• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Spurs (EPL 27/10/19

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 96 63.6%
  • Wijnaldum [off 77’]

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Henderson [GOAL 52’]

Votes: 38 25.2%
  • Salah [GOAL 74’, off 85’]

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Firmino [off 90 +2’]

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Mane

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Milner [on 77’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [on 85’]

• Origi [on 90 +2’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
If they loose him, they are fucked.
I think he's done all he's going to do there to be honest. He has the players to attack Liverpool today and even with as goal start he opts for the "park the bus and time waste" from the second minute. They showed they could take the game to us after Mo's penalty so their fans have every right to question why they played so negatively after a dream start. They wont sack him because for two reasons......the cost to pay him off and the difficulty in replacing him with a quality manager.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
There was a moment in the second half near the end where Son lashes a shot in, with a couple of Spurs lads waiting for tap ins. Alisson makes the save, but also keeps hold of the ball and kills the Spurs momentum.

Neville called it straightaway. No-one remembers that, especially if Liverpool go on to win the league, but having a keeper with that authority and suredness is difference between winning it and losing it.
Spot on. I was saying to my boys how great it is to have the big guy back. Brings a sense of calmness and authority. That shot his handling was excellent and he had the sense to slow things down. Same for that corner at the end when their goalie came up. He's the difference maker.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Conceding goals can happen. The performance after that was perfect.

Wijnaldum and Henderson did not have their best games but they could cope with the intensity in a big game. Not yet seeing that from Keita and Ox at the moment.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
I don't know about you lot, but I feel we're a lot more fragile at the back this season. For all our dominance, Spurs could and probably should have scored three. Touch of good fortune with the massive Eriksen chance in the first half and Son hitting the bar after the break. I'd like us to be more solid, we seem to allow a lot more chances all of a sudden. Midweek in Genk was the same, really.

GermanRed

I don't know about you lot, but I feel we're a lot more fragile at the back this season. For all our dominance, Spurs could and probably should have scored three. Touch of good fortune with the massive Eriksen chance in the first half and Son hitting the bar after the break. I'd like us to be more solid, we seem to allow a lot more chances all of a sudden. Midweek in Genk was the same, really.
Opponents play more defensive against us. We have to attack more with a high line. That’s makes it seem we are fragile at the back.

What do you suggest? Play less attacking?

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Opponents play more defensive against us. We have to attack more with a high line. That’s makes it seem we are fragile at the back.

What do you suggest? Play less attacking?
Just saying that we rely on being able to make it happen in front of goal, and we've been lucky in some matches this season at the other end. It doesn't feel measured, although of course you could say that is the whole thing with Klopp's approach.

Red over the water

Just finished watching that. Absolutely superb. We had to dig deep to claim the three points, and that’s just what we did. Spurs are a very good team and if they keep this up they will be top four, probably with Chelsea, with Leicester just missing out in fifth is my guess. Then Arsenal, Man Utd and other assorted also-rans like them!

They got an early goal and it was an uphill climb for us at that point. I was a bit annoyed with Henderson for not passing quicker and getting tackled in the midfield, and it led to the break for their goal. When Henderson scores I said to my lad, “I’ve never said a bad word about him!” And we both burst out laughing.

Spurs are a good team but I really disliked their spoiling approach today. Time wasting. Standing on the ball to stop our free kicks. Kicking the ball away. Niggly fouls all over the pitch. It was horrible, and even Son - a player I like, went down in my books as he was just as guilty as the other snides on show. Unfortunately it took the ref more than half an hour to even say anything. The baked-bean headed biased Manc!

Their goalie made some very good saves, and I was thinking here we go again, another back up having a worldie. The goal that did beat him was poorly struck and scuffed by Hendo, but it was lower in the corner, and out of reach of his long arms. (I keep saying to the kids team I coach, “Low to the corner is good!”)

It was a definite penalty but quite poorly taken, with it not being very wide at all. Fortunately the giant was rooted to the spot and it was in that space where it was almost underneath him, as it was close to him. Anyhow, it was a goal!

It was a very hard fought game but we ran out worthy winners. Six points clear again, and we are working our way through this tough grouping of fixtures with aplomb.

It isn’t fully clicking, and there’s more to come from this Liverpool team, but in the meantime we are very happy indeed with nine wins and a draw so far.

Onwards and upwards.

Dave-D

That was a good game. 1-0 down within a minute yet absolutely no panic from the players and they turned it around and got the important 3pts.

Going to be critical of Lovren here, why did he duck for the Son shot. If he’d taken it in the face Spurs wouldn’t have scored.

Henderson scoring redeemed himself after giving the ball away in the build up to the Spurs goal.

All In all a good game, 3 more points and coming back from 1-0 will have hurt the watching Citeh manager as well

wibseyred

I want to say we were much better than Spurs, but we were also very lucky to escape with the 3 points - they were THAT close to making it 2-0.

I'm sure Klopp knows what he's doing but I'd feel much better with Gomez in the middle partnering VVD than Lovren. Not that Lovren had a bad game, though. Bad things just seem to happen to Dejan, like the bad deflection.

We played much better than against Man Utd. But we need to finish better than we're doing at the moment. These games are turning out to be much more difficult than they need to be, given the gulf in the standards of both sides. This will take a toll on our guys' physiques and also we're bound to run out of luck at some point (like we sort of did against Utd).

YNWA!
Your making that assessment on the Gomez pre-injury. The Gomez since isnt showing anywhere near that level of performance.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Important win to say the least ,such an early goal to concede kept plugging away right down to the second half that's why Jurgan calls this bunch "mentality Monsters".
Next up Arsenal, like to rest some of our first team players so we can have a nice light run out against Southampton(y):)

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Not that Lovren had a bad game, though. Bad things just seem to happen to Dejan, like the bad deflection.
That is basically how I see him as well. He seems to be one of those players that unlucky things happen to a disproportionate amount of times - a deflection or whatever it may be, he seems to find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time evry so often.
Other than that, overall he is a very good CB and certainly good enough as an option at any time and to keep the other lads on their toes.
We all know he is capable of the odd brain fart, but he fights hard and will give everything for the team and that's about all you can ask for.

GermanRed

With the reaction after conceding early again today I’m a bit angry. 15 minutes of today’s performance would have been enough to score against ManU in the first half at Old Trafford.

Maybe it’s a learning curve.

Anyway, @GermanRed still has a great record with the Pre Match threads. Hope he doesn’t think about stopping soon.

jaffod

Said it before and I'll say it again, this team is fucking magnificent. They are fucking relentless. Nobody hides, nobody panics - just keep plugging away knowing the goal will come.
At half time was there ever any doubt the goal would come? None whatsoever. Great that Hendo got it but it still didn't stop the blert behind me calling for him to be subbed 5 minutes later. Some people don't deserve to be watching this team.
Spurs were snide and are a reflection of their manager. If they're not diving all over the place to win penalties they are time-wasting and surrounding the ref at every opportunity.
Fabinho is a monster. MOTM for me along with Hendo and Mane. Mane might not get the plaudits but for me he is as good as anybody in the world right now. Loved Milner's cameo at the end, especialy his booking - he'd take his own grandmother out to protect a lead.
Crowd were good today as well with moaning down to a minimum.
6 points clear despite the fact we've played Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and Leicester while Abu Dhabi have played cannon-fodder every week.
Up the fucking Reds!!