Post Match: Liverpool v Southampton (EPL 1/2/20 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Henderson [GOAL 60’, off 88’]

Votes: 91 61.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wijnaldum [off 81’]

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 47’, off 73’]

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 71’, 90']

Votes: 73 49.0%
  • Firmino

Votes: 65 43.6%
  • Keita [on 73’]

• Minamino [on 81’]

• Lallana [on 88’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commando

Ad-free Member
To me we looked more in control than we did against Wolves, I don't know how stats can change such observations. It's like people use them to pull wool over you eyes. :cautious:
Which shit VAR decisions were we on the receiving end of specifically?

I agree with both the above comments and usually wouldn’t bother looking at stats. My nephews have an in game ritual. When we get a corner they shout out the name of which of our players they think will score from it. They both usually shout for Virg with the quickest to react having him as their pick. The slower of the two then has the pick of the rest of the team. When we played Arsenal a couple of seasons ago, one of my nephews couldn’t make the game so my Grandson has my Main Stand ST and I went in the Kop with my disabled nephew. I joined in the game and neither of us had any luck until I shouted that Mo would score when Arsenal had a corner at the Kop end. The rest is history. From that game on I always look at Mo’s position when we’re defending corners. I thought in the game that Southampton had a fair few corners so checked when I got home. I can’t remember any team coming close to the number that they had on Saturday.

petergriffin2020

Being in the US I have only been a fan since 1989 ( not a lot of English football coverage here and no internet when I was young)
But I have endured some really meh seasons and of course the heartbreak of the slip. But I have passed this on to my two kids who are rabid fans themselves now. We are all proud and marveling in what we are witnessing. Truely no flaws on this side . And I cant speak highly enough of our Skipper. He is the heart of the team and a goal yesterday was fitting reward for him .
Just cant get over how far we have come since Klopp arrived.
Now you're gonna believe us
As a fellow Yank I do share some appreciation for how being a fan is a bit different here (mainly in that we do not have as easy of a time getting to games)! Even when I started following in 2007 there was little to no footy on TV aside from Fox Soccer and the occasional Champions League game on ESPN2. In fact, I remember the first game I streamed was the 4-1 at Old Trafford back in 2009...up to then, it was always follow the live updates and/or listen to the radio commentary (Steve Hunter nearly blew my ears out a few times). Didn't see the goals until the highlights went up! Nowadays we have loads of games on TV over here and I'm definitely grateful.

As for the team and its performance, co-signed. There have been ups and downs but the resiliency and skill on show is unlike anything I could have dreamed of the Reds being...certainly better than I've ever seen. And while I wasn't around for 78-79 or 87-88, the number of people I've seen lauding this side vis-a-vis those teams really puts it into perspective. This is a special group.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I’ve rewatched the match twice and I want to give Ali a major shout on the goal Mo scored in the 71st minute.... that ALL started with Ali. Spotted Hendo running down the flank, launches a beautiful long pass, Hendo let the ball come over his shoulder and let it bounce one time in front of him and took the pass on first touch. Beautifully curled pass past the outstretched defender to the toe of Mo’s boot. One touch Ali, one touch Hendo....then Mo took care of the rest. Surgical and deadly in the blink of an eye....all of it starting with Ali.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
I’ve rewatched the match twice and I want to give Ali a major shout on the goal Mo scored in the 71st minute.... that ALL started with Ali. Spotted Hendo running down the flank, launches a beautiful long pass, Hendo let the ball come over his shoulder and let it bounce one time in front of him and took the pass on first touch. Beautifully curled pass past the outstretched defender to the toe of Mo’s boot. One touch Ali, one touch Hendo....then Mo took care of the rest. Surgical and deadly in the blink of an eye....all of it starting with Ali.
Don’t forget Bobby’s selfless run underneath to take Bertrand out of the game and create the space for Henderson.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
City will drop points in those games, that was a real kick in the balls for them at Spurs today. That must’ve been so demoralising to have dominated a game, even with ten men, and lose 2-0.
Shiteh were lucky not to have been down to 9 men. In my opinion sterling should have got a straight red for his tackle on ali.

petergriffin2020

Leicester and Bournmouth have also been on the receiving end of our other 4-0 wins - both away.
Correct about Leicester — how could I forget that scoreline? D'oh! I think I just got so caught up in that setting up to be a close game and was so surprised it was a blowout that I internalized it as a tough game. Perhaps it was tough — we were just too good! I thought Bournemouth was 3-0.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Correct about Leicester — how could I forget that scoreline? D'oh! I think I just got so caught up in that setting up to be a close game and was so surprised it was a blowout that I internalized it as a tough game. Perhaps it was tough — we were just too good! I thought Bournemouth was 3-0.
my mistake, it was a 3-0 win. last season's result was 4-0!

Great times provided by a great team!!!

In Klopp we Trust!!!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I do wonder if the fact we don't see so many of them is that we don't overplay games that are already won, the energy saved then helps us in those tighter games and allows us to win late on as we have done on a number of occasions.

petergriffin2020

I do wonder if the fact we don't see so many of them is that we don't overplay games that are already won, the energy saved then helps us in those tighter games and allows us to win late on as we have done on a number of occasions.
A legitimate point. I was remarking to a friend the other day that this year it generally seems that City either blow teams away or drop points — they won ugly a few times last year, particularly down the stretch, but haven't kept up the habit as much this year. We can turn on the style at times but it's generally more our approach to just do what's necessary and get over the line through being effective and tough rather than all-conquering. And while it would be nice to win a bit more comfortably at times — we've been in 11 one-goal games this League season, many of which I feel we should have won by more, and we also had United and Watford that were basically 1-0 until the very end — you can't argue with the numbers!