Post match: Liverpool v Spurs (EPL 31/3/2019 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 53 30.5%
  • Henderson [off 77’]

• Milner [off 77’]

• Wijnaldum

• Salah [off 90+3’]

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Mane

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Firmino [GOAL 15’]

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Origi [on 77]

• Fabinho [on 77’]

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Lovren [on 90+3’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alright Now

Maybe City has the better team.
But in football the better team doesn‘t always win.
If City wins their remaining games we can do what we want, we can‘t catch them.
If so they are deserved chamions and congratulations to them.
My hope is that they will lose unexpected points.
Wether we can take profit from that remains to be seen.
I’m in the banal camp of the table doesn’t lie after 38 games.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Lots of comments about Fab being our future go-to defensive midfielder - and I agree
but the lad also has a great touch and insight up front - remember his pass to Mane for the goal against Man U?
I'm hoping he's box to box
Klopp doesn't really do holding midfielders per se - his ideal seems to be to have a 'most defensive', but with all three expected to be box-to-box and cover for each other.

Bob8

TIA Youth Team
Just laughable, he stopped at least 3 of their attacks by reading the play. That’s game intelligence.
He also did the pass to Robbo which Robbo then assists Firmino. That’s game intelligence.

He was poor 2nd half, as were the entire midfield. I think thats why he gets defended, its so blatantly biased and woefully sad to only highlight his poor points. Van Dijk for example who was immense also gave the ball away with sloppy passing and they got a free shot on goal.. All forgotten yet Henderson does similar and he is vilified. Its embarrassing.

The problem is and this is why I believe Henderson gets defended by a few in here. You could walk through that game and extract a massive list of every single player and the poor decisions or mistakes they made. Hell Alisson was a walking fucking characture of Mings the Merciless in goal for 90 minutes, full of panic sliced passes, wrong decisions.. Not seen a whiff of his name.. Salah missed several chances which if he had finished during the period of dominance we would have put them to the sword. Gini and Milner were basically none existent for 90 minutes yet not a peep from anyone.

If you want to point out where Henderson went wrong, by all means go for it. But be fair, if you do that for him do it for the rest. Look at why he played badly (if he did in your eyes). Some of the posts of what he did wrong are written by a 12 year old whose only exposure to football is Match of the Day and Fifa.

If we are calling a spade a spade, your posting history is abysmal.
Post of the weekend for me, I think the word embarassing is the most accurate to describe the people moaning about Hendo. I mean he was the best out of the starting three, hands down. The Post you replied to said something about spraying the balls out wide as unintelligent. In his post match presser Klopp said that switching the side quickly was the key to control the game, and the second half was lost because we stopped doing that.

I am not saying that Hendo is perfect, but the way our own fans abuse him is just shocking. Without ever showing any factual proof to back their arguments.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
as sheamus was saying... I have mini heart attacks watching Liverpool over the years and yesterday was the most I felt it watching a match in a long time. It took probably at least an hour or 2 after the match just to calm down and stop shaking. I must have already watched the end of the match 4 times now since. anyways.. great epic win and I now believe! Yesterday was my happiest day of the year so far.... I'm still on an emotional high today in the office with hardly any sleep... I love this feeling!

hendo didn't have a good match and I'm sure Fab will take his spot back for the next.. and oh yeah I picked Andy for man of the match. VVD was great too and also saved a goal.. but so did Robertson and he created a goal. Our defense is so good that teams have to score goals like Spurs did against us. everything had to be so perfect and the ball was even rolling before he took the free kick. VAR would have taken that goal back I think because of that...

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
as sheamus was saying... I have mini heart attacks watching Liverpool over the years and yesterday was the most I felt it watching a match in a long time. It took probably at least an hour or 2 after the match just to calm down and stop shaking. I must have already watched the end of the match 4 times now since. anyways.. great epic win and I now believe! Yesterday was my happiest day of the year so far.... I'm still on an emotional high today in the office with hardly any sleep... I love this feeling!

hendo didn't have a good match and I'm sure Fab will take his spot back for the next.. and oh yeah I picked Andy for man of the match. VVD was great too and also saved a goal.. but so did Robertson and he created a goal. Our defense is so good that teams have to score goals like Spurs did against us. everything had to be so perfect and the ball was even rolling before he took the free kick. VAR would have taken that goal back I think because of that...
No apparently that would be outside the scope of var. Freekicks, corners , throws won't be reviews even when they lead to goals

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Henderson has a role to play in this side, and the progression we need to make - as fans if not as a club - is to move past this idea of a first eleven, and the rest are shit.

