Post match: Liverpool v Villa (EPL 5/7/20 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 46 54.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Gomez

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Robertson [off 90+3’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho [off 60’]

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Keita [off 84’]

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 60’]

• Salah

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Origi [off 60’]

• Mane [GOAL 71’]

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Henderson [on 60’]

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Wijnaldum [on 60’]

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Firmino [on 60’]

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jones [on 84’, GOAL 89’]

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Williams [on 90+3’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Redbelly

TIA Youth Team
I've heard the arguments for Trent in midfield in the past. I don't give it much thought, why move when you're the best right back in the world?
But today, there was one mazy dribble from Trent through the midfield followed by a diagonal (I think), that made me second guess that, for just a moment.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Good result,ordinary performance,waiting to see them get it together and finish the season in style,not today,though.
A win is a win however it is achieved.
Curtis had a few minutes he will remember for the rest of his life,over the moon for him.
Alisson MOTM,for me,didn't have a lot to do but when it came,he did it.Job done!

sabbatwolf

TIA Youth Team
The game was mostly dull, but as others have said before 'Champions find a way to win'. A couple of lovely goals, especially that peach from young Curtis Jones. What a prospect he looks to be.

I don't think anyone was particularly terrible and the high wind must have made ball control difficult.

RedinAsia

This was a nice 'early' 22.30 KO for me, and for 45mins I wished I hadn't bothered. Watching Trent lose and misplace the ball so often was frustrating and Keita wasn't much better. The OX was ineffective and as for 'peroxide' Origi, he ain't fit to clean Firmino's boots.
Keita redeemed himself with the slick assist for Mane's goal.. Hendo showed what a great captain he is and pleased to see Jones get his debut goal via a deft cushioned header from Salah.
MOM for me was our GK. Always in control and at the ready despite not having a great deal to do.

NZred

The Red From NZ
I do laugh at some people talking about how average we've been this season and how lucky we have been in a lot of 1 goal wins. That should fucking terrify the rest of the league, not be cause for celebration or piss-taking. If we have been that average and pissed the league this easily, imagine a season where we play to our full potential.

jim bouki

Isn't that the reason he left Arsenal and didn't want to play for Conte?
Possibly. Milner initially came here for the same reason he wanted to play central but circumstances change and he sacrificed himself for the greater good of the team and now he's a Liverpool legend. Fans have mentioned gini filling in at LB as well it's just out of all the midfielders i feel ox is best equipped to play that role. He has pace to burn and a decent left peg.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I do laugh at some people talking about how average we've been this season and how lucky we have been in a lot of 1 goal wins. That should fucking terrify the rest of the league, not be cause for celebration or piss-taking. If we have been that average and pissed the league this easily, imagine a season where we play to our full potential.
The same people claim it’s VAR and a premier league conspiracy that has got us over the line.....

The facts are there to either prove or smash that theory...........

Let’s not bother looking them up though......

Even trents ‘hand ball’ was irrelevant in the arguement, the penalty would never have been fairly given because of the Silva hand ball first, at best the play could have been stopped for review, but that’s a full 21 seconds before Fabinho scores, citeh weren’t asked to stop while we played on.

Fucking childish really and so petty, when you romp the league by around seven games subject to the next five results, to suggest for a second, it’s anything other than a totally dominant football season is embarrassing for the accuser

We were cut up about last season, but I don’t remember anyone CONSTANTLY banging on about it, and yet LFC is cast with that horrible slur beginning with v that I won’t utter.

To be honest, now I’ve seen us win a league, I’m not even fussed about what they say, if in fact I ever actually was.

We won the league, fair and square.

It actually makes me feel superior when I look back at how graciously I accepted man utds and man cities league wins, and all the shit I had to hear at the local club, to watch them all squirm and come out with the most pathetic excuses and deflect everything and pretend it Le all about next season already....

Zzzzzzzzz

Incognito

The Normal One
Possibly. Milner initially came here for the same reason he wanted to play central but circumstances change and he sacrificed himself for the greater good of the team and now he's a Liverpool legend. Fans have mentioned gini filling in at LB as well it's just out of all the midfielders i feel ox is best equipped to play that role. He has pace to burn and a decent left peg.
Yeah. Many managers thought the same for Ox apparently.

