• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool v Villa (EPL 5/7/20 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 46 54.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Gomez

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Robertson [off 90+3’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho [off 60’]

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Keita [off 84’]

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 60’]

• Salah

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Origi [off 60’]

• Mane [GOAL 71’]

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Henderson [on 60’]

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Wijnaldum [on 60’]

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Firmino [on 60’]

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jones [on 84’, GOAL 89’]

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Williams [on 90+3’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
A good result considering the fact we its hard to motivate the players, plus Villa are fighting for survival points, and the covid has robbed us of the fans. What a reception the team would have got today.
I think its job done under difficult circumstances.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Disjointed performance but the subs made the difference. It's underappreciated because he usually starts but Firmino is so good off the bench. Gomez and Trent were much better than they were in the week. Robbo once again looked like he'd drank his bodyweight in bucksfizz the night before.

Games like that can expose our technical deficiencies. So many players out there with a poor first touch today, the contrast after the subs were made was stark.

Chamberlain is in danger of being pushed out of our midfield, he just doesn't use the ball well enough. He never looks like he has time on the ball, everything is rushed. You saw even in the few minutes he was on the pitch that Jones is a much more technically gifted player, and he can realistically force his way ahead of Ox soon.

Still, 100% record at Anfield remains in tact.
On Gomez, I thought he was quite poor in his aerial challenges, he either misjudged the flight of the ball or wasn't aggressive enough in attacking the ball, for me, this has been and is his biggest problem, he needs to commit more when jumping to challenge

macca1970

Mane in the post match interview saying the pitch was dry in the first half.

We're at home, wtf were the groundstaff doing? Or was it klopp doing some testing

Flobs

FADA
I don't know why, but we were incredibly much better after the swaps, including players who played badly previous to that. By saying I don't know why I am not saying that the players who came on aren't incredibly important, but we should have played better without them.
Several players were dejected and our movement wasn't good. Salah ok, Mane very good all game, Roberterson had glimses of being good, but misplaced too many passes to get good marks. Worried for Oxlaide, I hope he uses the next pre-season well. He needs to be better unfortunately. Same with Keita, but I am losing confidence in him and have greater hopes for Oxlaide judged by past experience. But they were not alone, before the tripple swap, most of the team was dejected and Aston Villa was just as dangerous as us (they weren't dangerous, none of us were, but with bad luck they could have had a big chance if one of those early Villa passes went through) and we could not find an opening in their very well established defence.

In the end 2-0 was deserved. Delighted for Jones ! Did well when he came on when you ignore the goal as well.

All in all a relatively bad match from us, but it was enough.
Anyway, I am happy enough. Just a bit worried that we won't get those 100 points unless we start to play better ;)
We lost width with Keita and AOC. TAA and Robertson don't bomb forward in the system we played with Keita and AOC which means those 2 have to make the difference and they didn't mainly due to being too narrow and lacking inspiration. It also leaves us open and Gomez wasn't particularly good today.

RodM

Jones MotM for me. What an impact. Would love to see him starting before the season is out.

In fact all of the substitutions made a big difference . I thought Manchester and Salah impressed most out of the starting lineup.

macca1970

I don't know why, but we were incredibly much better after the swaps, including players who played badly previous to that.
Gini and Henderson compliment each other and can hunt in packs. The starting midfield were disjointed when out of posession. Ox and Keita would both push forward, and when we lose hte ball up top ((origi was guilty on many occasions), Ox and Naby then have to run back at pace.

With Gini and our captain, their positional play is much stronger and conducive to our team's needs.

NaturalNine

TIA New Signing
Back to business for our lads, a workmanlike victory, nothing exciting just ground the result out. Had a feeling of inevitability about 10 minutes into the 2nd half for me. Absolutely overjoyed for Jones getting a goal just after signing a new deal with us.

For whoever had Ian Wright on your broadcast - I felt that he had it totally on point. He doesn't think that the players care about the record(s) at all, all their energy has already been focused and spent on winning the big prize which is now ours. Now's just about playing each game as it comes and winning them. People finding fault with our heroes can go f*** themselves. We're CHAMPIONS of England and nobody can take that away from us!

Noo Noo

We lost width with Keita and AOC. TAA and Robertson don't bomb forward in the system we played with Keita and AOC which means those 2 have to make the difference and they didn't mainly due to being too narrow and lacking inspiration. It also leaves us open and Gomez wasn't particularly good today.
I would actually put this down to Hendersons introduction. His passing was far more direct and decisive. It turned the Villa midfield and forced hem narrow, giving TAA in particular more space to push on. He also brings others into the game.

The more I see games like this the more I feel we need cover for Henderson and something else up front other than Origi.

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
was happy to see the #mentality #monsters maintain good heads during a not-so-perfect execution of Herr Klopp's plan. in the end stronger minds and talent prevailed. they looked much more like themselves in this match than at the #emptihad.
#YNWA
#mentalitymonsters #Livavl #avlliv #liverpool

phil smith

Good to see Allison back to his best.
Think the wind had a bit of a levelling affect on the game but some of our passing was poor.
Origi proved again that he is not the answer if we are going to leave one of the front three out. The jury is still out on Keita
Great to see Jones get his goal and he needs more playing time next season.
Let’s give it to Brighton on Wednesday.

Last edited:

Noo Noo

Good to see Allison back to his best.
Think the wind had a bit of a levelling affect on the game but some of our passing was poor.
Origi proved again that he is not the answer if we are going to leave one of the front three out. The jury is still out on Keira.
Great to see Jones get his goal and he needs more playing time next season.
Let’s give it to Brighton on Wednesday.
Knightly??

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
When are we going to see the team hold EPL trophy ?

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Dreadful first half, a cure for insomnia. Improved after half time bollocking from Klopp, but much better after the three subs came on. All of a sudden we were moving the ball quicker and passes were actually finding someone in a red shirt.