• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Southampton (EPL 1/2/20 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Henderson [GOAL 60’, off 88’]

Votes: 91 61.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wijnaldum [off 81’]

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 47’, off 73’]

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 71’, 90']

Votes: 73 49.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 65 43.6%
  • Keita [on 73’]

• Minamino [on 81’]

• Lallana [on 88’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
Woke up late for this one which never happens, far too much messiness the previous night. Started at 2-0 but enjoyed what I saw. Got some of the first half on repeat later and not bothered i missed that too much! The boys just keep dancing to their own tune, I never stop being blown away that we are clearly and unequivocally the best team on this fucking planet once again.We are back where we belong and I am loving.the ride. Hendo for POTY, wow, that assist and another goal, remember when he had no hand in a goal for 37 years in a row, most improved player in the premier league. Also... can we please go get haaland and sancho in a summer double swoop from Dortmund then I might just wet myself.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
This machine just keeps delivering.
Average display first half, but our class showed second half.
Gomez MOTM.

Next 3 games against current bottom 3, need to be careful to avoid complacency, but Klopp wont let that happen, and should be 9 points in the bag.

Ray_Chua

Another commanding performance in the second half. Hendo bossed the midfield when Gini wasn't at his most brilliance... Hendo is MOTM for me but Salah and Firmino very close behind. I thought Ox had a few wayward passes that almost cost us but he redeemed himself with a well taken drill down the bottom left corner. Well done!

Minamino should have scored his Pool goal if Keita did not attack the ball at the same time..... I would be so happy if so.

GaryC

Hassenhutl is bleating about the penalty they didn’t get and saying “you need brave referees at Anfield”. Sky are all over that comment, so why didn’t they counter that by pointing out that we had a stonewall penalty denied in the 1st half by the very same referee?? It’s just shit journalism from Sky, who just want a headline. I guarantee the next referee at Anfield will want to prove how ‘brave’ he is.
Shearer mentioned both were penalties and VAR got them wrong.
On another topic, Mo seems to pass more since the Wolves game or is it just me. Against Hammers and Saints, his attempted assists made him a more dangerous player imo. His pass to Naby should have resulted in a goal. Long may it continue.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
What was Mo’s reaction to his first goal about? He pulled a face and wiggled his hand in a “I’m not too sure” sort of way.
Fairly certain he thought VAR was going to wipe the goal away. The second he put it in he looked at the linesman and did the same gesture. He thought it was offside.

I expect Bobby to take the piss out of that celebration for a while now.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Shearer mentioned both were penalties and VAR got them wrong.
On another topic, Mo seems to pass more since the Wolves game or is it just me. Against Hammers and Saints, his attempted assists made him a more dangerous player imo. His pass to Naby should have resulted in a goal. Long may it continue.
But VAR did what it was supposed to do. It's the rules that are wrong*.

*If the aim of football refereeing is perfection at all costs.

koptician

We'll go again!
Two things:
I’m glad MOTD highlighted the absolute MUGGING of Bobby by Long. That was by far the bigger penalty shout.

Bobby’s dummy run allowing Hendo to cleanly collect Allison’s long pass and feed Mo for his first goal...brilliant! Stats won’t cover that

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Just took a close look at the penalty incidents....

No penalties for me.

MinniMo

Right, all I hope now is that the guys have a brilliant break holiday with their families, and that they all come back fit and raring to go again.

Please, no cliff diving, break dancing or any other high risk activity unless you are triple bubble wrapped and harnessed.

No virus catching either!

Enjoy.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Really want to hear what Klopp said to the boys at half time..
What I want to know is, why can't Klopp give his half time team talk before the first half kicks off? :unsure:

As for the two penalty shouts, I think that if the first is given, then so is the second. However, if the first penalty had been given, Long would have been sent off for the foul on Bob and Soton would have been down to 10 men for over 60 minutes. So it would have unlikely that Ings could have got into the position to be tripped by Fab (after standing on Fab's foot and pushing him over).

Why Ali wasn't penalised for picking up Robbo's backpass, I don't know, other than the officials might not have been sure whether Ings made slight contact on the ball.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
As for the two penalty shouts, I think that if the first is given, then so is the second. However, if the first penalty had been given, Long would have been sent off for the foul on Bob and Soton would have been down to 10 men for over 60 minutes. So it would have unlikely that Ings could have got into the position to be tripped by Fab (after standing on Fab's foot and pushing him over).

Why Ali wasn't penalised for picking up Robbo's backpass, I don't know, other than the officials might not have been sure whether Ings made slight contact on the ball.
That's how I saw it. Both were penalties although the Ings one was only really apparent when you saw the replay. In real time I thought he had lost his balance after the initial tackle but it's clear that Fabinho has another nibble at him and takes him down

The backpass was just weird. I agree with @Commando in that Robbo was probably trying to play it off the attacker. Just seemed mad to play it back to Alisson from there and even madder for Alisson to then pick it up. I'm not sure what would have happened if a free-kick had been awarded i.e. where it's taken from given it was so close to the goal-line. Maybe Kevin Friend didn't know either which is why he pretended not to see it.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
I have sometimes been a lone voice in here defending referees but yesterday’s performance was a proper shocker by the referee and the people monitoring the VAR. Two blatant penalties missed even with VAR assistance. Astonishing to still see that level of incompetent officiating these days.

