• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Southampton (EPL 1/2/20 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Henderson [GOAL 60’, off 88’]

Votes: 91 61.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wijnaldum [off 81’]

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 47’, off 73’]

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 71’, 90']

Votes: 73 49.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 65 43.6%
  • Keita [on 73’]

• Minamino [on 81’]

• Lallana [on 88’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RodM

Spuds have just beaten City so we are now 22 points clear with 13 games left. I make that a 7 game cock-up buffer. To put that another way we could lose 7 times as many league games as we have since the beginning of last year and still be on top.

Maria

FIFA Club Champions of The World
Ad-free Member
Spuds have just beaten City so we are now 22 points clear with 13 games left. I make that a 7 game cock-up buffer. To put that another way we could lose 7 times as many league games as we have since the beginning of last year and still be on top.
So, if we win the next 6 games and then we can declare it right?

FGred

I took it to mean that he didn’t think it was his best of efforts and he wanted to do better with the shot.
almost like a golfer rimming around before it drops and not was disappointing that he didn’t hit it dead center
That was my view as well I think he scuffed his shot he meant to hit it a lot harder but I’m glad he didn't otherwise the goalie would have blocked it.

Commando

Ad-free Member
The stats from yesterday are interesting. Southampton outdid us on corners 11-6 and shots 18-16. They weren’t far behind on possession either 54% - 46%. They were the most competitive side to come to Anfield this season. I think that they’ll be OK in regards to relegation if they continue to play this way.

indianaredman96

now you're gonna believe us
Being in the US I have only been a fan since 1989 ( not a lot of English football coverage here and no internet when I was young)
But I have endured some really meh seasons and of course the heartbreak of the slip. But I have passed this on to my two kids who are rabid fans themselves now. We are all proud and marveling in what we are witnessing. Truely no flaws on this side . And I cant speak highly enough of our Skipper. He is the heart of the team and a goal yesterday was fitting reward for him .
Just cant get over how far we have come since Klopp arrived.
Now you're gonna believe us

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Hassenhutl is bleating about the penalty they didn’t get and saying “you need brave referees at Anfield”. Sky are all over that comment, so why didn’t they counter that by pointing out that we had a stonewall penalty denied in the 1st half by the very same referee?? It’s just shit journalism from Sky, who just want a headline. I guarantee the next referee at Anfield will want to prove how ‘brave’ he is.
That takes some fucking balls for Ralph to go bellyaching like that. And it’s not smart. So next time Kevin Friend refs one of his matches, good luck getting anything. Yeah, the Ings non call Is the reason Southampton lost. Give me a break with this nonsense. They lost because our boys are just better. They gave us their best shot and the cold hard reality is their best shot wasn’t even a glancing blow. We took their hit then we proceeded to beat them up. Period.

I went back and watched the Jack Stephens horse collar on Bobby in the 89th minute and it was a borderline mugging assault, aside from being dangerous and reckless. It’s why horse collar tackles have been outlawed in the NFL. The Boss lost his mind and he and Rabbithut exchanged heated words. So Ralph should just shut his mouth. As I said before, its very personal with Ralph when it comes to Klopp.

jaffod

The stats from yesterday are interesting. Southampton outdid us on corners 11-6 and shots 18-16. They weren’t far behind on possession either 54% - 46%. They were the most competitive side to come to Anfield this season. I think that they’ll be OK in regards to relegation if they continue to play this way.
I've never seen a Southampton team perform like that before. Even asked my lad if he thought they might be on drugs. Their pressing and running off the ball was relentless. Never mind relegation, I think they could qualify for Europe if they carry on like that.

Alright Now

@Alright Now - Have a quick and full recovery! I bet that this match did not help one little bit!

I used my phone to keep me informed of the score as I was out this morning. Only knowing that there were no goals in the first half, but I did not know how dire it was in the last 10 minutes of the first half. Later on, each time I checked my phone, our goal counts increased by one (i.e. I checked the phone 4 times in the 2nd half). I thought at that time, it must have been an easy game. Boy, was I wrong.

Watched the game a few hours later in a relax mood (with the co-commentator David Provan annoying me). Some random thoughts:

Ali absolute kept us in the game in the 1st half. But 2nd half he had a few strange moments to make things interesting. I would have given him one of the 3 picks but those odd moments dropped him from my picks.

