Post Match: Liverpool v West Ham (EPL 24/2/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 80 62.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 9’]

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Keita [off 57’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mane [GOAL 81’, off 90+1’]

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Firmino

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Salah [GOAL 68’]

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 57’]

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Matip [on 90+1’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Klopp must be smiling ear to ear after that. He couldn't have asked for a bigger wake-up call. Sloppiness and complacency have crept in as well as an obvious lack of rhythm after the break. Not that there should be any finger-pointing and recriminations, this team is human after all even though it's capacity to collect 3 points after 3 points is machine-like.

That said, there has to be an improvement both collectively and individually because on current form Atletico are going to progress. If West Ham and Antonio can cause so many troubles, they will have a field day. Hopefully the upcoming games will see the likes of Fabinho, Keita who was invisible, the front 3 and the two CBs gain some form.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
We definitely missed Henderson tonight, his leadership and drive in midfield was never going to be replaced by selecting Naby Keita. Once again he failed to deliver, will he ever come good? I hope so, but since he arrived I’ve not seen anything from him to justify the huge transfer fee. The difference when he was replaced by the Ox was there for all to see. All of a sudden we were moving the ball quicker and attacking with pace. I gave Ox man of the match for the impact he had during the last 30 minutes.

OzzyKop

Glad this was over with a 3 points. Hammers spread their legs to Man city last week and had a real go at us. Hope they go down.
Unfortunately Now we have a bounty on our head to beat us, Opposing teams are going for the front page news.
So i expect our remaining PL games to be like norwich/Hammers ones i am afraid.
Ox made a difference when he came on contributing to the 2 goals.
Our defence were not up to scratch and Joe caught napping few times.
Salah was below Bar this game. Mane did his thing. we Missed hendo Big time.
We Move on and go again but hope we have learned from this game a lot.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If he decided to sling his hook in the summer you couldnt blame him, if he ever sees the like of this nonsense.

He was below his own standards, but a thousand miles from your description. He had lumps kicked out of him with zero protection from a sub standard refereee but kept battling and scored a very important goal. He is among the leading goalscorers again, and has developed his game over the last two years to holding posession and allowing time for regrouping. If he was a City player or Spurs player, playing at his current standard the media would be wanking over him. His industry and skill.
We will talk crap about Son or players like that whilst we denigrate one of the best players on the planet, our own Salah.
So, he's beyond criticism but others are fair game?

His passing recently has been poor. Simple 5-10 yard passes going astray.

Mo, if you're reading this, I'm really sorry. I dont want you to leave. Just pass it to our players a bit more. Thanks pal.

Flobs

FADA
If he decided to sling his hook in the summer you couldnt blame him, if he ever sees the like of this nonsense.

He was below his own standards, but a thousand miles from your description. He had lumps kicked out of him with zero protection from a sub standard refereee but kept battling and scored a very important goal. He is among the leading goalscorers again, and has developed his game over the last two years to holding posession and allowing time for regrouping. If he was a City player or Spurs player, playing at his current standard the media would be wanking over him. His industry and skill.
We will talk crap about Son or players like that whilst we denigrate one of the best players on the planet, our own Salah.
His passing is poor though. ;)

Noo Noo

It just seemed to be sheer will that got us through that last night. I honestly never thought we'd lose it, even when West Ham went in front. There was always another gear to go to. I just always felt we needed to step up to that extra gear. We did, enough.

However the game wasn't without some things to work on. Set pieces (both ends), a little slow at times, and some of our interpassing was simply off. I often think that perhaps we're guilty of over complicating things. Salah in particular in that regard and last night my frustration meter with him losing possession was slowly reaching boiling point. The effort was there but the application was really sloppy at times

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
So, he's beyond criticism but others are fair game?

Mo, if you're reading this, I'm really sorry. I dont want you to leave. Just pass it to our players a bit more. Thanks pal.
He isnt beyond criticism, to to liken him to a Sunday league player is uncalled for and plain nonsense.

