• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Spurs (EPL 31/3/2019 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 53 30.5%
  • Henderson [off 77’]

• Milner [off 77’]

• Wijnaldum

• Salah [off 90+3’]

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Mane

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Firmino [GOAL 15’]

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Origi [on 77]

• Fabinho [on 77’]

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Lovren [on 90+3’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Some people may see this as a Hendo hating post but I see a spade and call it a spade.

Hendo has no whatsoever game intelligence. I wouldn't call heeding the manager's tactics to spray balls out wide for the first ten minutes as game intelligence. What's game intelligence is recognising the shift in play and doing whatever you can to stem the opposition flow or even reverse it.

Gerrard used to do this during his days with us. Gerrard doesn't just use his rocket of his right foot to win us games. He has the knack of being in the right place at the right time like our istanbul miracle.

What epitomises Hendo's limited game intelligence is him turning away from the game during a shift in the play, doing a hissy fit as if he has no part in the game. This resulted in him not noticing Kane doing a quick free kick and Lucas Moura scoring within a minute later.

Compare it to Lucas Moura himself who actually prevented TAA from a quick free-kick and he's a forward!
Compare it to Lucas Moura himself who actually prevented TAA from a quick free-kick and he's a forward!
Just laughable, he stopped at least 3 of their attacks by reading the play. That’s game intelligence.
He also did the pass to Robbo which Robbo then assists Firmino. That’s game intelligence.

He was poor 2nd half, as were the entire midfield. I think thats why he gets defended, its so blatantly biased and woefully sad to only highlight his poor points. Van Dijk for example who was immense also gave the ball away with sloppy passing and they got a free shot on goal.. All forgotten yet Henderson does similar and he is vilified. Its embarrassing.

The problem is and this is why I believe Henderson gets defended by a few in here. You could walk through that game and extract a massive list of every single player and the poor decisions or mistakes they made. Hell Alisson was a walking fucking characture of Mings the Merciless in goal for 90 minutes, full of panic sliced passes, wrong decisions.. Not seen a whiff of his name.. Salah missed several chances which if he had finished during the period of dominance we would have put them to the sword. Gini and Milner were basically none existent for 90 minutes yet not a peep from anyone.

If you want to point out where Henderson went wrong, by all means go for it. But be fair, if you do that for him do it for the rest. Look at why he played badly (if he did in your eyes). Some of the posts of what he did wrong are written by a 12 year old whose only exposure to football is Match of the Day and Fifa.

If we are calling a spade a spade, your posting history is abysmal.

Last edited:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
(...)

The ref signalled 4 mins of added time and there was a hold up for a while when two players heads collided. Im convinced the useless Atkinson didnt play the full 4 minutes and at the final whistle, angry Spurs players surrounded him no doubt pointing that out.

But the celebrations around the ground continued, we got the 3 points and that's all that mattered. Im just lost for words.
Actually, six minutes added time were played.

Ha! Typical Phil McNumpty stuff this. Remembering all the things which went for us, and forgetting about all events which went against us. What about Mané's nearly-goal against Man City which would have changed the whole complexion of the game? What about the period this season when we had only VVD left as a center back? What would have happened if Gomez had been fit all season? Or Ox? Yes, we have been lucky until now on several accounts, but this article is dishonest and biased.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Just laughable, he stopped at least 3 of their attacks by reading the play. That’s game intelligence.
He also did the pass to Robbo which Robbo then assists Firmino. That’s game intelligence.

He was poor 2nd half, as were the entire midfield. I think thats why he gets defended, its so blatantly biased and woefully sad to only highlight his poor points. Van Dijk for example who was immense also gave the ball away with sloppy passing and they got a free shot on goal.. All forgotten yet Henderson does similar and he is vilified. Its embarrassing.

The problem is and this is why I believe Henderson gets defended by a few in here. You could walk through that game and extract a massive list of every single player and the poor decisions or mistakes they made. Hell Alisson was a walking fucking characture of Mings the Merciless in goal for 90 minutes, full of panic sliced passes, wrong decisions.. Not seen a whiff of his name.. Salah missed several chances which if he had finished during the period of dominance we would have put them to the sword. Gini and Milner were basically none existent for 90 minutes yet not a peep from anyone.

If you want to point out where Henderson went wrong, by all means go for it. But be fair, if you do that for him do it for the rest. Look at why he played badly (if he did in your eyes). Some of the posts of what he did wrong are written by a 12 year old whose only exposure to football is Match of the Day and Fifa.

