• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Watford (EPL 14/12/19 12.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 69 53.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Gomez

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Milner

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Wijnaldum [off 60’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [off 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mane

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • Firmino [off 88’]

• Salah [GOAL 38’, GOAL 90’]

Votes: 98 75.4%
  • Robertson [on 60’]

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 70’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 88’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Redopium

We made hard work of it today but got there in the end, Alisson made a couple of good saves early on, far too open in midfield, I think Shaqiri and Firmino subs should have been much earlier, great to see Mo back on form, hopefully Gini injury is not serious onwards and upwards. :p

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Not a great game,but we did enough to win,and with our crowded schedule that is fine.
The injury to Gini is a blow,don't need any more,thanks.
Alisson MOTM for me seemingly back to his impervious best and at the right time.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
I’ve just seen the Mané disallowed goal on TV and for me it’s not offside. I was at the game and I’m sorry, but I just don’t like VAR, it’s sucking the life out of the game. It’s getting so you can’t celebrate a goal anymore because you immediately think it will go to VAR and be disallowed. The players, the fans, everybody celebrated what looked like a fantastic headed goal by Mane, for it to be then ruled offside after a VAR check, because his dick was hanging out of his shorts!!
The 2nd goal was the same, Salah scores, we all celebrate, but no we have to wait while someone who‘s the other end of the country takes a fuckin age to make his mind up if it’s a goal or not. VAR is shite!! It causes more controversy than before we had it. I’d prefer to go back to the way it was before VAR and argue about the refs decisions after the game.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
The technology is there but I do not think that it is being implemented, now or in the near future. They will need high speed and high resolution camera, automate the processes and let the programming / AI to perform the offside decisions, removing the human errors (if FA decides to keep the human in the loop, they might as well remove VAR for offside decisions). However, all these take money and desire to deploy the system properly.

Like you have pointed out, a loose fitting shirt or pair of shorts (or hang loose body parts :LOL: ) could skew the decision. Are we going to see tight fitting spandex kits so that we further eliminate those millimetre offside? It is getting ridiculous and taking away the joy and spirit of the game.

(Maybe this post should go to the VAR thread.)

Rooster

What a hit son
I was reading some players ratings on espnfc and they gave Becker a 6 and Bobby a 7.

Now I had a couple of lovely Aussie Shiraz (11.30pm Ko here) but what was that reviewer watching!

In fact we were rubbish. So here is a side unbeaten at home for ages against the bottom side and our GK was forced into immense action and Watford fluffed sitters.

But that's the stuff of winners and Champions. A couple of magic moments. Get it done and that we did.

Only thing stopping us is a big injury to say VVD or Mane. Klopp might have to head to the transfer market for a defender. On we go this week to pick up a trophy.

RedinAsia

Gave my MOM to Mo who has thankfully found his shooting boots again. Becker was in good form and had to be because we gave them far too much space. It's becoming a regular feature that opponents attack our right defensive flank and Trent causes this by standing too far from his opposing player. IMO he's no better a defender than Moreno was, but is far better moving forward in possession and delivers pinpoint crosses.
Firmino is shadow of his former self and Origi should be given more starts.
Norwich and Bournmouth did us big favors yesterday and we've now got a 10 point lead with a healthy GD. Onward and upwards even if it's not always pretty! YNWA

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
It was like a day that i go into work - not with a total hangover - but definitely subpar
And all i have to do is get through the day and not screw up
And instead I almost hit the “self destruct’ button on the computer a couple of times
The pass back from VVD had me reaching for the defribulator
I was sure when the match started we were going to trounce them
But it was so different and Watford didnt roll over
What a great couple of goals from Mo
Mane continues to be remarkable
This team continues to be resilient and at times perplexing but still beautiful beyond compare
(Yes, I’ve had a couple)

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Thank God for this so called fifa club world cup bullshit. Our players can take it easy for 10-12 days and rest up, while other teams continue the crazy schedule. Klopp will rotate heavily for this one. Dont give a fuck how we do in Qatar. Jus get healthy is all im after
Our track record after trips to the Middle East has not been stellar
This club World Cup thing...sheesh....its only a $5 million purse?

RedLar

I was reading some players ratings on espnfc and they gave Becker a 6 and Bobby a 7.

Now I had a couple of lovely Aussie Shiraz (11.30pm Ko here) but what was that reviewer watching!

In fact we were rubbish. So here is a side unbeaten at home for ages against the bottom side and our GK was forced into immense action and Watford fluffed sitters.

But that's the stuff of winners and Champions. A couple of magic moments. Get it done and that we did.

