• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool v Villa (EPL 5/7/20 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 46 54.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Gomez

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Robertson [off 90+3’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho [off 60’]

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Keita [off 84’]

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 60’]

• Salah

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Origi [off 60’]

• Mane [GOAL 71’]

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Henderson [on 60’]

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Wijnaldum [on 60’]

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Firmino [on 60’]

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jones [on 84’, GOAL 89’]

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Williams [on 90+3’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Never in doubt.

There was much talk before the match about how this could be an opportunity to introduce some of the youngsters into the starting line-up but Klopp had already intimated earlier in the week that he wasn’t going to blood kids just for the sake of it- a clear indication that he has his sights set on breaking the points record this season.

Haven’t read about any injuries to Henderson or Firmino; I take it that the captain was rested, while Bobby has been below his breathtaking best of late and may well have been dropped so that he could reflect on his recent below-par efforts. I wouldn’t have been at all surprised to have seen Gomez dropped after his less than stellar showing at the Emptihad but it would appear that Degsy has played his last meaningful game for the club, given that he wasn’t selected today.

Dean Smith was very complimentary about us before the match and honest, too. His stated pre-match objective was to try to keep a clean sheet and nick a goal and nobody could have been surprised at Villa setting up with everyone behind the ball from the off.

The new-look central midfield of Keïta and Ox, ahead of Fabinho, looked very attacking on paper but Ox struggled, as though he was trying a bit too hard.

I’m not sure which was more shocking- Divock’s new hairstyle or his performance. Not one of his better days at the office. Bobby looked fresher when brought on and was denied by a fine Reina save after some good interplay with Mo.

Good finish by Mané for the opening goal, after Baby had done well to find him, while young Jones took his goal with aplomb.

Overall, then, a far from vintage performance but three points closer to the Premier League record and our run of consecutive home wins continues.

HOTM: Deja, who won the 3:15 at Haydock today and landed me a few quid in the process.

RIRed

Happy with the result, extremely disappointed with the performance. Yes, championship race is over and with it the pressure. But after Thursday’s failed display, I was expecting some pride performance. Time to let the youngs play, they are hungry

Incognito

The Normal One
It was a typical 19-20 season game, even though it didn't seem one because of the perception of underperforming being the champions. Calm and patient throughout the first 60, getting important goals when it mattered at the end, clean sheet and important 3 points.
Effective, efficient, getting the job done performance.

Alisson with an excellent performance and one of the MotM.

Oh and hey Villa, why couldn't you score 5 now and hey look, the kid this time scored and hopefully will sink you down! ;)

Alright Now

Never in doubt.

There was much talk before the match about how this could be an opportunity to introduce some of the youngsters into the starting line-up but Klopp had already intimated earlier in the week that he wasn’t going to blood kids just for the sake of it- a clear indication that he has his sights set on breaking the points record this season.

Haven’t read about any injuries to Henderson or Firmino; I take it that the captain was rested, while Bobby has been below his breathtaking best of late and may well have been dropped so that he could reflect on his recent below-par efforts. I wouldn’t have been at all surprised to have seen Gomez dropped after his less than stellar showing at the Emptihad but it would appear that Degsy has played his last meaningful game for the club, given that he wasn’t selected today.

Dean Smith was very complimentary about us before the match and honest, too. His stated pre-match objective was to try to keep a clean sheet and nick a goal and nobody could have been surprised at Villa setting up with everyone behind the ball from the off.

The new-look central midfield of Keïta and Ox, ahead of Fabinho, looked very attacking on paper but Ox struggled, as though he was trying a bit too hard.

I’m not sure which was more shocking- Divock’s new hairstyle or his performance. Not one of his better days at the office. Bobby looked fresher when brought on and was denied by a fine Reina save after some good interplay with Mo.

Good finish by Mané for the opening goal, after Baby had done well to find him, while young Jones took his goal with aplomb.

Overall, then, a far from vintage performance but three points closer to the Premier League record and our run of consecutive home wins continues.

HOTM: Deja, who won the 3:15 at Haydock today and landed me a few quid in the process.
Rushed over to see this. Would you be willing to preview the horse races for us? Thanks.