Agree. Henderson was no worse than others. Just seems to be the easy option go to guy when you need to take a swipe at someone.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
As a golfer once said. The harder I practice the luckier I get.

We made our own luck yesterday. Klopp to his credit took a chance during the last 20 minutes which could have ended up either way. He threw caution to the wind.

Let’s not forget their was an element of fortune about Spurs equaliser. Soft foul, ball moving while free kick taken, scuffed pass into box. Up until then we had contained them.

Great way to end the game. If we beat Southampton and Chelsea in our next two games I reckon we will win all our remaining games.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Hendo does cop a lot of flak and I'm not his biggest fan, although I rate him highly for his work rate and leadership.
Many think it's unfair to single him out but I think the difficulty he has is that there is another player in Fab, who plenty believe is more capable. Compare that to the likes of VVD, Allison, Salah or Mane and yes they have bad moments or form dips but there wouldn't be many who think we have another player available to replace them with. That's why they tend to get cut more slack and that's why I think Hendo divides opinion so much.

Last edited:

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I neither worship or hate Henderson.
He's a decent player, puts in a decent shift and clearly cares.

But, what I think we're seeing is a slow and gradual shift, where Fabinho will eventually play ahead of him more and more often, leading to VVD eventually taking over the captaincy.

This is not me calling for this change, just an opinion on what I'm seeing.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I neither worship or hate Henderson.
He's a decent player, puts in a decent shift and clearly cares.

But, what I think we're seeing is a slow and gradual shift, where Fabinho will eventually play ahead of him more and more often, leading to VVD eventually taking over the captaincy.

This is not me calling for this change, just an opinion on what I'm seeing.
Why can't Fabinho come in and replace an aging Milner allowing Henderson to push forward (where is has been proven as effective?)

Guess I just don't see how everything is binary, i.e. Fabinho must start I totally agree, but again why can't Gini or Milner make way? My opinion hasn't changed for a long time - Klopp goes to his trusted "workhorse" three for any close game, my problem is they are all far too similar and need a Fabinho, a Keita or Oxlade (or Lallana). The shift must be away from this trusty steed, but my personal opinion is it's not specifically Henderson who has to give way in every scenario.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Why can't Fabinho come in and replace an aging Milner allowing Henderson to push forward (where is has been proven as effective?)

Guess I just don't see how everything is binary, i.e. Fabinho must start I totally agree, but again why can't Gini or Milner make way? My opinion hasn't changed for a long time - Klopp goes to his trusted "workhorse" three for any close game, my problem is they are all far too similar and need a Fabinho, a Keita or Oxlade (or Lallana). The shift must be away from this trusty steed, but my personal opinion is it's not specifically Henderson who has to give way in every scenario.
I'm not saying it has to be Henderson.
But, Fabihno is undoubtedly the better of the 2 in the deeper role, and going forward I suspect Gini and Ox will probably be seen as more effective options.
And if Keita develops into the player lauded prior to us signing him then he'll probably be higher up the pecking order.
Although I'd keep him, I see Milner getting less and less game time next season BTW.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I'm not saying it has to be Henderson.
But, Fabihno is undoubtedly the better of the 2 in the deeper role, and going forward I suspect Gini and Ox will probably be seen as more effective options.
And if Keita develops into the player lauded prior to us signing him then he'll probably be higher up the pecking order.
Although I'd keep him, I see Milner getting less and less game time next season BTW.
Fair enough, my personal opinion is Fabinho becomes the defacto no.1 playing at no.6 but Henderson is pushed forward and becomes an effective no.8 alongside a Keita or an Oxlade etc. So in terms of our best no.6 we agree, I just don't think he'll lose the captaincy next season, the season after? Pushing 30? Maybe..

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Fair enough, my personal opinion is Fabinho becomes the defacto no.1 playing at no.6 but Henderson is pushed forward and becomes an effective no.8 alongside a Keita or an Oxlade etc. So in terms of our best no.6 we agree, I just don't think he'll lose the captaincy next season, the season after? Pushing 30? Maybe..
Also fair enough.
I dont see Henderson as an effective attacking midfielder, he's better in the deeper position, and unfortunately for him there is someone better on the books for that position.
But I dont see Klopp trying to shoehorn him in somewhere else just because he's the current captain.