Only thing stopping us is a big injury to say VVD or Mane. Klopp might have to head to the transfer market for a defender. On we go this week to pick up a trophy.
saw that too. they gave mo a 9? he got 2 but his game was far from a 9. terrible ratings all round, espn is so shyte,

RedLar

Teams all seem to treat games against us, particularly at Anfield, as their cup finals for the season. I reckon it's a combination of the stonking atmosphere in the ground and their thinking that a win against us would be the making of their season, bless em.

Even an honouable defeat against LFC for some opposition players would probably be the highlight of their careers. They know that there's a 99% chance they are going to end up on the losing side so they give it a right go. Well good luck to them as they certainly need it.
stonking..... more stinking today. very low key at anfield i felt. game never helped it much.

RedLar

recall not so very long ago thinking if we got in the top 4 (Cl footy) it would make it a decent season.

Today we are 24 points out of 5th place. 8 defeats to drop out of top 4. season not half over yet. incredible really.

City 17 out of first, and 17 from the bottom 3. we are really pissing it.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I’ve just seen the Mané disallowed goal on TV and for me it’s not offside. I was at the game and I’m sorry, but I just don’t like VAR, it’s sucking the life out of the game. It’s getting so you can’t celebrate a goal anymore because you immediately think it will go to VAR and be disallowed. The players, the fans, everybody celebrated what looked like a fantastic headed goal by Mane, for it to be then ruled offside after a VAR check, because his dick was hanging out of his shorts!!
The 2nd goal was the same, Salah scores, we all celebrate, but no we have to wait while someone who‘s the other end of the country takes a fuckin age to make his mind up if it’s a goal or not. VAR is shite!! It causes more controversy than before we had it. I’d prefer to go back to the way it was before VAR and argue about the refs decisions after the game.
On the flip side If Bournemouth stay up by 2 points then VAR has done its job because their goal was chalked off, I think it needs to be a thicker line thus making it similar to Umpires decision in Cricket but some teams are financially ruined because of some calls in the last few years.

Steve_LFC

Thank God for this so called fifa club world cup bullshit. Our players can take it easy for 10-12 days and rest up, while other teams continue the crazy schedule. Klopp will rotate heavily for this one. Dont give a fuck how we do in Qatar. Jus get healthy is all im after
Agree with hopefully getting healthy... But since we are going to be there already. I would like to win it... Add another trophy to our collection.

jaffod

The 3 points are all that matters and this team keeps finding a way to win them even when not playing great.

Watford gave it a good go and on that form are in a false position. But it was a horrible game to watch, not helped by the early KO and the weather.

Great play by the front 3 for the 1st goal. Bobby's pass was sublime and so was Mo's finish.

Allison with a couple of big saves again and at last a clean sheet at Anfield.

Bobby really is struggling atm despite his contribution for the goal. Should have buried that chance in the 2nd half and he's giving up possession far too easily. Hopefully JK will rest him on Wednesday along with VVD and a few others.

Worried about Gini, we're losing too many players and it's limiting our opportunities to rotate.

Great result at Leicester and I feel Arsenal can get something against Abu Dhabi if they can defend better than they have been, can see Arsenal getting a couple of goals.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Why were they running an offside VAR on Mo's 2nd goal when there was a Watford player on the floor, next to the goal line?

Bexause the keeper was about level with Mo. Ther has to be two defenders between the attacker and the goal line. The guy on the floor was clearly one and it was close for a second one.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Agree with hopefully getting healthy... But since we are going to be there already. I would like to win it... Add another trophy to our collection.

Agree. No point in being in it if we do not care about winning it. Might just as well go for the Carabao cup. It would be nice to be World club champions but I am sure t will not be easy. I understand all games are being played on the same pitch and it is raining there so conditions could be pretty awful.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Why were they running an offside VAR on Mo's 2nd goal when there was a Watford player on the floor, next to the goal line?
Yesterday, I thought the same as you. However I've watched the incident again and I mistakenly thought that the goalie was the second last defender - he wasn't. Foster was (marginally) farther away from the goal line than Kabasele, so Kabasele is the second last defender, hence the VAR lines being set against him.

RodM

Is part of the problem not the offside rule? I put this in the pre-match thread - has anyone ever scored with their armpit?

If the offside rule was determined by the position of the feet it would be easy to have a chip in the stud of each player and one in the ball. Offside could be determined electronically and immediately.

I'm still in favour of VAR but it needs to be applied consistently. At the moment it appears to vary each week depending on what the last controversy was.