Anyway, another item for you to have a snip at me about.
Did I steal your lunch in school in a previous life or someting?

redalways

TIA Regular
So Salah gets that goal, to be fair I had spent the previous 60 minutes shouting if you put it on target you might fucking score.

Can I add I’m no fan of Monday night football, I think it’s ever since West Brom beat us under Kenny, we’ve been gash. Sadly the Derby is on a Monday.
Night games, Everton, and Origi, surely the best combination you could ask for...

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Salah's general play can be disappointing, and I feel like we probably could have a player in there is a "cleaner" in possession, but you just can't argue with his return. 19 goals and 9 assists in 3113 minutes. Goal involvement every 111 minutes.
Υes but that return should have been higher considering how wasteful he's been recently.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Υes but that return should have been higher considering how wasteful he's been recently.
It's the ball retention that needs to improve for me, no matter how good his other numbers are.

In the 3 games since returning from the winter break a hell of a lot of attacks have broken down at Salah's feet. It hasn't always been like this, he is capable of much better.

He's not losing possession because he's trying the spectacular, he is miscontrolling easy balls and misplacing easy passes. He is better than this, and we will need him to be better if we want to beat teams like Atletico.

Noo Noo

Salah's general play can be disappointing, and I feel like we probably could have a player in there is a "cleaner" in possession, but you just can't argue with his return. 19 goals and 9 assists in 3113 minutes. Goal involvement every 111 minutes.
I think its worthy of some discussion (better than work anyway) but I agree. His record is astounding but I often feel he over complicates things or tries the difficult option and then loses it.

I just think if he could sort this side of his game we would be a lot more dangerous as a side.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
It's the ball retention that needs to improve for me, no matter how good his other numbers are.

In the 3 games since returning from the winter break a hell of a lot of attacks have broken down at Salah's feet. It hasn't always been like this, he is capable of much better.

He's not losing possession because he's trying the spectacular, he is miscontrolling easy balls and misplacing easy passes. He is better than this, and we will need him to be better if we want to beat teams like Atletico.
That goes without saying. Probably the worst case was Oblak gifting him the ball and him badly miscontrolling it. Any decent first touch and that's an equaliser.

tesh

TIA New Signing
I found our performance a bit rusty/stale. It seemed that the little things, like loosing out on second balls, a stray pass here and there and a wee bit too much of entitlement in our play all seem to lead to a stodgy outing. To me Keita appeared to be the main culprit, he was either a bit off or the set up to use him was, either way if you then combine that with the form and energy of Henderson (that wasn't there) it may point to the why of why the performance was stale. I think the Ox made a difference once he came on and maybe that is swap that is needed for the next game.

It could also just have been one of those days where nothing quite works.

Sweeting

I think its worthy of some discussion (better than work anyway) but I agree. His record is astounding but I often feel he over complicates things or tries the difficult option and then loses it.

I just think if he could sort this side of his game we would be a lot more dangerous as a side.
I see Firmino as a Swiss Army Knife, capable of a great array of things that make him incredibly useful but not necessarily great at any one thing and not particularly deadly.

Mane is more of a Machete. He is a versatile and useful tool but also capable of just hacking straight through an opponent.

Salah is a scalpel. His range of uses is quite limited, you could even argue poor, but he often is able to cut straight to the point (ie. Score a goal)

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Short passing , that's always been the weakest part of his game , and I haven't noticed any improvement , which is really odd considering virtually everyone improves under Klopp. You'd have thought it's something that has been identified and the coaches would be working on with him.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

We don't always help him though, half the time he lives off scraps or long punts.. It's just a waste of possession when you see him trying to compete against the likes of Ogbonna in the air.

The big thing for me is he seems to have lost some pace? It's been awhile that he's put on the after burners and gone past a defender last night he was 1 on 1 with Ogbonna and got out paced, never used to happen that.

This is why for me we need another proper class option as he is either carrying an injury still or is out of form. He needs competition or the ability to not need to play through the pain. Just seems out of sorts at the moment like he's overthinking everything, then ends up trying the impossible.

