it will be a full strength side. But hopefully we have enough about us to knock them out. Minamino plays. Adrian too. Maybe a couple of excellent youngsters like Hoever and Elliot. And I don’t feel good about Robbo playing, as we have the least cover for him, and there are bigger fish to fry.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I hope Sheffield Utd stay in the Prem for a good while to come. Proper city, good people. Sheffield Utd have had a lot of years outside the big time, but they have retained a passionate, and good sized core of supporters. And unlike a lot of fans (who aren’t necessarily from Beverly Hills themselves) they don’t sing about slums or any of that stuff. They keep the banter good natured, and get behind their team.

On the pitch they try to play the game. No play acting or nonsense like that, and I’ve been surprised at the football they have played this season. They also try to have a go, when more extensively assembled outfits cower in the corner and embarrass themselves as footballers by being so negative. Wilder is a very good manager who will probably be linked with bigger jobs, so it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds for him, but he goes about his business the right way.
Greasy Chip Butty! One of my favorite songs in English football.

And agreed with the rest. Hope they make sound purchases this window and find themselves in a European spot at the end of the season. I’ll always root for them.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Very late report from anfield:

I got my ticket in the hospitality mid section of main stand. Lad was in upper main stand and daughter in Kenny stand.

Strange hungover atmosphere at anfield pre match. That carried through.

Didn’t get out of 2nd gear. Dominated without going for it. 2-0 could have should have been more.

3 points bagged. Records broken. 2020 set up nicely.

On to the next match.

It’ll be buzzing on Sunday, make no mistake.