In midfield believe we have a need for two players who can screen the defence (which would be Fab and Hendo), two ball carriers (which would be Keita and Ox), two creative sparks (which would be Shaq and TBC) and two good all rounders (which would be Wijnaldum and Hendo again). Fabinho has the ability to drop into defence and Keita, Ox, Shaq and TBC can all step into the forward line if necessary, especially if we play a 4231.

We have to get to the point where Klopp is able to shape his midfield from 6-7 excellent options, of which Hendo would be one. I think Fab is a better player and is world class in that position, but there are plenty of games where we don’t need world class. Very good would also be fine.
To be frank I am excited about TBC too. A great prospect. But I am just now sure whether TBC can do it in a rainy Wednesday in Stoke.
That is my guess as well. A midfield group of Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Fabinho gives you close to two-deep at each position in a midfield three. If Milner leaves at the end of the season, the replacement would probably be an understudy for the deepest position. The attacking midfield has been the weakest performing/most inconsistent part of the team most of the season, but it is not hard to understand why.
If at all we go for a Milner replacement, I thought it would be for an AM/number 10. As in a 433/4231/4411, we have Fab, Wij and Hendo to cover the deepest positions. Even in a double pivot number 6, these 3 should be sufficient.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
To be frank I am excited about TBC too. A great prospect. But I am just now sure whether TBC can do it in a rainy Wednesday in Stoke.

If at all we go for a Milner replacement, I thought it would be for an AM/number 10. As in a 433/4231/4411, we have Fab, Wij and Hendo to cover the deepest positions. Even in a double pivot number 6, these 3 should be sufficient.
My take is that ideally Wijnaldum and Henderson are competing for the same spot, Keita/O-C for the most advanced. Wijnaldum and Henderson can both cover that deep spot, but it is not their ideal position. Now, that assumes Milner leaves, and that Klopp remains confident that Keita will deliver.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Quick update from @Red_Jedi: he claims he is still tired. He promised to do some light stretching and jogging though to be ready for Friday. I suggested he buy a nice warm up suit and he is looking into it. Nice to see everyone doing their bit into the run-in.
Isn't everyone shattered? Think we all need a recovery session for a few days - get ourselves ready for Friday. Did that shit really go down yesterday? Or is it all a dream, and Roy Hodgson is still our manager?

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Bit late commenting this week. Thought it was a good performance against a strong opponent.Just about deserved the win. Mo still below par but he is not hiding and surely he will bounce back soon. I had given it up when we scored the winner I just sat and said " it´s gone in" . The wife, who has become a fan after visiting the City and the ground a few weeks ago, danced around the room :-)

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
24 hours later I can finally post something a bit more coherent.

It was a very similar game to last season even down to the late drama although this time it was at the right end. We started well, scored early, could have had a couple more. Second half Spurs were well on top. Just like last season. They pulled us from one side of the pitch to the other. We got deeper and deeper and you could see the equaliser coming 10-15 minutes before it actually arrived.

Klopp said their goal got us playing again but I think it was the substitutions. Origi's contribution has gone under the radar but he was direct and made a conscious effort to get to the bye line. Fabinho instantly lifted the midfield. He was on the front foot and aggressive. There was a time for Milner/Gini/Henderson as the default combo against the better teams but that time has probably past. Teams don't engage with us in the same way any more and that trio become very passive, sitting too deep to the point where we can't get out and there is a chasm between them and the forwards. There was a long spell in the second half when I couldn't remember Salah or Firmino touching the ball.

All of the midfield three were poor but I felt for Henderson. By the time he came off he couldn't do anything right and there were plenty round me giving him stick. He must have been aware of it. His substitution was a good 15 minutes overdue. He wasn't alone though in being well below par. Alisson played as if he was half asleep and Kane mercilessly targeted Matip. Thank god for Robertson and VVD. Robertson is a perfect mix of fan on the pitch style dogged determination and technical excellence. His cross for Bobby was sublime. And just when you thought you'd seen it all from VVD he demonstrates a masterclass in how to defend a 2 v 1. Yes, he is so good he can do the job of 2 CBs simultaneously.

