• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Spurs (EPL 27/10/19

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 96 63.6%
  • Wijnaldum [off 77’]

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Henderson [GOAL 52’]

Votes: 38 25.2%
  • Salah [GOAL 74’, off 85’]

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Firmino [off 90 +2’]

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Mane

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Milner [on 77’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [on 85’]

• Origi [on 90 +2’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Missed the game and after-game cebrations entirely, due to family reasons, but what I have to say about this is:

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Massive, massive three points, yet again. The six-points lead is restored. 28 points from ten games! Another potential top-six team beaten. Coming from a goal down and winning. What is not to like about all that? It is fantastic!!! (y) :cool:

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
I didn’t realise Deli Ali was on the pitch until late in the game, he was that anonymous.
I didn’t see Kane’s interview after the game but apart from complaining about Liverpool getting all the luck, did he happen to mention feigning being hit in the face when Lovren’s hand clearly touched his chest? No, I didn’t think so. Cheating twat!!

jaffod

I didn’t realise Deli Ali was on the pitch until late in the game, he was that anonymous.
I didn’t see Kane’s interview after the game but apart from complaining about Liverpool getting all the luck, did he happen to mention feigning being hit in the face when Lovren’s hand clearly touched his chest? No, I didn’t think so. Cheating twat!!
What luck was that then? The only luck I saw yesterday was Son's shot hitting Lovren on the head and deflecting into Kane's path off the post the mouth-breathing cunt.

RedSeven

On the one road
Massive, massive three points, yet again. The six-points lead is restored. 28 points from ten games! Another potential top-six team beaten. Coming from a goal down and winning. What is not to like about all that? It is fantastic!!! (y) :cool:
After reading your comment it got me thinking about who we've played so far. From 10 games we've beaten
Arsenal (h)
Chelsea (a)
Leicester (h)
Spurs(h)

And drawn with united(a)

To play those teams so early in the season and get the results we have has been a great boost for what comes over the next 28 games.

iftikhar

What luck was that then? The only luck I saw yesterday was Son's shot hitting Lovren on the head and deflecting into Kane's path off the post the mouth-breathing cunt.
Luck? OK I will tell you what luck is. Luck is NOT having a certain Lloris between the sticks. Imagine how many of those 13 freaking shots on target would have kissed the net if Lloris was tending the goal.

jaffod

Luck? OK I will tell you what luck is. Luck is NOT having a certain Lloris between the sticks. Imagine how many of those 13 freaking shots on target would have kissed the net if Lloris was tending the goal.
I suppose when you look at it like that....

Bob8

TIA Youth Team
Well, it's not Rivaldo world cup theatrics.

TBF, Lovern's hand/wrist first galnces off Kane's face area before the momentum makes it land in the upper chest area. 'glance' being the operative word of course. Nowhere sufficient enough to go down writhing in agony on the floor. But contact was made in the vicinity of where Kane is clutching himself.

Kane's thought process -> high hand into face (felt a touch) -> let's go down while demostrating how much pain i'm in -> win a freekick in good area -> maybe a bonus of a card for Lovren
You could even hear his roar when it happened, like someone had punched him on the nuts. You can also see the reaction on the linesmans face: " master is calling for me"

Bob8

TIA Youth Team
Went to a spurs forum just to see what they think of the game ( You can guess how lively things are at the office today) but one idea I've never thought of came to my mind: How on earth FIFA doesn't regulate who gets to follow football and who not. I understand that they would lose some money, but Spurs fans are a crime towards humanity. I know I'm a big moaner when it comes to refs, but my god. Rules don't mean anything to these people.

One lad who had some sense said that yeah, when you kick opposition players leg inside the box it usually is given. He gets abused by this comment and my favourite line went smth like this: " what ?? You do understand that Mane was behind Aurier ??" And they support a club with the olympic diving sensation Harry Kane playing for it.

Thank god we support this club, and we have a forum with a good spirit and polite well mannered people discussing football from the right perspective. Mostly ( you know who you are).

LFCFFC

Going to go against the grain here, but knowing a few of them, I genuinely feel for Spurs fans and can almost understand the frustration/anger/resentment that comes across from their forums, match threads and general online presence. Especially this season when it appears like everything is beginning to fall apart after reaching their zenith over the last few years.

Regardless of what you think of the likes of Kane and Rose, their 'project' has deserved at least some form of tangible success in my eyes. Even just a domestic cup. They've really been a super outfit that have played attractive football on (in terms relative to the top 6/Europe's elite) a pretty thin budget. Living in the shadow of Chelsea and also Arsenal's ridiculous arrogance for so long, while constantly putting up with the Spurs memes the instant you drop points must be tiresome and incredibly grating if your football team is one of your biggest passions. I think it's fair to say that dealing with songs about Gerrard slipping and almost winning last year is a whole lot easier when you're newly crowned European champions, and I also think we all felt the pressure last year right before the Barcelona game when contemplating the prospect of another trophyless season under Klopp having been so good for so long.