We had a lot of sloppy moments and bad mental lapses. They were self-inflicted and also caused by Saints' good pressing, closing down spaces, and passing the balls through the channels. The Saints really gave us a proper game to enjoy (and having multiple heart stopping moments).

I think that the score flattered us a bit. The Saints' forwards penetrated our back 4 so many times. If Ingsy's finishing were a bit more clinical, they might put at least a goal on the board.

Virg back heel for a goal attempt? Wow!

How was that not a penalty for Bobby getting pushed and tripped at 30th minute, I don't know. But I think that things got even with Fabinho being a bit fortunate not getting called on a trip on Ingsy in the box (Fab lifted his foot a bit while lying down, may have caused Ingsy to tumble).

TAA has been very poor today. Forward passing missed the mark, defensive decision were bad and got passed by Saints so many times. Just one of those rare bad games. Saints were exploiting our right side a bit too frequently to my liking (Klopp probably had gone ballistic).

My 3 picks:
1. Captain Fantastic Hendo: A goal and an assist. He was fantastic today. Bossing the entire field. Shouting at our defensive lines as well when they were having mental lapses. With Fab still being a bit rusty, one could also further appreciate how really good Hendo has been in the past number of games with Fab's absence. Now that Hendo in the attacking mid position, there was an obvious increases in our attacking chances.

2. Mo: What a game he had today. Other than the 2 close quarter goals, his through balls were really good. Selfish? What selfish? He was very influential in the attack today. Too bad that Taki and Keita went for the same ball. If either one kicked at it clearly, I am pretty sure that would have been our 4th.

3. Bobby: First goal from Robbo, then he passed the ball to Ox for the goal. What a beautiful pass. His other assist to Hendo was magical too. What a game by Bobby. All we need is a goal at Anfield by Bobby sometime this season! However, that was one backward pass in the first half almost cost us!

Shout out to:
Ali - Kept us grounded in the first half. It could have been ugly with the sloppiness.
Bobby is destined to score against Palace to win it all, isn’t he? Has to be. Otherwise the world is nonsensical.

alaskared

Kloppite
That was a difficult game, especially first half. Lads pulled through brilliantly.

Only major disappointment is that the poll doesn't let me pick more than 3 MOTM :D Hendo in beast mode, Salah had his dancing slippers on, Bobby was everywhere and Gomez was outstanding at the back.
Hendo top of the pick though.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
City has 4 tough matches before facing us - against Leicester, Arsenal, United and Chelsea. Very real possibility of dropping some more points there.
City will drop points in those games, that was a real kick in the balls for them at Spurs today. That must’ve been so demoralising to have dominated a game, even with ten men, and lose 2-0.

Libero

A game of two halves :rolleyes:

Credit to Ralph and his team they gave it a fair old crack and probably should have been up in the first half. But boy oh boy were we good in the second, Henderson and Bobby taking the plaudits for me and of course Mo. We really stepped it up and put them away, defense again solid and Ali was superb in the first.

Great way to begin the break, players have earned their rest, look forward to watching the under 23s this weekend.

Libero

That takes some fucking balls for Ralph to go bellyaching like that. And it’s not smart. So next time Kevin Friend refs one of his matches, good luck getting anything. Yeah, the Ings non call Is the reason Southampton lost. Give me a break with this nonsense. They lost because our boys are just better. They gave us their best shot and the cold hard reality is their best shot wasn’t even a glancing blow. We took their hit then we proceeded to beat them up. Period.

I went back and watched the Jack Stephens horse collar on Bobby in the 89th minute and it was a borderline mugging assault, aside from being dangerous and reckless. It’s why horse collar tackles have been outlawed in the NFL. The Boss lost his mind and he and Rabbithut exchanged heated words. So Ralph should just shut his mouth. As I said before, its very personal with Ralph when it comes to Klopp.
I think that’s a bit harsh on Ralph, I watched his press conference. He was pretty complimentary and said we deserved the win, he was just saying that if the pen was given or one of their chances went in then it’s a different game, but even in that he said it would still be difficult against us considering our standing and what we are capable of.
I know there is a bit of history between the two but watching the press conferences of both it seems like there is nothing but respect between them.

Flobs

FADA

I would also mention the way they tried kicking the shit out of Hendo at the start of the match dirty buggers. then again that was probably their down fall as Hendo looked even more determined after.