It was manic at the end. You could feel the desperation as we saw the dream slipping away but then they somehow managed to keep it alive. Scrappy, lucky, definitely but the pressure these players are under is intense and some allowances have to be made. I don't expect any easy rides between now and the season. Too much at stake, but this team is the most resilient we have had in years and you can never count them out.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
24 hours later I can finally post something a bit more coherent.
There was a time for Milner/Gini/Henderson as the default combo against the better teams but that time has probably past. Teams don't engage with us in the same way any more and that trio become very passive, sitting too deep to the point where we can't get out and there is a chasm between them and the forwards.
This point is excellent and probably the best way of describing why the midfield 3 of Gini, Hendo and Milner doesn’t work. Last season when we were underdogs this midfield pressed at such a high intensity it was our biggest chance creator by forcing turn overs. This season as you say teams sit off us scared shitless of being pressed into mistakes and the three’s strongest attributes are redundant, whilst exposing their short-comings.

This is why Oxlade is fantastic, he can press like the three above but also is a massive creative force at either dribbling from deep or joining the attack. Its what we hoped Keita would provide also.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
This title chase stuff is genuinely not enjoyable. Its excruciating to watch.

Spurs can certainly feel a little hard done by, but I felt they really only competed from the 45th minute to their goal in the 70th minute. We stepped up as soon as they equalised. We really needed to get the 2nd goal when we were on top, but thankfully it didn't cost us. Robbo was my MOTM and I also thought Trent was very good.

I don't want to turn this into another Hendo bashing, but he has was poor yesterday. I actually like him and think he is good value in the squad, but Fabinho is hands down our best DM and she showed that in his brief cameo yesterday. Yes.... Ginnie and Milner were also quiet and up against quality opponents, but Hendo turned the ball over numerous times and I was really unsure on whether his role was to screen, push forward or something else. To me, it looked even Hendo himself was unsure.

Another slightly negative aspect for me was Alisson. I know this will be an EXTREMELY unpopular opinion on here, but I am yet to be convinced and fully won over by his displays this season. Good keeper no doubt, and an obvious improvement on Karius, but I cant help but feel our brilliant back 4 and conservative midfield protect his short comings. I certainly don't think he has any business being discussed among the worlds best at the moment.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I really don't see how anyone can even think about bringing back standing stands to Andfield.
We are keeping the fans at regular stage of pre stroke as it is. When the players came out to do their cool down , all the fans were still there, trying to regulate their heart rythem.I still am.

Da Bulli

Maybe City has the better team.
But in football the better team doesn‘t always win.
If City wins their remaining games we can do what we want, we can‘t catch them.
If so they are deserved chamions and congratulations to them.
My hope is that they will lose unexpected points.
Wether we can take profit from that remains to be seen.
City are good..no doubt.Its probable that Liverpool, and I am not speaking as a fan,are better.
But the majority of fans on this site have tempered their expectations due to the emotional scars of previous disappointments.Understandable.
Let’s say you don’t have any expectations and no history.Now ask yourself who is most likely to win the EPL this year?

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
don't fully understand why we let them dictate the game in the second half. has got to be better game management and I think VVD as our captain, this would be evident. Hendo is not the worst, but he is not the one to dictate authority simply by being on the pitch. Please don't get me wrong, as I understand that he is a valuable cog in the team, but we need to dictate and win games without inducing health issues. At this stage of the season, sentiment has to be pocketed and a ruthless streak shown, so it scares any teams that play against us, be it home or away.
Don’t understand this. Playing Spurs we have to expect we will not be dictating the game for 90min. They are a highly capable club also in the quarterfinals of CL with plenty of talent on the pitch.

We won by a fine margin and on to next week

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Post of the weekend for me, I think the word embarassing is the most accurate to describe the people moaning about Hendo. I mean he was the best out of the starting three, hands down. The Post you replied to said something about spraying the balls out wide as unintelligent. In his post match presser Klopp said that switching the side quickly was the key to control the game, and the second half was lost because we stopped doing that.

I am not saying that Hendo is perfect, but the way our own fans abuse him is just shocking. Without ever showing any factual proof to back their arguments.
I agree that the bashing is uncalled for; however I think it is a function of that fact that in big games Henderson seems to be preferred to Fabinho.

