• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Watford (EPL 14/12/19 12.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 69 53.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Gomez

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Wijnaldum [off 60’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [off 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mane

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • Firmino [off 88’]

• Salah [GOAL 38’, GOAL 90’]

Votes: 98 75.4%
  • Robertson [on 60’]

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 70’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 88’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
The sort of game that used to be a banana skin in the past. Tricky team with a new manager, playing 4-2-3-1 and a few squad players playing. But I think the result was never in danger and with two exceptional Salah goals we took the points. I think Henderson was woeful. Manes (not) goal was classy - 10 point gap as I write. To tell the truth, I keep thinking Im going to wake up in September and it was all a dream. For those fans too young to remember Liverpool winning the title- THIS is what it used to be like !

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
3 clean sheets in a row and just seen the Leicester result... feeling an air of inevitability now. The wait for number 19 is nearly over...
It's great to be on top of the league before we start the second part of the season. It's a big bonus. (y)

But let's be careful. One single bad month with a few defeats in a row, and everything will be lost. I might repeat myself, but let's not count our chickens until they are hatched.

RedYank

From a cold windy kop:

Don’t like early starts. Nor does Jurgen.

Cardinal mistake. Left my scarf.

Dropped some bags of food at the foodbank on Anny Rd.

Popped into club store. Warm inside. How long can we browse?

On to the kop bar. Coffee rather than a beer. But then did have a beer.

And onto our seat. Hot dog. Really hot one.

Get the picture. It’s cold.

Windy anfield makes footy difficult. It was tough in the stand, tougher on the pitch.

Tough watch. But 3 points. Another var controversy. They don’t explain why the goal was disallowed.

So we are now 17 points clear of Man City who are 17 points off relegation. And they are 3rd.

Jurgen - what are you doing to us, to our club?
Salute you sir.

Out of words.
Would trade places with you anytime, mate. Always like your post-match takes...even more than @Alright Now 's weekly health and travel status. :ROFLMAO:

Falcon51

It's great to be on top of the league before we start the second part of the season. It's a big bonus. (y)

But let's be careful. One single bad month with a few defeats in a row, and everything will be lost. I might repeat myself, but let's not count our chickens until they are hatched.
I agree completely about them Chickens, but, it does feel great having a 10 point lead at this point in the season regardless! Being this is only my second year of being a football and LFC Fan, I’m feeling like I’m seeing something special starting to take place that continued from last years European championship win! All we can do is continue to support this awesome team no matter what!

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team

Oh don't get me wrong, I know we're not even half way but I think people are getting too nervous based off previous Liverpool sides giving up decent leads. The team this year is just much more resilient IMO. I understand the nervousness and but I'm feeling less and less of it as our closest rivals just keep dropping points every week. If it was City or Ferguson's United in our position, this season's title race would be considered a procession.

But I guess you're right... I'm not officially celebrating till Henderson is lifting the trophy. :)

MarcusBerglund

Huge 3 points, but too manu negatives from today.

Another injury to a very important player - Wijnaldum and it does not look good /at least according to Klopp/. Matip is nowhere near to starting full training /never mind playing matches/. Bad news for Fabinho too - Paul Gorst tweeted: “Fabinho just hobbled through the Anfield mixed zone on crutches with his foot in a massive protective boot. “Said it was getting better but that looks like a long way off, unfortunately.”
Lovren will be missing for several weeks too.

We have exactly four fit defenders - VvD, Gomez, TAA and Robbo. Joe is injury prone and Andy is playing with ankle problems for alomst 2 months. No real backup for our defence. Milner had huge problems with Sarr and we are lucky that thte Senegalese was unable to finish several perfect stuations. Once Robbo came in and Minler started in central midfeidl we lookked miles better defensively. Even Clyne is injured and he could be a decent option for rotation of Trent and Andy.

And at the moment we have one fit avalable defensive midfielder in the squad - Hendo. Hopefully more players like Keita are ready to step up, but my main concern is the defence. One more injury there and we will have huge problems /next 7 games in the space of 35 days are Leicester away, Wolves at home, Sheffield United at home, Everton at home, Spurs away, Manure at home and Wolves away/. all games against solid teams in a very good shape and form. Opponents which like to play counter attacking football and are ready to punish the smallest mistake. We will need our best players for those matches, but at least 4 of them will be missing.

We need to sign cover for our fullbacks asap. I wrote so many times that the sqaud look good on paper, but every fuckin year in November, December and January we always struggle with injuries and losing Moreno /free transfer/ and Clyne /long term injury did not help much. Obviously Klopp does not trust Ki and van den Berg for the PL and CL matches and Milner at the moment is more needed in central midfeidl, while he also struggle, playing as a full back.

