Post Match: Liverpool v Southampton (EPL 1/2/20 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Henderson [GOAL 60’, off 88’]

Votes: 91 61.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wijnaldum [off 81’]

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 47’, off 73’]

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 71’, 90']

Votes: 73 49.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 65 43.6%
  • Keita [on 73’]

• Minamino [on 81’]

• Lallana [on 88’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Well if that’s a stonewall pen on Ings, let’s call it even then with their rugby tackle of Bobby at the goal mouth? Meltdown averted.

EDIT: and no, it’s not even remotely a stonewall pen. Ings was looking for contact and he made a meal of it.
Agree and disagree both were penalties, just shows up VAR as the shit show it is.

Get decisions right!!! not this clear and obvious shite.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Agree and disagree both were penalties, just shows up VAR as the shit show it is.

Get decisions right!!! not this clear and obvious shite.
No, I absolutely 100% agree with what you’re saying. My point was isolated to how big of a talking point this “Ings penalty” has become and IMO its shouldn’t be. It’s already tiresome everyone is banging on about the non call on Ings as if Liverpool got away with some egregious favouritism that decided the match result, without mentioning the equally gray area Firmino tackle. One and the same, and I’m totally fine with both non-calls.

EDIT: I said in the match thread at the time it happened, I love Ingsy as much as anyone but he was embarrassing himself in that situation going down that easily.

Last edited:

Red Skip

Red Skip
Delighted with another Home Win - Three Points - Clean Sheet - Four Goals in the opponents net - 73 points and more to follow.

Red men you are just a Phenomenal Mighty Red Machine. :D :D Well Done Red Men. YNWA Enjoy your rest time.

I'm one Happy Liver Bird Red Tonight. :D(y)

Gazmaninaus

Gosh it’s amazing to think of the shite Henderson used to get on here. Also only 2-3 weeks ago Salah was a selfish donkey and needed to move on. How times change in the world of football. Love the way this team just keep busting down the doors. Actually considering the large number of goals scored by numerous different players. The only trophy we might miss out on is leading goal scorer trophy.

jamie_liverpool

TIA New Signing
This team! I don’t post often but always read daily, my last post was after the Barcelona demolition job last season.

I’m 32 years old and so have spent many a year watching a very inconsistent Liverpool always having the potential to get back to the top of the mountain but always falling short before reaching the top and sliding back down.

But my god not this Liverpool! I actually dread the thought of ever going back to the mediocre days, even the thought of dropping any points now makes me feel sick inside, this family of players have set heights I did not think possible!

I always imagined if we were ever to win the league again it would be dramatic, last day, last minute winner or comeback style, as we are accustomed to with Liverpool FC, but this squad is incredible!

MOTM I voted Bobby, Ox and Hendo.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
The wind caused a lot of problems for both sides today, especially in the 1st half, but I felt we went up a gear after half time and just blew Southampton away with what I would describe as exhibition football, it was that good. Maybe Southampton should’ve had a penalty, but then we should’ve had one in the 1st half. Henderson, the Ox and Salah superb today. Enjoy the 2week break lads and come back refreshed for the title run in.

Oh yeh! The DVD of Everton’s historic comeback against 2nd from bottom WATFORD, is available next week!

Commando

Ad-free Member
Poor first half, brilliant second half. Four goals three points, job done.

On the penalty shouts. The Firmino incident was a definite pen. He had both hands on his shoulders. The Ings one was in my opinion a penalty as well. Fab had a little nibble after the initial challenge. Ings lost his footing from it so for me it was a pen.

The Robbo pass back I thought was an attempt to play it off the Southampton player for a goal kick, but it missed him and went to Alisson.

jaffod

Never a 4-0 game that. Southampton played like they were on drugs. Let's hope they play like that when Abu Dhabi go there.

First half we seemed determined to give them a goal and Allison kept us in it. Second half we stepped it up and played some brilliant football.

Allison, Hendo and Salah got my vote. Henderson is playing the best football of his career, I don't think I've ever seen a player who has gone from being berated like he was to being almost worshipped like he is atm. Nobody deserves to lift this trophy more than him.

Doubt we'll ever see anything like this again, it's fucking insane what this team is doing.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Hassenhutl is bleating about the penalty they didn’t get and saying “you need brave referees at Anfield”. Sky are all over that comment, so why didn’t they counter that by pointing out that we had a stonewall penalty denied in the 1st half by the very same referee?? It’s just shit journalism from Sky, who just want a headline. I guarantee the next referee at Anfield will want to prove how ‘brave’ he is.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Reat game,not the first half though,second half don't really know who could beat us.
That said it wasn't as easy as the score line suggests,Soton certainly took it up to us for a long while.
Bobby's 3 assists was great to see,Mo with a brace,might settle him down even more.
Hendo, another blinder,he has certainly settled into his role and is revelling in it.
MOTM any of those 3 really,but thought Bobby was superb,overall,today.

melbournered

Said it before and I'll say it again, when Bobby is on his game, then so is the team. He has to be the most selfless forward I have ever seen pull on a Liverpool shirt.
Our team were taking the piss in the end against a very well coached Southampton.

