• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Sheffield Utd (EPL 2/1/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Robertson [off 88’]

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Henderson

Votes: 82 66.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • Milner

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Salah [GOAL 4’, off 90+1]

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Firmino

• Mane [GOAL 64’, off 78’]

Votes: 47 37.9%
  • Origi [on 78’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lallana [on 88’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elliot [on 90+1’]

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flobs

FADA
I agree. And a very decent observation on Salah's pace. The one moment that sticks in my mind last night was when Salah was put in on goal after wrapping round Mane who flicked it into his path. It was on his left, admittedly moving away from goal but the shot was tame and straight at the keeper. Salah of last season puts that in.

I think there have been occasions in the past when we've suffered from not being clinical enough. I'm hoping that's not something we will come to regret again this season.
I don't agree with that, Salah has always missed lots of chances the factor at the moment is he's not creating as many chances as he did before. If he has lost a bit of pace that doesn't factor in that heavily as his main weapon was his dribbling which hasn't been curtailed by that.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Very true on the midfield and I've been guilty of being critical of them in the past. They certainly did a job yesterday, with Henderson certainly standing out for me. He really looks like the club captain now. He seems to have taken that last little step up and is leading by example, so congrats to him for that.

Not sure what is going on with Salah, perhaps my expectations are too high? He was still super dangerous and got another assist yesterday but I do feel he should have scored at least one yesterday. I also feel (I have no proof) that he either loses possession or moves break down with him at times. Same with Firmino for that matter but this is me being super critical and I doubt I'd change anything given the way we are going at the moment. It's one of those things that Klopp is fully aware of I bet and will just manage in his own way.

To be honest I almost feel guilty for mentioning it.
I think it's just a small lull in form and maybe a slight bit of tiredness,nothing a small break (week off in feb) or take them off after 60mins a few times wouldn't fix,especially with Firmino,he looked well out of sorts lastnight against Sheffield U,i don't think i've seen him play so many wrong passes or ones that have lacked weight to reach the intended player ever,but like they say form is temporary,class is permanent and if they are playing bad now (and we are at this level) i can't wait till they are on top form. lol

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I don't think Salah's lost any pace, just been hampered by his ankle injury for a decent chunk of the season. If you think back to the community shield game or home game vs Arsenal there are plenty of examples of him leaving the opposition for dead.

His main asset is his movement, and that's still there. As long as he keeps getting in these positions we'll keep scoring goals. He's incredibly frustrating when he's constantly messing things up but eventually it tends to pay off for him.

Noo Noo

I don't agree with that, Salah has always missed lots of chances the factor at the moment is he's not creating as many chances as he did before. If he has lost a bit of pace that doesn't factor in that heavily as his main weapon was his dribbling which hasn't been curtailed by that.
Not sure myself but I do take your point. I think my main issue is that he is certainly not as accurate as he has been. Re his pact thing, I've also noticed that he gets less room to run into these days, most likely due to tactical changes by the opposition and the fact that we are becoming more dominant in possession.

I think it's just a small lull in form and maybe a slight bit of tiredness,nothing a small break (week off in feb) or take them off after 60mins a few times wouldn't fix,especially with Firmino,he looked well out of sorts lastnight against Sheffield U,i don't think i've seen him play so many wrong passes or ones that have lacked weight to reach the intended player ever,but like they say form is temporary,class is permanent and if they are playing bad now (and we are at this level) i can't wait till they are on top form. lol
I'll be honest, for me he hasn't been quite right all season but I do understand that I'm really nit picking.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Gotta hand it to the Sheffield United fans too. Were noisy, sang good songs and added to what sounded like a great atmosphere. I didn't get any snide or derogatory chants from them and sounded like they got a nice hand when they sang 'Champions of League Two, you'll never sing that'.

Wilder showed absolute class. I know we're being magnanimous in victory but it's really not; the man is a fantastic coach and has really showed up the big spenders, the purists and dinosaurs alike with what he has done and he's done it without being an obnoxious twat. He's spoken his mind, criticised where criticism was warranted and gave fair dues where it was won. Alot of managers in this league, and abroad, would do well to take note.
That was pretty funny.

Wilder will have loved that match as defining the tone for his side, while not actually getting mauled. Just simple things like Origi tracking a run into his own box with just a couple of minutes left, that is the sort of thing he will point to and demand his own side match it. Probably don't have the horses in the stable to catch 4th, and making the Europa League is a mixed blessing, but Wilder deserves to make the next step up in the management ladder by taking his side into Europe.

Flobs

FADA
Since when did Aussie's roast anything? Strictly BBQ I always thought.
??? You give them a lot more benefit of the doubt than I do. I thought they drank so much beer that the only thing they risked burning was themselves and leading to being 'real' men eating everything raw. ;)

Arminius

FSG PR plant
??? You give them a lot more benefit of the doubt than I do. I thought they drank so much beer that the only thing they risked burning was themselves and leading to being 'real' men eating everything raw. ;)
Nah, one needs the beer for the patience to employ proper technique

Noo Noo

:LOL: Well I did live there for 10+ years and came to learn that they did indeed drink. Food wise everything was simply chucked on the fire under the false guise of "the bloke" being in full control of the "BBQ" which became a proper name of anything with an open flame.

They have since evolved to survive on high levels of charcoal in their diet. The beer helps to dissolve it.

