• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool v Spurs (UCL FINAL 1/6/2019 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 201 75.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Wijnaldum [off 62’]

• Henderson

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Mane [off 89’]

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 2’]

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Firmino [off 58’]

• Origi [on 58’, GOAL 87’]

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Milner [on 62’]

• Gomez [on 89’]

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
I did not care how we won it - just that we did. They were all man-of-matches, including all the reds who were there, and the ones in Madrid not at the game. Just fantastic watching the you-tube clips of the scenes before and after the result - no-one will ever know just how much that personally helped me. I wrote a piece o Why I Love Liverpool before the final and that result and our fans just made me love us even more...

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
A year ago today.

Having watched it back recently, we actually played better than I remember.

Tottenham came into it in the second half but only put us under any pressure for about 6 or 7 minutes. Otherwise we were totally comfortable.

The back 5, Henderson, Mane and Salah were all excellent. Fab was decent, Gini and Firmino struggled to get into the game. Milner steadied the ship off the bench and Origi scored the goal that made us comfortable.

The real work was done 3 weeks earlier. I never had any real doubts that we'd win this final. We were the better side and it showed on the night.

Limiescouse

Aye, it wasnt an attractive game, but that didnt mean we struggled. Spurs offered next to fuck all and so after taking the lead so early that was fine by us.

Still though the most memorable bits is at the end with Klopp doing his rounds of giving out hugs and he gets to Hendo who is in absolute bits. The moment they shared then is so powerful, but also such a personal moment between them that it almost feels like an intrusion to watch it.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I listened to the Anfield Wrap interview with Klopp again, and the thing that isn’t really understood it how hot it was. Klopp’s opinion is that while it wasn’t a great game it was a mature pregnancy to cope with conditions as we did.

Wilkored08

Aye, it wasnt an attractive game, but that didnt mean we struggled. Spurs offered next to fuck all and so after taking the lead so early that was fine by us.

Still though the most memorable bits is at the end with Klopp doing his rounds of giving out hugs and he gets to Hendo who is in absolute bits. The moment they shared then is so powerful, but also such a personal moment between them that it almost feels like an intrusion to watch it.
And The captain with his dad.... After that I think we were all in bits....

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
And The captain with his dad.... After that I think we were all in bits....
I was in bits as soon as the whistle went. It was a long and rocky road from Kiev to Madrid. That scene with Hendo and his Dad was special, after his Dad had been unwell the year or so before.

What a memorable night in Madrid!

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
You know that bit when the final whistle blows and Jurgen hugs Poch and the camera zooms into the audience, we see Gerard, there is a couple next to him, he is greeting them, do you know who they are, they look familiar, not sure if they are sports people or actors/celebrities?

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
memories evoked and emotions stirred after watching the final again and especially Herr Klopp immediately after the final whistle. Our club certainly affects a vast majority of people around the world in a very positive way. The minority not affected don’t know much about football and passion which includes manure.
YNWA

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
All the pundits were saying we were playing bad, but I thought we defended very well.
We were just better in both boxes. Took our chances, could have had a couple more, and didn’t let Spurs have anything.

Spurs played well in the centre of the pitch, but that doesn’t really count for much if you are not as good in attack and defence.

Limiescouse

We were just better in both boxes. Took our chances, could have had a couple more, and didn’t let Spurs have anything.

Spurs played well in the centre of the pitch, but that doesn’t really count for much if you are not as good in attack and defence.
Harry Winks was considered their best player on the day. You cannot win a final if he's your most effective player. And he twce just passed it straight into touch such was his lack of decent passing options.