Think the circumstances from Milner's perspective was more of a change in manager and him being in the latter stages of his career. That's not true for Ox and hence him happily moving to a full back role here seems difficult.

nikz200

I don't know what to say about that, its good we won, but we just lack the bite especially in the first half. Its strange to say that because i thought the team selection albeit Origi was on point in general. But Ox looked blunt a bit, Keita was ok, and when he executed his assist it was great. But everyone else sort of lacked tempo in that first half. Chance creation in the first half was almost non existent and then i was a bit surprised that Firmino came into the game. Obviously Klopp wanted victory so he chose firmino instead of Minamino who i felt would have benefitted from starting in this game......

One positive was Curtis Jones who i thought was fantastic when he came on. Really commendable debut and took his goal very well. This kid is looking more and more the business the more i see of him our first team appearances.

I reckon OX could be moulded into a great backup left back. He's got all the attributes to succeed there.
Nope, that shouldn't happen. Ox ability around the box and his attacking nature makes him a far more viable asset to us in the wings or where he is currently playing. Besides part of the reason he left Arsenal was because he did not envision himself playing in the Wingback position. you put him in left back not only do you take away our x factor, your taking away goals he contributes to the team. He scores more goals than Gini or Henderson and therefore is probably our most lethal midfielder in that sense. There are tons of players who can play back already in the team, and if we believe so much in youth promotion, this is the area we should be focusing on for the back up left back position. There is no need to castrate ourselves offensively.

iftikhar

Doesn't it bother you that we look totally different, in a bad way, if just one of the attacking trio is absent???

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
3 more points added, no goals against, and done with a team that have already achieved what they wanted to do at the start of the season.
I just hope they are/can enjoying playing games because when next season starts I want them to try and better what they have accomplished up to now. I know it’s difficult for us to control our emotions and what we expect//want from our team, but we always have to remember that they are humans, too.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Doesn't it bother you that we look totally different, in a bad way, if just one of the attacking trio is absent???
I’m not sure we do. There have been many games this season in which we look average, but find a way to win.

Meanwhile, Man City - who play wonderful football, and have depth to burn - are 23 point away from us.

jim bouki

Nope, that shouldn't happen. Ox ability around the box and his attacking nature makes him a far more viable asset to us in the wings or where he is currently playing. Besides part of the reason he left Arsenal was because he did not envision himself playing in the Wingback position. you put him in left back not only do you take away our x factor, your taking away goals he contributes to the team. He scores more goals than Gini or Henderson and therefore is probably our most lethal midfielder in that sense. There are tons of players who can play back already in the team, and if we believe so much in youth promotion, this is the area we should be focusing on for the back up left back position. There is no need to castrate ourselves offensively.
I don't think he should become a mainstay at LB, i just think if there's 2 or 3 games a season where it's required that we drop a MF in there, why not him, he's not our first choice midfield anyway, of the 3 positions he's probably 5th in the pecking order behind keita atm. Considering the drop off when robbo doesn't play i'd say there'd be more benefit than not of having someone with his pace, crossing and tackling ability there than someone always inclined to cut inside and play safe when that's not how our team creates chances. Just because he wants to play central doesn't mean that's his best position, his last couple of coaches seem to have thought the same thing....

RodM

I was curious as to whether any of the current Liverpool team played alongside Pepe Reina when he was with us. It turns out that Henderson was the only one which goes back to a game in May 2013.

Reina's first game at Anfield was actually in April 2001 whilst playing for Barcelona (Gary McAllister scored the winning goal). Neco Williams was 6 days old at the time and Curtis Jones, who scored against Reina last night, would have been a little over 2 months old.

I know that's Motson levels of useless trivia but that's a remarkable time playing at the top, even for a keeper.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
We put 5 past Everton and 4 past Barcelona with Origi in the team. There's a drop-off when one of the usual front three isn't playing but it's not the sole reason of average showings. If the midfield isn't doing its job or the defence is a sieve, it's that much more difficult for the entire team to perform at the required level. On the contrary, when everyone is switched on and doing what he's supposed to, the team can still produce great football even when someone from the front three is missing as the aforementioned games with Barcelona and Everton attest.
People just get too hung up on individuals.