Naby looked sharp and switched on when he came on. That was good to see. Just be injury free please.

We've taken 100 points from the last 102 available. Unbelievable.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
@Alright Now - Have a quick and full recovery! I bet that this match did not help one little bit!

I used my phone to keep me informed of the score as I was out this morning. Only knowing that there were no goals in the first half, but I did not know how dire it was in the last 10 minutes of the first half. Later on, each time I checked my phone, our goal counts increased by one (i.e. I checked the phone 4 times in the 2nd half). I thought at that time, it must have been an easy game. Boy, was I wrong.

Watched the game a few hours later in a relax mood (with the co-commentator David Provan annoying me). Some random thoughts:

Ali absolute kept us in the game in the 1st half. But 2nd half he had a few strange moments to make things interesting. I would have given him one of the 3 picks but those odd moments dropped him from my picks.

We had a lot of sloppy moments and bad mental lapses. They were self-inflicted and also caused by Saints' good pressing, closing down spaces, and passing the balls through the channels. The Saints really gave us a proper game to enjoy (and having multiple heart stopping moments).

I think that the score flattered us a bit. The Saints' forwards penetrated our back 4 so many times. If Ingsy's finishing were a bit more clinical, they might put at least a goal on the board.

Virg back heel for a goal attempt? Wow!

How was that not a penalty for Bobby getting pushed and tripped at 30th minute, I don't know. But I think that things got even with Fabinho being a bit fortunate not getting called on a trip on Ingsy in the box (Fab lifted his foot a bit while lying down, may have caused Ingsy to tumble).

TAA has been very poor today. Forward passing missed the mark, defensive decision were bad and got passed by Saints so many times. Just one of those rare bad games. Saints were exploiting our right side a bit too frequently to my liking (Klopp probably had gone ballistic).

My 3 picks:
1. Captain Fantastic Hendo: A goal and an assist. He was fantastic today. Bossing the entire field. Shouting at our defensive lines as well when they were having mental lapses. With Fab still being a bit rusty, one could also further appreciate how really good Hendo has been in the past number of games with Fab's absence. Now that Hendo in the attacking mid position, there was an obvious increases in our attacking chances.

2. Mo: What a game he had today. Other than the 2 close quarter goals, his through balls were really good. Selfish? What selfish? He was very influential in the attack today. Too bad that Taki and Keita went for the same ball. If either one kicked at it clearly, I am pretty sure that would have been our 4th.

3. Bobby: First goal from Robbo, then he passed the ball to Ox for the goal. What a beautiful pass. His other assist to Hendo was magical too. What a game by Bobby. All we need is a goal at Anfield by Bobby sometime this season! However, that was one backward pass in the first half almost cost us!

Shout out to:
Ali - Kept us grounded in the first half. It could have been ugly with the sloppiness.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Never a 4-0 game that. Southampton played like they were on drugs. Let's hope they play like that when Abu Dhabi go there.

First half we seemed determined to give them a goal and Allison kept us in it. Second half we stepped it up and played some brilliant football.

Allison, Hendo and Salah got my vote. Henderson is playing the best football of his career, I don't think I've ever seen a player who has gone from being berated like he was to being almost worshipped like he is atm. Nobody deserves to lift this trophy more than him.

Doubt we'll ever see anything like this again, it's fucking insane what this team is doing.
Its for posts like this that I implore TIA to create a “double like” option
Great post

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Does anyone know if the first team is going on a warm weather break?

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
What an unusual game. A true tale of two halves. Motm is an easy one. Ali kept us in that first half where, at times, we were all at sea. Can't remember how many crucial blocks he made, but he was the biggest difference today before Ox broke the game open.

Keita was brilliant coming on in party time, Gomez was on the most part very solid, and Bobby probably should be most neutral fans' favourite LFC lad. Such an unselfish and likeable bloke. Counting down the games until I can open the "Is Hendo our greatest ever captain?" thread.

Ingsy pretty unlucky with the potential penalty. But that's Friend's choice. If he paid it VAR would have allowed it to stand. Just as is the case when Bobby was rugby tackled in the box. VAR can't really overrule a 50-50.

Even when this game was tied at half time, I would have said it's the most watchable game we've played in in a long time... Long time. Keep this going lads!

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
Woke up late for this one which never happens, far too much messiness the previous night. Started at 2-0 but enjoyed what I saw. Got some of the first half on repeat later and not bothered i missed that too much! The boys just keep dancing to their own tune, I never stop being blown away that we are clearly and unequivocally the best team on this fucking planet once again.We are back where we belong and I am loving.the ride. Hendo for POTY, wow, that assist and another goal, remember when he had no hand in a goal for 37 years in a row, most improved player in the premier league. Also... can we please go get haaland and sancho in a summer double swoop from Dortmund then I might just wet myself.