• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v West Ham (EPL 24/2/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 80 62.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 9’]

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Keita [off 57’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mane [GOAL 81’, off 90+1’]

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Firmino

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Salah [GOAL 68’]

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 57’]

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Matip [on 90+1’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
Personal opinion, the lads are going to put in a few "just enough" performances over the next few to lull Atletico into a false sense of complacency, and then smash them and the Ev in quick succession to clinch the next round and the league respectively.

All part of Tricky Jurgen's Master Plan™.

Gazmaninaus

Just going off the topic for a second. I think Moyes is a useless twat. I want someone to smash his whining face. Other than that good luck to the Hammers. They’ll need it with him in charge.

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
Let's be honest, none of you - and I mean NONE of you - thought we were going to lose when we went down 1-2.

That's what we've become.

Anyways, we need 12 points over the next 11 matches. We can get that with the following records

4-0-7
3-3-5
2-6-3
1-9-1

But, as you know, none of this matters.

We are going to be champions.
TBH, when we went 2-1 down, i was slightly annoyed that we have to activate our plot armor again. It was more of an annoyance of "how dare you think you can score against us". Never in doubt. What a timeline we are living in.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Missed the first 2 goals. By the time I sat down at 25th minute, it felt that the game was in slow motion. Even with all the possessions, it felt that we were late to the balls (which we were not). Now that I watched the game later on, I have give WHU a lot of credits in counter-pressing us with a lot of aggression. Not only that, WHU did not completely parked the bus. They were also very dangerous with their set pieces. Must have been annoying for Ali with those WHU players interfering him to get to the balls. It was a nice game of football.

Re-watching the game, I don't think that our lads played that bad of a 1st half as indicated in the pre-match thread. Yes, there were several missed passes. Even Mane over hit a cross field pass. Nor I think Keita played poorly, unfortunately, I think that we want him to be exceptional. In the 10 minutes stretch of the 2nd half, you could actually see a goal against us was coming. Things had gotten very static until Ox came on, Ox literally changed the mood of the game for us.

3 picks:
1. Ali: Saved us from embarrassments several times. First half when Gomez lost the flight of the ball, he came out quickly to nullify the threat. That save with the face to keep our lead near the end of the game. However, I just don't understand why Ali hoofed the ball near the end of the match while we were only 1 goal up, instead of letting the boys worked the ball out from the back. I don't think our midfield had the height or size against WHU with headers. This is the 2nd EPL match that Ali did that.

2. Ox: Yes, played in the mid. He needs that space to run at the opponents. He presence injected mush needed creative energy to our attack. Whipped some tasty short corners or passes into the box. Intercepted a ball in the centre to stop WHU attack. It was his cross field pass to Robbo, then crossed to Mo for the very fortunate goal.

3. TAA: What a cross from TAA and that flying Dutchman Gini's header for the first goal. TAA whipped some other wicked balls into the box. Too bad that we could not capitalize those chances. Virg almost scored with a header from TAA corner. Right off the go in the 2nd half, TAA passed a beautiful ball to Bobby, but Se Senor skied it! Several powerful shots too.

Shout out to:
Robbo: Stringed some good passes with Keita or Bobby or Mane on the left. Picked out Mo beautifully for the lucky equaliser.
Also shout out to our front 3. They scrapped and crawled, did everything to win us the 3 points. Yes, it may be ugly, but goals are goals, a win is a win.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Yes totally correct. I was in the main stand (sitting on my hands in case I accidentally clapped) telling people all around me to be quiet so that I could hear The Kop singing. Some Main Stand Ultras tried to get a song going but I quickly shouted can them down. A few behind me joined in with one of the chants, which was OK because someone on The Kop had started it.

As to the game, well it took me back. You see I've been going the game for years and can still remember when players in shirts that were not Red scored a goal. It was quite nostalgic really. Is there any team in professional football that comes anywhere near the amount of assists from their FBs as we get? I know that Trent is second in the Prem behind KDB but Robbo has to be up there as well?

A bit off topic, but I'm not entirely sure/happy with Virgil as Captain. Hendo and Milly seem to love wearing the armband, but it seems that when Virgil wears it he loses his focus. BTW this is just my opinion. Don't slate me for it.
Interesting point,and possibly,feasible,but I would have hoped Virgil wouldn’t.
But that has happened to many players in many different sports.
Likewise the captaincy can make a player.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Unstoppable.

Seriously, I think Klopp will tear into some of our players tonight. No matter how good we are, a lack of concentration, a lack of discipline of covering your man etc, and you let in 2 goals.

Of course we are still damn the best side in the world, but the best side will also have to tweak some parts of the machine from time to time.

Incognito

The Normal One
Hendo looking pissed in the stands was also wonderful to watch. There's no one who wants it more and he looked like he wanted to get on the pitch to do something.

Also there build up to the first goal was so beautiful, some slick movement outside the box which Keita was an important part of. He still lacks the drive or it seems so from his body language which Ox brings. Needs more games to get in the groove.

