• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool v Villa (EPL 5/7/20 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 46 54.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Gomez

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Robertson [off 90+3’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho [off 60’]

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Keita [off 84’]

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 60’]

• Salah

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Origi [off 60’]

• Mane [GOAL 71’]

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Henderson [on 60’]

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Wijnaldum [on 60’]

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Firmino [on 60’]

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jones [on 84’, GOAL 89’]

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Williams [on 90+3’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweeting

I think he will still make sure those three get enough appearances though. The "first team" players who wouldn't qualify for one from the league in that case would be Hoever, Larouci, Clarkson, Cain, van den Berg, Clyne, Kelleher and Lonergan. Obviously most of them are not in any meaningful sense a first team player but they have all been regularly training with the first team at Melwood.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Never in doubt.

There was much talk before the match about how this could be an opportunity to introduce some of the youngsters into the starting line-up but Klopp had already intimated earlier in the week that he wasn’t going to blood kids just for the sake of it- a clear indication that he has his sights set on breaking the points record this season.

it would appear that Degsy has played his last meaningful game for the club, given that he wasn’t selected
I think it also sends a signal that you have to earn game time. Your not entitled to it simply because you need blooding. Your on the pitch through merit.

I think it was Degsy's birthday today, so that may be why he wasn't in the squad.

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
Much better than Thursday, even if it took a little while to get going and even though Villa caused us a few, minor problems. I love all of the front three but Mane is my favorite — he's got incredible pace, aerial ability, and the ability to conjure something out of nothing (I know it was a good cross from Naby, but Mane's movement to get into the space where the ball went was excellent). Hell, he's the dictionary definition two-footed — I don't know of any other player except maybe Pedro who is seemingly as good with both feet (though I'm sure most would agree Mane is the far superior player overall).

Didn't watch Thursday — had to follow the min-by-min — so this was my first game I've watched with Liverpool as Champions. Pretty nice feeling, have to say, even if it does feel a bit surreal!

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Some glaring negatives first: With Ox and Keita in the starting mid-field, I was expecting our boys would be running at their centre and defence, with long range goals bulging the opposition's net. The truth was not to be. Pretty much what Ox did turned into fools gold. Keita was barely better. Without the accuracy and determination that we normally get with Hendo and Gini, nor the link up plays by Bobby, we were sputtering along for 70 minutes like a misfired engine. I thought that we were somewhat fortunate that we weren't facing a more effective attacking opposition, as Villa could not pass the balls even if their lives were depending on it.

Boss had seen enough by then and brought on 3 subs (I thought Gini was going to replace Keita initially). The whole dynamics of the game changed immediately. There were more purpose to our passing and attacking. Hendo was everything managing our boys. Salah and Mane became a lot more effective. Great to sse Jones and Williams on the pitch again. Was Williams playing on the left flank in place of Robbo?

Until our subs came on, I would have picked Alison as MotM. Virg and Robbo/Salah would be the other possible picks. But here are my final picks:

1. Mane: Broke the deadlock with a wonder goal. TAA played a lot like an attacking mid, a nice pass to Keita (glad that the boss left him on!), and a beautiful thru ball to Mane that roofed the net.

2. Salah: A threat against Villa the entire game. Surprised that he did not get a penalty when he was pulled on the shoulder. Really would like to see him scoring a goal to stay within striking distance of the golden boot. Robbo's cross was not the greatest, probably because of the wind, but what a layoff header by Mo to set up Jones to net the second goal.

3. Jones: Debut premier league goal! No lack of confidence (as you can see with a massive over the net on his first shot). Have the smarts to step a couple of yards to get into better position to slot the ball in.

A huge shout out to Hendo and Ali: Hendo took charge from a lethargic display from our boys, which made the match a lot more watchable (for us anyways). Ali with his usual concentration, bailed us out several times, and on top of that, keeping a clean sheet.

Edit: That was a proper guard of honour by Villa, nothing like the terrible ManC one. Thanks Villa!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I'm pretty sure all the players are feeling the magnitude of winning the league - and everyone has dropped in their performance by a percentage or two.... which means the team doesn't function as well. We could see that today and last Thursday.

Having said that, they got the 2 goals. The subs changed the game, bobby knitted it all together and Hendo bossed it.

So nice to see Curtis score - pretty good record at Anfield for him.

I wonder what we will do with Trent's song now that we could have 2 scousers in the team. Possibly 3 if Neco keeps stepping in too (even though he's welsh - but been at Liverpool since he was a kid).

Well I'm glad we got win number 17 at Anfield. 12 more points needed to get over 100 which is 4 wins out of 5.

I think we've got our pre season out of the way now - so will see the real team for the next 5 matches.

We walk on. Well actually, lets just stay on our Perch for a while.