Sweeting

We don't always help him though, half the time he lives off scraps or long punts.. It's just a waste of possession when you see him trying to compete against the likes of Ogbonna in the air.

The big thing for me is he seems to have lost some pace? It's been awhile that he's put on the after burners and gone past a defender last night he was 1 on 1 with Ogbonna and got out paced, never used to happen that.

This is why for me we need another proper class option as he is either carrying an injury still or is out of form. He needs competition or the ability to not need to play through the pain. Just seems out of sorts at the moment like he's overthinking everything, then ends up trying the impossible.
I do think he has looked a touch slower this season, maybe that has something to do with the muscle he put on after the Madrid final maybe?

On the Ogbonna one though I think that was just good defending, managing to lean enough weight on Salah he couldn't skip round the outside of him. It is always hard to run quickly if someone positions their body well enough.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I do think he has looked a touch slower this season, maybe that has something to do with the muscle he put on after the Madrid final maybe?

On the Ogbonna one though I think that was just good defending, managing to lean enough weight on Salah he couldn't skip round the outside of him. It is always hard to run quickly if someone positions their body well enough.
That or the injury he got. It was decent defending but last year Salah is gone and in on goal in the same scenario.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
One thing we learn from Hendo is never write a player off easily. Alot of players have been written off too during Klopp's era and came back to make important contributions. Keita is the same. I am sure Klopp believes in him because Klopp is never one to hesitate to take action if he thinks other wise. Look at Karius he was out the moment Klopp don't think he is good enough.

Having said that, Keita has to want it. He has to play himself into games. The problem with him right now, he seems to be good but just not that good. Its frustrating. Because he is definitely better. I think Klopp and the coaching team will keep on working with him until it is deemed not working.

In retrospect, so glad for our strength in midfield options too. We thought Keita was the next Gerrard but he seems to be taking longer than we preferred but during this period, how Hendo, Gini and Fabinho had established a midfield stronghold.

Love this club.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
What we learned :
Keita is still not looking an EPL player and I am beginning to doubt if he ever will.
We definitely need another class attacker to keep the guys we have on their toes and to give us a bit of variation in attack. Bring some different ideas .
Ox brings a bit of beef to the team :)
Even on a bad day we can turn what looks like a loss into a win.
We mess about trying to many cocky flicks and tricks and trying to score fancy goals when a simpler option is available.
At times we need to play a forward pass earlier. Delaying it gives the opposition time to get organised.
W Ham are beginning to look like the team they should be considering the investment.
Top teams are never beaten until that final whistle is blown.

A question . Why does Jurgen always take Mane off even when he looks the player most likely to score.

A few players looked below par in fact I thought possibly only Fabinho and Gini were close to their best.

Sweeting

That or the injury he got. It was decent defending but last year Salah is gone and in on goal in the same scenario.
I thought he was slower last year as well though now I think about it. First year Salah almost certainly gets away from Ogbonna though.

iftikhar

Klopp needs to shuffle the pack. As we are getting nearer to the title, the intensity is wearing thin and the fatigue is showing.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I thought Salah was really good last night. Always an providing option, and rarely gives it away, even with two West Ham lads dangling off his neck and another hacking his ankles.

LeoT

Firstly Gini was fantastic yesterday, the best midifielder on the pitch by a mile. Ox did very well when he came on.
For a moment I was having flashbacks of the 2014 season, back then we were dominant until Hendo was out for 3 games, and we lost the league.

This season our 2 most reliable midfielders are the 2 that many of us here have previously said are good not enough for Liverpool.

LeoT

Let's be honest, none of you - and I mean NONE of you - thought we were going to lose when we went down 1-2.

That's what we've become.

Anyways, we need 12 points over the next 11 matches. We can get that with the following records

4-0-7
3-3-5
2-6-3
1-9-1

But, as you know, none of this matters.

We are going to be champions.
I'm the most negative fan ...ever. I still think we will "possibly" win the league.
However, when we conceded the 2nd, even I thought "there's no way we're losing this"