Of course they've still spent substantial money and built on the back of buying off lower clubs, but I guess their story appeals to a side of me which sees some of the romance in football. Yes they're rich, but they're not an oligarch's plaything and they've ostenisibly tried to build a quality team from the ground up without a gigantic pot of gold. Saying I actively want them to experience success is too much, but at the very least I can understand how their fans feel and how frustrating it must be to see get so close for no reward and then see the cracks start to appear. I'd much prefer they win something and have their fans properly appreciate it rather than City winning another cup which provides their supporters with little more than some meaningless ammunition to have a crack at 'the dippers'.

Tbf they're no sob story. We're not talking Bury or Bolton levels of hurt here and they still have plenty of one-eyed fuckwits in their ranks. Ultimately they'll always be around the top 8, they have a shiny new stadium and they still have a pretty decent squad so things can turn back pretty quick, but I guess I can at least empathise with them and know that it must be at the very least, incredibly frustrating.

Anyway!

I'm still glad we beat those fuckers ;)

(although it should've been by a few goals more!)

Fab MOTM. Blokes a bloody octopus.

RodM

Smashed 'em

They're shiiiiiiiiit.

76/24 possession at 75 mins. Brutal from a CL finalist
Surely we mashed them because they're the Spuds? That's getting rather old hat. Next time we will have to employ some Martians to turn them into a freeze dried convenience food.

Red over the water

They’ve been doing some great fan festival things over here in America to really promote the Premier League. The last one was in Boston, this was was in Austin. I think the next one is in Miami.

NBCSN do a good job with their coverage and they have clearly invested a few bob and the whole thing is growing very nicely. It’s telling to me how well supported we are at these things. Only Man Utd are close. Once the Klopp machine keeps roaring on, and we also switch to Nike, I think America is ours.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
After reading your comment it got me thinking about who we've played so far. From 10 games we've beaten
Arsenal (h)
Chelsea (a)
Leicester (h)
Spurs(h)

And drawn with united(a)

To play those teams so early in the season and get the results we have has been a great boost for what comes over the next 28 games.
City only had Spurs so far 2-2 and still, they are 6 points behind. :cool:

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
It was a fantastic game for neutral football fans and heart stopping game for the fans of both clubs. I thought this was going to be an evenly contested game. It was in a way. It was so fast paced, high tempo and boundless pressing. I thought both teams played very well, but we dominated the game overall.

It was almost like a tennis match, back and forth. The first goal was perhap,s a lapse in concentration by our lads and Kane took the opportunity. The way our lads pressed and pressed Spurs, it was relentless. We should have scored more goals and thus the scoreline flatters Spurs inho. Salah, Firmino and Salah were misfiring in the first half and second half. I did feel that a goal was coming our way eventually as we were their half most of the time trying to find a way through to get the ball in the back of the net

The Spurs goalie Gazzaniga was having the best time of his life which is why we couldn't get more goals in. Our lads threw everything at him including the kitchen sink and he still managed to save most of the kicks on target by our boys. A huge credit to him, he really was immense for Spurs.
Our equaliser could not have come at a better time. Of all the players in our current team, it had an unlikely source, our Captain. Jordan is truly an unsung hero, he got us back into the game and I am so pleased for him. We sometimes criticised unfairly at times, but that boy has never once given up. He has proved his critics wrong at many crucial stages of the building of Klopp's team. Fabinho, he just seems to get better and better in every game he plays. He was absolutely colossal.

Our defence was pretty solid most of the match, bar that fluke goal. Even though Lovren was abit shaky at times, he did make up for it at different moments in the match. Alisson, he has saved us so many times. I am so glad he is back, not taking away anything from Adrian who did a superb job as his deputy.

With regards to the Spurs players cynical tactics. It was abit immature for them to resort to play acting, they are better footballers than that and it doesn't do them any favours. Harry should be nominated for the best actor in next years Oscars, he did a great Rivaldo impersonation. I thought the referee was better than last week's inept Atkinson.

Overall,It was a hard fought game, a nail biting affair, but both teams gave it their all and we just better than Spurs with the belief, the dogged determination to keep going until the end. I noticed after the final whistles both teams players gave it their all, they were so out of breath and tired. My hat is off to them. I hope our lads get rotated. I am just abit concerned that they do not burn out too soon. Hopefully, we can get through this busy period to new year.

The good news is, there is winter break this season for the team and coaches to mentally and physically recuperate and recharge their batteries for the final part of the season.

We are true 'Mentality Monsters'. Up the Reds.

MOTM: Fabinho and Henderson.

Last edited:

costared

TIA Reserve Team
It was a fantastic game for neutral football fans and heart stopping game for the fans of both clubs. I thought this was going to be an evenly contested game. It was in a way. It was so fast paced, high tempo and boundless pressing. I thought both teams played very well, but we dominated the game overall.

