Post match: Liverpool v Watford (EPL 27/2/2019 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 86 51.2%
  • Matip

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 80’, GOAL 82’]

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Milner [off 69’]

• Wijnaldum [off 84’]

• Salah

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Origi [GOAL 66’]

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Mane [GOAL 9’, GOAL 20’, off 77’]

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Henderson [on 69’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lallana [on 77’]

• Keita [on 84’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
watford is a system and man utd is another system so when liverpool suffered against man utd it means you need to change the system for example try 433 if it fail try 4231 another fail try 442 so it is a clash of systems formations style play !
Am I to understand that it's all about systems? :think:

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Why? Can someone please explain to me? It's been troubling me all day.

We play like we played last night and cruise to a 5-0 victory. It was a joy to watch; so many contenders for man of the match - VVD, Trent, Fab, Mané, take your pick. Beautiful football, truly sublime at times. We were simply unstoppable and we swept Watford away. They didn't get a look in despite being on a high, having beaten Cardiff 5 - 1 in their previous match.

So how come we were so (comparatively) poor against manure? I don't believe that it is simply down to the presence of TAA, albeit he was a genuine contender for man of the match with his hat trick of assists.

Can anyone explain how / why it was so different?

Not that I'm complaining; I'll take that sort of result every day of the week and twice on Sundays, which just so happens to be when we face the blueshite.

No doubt they (the blueshite) will fancy their chances, being on a high, having beaten Cardiff 3 - 0 in their previous match.

Didn't do the previous team to beat Cardiff much good though, did it. :think:

So, come on you Redmen. We go again.
For me, the difference was a midfield without Henderson.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
For me, the difference was a midfield without Henderson.

the biggest difference was TAA at RB. Milner was an extreme weakness for the entire team at RB against United. if you notice salah had a bad game against Man U.. part of that reason was because of Milner playing behind him which struggled to even complete a pass that match. TAA behind Salah made most significant impact just on him alone not to mention the entire team... but then other reasons are we are at home vs playing at OT and what klopp and some of the players like Gini stated of the injuries / stoppages of the first half against united totally got the team out of rhythm.. there is so much truth to that. when players stop like that in the middle of the match that many times it will always be difficult. most casuals would think we should of had a big advantage with 3 of their players going down but it actually was a disadvantage to us that game for a couple of different reasons.. first is because of that they changed their tactics and began to sit back after that and also the stoppages of play just took us out of any sort of rhythm.

Last edited:

Alright Now

the biggest difference was TAA at RB. Milner was an extreme weakness for the entire team at RB against United. if you notice salah had a bad game against Man U.. part of that reason was because of Milner playing behind him which struggled to even complete a pass that match. TAA behind Salah made most significant impact just on him alone not to mention the entire team... but then other reasons are we are at home vs playing at OT and what klopp and some of the players like Gini stated of the injuries / stoppages of the first half against united totally got the team out of rhythm.. there is so much truth to that. when players stop like that in the middle of the match that many times it will always be difficult. most casuals would think we should of had a big advantage with 3 of their players going down but it actually was a disadvantage to us that game for a couple of different reasons.. first is because of that they changed their tactics and began to sit back after that and also the stoppages of play just took us out of any sort of rhythm.
Agree. I don’t think this was a Hendo issue. Hendo just had a super performance against Bayern and one of the relatively better ones against the Mancs.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
still not seen the whole game so can't vote.... anyone know a good site for full game replays, the ones I have tried just have highlights! :unhappy::unhappy::unhappy:

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Great performance, but Watford were horrible. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, as we'll immediately be dragged down to the lowest level possible of competition vs the Bitters.

Hopefully we'll get start to put some good back to back wins.

Libero

still not seen the whole game so can't vote.... anyone know a good site for full game replays, the ones I have tried just have highlights! :unhappy::unhappy::unhappy:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team

We play like we played last night and cruise to a 5-0 victory. It was a joy to watch; so many contenders for man of the match - VVD, Trent, Fab, Mané, take your pick. Beautiful football, truly sublime at times. We were simply unstoppable and we swept Watford away. They didn't get a look in despite being on a high, having beaten Cardiff 5 - 1 in their previous match.