A lot of my views are based on the number of times he's either been left out or taken off.
You never saw that with a Gerrard.

jaffod

Check out his posts on Henderson's pass leading up to the first goal, a complete fabrication of what actually happened.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Henderson as a #8? Don't think he still has it in him tbh. The '70% of the earth is covered by water. Jordan Henderson covers the rest' times are long gone. He has no goals and very few assists in him.

Next season? Fabinho our main holding midfielder. If he needs a rest Henderson comes in. Double Pivot with Fabinho and Henderson also possible from time to time. Still enough games for everyone.

Fabinho and Wijnaldum will start most of the games but Henderson will still start +20 games next season.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Just watching Match of the Day and that that twat Warnock has just said he’ll probably play his U23’s against City on Wednesday! What a sad bastard he is, still blaming Rafa for Sheffield Utd getting relegated all those years ago. Wednesday is going to be his revenge on LFC.
He wont be doing any different to what most teams do v City - they dont even try.
If we win this league we wouldve worked hard over 38 games. City wouldve had about 10 tough games as most just rollover.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Also fair enough.
I dont see Henderson as an effective attacking midfielder, he's better in the deeper position, and unfortunately for him there is someone better on the books for that position.
But I dont see Klopp trying to shoehorn him in somewhere else just because he's the current captain.

A lot of my views are based on the number of times he's either been left out or taken off.
You never saw that with a Gerrard.
I know being a Scot you won't have seen him play for England ;) but he played in the no.8 role and was excellent, got an assist. I appreciate 13/14 was a long time ago, but again he was fantastic playing more advanced.

I see Henderson being like Kehl who remained club captain at Dortmund well into his 30's yet his playing time certainly diminished over time.

I think Klopp is trying to manage his time as he is most effective when not carrying an injury.

Unfair to compare him to Gerrard personally as he was literally a great of the game and a club legend. He was a force of nature, and irreplaceable (and would have been in any team).

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I know being a Scot you won't have seen him play for England ;-) but he played in the no.8 role and was excellent, got an assist. I appreciate 13/14 was a long time ago, but again he was fantastic playing more advanced.

I see Henderson being like Kehl who remained club captain at Dortmund well into his 30's yet his playing time certainly diminished over time.

I think Klopp is trying to manage his time as he is most effective when not carrying an injury.

Unfair to compare him to Gerrard personally as he was literally a great of the game and a club legend. He was a force of nature, and irreplaceable (and would have been in any team).
I wasn't comparing him to Gerrard the player, more so making the point that the club captain very rarely gets dropped or subbed off for tactical reasons.

kopend79

Hendo is solid, when he's given time. Under pressure though he struggles and he becomes anonymous.
This game was a perfect example of that.
First twenty minutes he looked ok.
Soon as spurs went at us, he fell apart.

kopend79

Hendo is solid, when he's given time. Under pressure though he struggles and he becomes anonymous.
This game was a perfect example of that.
First twenty minutes he looked ok.
Soon as spurs went at us, he fell apart.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Henderson has a role to play in this side, and the progression we need to make - as fans if not as a club - is to move past this idea of a first eleven, and the rest are shit.

In midfield believe we have a need for two players who can screen the defence (which would be Fab and Hendo), two ball carriers (which would be Keita and Ox), two creative sparks (which would be Shaq and TBC) and two good all rounders (which would be Wijnaldum and Hendo again). Fabinho has the ability to drop into defence and Keita, Ox, Shaq and TBC can all step into the forward line if necessary, especially if we play a 4231.

We have to get to the point where Klopp is able to shape his midfield from 6-7 excellent options, of which Hendo would be one. I think Fab is a better player and is world class in that position, but there are plenty of games where we don’t need world class. Very good would also be fine.

Danny_

Thought Henderson was very poor and if Fabinho is fit, he should start all the rest of our games. Milner, VVD, Robbo and Firminio all had great games. Matip a quiet very good game also. The rest not so good - some of them looked very nervy. I don't know if it is the pressure or just an off day. Mane was good except for his shooting. If he had taken a few of his chances, the game would have been over early on. Salah looked totally devoid of confidence but kept trying until the end and got his reward, albeit fortuitous. We could really do with him using this to get his calmness in front of goal back. Anyway, another escapte, another 3 points. 6 left to go and it doesn't matter how we win them. We just have to win.