PaulRoJo

League thirst since 1990? Temporarily quenched!
Worried about Keita. Loved when we signed him and still think he has the ability to be a key player but he seems to be always in the wrong spot to receive the ball. Ridiculous but it's almost like he's hiding from the ball at times and when does make a run he rarely seems to be passed the ball. I know he's been injured etc but he's been here ~20 months now so should have a better link up and understanding of patterns etc?! Really like to see him playing further forward when his ability to turn and drive forward looking up can be devastating. Coming deep to get the ball he was often an unnecessary extra man and perhaps as another poster said he needs to play with Hendo rather than Gini ? Don't know if he's injured/sick as he seemed to be jogging aimlessly (like origi used to do) but if he's to have a future in a mid 3 that has to change. Hopefully it will as he has some great attributes (at his best I prefer him to Ox); otherwise he won't be here in 18 months..

Sweeting

I don't even think we played that badly to be honest. We should have defended better obviously but in general we were dominant, created loads of chances.

I find the praise of West Ham to be entirely result based. On another day that could easily have been 5-0 to Liverpool and West Ham would be being talked about as doomed to relegation.

They scored two fairly difficult chances and we missed some good ones (Firmino on the goal line, Van Dijk header, Mane offside for no good reason, a few good saves by Fabianski).

I just think it is interesting how narratives are built.

Anyway, I think our performances will be a bit nervy until we have the league sown up. It is very close now and the lads have had a couple of weeks off to think about that. Everyone tightens up at the finish line.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
I've (almost lost count as it's been so fucking long) said it 25 times and I'll say it YET-A-FUCKING-GAIN:

Back to where we were around March (2019). Win every game from here and we'll win this FUCKING SHINY SPIKY RED RIBBONED CUNT.

alaskared

Kloppite
TAA MOTM, which is great because he wasn't so good in Madrid.
Keita looks a little lost, is it language barrier? Glad the sub was made as Ox looked up for it. Players all looking a little off the pace but really proud of the way they kept at it.
We are so much better with Hendo on the pitch. I hope he is back fit for Crystal Palace and we win the 3 games before then.........

Anfield seemed anxious and quiet first half...WTF? we are miles ahead at the top of the table, surely relaxed and singing should be the mood. No? Glad they turned it up in the second half. Onward.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Personal opinion, the lads are going to put in a few "just enough" performances over the next few to lull Atletico into a false sense of complacency, and then smash them and the Ev in quick succession to clinch the next round and the league respectively.

All part of Tricky Jurgen's Master Plan™.
I hope you are right but these matches are not good for my heart.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Dug deep.

Another poor performance by nabby. Just dont think hell ever do it here. If he cant dominate Mark noble then who will he win his battles against.
The game was made for him taking the game and dominating it but he disappeared. Ox showed him how to do it. Thought he was excellent when he came on.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
(...)

As other have mentioned, really sick of other teams making such a huge effort at Anfield, and then bending over suggestively at the empty place. Maybe the echo's confuse them?
Put yourself in these players' heads: first you go to the home of an excellent team which has been champions twice now, but with a poor set of supporters, in a half-empty stadium. No atmosphere at all, but you play against a top team. Eventually, you receive the first goal and you think 'oh well, let's just try not to be humiliated tonight'... You get away with 2-0 and are relieved.

Then, you go to the other big team of the league, the almost champions-elect who have destroyed everyone this season. Anfield is packed with passionate fans, the atmosphere is great in that magnificent stadium, the chants are ringing all around. Then you concede early and think 'oh well, here we go again'... But three minutes later, that almighty team which hasn't conceded a goal at home in umpty games suddenly shows needless sloppiness at the back, and one of your center-backs scores an unlikely, scrappy goal from a corner.

Suddenly, you sense blood. The atmosphere transcends everything, you are up for an almighty fight in that glorious venue. After all, you're not as bad as they say, and you'll show it to all these fans. You want to get a result as if your life depends on it.

I said it already at half-time: our lads made it far more difficult for themselves because of that goal they conceded just after the opener. It was bound to galvanise the Hammers for the rest of the game. Fortunately, our lads managed to get a notch up and do just enough to nevertheless win the game. The fantastic support from the supporters, their belief, played a great part too in this comeback. But those early goals conceded at Madrid and yesterday night were both results of sloppiness and a lack of concentration. That isn't a nice pattern and has to stop immediately.

Hopefully Klopp and his team will find the answer to that, fingers crossed!

Joe Gomez x

Not a great performance.

Salah was shit, looked like a Sunday league player at time with his passing.

Actually thought Fabinho was decent especially in the tackle.

Front three were ineffective although Sadio did score but that can’t cover a sub-standard performance.

We have the best fullbacks in the world.

Need to sharpen up now if we want to progress in the CL as we look to still be on holiday.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Salah was shit, looked like a Sunday league player at time with his passing.
If he decided to sling his hook in the summer you couldnt blame him, if he ever sees the like of this nonsense.

He was below his own standards, but a thousand miles from your description. He had lumps kicked out of him with zero protection from a sub standard refereee but kept battling and scored a very important goal. He is among the leading goalscorers again, and has developed his game over the last two years to holding posession and allowing time for regrouping. If he was a City player or Spurs player, playing at his current standard the media would be wanking over him. His industry and skill.
We will talk crap about Son or players like that whilst we denigrate one of the best players on the planet, our own Salah.