So how come we were so (comparatively) poor against manure? I don't believe that it is simply down to the presence of TAA, albeit he was a genuine contender for man of the match with his hat trick of assists.

Not that I'm complaining; I'll take that sort of result every day of the week and twice on Sundays, which just so happens to be when we face the blueshite.

No doubt they (the blueshite) will fancy their chances, being on a high, having beaten Cardiff 3 - 0 in their previous match.

I think it was down to a few things. I reckon the mindset going into Utd was that we must not lose. Defeat there would have been a disaster and JK would have been aware of that and urged caution. We certainly played like a team that didn't want to over-commit. JK's frustration would have come from us not being able to step it up when Utd were decimated by injuries. We just couldn't get going and he has to accept some of the responsibility for that with the Sturridge substitution.

The other major factor is a less palatable one and it's that so many of our players just don't fancy it at Old Trafford or at least get over-anxious and try too hard to impress. It's an intimidating place to go and was especially so on Sunday. How else to explain Salah's performance or Mane's compared with what we saw on Wednesday. It was the same story last season. At least a draw is an improvement on last season's result and at the end of this season may well turn out to have been a crucial point won.

RedForever2014

We were away, United were at home, United are better than Watford, United are always up for it against us, especially as they're desperate for us not to win the league.

We have improved against the better sides this season, but still aren't winning enough away from home against them. We've won once in ten away PL matches against City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs over the past two seasons.

Considered in combination with the away defeats in the Champions League, it seems we either have a mental hurdle to overcome in away matches against better sides, or the Anfield factor is distorting our home results against better sides to some extent.

That said, team selection decisions have an influence. Our side was different on Wed - TAA at right back, Milner in midfield (more creative and dynamic than Henderson), a pacy player at 9. Also, when Bobby went off Sturridge came, a player who did nothing. From his Watford showing, Origi would have been the better option, if for no other reason than his energy and mobility.

It's tough to find the right midfield and attacking blend, as each player offers something. But the fluidity doesn't seem there with Hendo in the side, and to some extent Bobby too in recent weeks.

Thankfully the PL away matches against top sides are now done for the season, although Everton away will be a huge similar type of test.

The 10 remaining matches are a good mix of hurdles to overcome.

Wednesday was the perfect warm up, but tougher challenges than a good but open side, on a warm evening, lie ahead.

Flobs

FADA
Manure where a lot more physical than Watford. We tend to struggle against physicality.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I think it was down to a few things. I reckon the mindset going into Utd was that we must not lose. Defeat there would have been a disaster and JK would have been aware of that and urged caution. We certainly played like a team that didn't want to over-commit. JK's frustration would have come from us not being able to step it up when Utd were decimated by injuries. We just couldn't get going and he has to accept some of the responsibility for that with the Sturridge substitution.
That said, team selection decisions have an influence. Our side was different on Wed - TAA at right back, Milner in midfield (more creative and dynamic than Henderson), a pacy player at 9. Also, when Bobby went off Sturridge came, a player who did nothing. From his Watford showing, Origi would have been the better option, if for no other reason than his energy and mobility.
Watching the first half again, the effect of the Sturridge substitution was more obvious than when I saw it live. There was no ball pressure on the central defence, there was always a simple pass into midfield available, so effectively any pressing was initiating about 15 yards further up the pitch. In possession, we became horribly unbalanced to the right, with Salah effectively double-teamed most of the time as Sturridge flared out wide. With Sturridge on, we spent a shocking amount of time in possession with a very confined triangle of Salah forward, Sturridge back about 7-8 yards and on the sideline, and Milner deep, too flat to really be a useful passing triangle. The ball would work inward to a midfielder instead, who would have three options, all three usually easy, but completely unthreatening. If that mid turned toward the ManU goal though, there was nothing forward, just two completely relaxed central defenders. Eventually Mane started coming over into that area in sheer desperation.

Last edited:

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
We have improved against the better sides this season, but still aren't winning enough away from home against them. We've won once in ten away PL matches against City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs over the past two seasons.
They have, collectively, beaten us zero times at Anfield in that same period (Chelsea and Tottenham still to play).

On a ppg basis we do better away against the top sides than they do away to us (0.5 vs. 0.7).

Just saying.