Ron Swanson

Not blazing match to watch but at least it looks like the hangover is over, Mane should be signed up for the rest of his career. Great to see Curtis bag his goal lad is going to be a special player for us in the years to come.
It clearly showed the difference in our play when Hendo and Bobby came on, they are crucial cogs in our machine.
Felt for pepe as no doubt would of loved coming back to say his goodbyes to the fans that he never got to do.

FGred

Mane in the post match interview saying the pitch was dry in the first half.

We're at home, wtf were the groundstaff doing? Or was it klopp doing some testing
No Klopp explained that the high winds dried the pitch which was thoroughly watered before the match which made playing the ball difficult and the wind blew crosses back From where we launched them

Redopium

Very disappointed with the performance of the Ox today, it was like playing with a man less as soon as he was replaced we started playing much better. Don't know why Klopp keeps playing Origi out wide it's a waste of time, he needs to be up top.
Delighted for Jones to score and Williams to get another appearance. Mane my man of the match.

Danny_

Curtis Jones is actually probably the biggest prospect coming out of the academy right now. Other players are being over-hyped and he, if anything, has been under-hyped. He looks like he really has potential and he is only 19 so if he takes another step up, we have a great player on our hands.

alaskared

Kloppite
Expected more direct play from Ox & Keita but it wasn't so. Hendo is so much quicker & aggressive & plays higher up the pitch he helps create space against a well drilled defense. Mane saved the day, even though he was slower than usual all day.
Very happy for Curtis, I wish Klopp hadn't said anything about the medals and instead just makes sure that Neco,Curtis & Elliot get the few more appearances required.

As far as the lads keeping focus after becoming Champions, I'd say it's like your wife expecting you to stay awake after coitus, unlikely. Mission accomplished and all...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The game was gash over 60 minutes to be fair. Then, the introduction of Hendo, Bobby and Gini changed a lot. The rhythm got more fluid, the pace at which the ball travelled was far higher, and the precision which had been lacking all day was suddenly back. The two goals were logical in the end.

My Mom is Allisson though, for saving the day before we put the game beyond doubt. A great game from him. My two other votes: Hendo (leadership) and Mané, who was the only one to work his socks off during the ninety minutes and deserved his excellent goal thoroughly (excellent assist from Keita).

Very happy for Scott Jones, that goal will fuel his confidence and further his standing in the squad. I admired Salah's awareness and altruism for the assist.

Once again, the lads manage to overcome a difficult day and opponent with the three points. The win and the clean sheet is good for us after that 4-0 thumping the other day.

Red over the water

Job done. I half expected a big reaction after the Man City game but we took a long time to get going. The subs injected some impetus and we ran out worthy winners. Villa are fighting for their lives so it makes sense that there are no gimmes.

I liked the look of Keita. I like how he plays with his head up, and also the angles he finds with his passes. I would persist with him as if he get the form back he showed in Germany, he will be an excellent player.

Mane has scored in the last 5 matches in which the team have scored. Money Mane. Very impressive.
Alisson showed why he’s the best in the world with two very good saves.
Curtis Jones impressed in the few minutes he had. That finish was a lot harder than it looked, as he was on his heels and had to swivel to get any sort of purchase on the shot. I wanted Aouar, not least as Lyon might have to sell and there might be some value there, but on second thoughts, what’s to say our local lad won’t be the better player? Good look Curtis Jones, I hope you build a stellar career here.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The game was gash over 60 minutes to be fair. Then, the introduction of Hendo, Bobby and Gini changed a lot. The rhythm got more fluid, the pace at which the ball travelled was far higher, and the precision which had been lacking all day was suddenly back. The two goals were logical in the end.

My Mom is Allisson though, for saving the day before we put the game beyond doubt. A great game from him. My two other votes: Hendo (leadership) and Mané, who was the only one to work his socks off during the ninety minutes and deserved his excellent goal thoroughly (excellent assist from Keita).

Very happy for Scott Jones, that goal will fuel his confidence and further his standing in the squad. I admired Salah's awareness and altruism for the assist.

Once again, the lads manage to overcome a difficult day and opponent with the three points. The win and the clean sheet is good for us after that 4-0 thumping the other day.
I assume you mean Curtis Jones.....

Anyhow I agree with everything you said, good to get Thursday out of the system and Alisson and Hendo were my picks.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I don’t think anyone needs to see Origi start for us again. Minamino must be awful in training for origi to start.
keita - got the assist but was anonymous for most of the match.He doesn’t seem to be doing a lot to prove he’s worthy of a start. I don’t want to see him coming deep and passing the ball back 2m which is what he done for 90% of his time on the pitch. Does Thiago replace him if he signs? Will be interesting next season what happens to Nabby.
Ox was terrible all game as was Robbo bat once decent cross.
I gave Alisson man of match for great handling and great save at the end.
Villa - I’d be worried that they only really tested Allison once and didn’t create much against a Lfc team who were again not at their best if I were them.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Gave it to Becker again. People like Origi, Ox and Keïta should do better when given the chance.