Firmino's form during the last 4-5 matches is also a cause of concern /BHA, Everton, Bournemouth, RB Salzburg, Watford in all those matches he was far away from his best. Only four goals in 17 games, 15 from them were starts. Origi has scored 3 goals in the lague from 4 starts/. Bobby loooks tired and his first touch today remninded me more of Andy Carroll than a fine brazilian maestro. Twice Salah played him through with fantastic passes, but Firmino's heavy touch betrayed him. And in the 73rd minute Robbo gave him the ball on a plate, but he lost too mach time than usual and was blocked.

At least there were positives. Alisson in a very solid form. He was great in midweek and fantastic today, stopping Delofeu and Sarr several times.
Gomez - solid and strong in the air /one little mistake in the end almost led to a comic own goal by VvD and from the corner Delofeu hit the woodwork, but as a whole Joe was solid and dependable/.

Salah - looking good too, after that awful foul by that ugly prick Choudhury. Scored too goals, combined well with his teammates, kept the ball wel and is a real nightmare for Watford eince his signing /as far as I remeber, he scored in his debut exactly against them in a thrilling 3-3 draw/.

Hendo and Millie in central midfield look fine for me. Doing their job without much fuss. We are missing Fabinho and Wijnaldum and that will be a huge problem for every team, losing two top players in midfield.

Mane was good today too, but his game improved massively after the introduction of Robertson. His understanding with Milner is not that good. Scored a beauty, but sadly was slightly in offside.

Origi - deserves a start. Staying on the bench for so long, then playing a perfect match vs. Everton and then again on the bench against Bournemouth and Salzburg. Today he played for 6-7 minutes and had an assist /lucky, but still that will count/.

I'd like to see more of Neco Williams in Doha, not a bad time to test the young Welshman and our full backs weill need a rest.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Not sure what to make of Shaq on that performance. Was largely anonymous, but I could not figure out whether it was because he wasnt offering anything or simply because so much of the play was going to Mane on the other side. Still, when given the opportunity he put in an absolutely superb delivery for the disallowed Mane goal.
I thought that Shaq did okay in the game. Felt strange that even though he was a stocky guy, he got knocked off from the ball several times while fighting for it in a phone booth with a few Watford players.

alaskared

Kloppite
Professional performance, nothing too exciting. Saving the snazzy stuff for Club World Cup.
Salah and Watford go together like Suarez and Norwich, hence my easy prediction from the pre match thread. Gini loss is concerning for sure and Bobby looks like he needs a holiday or did he just have a kid or something? Something not quite right with him at the moment, still a great player just not at his best.
I thought Hendo provided plenty of forward momentum today, even if he skyed a few shots. Gomez improving quickly.
I thought the mood was quiet today, not sure if that was weather/election related or just that @Commando was on holiday if I recall correctly from pre match thread.
3 points again. Onward.

Limiescouse

I get the sentiment, but give up a lead of this size it would take a run of form as bad as we've ever had under Klopp, and even then would require a level of consistency from either Leicester or City that just doesnt seem reasonable.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Hard work today. It was freezing cold and I don't know if JK has mentioned the wind but it was definitely a factor. It wasn't just the balls in the air. The players had trouble working out how quickly the ball was coming towards them which accounted for all the miscontrolling, miskicks and heavy touches. Below par is about the kindest way you could describe the performance but I was never really worried. Just a bit frustrated that we couldn't get going. I thought it was the sort of game where if Watford scored we'd just step it up. Had Mane's goal stood I'm sure we'd have romped it.

Salah is really on it at the moment. Not just scoring goals but looking a real handful. Alisson came to our rescue on a couple of occasions but we closed things down pretty well for the last half hour or so. It was one of those games where the result was everything. Not a day for fancy football.

Gini's injury is a real blow. Fabinho is still wearing a protective boot apparently so he's miles off coming back. Defensively we are starting to look stretched. Milner does a job at left back but the drop off offensively from Robbo to him is a big one. It will be interesting to see how JK approaches the Club World Cup as we can't afford any more injuries, but at least we'll be playing in warmer weather.

Nur der BvB09

Eye-popping that Henderson has the edge in terms of winning percentage at a very sexy 59% (Hyypiä=54%; Carragher=52%; Gerrard=51%)
The scariest of all is he finds himself in a upward trajectory now. Our Skipper leading by example and number 19 is becoming more of a reality now. Finger crossed they stay fit and firing like until now.COYR
p.s. our out of fight list is becoming longer then i d like to. Defensively and now in the middle of the park we look short.:(