Limiescouse

3 tough games coming up(tottenham, man utd and wolves) maintain the 13 points lead till april. I do believe we will secure title after game 34. Earlier if city and leicester drop points
This really is the toughest period now. As you say, a tough 5 game run (I'm counting the last 2 wins given those teams are essentially in the same place in the table as Utd and Spurs), plus the game in hand is going to be used. We're in such a dominant position that even a truly awful month will still see us on top, but if we can get through the month with anything close to a 10 point lead after the GiH has been played, then I think it's over.

Limiescouse

I haven’t really wanted to admit it to myself, but I’ve felt for a while he’s lost a yard of pace. Doesn’t look anywhere near as nippy as he did in his first two seasons.

A few people have picked up on me saying that the front three aren’t clicking, which seems a bit off after two of them score. But I think we have to be honest that there is a profligacy about them at the minute that must be worked on.

On a few occasions last night, we could have put daylight between us and Sheff Utd, and good opportunities to play the right through ball or square pass were refused.

My worry is that there is going to come a point this season where that clinical ruthlessness is going to be required, and at the minute it isn’t there.
Honestly, this is no different than its ever been. This team's goal scoring brilliance has never been down to being clinical. We have always been a choppy and inconsistent side in that area, we just create so many damn chances.

Last edited:

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Savour every moment, we're witnessing history. The amount of records this team can topple is mind-blowing.
Don’t count your chickens... we’ve won nothing yet.

Well, except for the European Super Cup and Club World Championship. But they don’t count, apparently.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Not sure myself but I do take your point. I think my main issue is that he is certainly not as accurate as he has been. Re his pact thing, I've also noticed that he gets less room to run into these days, most likely due to tactical changes by the opposition and the fact that we are becoming more dominant in possession.
In the build up to the game Sky were showing a special on Salah’s record first season. He looked a different player, honestly. He was bursting past defenders, leaving them for dead, and his pace was unreal.

It might be that he is not getting the space from other sides now. It might be that he is still carrying pain from that awful Choudery tackle. It could be that he is being held back a bit by our tactics, in the interests of balance (is is putting in a noticeably more diligent defensive shift at times this year)

Limiescouse

In the build up to the game Sky were showing a special on Salah’s record first season. He looked a different player, honestly. He was bursting past defenders, leaving them for dead, and his pace was unreal.

It might be that he is not getting the space from other sides now. It might be that he is still carrying pain from that awful Choudery tackle. It could be that he is being held back a bit by our tactics, in the interests of balance (is is putting in a noticeably more diligent defensive shift at times this year)
I think his strength in hold up play and his ability to wriggle through challenges has led to refs letting far too much go on him. I think he's started to be targeted a bit by defenders and isnt getting anything like the support from refs he should be. I have seen him not accelerate to try to win balls that he looked favourite for and that might look like he's lost a yard of pace, when it's likely more a case of him being a bit more conservative and avoiding challenges in which he reasonably thinks the defender is going to leave a bit on him.

SBYM

Alright Now's emotional support peacock
Ad-free Member

What a fucking season that was...

I reckon it took 38 games for everyone to scratch their eyes and ask, WTF just happened??

He must be a bit sore...he hasn't really had a chance to rest a niggling ankle.

I reckon @Limiescouse is probably correct, defenders are shitting themselves before even stepping on the pitch and both they and Mo have adjusted their games accordingly.

That said, he has been a bit profligate of late, or at least it seems that way...he just could not miss two seasons ago, whereas now a lot of those shots from a step or two inside the box are blocked immediately due to the aforementioned close attention.

Red over the water

I think Salah has lost a yard of pace. It remains to be seen if it is because he isn't going fully flat out yet, after a couple of injuries, or if it is a permanent thing. He is still fast, but not blisteringly so. His finishing is also reverting to his average, after his one season where he racked up Messi/Ronaldo type numbers.

He is, obviously, an excellent player and I'm glad we have him. I think he is coming to terms with his own standing in the game, and that's why we see a few shrugs and glimpses of discontent. He looked to be the one player who was knocking on the door of dominance as we look to a post-Messi/Ronaldo future, but Mo has now slipped back to being 'merely' one of the world's ten best.

Very good player and I'm glad he's ours, but of the current front three, he would be the one I'd be least gutted about if he moved on.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
I think Salah has lost a yard of pace. It remains to be seen if it is because he isn't going fully flat out yet, after a couple of injuries, or if it is a permanent thing. He is still fast, but not blisteringly so. His finishing is also reverting to his average, after his one season where he racked up Messi/Ronaldo type numbers.

He is, obviously, an excellent player and I'm glad we have him. I think he is coming to terms with his own standing in the game, and that's why we see a few shrugs and glimpses of discontent. He looked to be the one player who was knocking on the door of dominance as we look to a post-Messi/Ronaldo future, but Mo has now slipped back to being 'merely' one of the world's ten best.

Very good player and I'm glad he's ours, but of the current front three, he would be the one I'd be least gutted about if he moved on.
It may well be he will never hit the heights of that first season again, but even looking well short of his best he is in pace for a third straight season of 20+ goals in the premier league and there are lots of reasons - tactical and health related - why the list of players who have done that is very short.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Dominant performance from our mighty Red men. Men against boys. Hendo and Gini were both immense again. Gomez looking reassured. Another clean sheet. 969 passes!!! I knew it was a lot but over 900!!!

Utmost respect to the Sheff Utd manager, his post match remarks were glowing with praise for our mighty Red men. Rightfully so.

And now onto the derby.............I'm available Jurgen if needed, either in goal or CB!!! I have lost my agility and pace though!!!