Joe Gomez x

Don’t have a MOTM really, can’t think of many maybe Curtis or Ali.
We were not great, came alive after the triple sub. Naby brilliant assist after my criticism of him. Plenty of mediocrity in the first half. Improved though in the second. A wins a win. Delighted for Curtis

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I voted Sadio, Alisson and Jonesy. Although, a case could be made for Hendo too. The compete level and focus in the entire side changed IMMEDIATELY upon Captain Hendo coming on. He made a tremendous difference even if his name is not in the score sheet.

Sadio was again dynamic tonight and our best player start to finish.

So happy for young Jones netting his first PL goal at Anfield. Right after redoing his contract. Pure class.

macca1970

First half was quite poor. I called it before the game to not panic if goaless at the break. Nothing much created, but credit to Villa, who came with a plan to try to stay in the game and see if they can nick something.

A game of patience, keep probing, and then get the rewards at the end. Henderson, Gini and Bobby coming up instantly tightened our midfield (we started to win the ball back quicker), and more link up play up front.

Nice opening goal by Mane, then a well worked team goal for the second. Happy for Curtis to get that second.

Next game is midweek away at Brighton. Expect a few rotation changes again. 89 points not out.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Disjointed performance but the subs made the difference. It's underappreciated because he usually starts but Firmino is so good off the bench. Gomez and Trent were much better than they were in the week. Robbo once again looked like he'd drank his bodyweight in bucksfizz the night before.

Games like that can expose our technical deficiencies. So many players out there with a poor first touch today, the contrast after the subs were made was stark.

Chamberlain is in danger of being pushed out of our midfield, he just doesn't use the ball well enough. He never looks like he has time on the ball, everything is rushed. You saw even in the few minutes he was on the pitch that Jones is a much more technically gifted player, and he can realistically force his way ahead of Ox soon.

Still, 100% record at Anfield remains in tact.

Sweeting

Always loads of crying in the inmatch thread when we aren't winning early but I said at half time it's simply a matter of when, not if.

Thought Salah was our best player first half and then in the second half Mane and Keita played well. First goal was lovely, two driven through balls by Trent and Naby and then a great finish by Mane. That driven pass is so important, it's takes defenses put of games altogether.

Whole team had already improved by Henderson, Gini and Firmino coming on.

Nice to see Jones get his goal too.

All in all its a pretty similar game to that which won us the league. We were pretty controlled, never really looked in danger and relied on our greater quality to eventually get the job done.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
With 4 games in 9 days this was never going to be a blockbuster performance. We were playing well within ourselves. Just doing enough. We only really brightened up when the substitutions were made but I never thought Villa would score and it was all about us trying to create that high percentage chance, which we did in the end. Brilliantly worked goal for Mane and I'm made up that Curtis got one at the end. Routine win with a clean sheet at the fag end of the season with the title won. Can't ask for much more than that.

Magnus

I don't know why, but we were incredibly much better after the swaps, including players who played badly previous to that. By saying I don't know why I am not saying that the players who came on aren't incredibly important, but we should have played better without them.
Several players were dejected and our movement wasn't good. Salah ok, Mane very good all game, Roberterson had glimses of being good, but misplaced too many passes to get good marks. Worried for Oxlaide, I hope he uses the next pre-season well. He needs to be better unfortunately. Same with Keita, but I am losing confidence in him and have greater hopes for Oxlaide judged by past experience. But they were not alone, before the tripple swap, most of the team was dejected and Aston Villa was just as dangerous as us (they weren't dangerous, none of us were, but with bad luck they could have had a big chance if one of those early Villa passes went through) and we could not find an opening in their very well established defence.

In the end 2-0 was deserved. Delighted for Jones ! Did well when he came on when you ignore the goal as well.

All in all a relatively bad match from us, but it was enough.
Anyway, I am happy enough. Just a bit worried that we won't get those 100 points unless we start to play better ;)

Werder4life

Never in doubt.

You've got your paper in early again , I see ... I cut some veggies during the match... obviously the pressure to watch has faded slightly after securing the thang...

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I dozed off towards the end of 2nd half. Just saw the scoreline. Got the job done and 3 points in the bag. So glad Curtis scored a goal, hope to see alot of this lad next season.