• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v West Ham (EPL 24/2/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 80 62.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 9’]

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Keita [off 57’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mane [GOAL 81’, off 90+1’]

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Firmino

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Salah [GOAL 68’]

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 57’]

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Matip [on 90+1’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Never in doubt.

No team had ever beaten a side 52 points ahead of them in the Premier League and West Ham had only taken 10 points from the last 99 available at Anfield. And the less said about David Moyes’ record at Anfield, the better.

So it was obviously no surprise whatsoever to see a West Ham side who didn’t even try at the Emptihad in their last game ramp it up 1000% against us. Why do opposition sides not even bother against Mancheater City but play as though their lives depend upon it at Anfield?

Gini’s early header from Alexander-Arnold’s delivery looked like it was going to open the floodgates but West Ham, to their enormous credit, didn’t allow their heads to drop and actually had the temerity to equalise in front of the Kop, with Gomez arguably at fault for not getting in front of Diop.

Gomez was uncharacteristically sloppy throughout the first period and, to be honest, nobody covered themselves in glory before the break, with the whole team looking flat and complacent.

Our defence was, indeed, sloppy throughout- I can’t remember any game where we have conceded so many clear-cut chances at home. We would have been punished by a more clinical team.

We all expected Klopp to give the boys the Haartrockner treatment at half time but, if anything, we looked even worse in the first twenty minutes of the second half. Fortunately, Fabianski was feeling generous enough to gift Mo the equaliser; Mané showed great determination to get on the end of Trent’s hook-back to make it 3-2, possibly against the run of play.

MOTM: My mate Michael, a big West Ham fan. He was taking the piss from the moment they equalised all the way through to Sadio’s goal. Still, he has accepted the defeat with good grace.

Incognito

The Normal One
Vital win needed after the Atletico game and got it the hard way. Credits to West ham, they gave us the game but that was a lead taken too early for them. Waves off attack since the 60 minute mark. Okay performance but 3 points all that matters, as it has been always at the end.

We're gonna win the league! We're gonna win the league! :love:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We've been called lucky a lot this season, incorrectly, but tonight we were. A usually excellent keeper made 2 howlers and was poor on the other to let us score 3.

Trent and Robertson were easily our best players. Van Dijk did okay, so did Gini. Chamberlain bright off the bench.

Gomez maybe had his worst performance of the season tonight. Fabinho still looks off the pace. Front 3 were crap, particularly Salah who was a liability.

3 sloppy games in a row, thankfully we have 3 more games before Atletico because we still look like we're on holiday.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
YET AGAIN, our lads turn it around!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm lost for words, so I stop here for now.

My MoM: the Ox, who looked inch for inch a world class player when he came on, and transformed our whole game.

WELL DONE LADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
4 to go.. The important bit.. The good bit.. With our fullbacks in attack the only decent bit.

But fuck me, we were gash. Defence was woeful, no intensity from anyone till we got a lucky break with the Salah equaliser.

Why we ask for winter breaks when every single time we have one we come back sluggish and looking leggy - It happens everytime to be only a co-incidence. Needs a complete re-think.

Danny_

Good finish but we were sleep walking for parts of the game. I get the feeling that there is something going on with Mane - he looks unhappy or something. He wasn't his usual self today at all. Might be that he is still coming back from injury. Anyway, job done. Congrats to the lads. A step closer to the promised land! :)

NaturalNine

TIA New Signing
Wow, our team keeps finding new ways to win don't they.

Just as I thought the rollercoaster of emotions had disappeared lately, it came back in full force. We survived a rare offday from our Clean Sheet Machine, and an off-colour performance from our Spartan Goalkeeper (who did make a game-winning save at the end, wow) to make it out of Anfield with a much-needed win.

I never thought I'd ever say this but we missed Henderson in an offensive way. I felt that none of our front 3 had a good game, for varying reasons. Mane still looks a bit out of shape and Bobby looked half a step slow at times. Mo was full of running but made little headway, and made a few stray passes too.

Credit the enemy West Ham for a great performance. I thought their courage (especially when down 3-2) was amazing and I'd hate to see them go down. They played us straight up without any tricks or tomfoolery and that's more than can be said for many of our opponents this season.

MOTM for me goes to TAA, and possibly the Ox had he played the full match. We regained control and became much more penetrative after the Ox came on.

Only another 11 heart-stopping finals to go, paradise is within sight. YNWA!

big noyd

missed most of the first half trying to watch on choppy illegal streams, and their second goal cooking dinner

thought gomez was tremendous on the ball in the second, but apparently he was poor in the first half & having now seen the replay, at fault on the goal that put them ahead

i'm shocked every time the ball goes in our net. expected alisson to deal with it when they were in on him