Mary Hinge

This is the best you have seen. The best you and me ever will see.Noone can top PERFECTION bar this lot in RED!!!
Mentality Monsters is how history should remembers these Immortals!!!!

I can't say whether this is the best team we'll ever see.

I may be living in some fantasy land, but I feel we have more to offer yet and this isn't the finished article. Obviously the level will have to be maintained as players age/leave, but I honestly feel there is more improvement to come.

We don't get the volume of goals we should and there is more to come from midfield. We won't be playing the, "score more goals than we concede" style, but we will play smarter and get more out of these defensive games. I like the way we have developed our possession game (although it might not be exciting to the eye), but I do feel we need to open up defences a little more. We have been fortunate with these 1-0 results, but we seem to stall at putting the game away on too many occasions. We've improved on that this season, because it cost us the league last time around, but we need to be even more clinical.

I'm not saying we need a radical change, far from it, why would we when we are 20 points clear and unbeaten, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. We have players like Minamino and Keita to show their best and no doubt we'll add 'the right players' and unlike some clubs, not expensive players and mould them into our team. Mr. Klopp has a long term vision and the owners have given him their full support. I can't express how fortunate we are to have them both, because we wouldn't be where we are without both working together.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, because this isn't a one season phenomena...……...…….which is going to piss off so many people...……...….........and that alone is bloody awesome!!! :giggle::cool::giggle:

Mary Hinge

I have sometimes been a lone voice in here defending referees but yesterday’s performance was a proper shocker by the referee and the people monitoring the VAR. Two blatant penalties missed even with VAR assistance. Astonishing to still see that level of incompetent officiating these days.

.............and some questioned why we had no representation in the World Cup!!

Perhaps arguments could be made either way for both penalties, but surely that was a pass back by Andy Robertson, even a blind man could see that!!

Commando

Ad-free Member
We might be 22 points ahead, but remember, ManC still have a game in hand!
We also have a better GD, which could get bigger should Spurs beat them today.

I think the entire squad is having a week off where they do what they want go away as family. Then back to normal training preparing for Norwich.
Whisper it quietly but Jurgen has block booked fifty statics at the Happy Times caravan park in Towyn for the squad, staff and their families. It’s double savings because of the bulk booking and it’s also out of season. There’ll be no distractions either as the on site social club doesn’ Open in the off season.
There’ll probably be a week of long beach walks in the bracing early February weather then back and raring to go for Norwich.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Great result eventually but we should notoverlook how poor we looked first half. We need to be starting games more strongly if not in an attacking sense at least from a defensive point of view. We were torn apart at time and could have been behind at half time. As ever though we pulled out something special in the second half.
Not sure why Ox is always first to come off . For me Gini had another quiet game. Good to see Keita looking sharp again but Taki is still struggling to make a big impression. Alison made some important stops,Hendo another motm performance and what a good player Gomez has become. Both full backs seem a bit below par to me but it is hard to criticise when you win so comfortably.

starshadow

Great result eventually but we should notoverlook how poor we looked first half. We need to be starting games more strongly if not in an attacking sense at least from a defensive point of view. We were torn apart at time and could have been behind at half time. As ever though we pulled out something special in the second half.
While I agree, there is always a place to improve you also have to remember, we've only dropped points once this season - its literally unprecedented.

I think we can be a little forgiving. It's not 'overlooking' how poor we were in the first half, rather, they were a good side and caused us to make mistakes.

Not to mention, even if Southampton had scored twice in the first half, I'd be pretty confident we could have come back in the second half - such is this teams never say die attitude.

The team has been on a gruelling schedule and yet still achieves such consistency, took a battering in the first half and came back to blow the doors off a good side - to me that is THIS team.

Not sure why Ox is always first to come off . For me Gini had another quiet game. Good to see Keita looking sharp again but Taki is still struggling to make a big impression.
As regards to Taki, yes he should have buried that effort but Fabinho and Keita etc took a really long time to bed in so I would be happy enough with his efforts.

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
What was Mo’s reaction to his first goal about? He pulled a face and wiggled his hand in a “I’m not too sure” sort of way.
I took it to mean that he didn’t think it was his best of efforts and he wanted to do better with the shot.
almost like a golfer rimming around before it drops and not was disappointing that he didn’t hit it dead center

Commando

Ad-free Member
I took it to mean that he didn’t think it was his best of efforts and he wanted to do better with the shot.
almost like a golfer rimming around before it drops and not was disappointing that he didn’t hit it dead center
Okie dokes, If Mo isn’t happy with it we’ll chalk it off and call it 3-0. But Ox’s goal was a great build up and finish so I’ll give him double for that and put it back to 4-0. (y)