It was almost like a tennis match, back and forth. The first goal was perhap,s a lapse in concentration by our lads and Kane took the opportunity. The way our lads pressed and pressed Spurs, it was relentless. We should have scored more goals and thus the scoreline flatters Spurs inho. Salah, Firmino and Salah were misfiring in the first half and second half. I did feel that a goal was coming our way eventually as we were their half most of the time trying to find a way through to get the ball in the back of the net

The Spurs goalie Gazzaniga was having the best time of his life which is why we couldn't get more goals in. Our lads threw everything at him including the kitchen sink and he still managed to save most of the kicks on target by our boys. A huge credit to him, he really was immense for Spurs.
Our equaliser could not have come at a better time. Of all the players in our current team, it had an unlikely source, our Captain. Jordan is truly an unsung hero, he got us back into the game and I am so pleased for him. We sometimes criticised unfairly at times, but that boy has never once gave up. He has proved his critics wrong at many crucial stages of the building of Klopp's team. Fabinho, he just seems to get better and better in every game he plays. He was absolutely colossal.

Our defence was pretty solid most of the match, bar that fluke goal. Even though Lovren was abit shaky at times, he did make up for it at different moments in the match. Alisson, he has saved us so many times. I am so glad he is back, not taking away anything from Adrian who did a superb job as his deputy.

With regards to the Spurs players cynical tactics. It was abit immature for them to resort to play acting, they are better footballers than that and it doesn't do them any favours. Harry should be nominated for the best actor in next years Oscars, he did a great Rivaldo impersonation. I thought the referee was better than last week's inept Atkinson.

Overall,It was a hard fought game, a nail biting affair, but both teams gave it their all and we just better than Spurs with the belief, the dogged determination to keep going until the end. I noticed after the final whistles both teams players gave it their all, they were so out of breath and tired. My hat is off to them. I hope our lads get rotated. I am just abit concerned that they do not burn out too soon. Hopefully, we can get through this busy period to new year.

The good news is, there is winter break this season for the team and coaches to mentally and physically recuperate and recharge their batteries for the final part of the season.

We are true 'Mentality Monsters'. Up the Reds

MOTM: Fabinho and Henderson.

Agree the ref was better than last week, but not by much. When we got in front he clearly favoured Spurs . Gave a lot of free kicks against us for offences that Spurs were allowed to get away with. Maybe we took our foot off the pedal a little when we went in front because Spurs certainly made us sweat a bit after that. This was a very good performance after an unfortunate start and once again shows the quality and character of the team. Agree with Maria re MOTM as well.
One thing that concerns me is the lack of cover if one of the front 3 gets injured. I now Divock has come good in the past but he still does not convince me.

Libero

Great win, great result, probably our best performance of the season in terms of chances created... Few thoughts of having the benefit of knowing the score prior to watching the full replay.

The old cliche of scoring too early probably impacted Spurs and how they would have probably taken the game had they not scored in the first minute, I think they didn't really know what to do after that and retreated and looked to deploy stalling and defensive tactics, I guess that is still the managers instruction but they did not play football at all. For us, there was no real impact, although being a goal down we played like we would normally play, we pushed and pushed and should have equalized, probably even been up by half time if it wasn't for some wasted chances (Mane's header) and some brilliant saves.

Having said all that, we were lucky, 1-0 down and the start of the second half if Son's shot goes in then we probably scrape a draw or who knows. So there was an element of luck in our win for us, however, the win is fully deserved and justified as when Hendo equalized there was only going to be one winner.

Fabinho as others have said was absolutely immense, clear MotM he was head and shoulders above everyone, what a signing he has been, the quiet signing who has become the best DM in the league, the guys is a monster, the ability to tackle and get up to his feet within an instant is mind boggling, when i hit the deck it takes me two days to get up.

Hendo got a captains goal, happy for him, always seems to answer the critics when he has a couple of poor performances. Was pleased with the overall play and no one else for me really stood out as much as Fab did which is a good sign, was a good team performance and everyone contributed.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Fabinho is on 4 yellows. Does he start against Villa and risk suspension for City? He absolutely has to be available for that.
Fab yellows are the best yellows
They simultaneously shut down an attack whilst seriously hurting whoever is unfortunate enough to be the subject of the foul
And they differ from the classic Lucas yellows by not happening right at the edge of the penalty box in the final 2 minutes of a game that we lead by one goal

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Talk about Mentality Monsters - we lose a CL Final and next year come back to win it as well as challenge for the PL title. And in the CL Final that we won, we get an early goal and in the end win it by 2-0.
Spurs on the other hand ...
I love harry kane, not only is he selfish and dumb, but keeps a very talented lucas moura out of the squad.
I'm so relieved that Lucas moura didnt play as many mins he would have liked in both the games!