Last edited:

[email protected]

City lose again! That’s now NINE league defeats!! So does the conspiracy against them continue AFTER we’ve won the league then?
What conspiracy? I wouldn't try contacting John and Linda next week though. Or any of the owners and directors of our cartel. They'll be too busy celebrating in a secret bunker in the Alps.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I don't think he should become a mainstay at LB, i just think if there's 2 or 3 games a season where it's required that we drop a MF in there, why not him, he's not our first choice midfield anyway, of the 3 positions he's probably 5th in the pecking order behind keita atm. Considering the drop off when robbo doesn't play i'd say there'd be more benefit than not of having someone with his pace, crossing and tackling ability there than someone always inclined to cut inside and play safe when that's not how our team creates chances. Just because he wants to play central doesn't mean that's his best position, his last couple of coaches seem to have thought the same thing....
I would prefer to see Neco Wiliams worked on to provide cover for Robbo. His all round skill set suggests he is well capable of playing that role.

nikz200

If Klopp does that and the player agrees to it then fine, but again with Ox especially he has benefitted us in and around the box where usually midfielders like Henderson, Keita and Gini don't have that outside shooting, Ox has been able to somewhat provide even if its a minimal rate for it at that particular area of the pitch. I don't think Ox can give us that same level of crossing and supply Robertson provides the team and that we know milner can do on occasion.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Divock Origi is the reason that we need to spend this summer. The drop off to our forward play when he's in the team is just too great. His inconsistency is a big problem as well as his limited ability. He's scored some incredibly importanr goals for us in his time here, absolutely no question of that, but we really do need a higher quality fourth forward option. Werner would have been ideal.........oh well.

We got a positive result last night which is all that really matters at this stage - we still have a good chance of beating the points record. Onward and upward.

jaffod

On a side note......
Mo Salah man handled to the ground. No pen.
Gomez on Sterling, penalty.
And VAR favours Liverpool?
Nailed on pen for handball not given in the Palace game too.

Imo this season has vindicated what many of us have said about referees shafting us with great regularity. First season with VAR and we are 23 points clear with 5 games left. That's not to take anything away from how brilliant this team has been of course.
Dickhead bitters and mancs can bang on about LiVARpool as much as they want but the facts don't back up their deluded argument. If anything we've still been on the receiving end of bad decisions, Villa away was a disgrace, Man U away cost us points, Bobby's disallowed goal v Man U at Anfield, a couple of clear pens not given.
Myself and others have thought for years we would benefit massively from the implementation of VAR, referees have to stay honest (Atkinson aside) and that's exactly how it's played out this season.

[email protected]

Nailed on pen for handball not given in the Palace game too.

Imo this season has vindicated what many of us have said about referees shafting us with great regularity. First season with VAR and we are 23 points clear with 5 games left. That's not to take anything away from how brilliant this team has been of course.
Dickhead bitters and mancs can bang on about LiVARpool as much as they want but the facts don't back up their deluded argument. If anything we've still been on the receiving end of bad decisions, Villa away was a disgrace, Man U away cost us points, Bobby's disallowed goal v Man U at Anfield, a couple of clear pens not given.
Myself and others have thought for years we would benefit massively from the implementation of VAR, referees have to stay honest (Atkinson aside) and that's exactly how it's played out this season.
United would not have 20 titles now had VAR been in play. They were the beneficiaries of shocking decisions not just in their games but in those of their rivals as well helping keep them at bay. VAR cocks up too but the sheer blatant nature of decision making in favour of them would have been too clear to continue with had the system been used.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
United would not have 20 titles now had VAR been in play. They were the beneficiaries of shocking decisions not just in their games but in those of their rivals as well helping keep them at bay.
I’ve been saying that for years but, apparently, holding this view makes you a conspiracy theorist.

If only we had a thread to discuss such matters...

iftikhar

I’m not sure we do. There have been many games this season in which we look average, but find a way to win.

Meanwhile, Man City - who play wonderful football, and have depth to burn - are 23 point away from us.
I'm not arsed about City or any other teams.

Fact is we struggle if one of Mane, Firmino or Salah is missing. It's like we have just one plan based on one set of players.

NaturalNine

TIA New Signing
I'm not arsed about City or any other teams.

Fact is we struggle if one of Mane, Firmino or Salah is missing. It's like we have just one plan based on one set of players.
I see where you are coming from but I think this is giving too little credit to our opponents. We're not the only ones with a gameplan - our opponents have had countless, unlimited hours studying our games and coming up with a counter-plan. Adding that to the fact that we've already clinched the title, and it's not too surprising that our attacks have looked a little flat since the restart.

I think we also had the 'holy trinity' against ManC and that fell flat too. I think all this just boils down to having a bad game once in a while. It says a lot about our team nowadays when we are worrying about a 2-0 win that we were never in danger of losing - not that that's a bad thing!