The above is not Henderson's fault. As time passes there are more who quite simply see Fabinho as a better player ( I tend to agree).
Henderson has been a great servant to this club, but I think for us to reach the levels we desire it may be that his role will need to diminish. He has never, nor will he ever be world class, he is however a very tidy footballer who gives his all when he plays and thats all we can ask for. If he were to take up a squad role next season I think it would be great for us as a club.

The catch of course with all this is opinion, it doesn't justify the behaviour of our fans but it is a a way for them to vent their frustration.

If I am frank next season I think our midfield needs to change, I have for a long time backed them and defended them but if we are to go to the next level and consistently fight for top honours we need more consistent quality. While we have been workmanlike and energetic the DeBruyne's and Silvas of this world have shown us that you can have both of those traits and still have quality to create as well.

That means Henderson/Milner/Gini all have questions over their head .....if 2 out of those 3 were in rotation that maybe ok - but I geniunely think we need a starting 3 above these guys - that may be Fabinho/Keita/Ox but 2 of those have major questions over them for different reasons right now.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
This stat must put the idea that Klopp's game management is flawed to bed.
Although playing Devils advocate, we score late because we have to (i.e putting pressure on ourselves) - City are't on the list because they already put games to bed well before the 75th minute mark and are rotating and in cruise control........

Dane

NEXT!
I agree that the bashing is uncalled for; however I think it is a function of that fact that in big games Henderson seems to be preferred to Fabinho.

The above is not Henderson's fault. As time passes there are more who quite simply see Fabinho as a better player ( I tend to agree).
Henderson has been a great servant to this club, but I think for us to reach the levels we desire it may be that his role will need to diminish. He has never, nor will he ever be world class, he is however a very tidy footballer who gives his all when he plays and thats all we can ask for. If he were to take up a squad role next season I think it would be great for us as a club.

The catch of course with all this is opinion, it doesn't justify the behaviour of our fans but it is a a way for them to vent their frustration.

If I am frank next season I think our midfield needs to change, I have for a long time backed them and defended them but if we are to go to the next level and consistently fight for top honours we need more consistent quality. While we have been workmanlike and energetic the DeBruyne's and Silvas of this world have shown us that you can have both of those traits and still have quality to create as well.

That means Henderson/Milner/Gini all have questions over their head .....if 2 out of those 3 were in rotation that maybe ok - but I geniunely think we need a starting 3 above these guys - that may be Fabinho/Keita/Ox but 2 of those have major questions over them for different reasons right now.
Most people have their short list of favourite players, and the problem with a public forum is that when one of those favourites comes in for criticism, the defensive mechanism goes into overdrive.

I haven't seen any over the top criticism of Henderson, yet the haters label gets rolled out, saying he's an easy target etc.

That's forum life for ya

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
This title chase stuff is genuinely not enjoyable. Its excruciating to watch.

Spurs can certainly feel a little hard done by, but I felt they really only competed from the 45th minute to their goal in the 70th minute. We stepped up as soon as they equalised. We really needed to get the 2nd goal when we were on top, but thankfully it didn't cost us. Robbo was my MOTM and I also thought Trent was very good.

I don't want to turn this into another Hendo bashing, but he has was poor yesterday. I actually like him and think he is good value in the squad, but Fabinho is hands down our best DM and she showed that in his brief cameo yesterday. Yes.... Ginnie and Milner were also quiet and up against quality opponents, but Hendo turned the ball over numerous times and I was really unsure on whether his role was to screen, push forward or something else. To me, it looked even Hendo himself was unsure.

Another slightly negative aspect for me was Alisson. I know this will be an EXTREMELY unpopular opinion on here, but I am yet to be convinced and fully won over by his displays this season. Good keeper no doubt, and an obvious improvement on Karius, but I cant help but feel our brilliant back 4 and conservative midfield protect his short comings. I certainly don't think he has any business being discussed among the worlds best at the moment.
I like this post becuase it's contrarian on a number of points
However, I'm a little unsure about the validity of the gender reassignment for Fab

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Most people have their short list of favourite players, and the problem with a public forum is that when one of those favourites comes in for criticism, the defensive mechanism goes into overdrive.

I haven't seen any over the top criticism of Henderson, yet the haters label gets rolled out, saying he's an easy target etc.

That's forum life for ya
In other words, Hendo is the new Lucas