Post Match: Liverpool v West Ham (EPL 24/2/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 80 62.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 9’]

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Keita [off 57’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mane [GOAL 81’, off 90+1’]

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Firmino

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Salah [GOAL 68’]

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 57’]

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Matip [on 90+1’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plamen

What we learned :
Keita is still not looking an EPL player and I am beginning to doubt if he ever will.
We definitely need another class attacker to keep the guys we have on their toes and to give us a bit of variation in attack. Bring some different ideas .
Ox brings a bit of beef to the team :)
Even on a bad day we can turn what looks like a loss into a win.
We mess about trying to many cocky flicks and tricks and trying to score fancy goals when a simpler option is available.
At times we need to play a forward pass earlier. Delaying it gives the opposition time to get organised.
W Ham are beginning to look like the team they should be considering the investment.
Top teams are never beaten until that final whistle is blown.

A question . Why does Jurgen always take Mane off even when he looks the player most likely to score.

A few players looked below par in fact I thought possibly only Fabinho and Gini were close to their best.
Why do you think Keita is not looking like an EPL player?Before he got the injury in the warm up to the Sheffield game he was playing well.People who love to bash Keita conveniently forget that.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Having slept on it, I think yesterdays performance and result was what we needed, particularly given the Atheltico game coming at Anfield, from a psychological point of view. Sometimes winning and winning and winning breeds complacency. In order to really stamp their name in the history books, the squad will know that they need to push on from this great platform. Klopp will now have something to challenge them on. Keep them on their toes.

I was hoping from more from Keita yesterday, but that's the beauty of the squad - we brought Ox in and he looked great. Keita will improve forsure. I thought Gini, who's looked a bit tired, was immense with his drive and work rate. Trent looked much better than last week against Atheletico.

4 more.

Incognito

The Normal One
Let's be honest, none of you - and I mean NONE of you - thought we were going to lose when we went down 1-2.

That's what we've become.
Pre match thread during the game says otherwise sadly. We still aren't believers completely. There were already posts on selling Keita and a potential replacement for Lovren who wasn't even playing!

Red over the water

i imagine klopp's post-match dressing down went something like..

"five to go and i have to do the 'matip for mane' sub..

moyes made me do that sub..

you made me do it..

david fkn MOYES made me do the matip sub!"

i myself am still livid
I can see why we do the Matip sub at that stage, in readiness to defend balls pumped into the box, but I personally wouldn’t do it. The defender is not up to the speed and intensity of the game, and he is coming in cold to a match when the opposition is giving their all to make something happen at the death.

Matip gave a free kick away in a very dangerous position in about the 93rd minute. It happens, but I thought it was indicative of a defender feeling his way into the game.

Also, when we got the ball forward in the 5 mins time added on, it wasn’t sticking and it kept coming straight back. Personally I’d have left Mane on to give them something to worry about.

Just a small point, and I get why we do the Matip sub at that stage of a match, but personally I wouldn’t do it. It says we are trying to hold onto what we have and it invites the other team to go at us, and it weakens our own attacking outlet.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I can see why we do the Matip sub at that stage, in readiness to defend balls pumped into the box, but I personally wouldn’t do it. The defender is not up to the speed and intensity of the game, and he is coming in cold to a match when the opposition is giving their all to make something happen at the death.

Matip gave a free kick away in a very dangerous position in about the 93rd minute. It happens, but I though it was indicative of a defender feeling his way into the game.

Also, when we got the ball forward in the 5 mins time added on, it wasn’t sticking and it kept coming straight back. Personally I’d have left Mane in to give them something to worry about.

Just a small point, and I get why we do the Matip sub at that stage of a match, but personally I wouldn’t do it. It says we are trying to hold onto what we have and it invites the other team to go at us, and it weakens our own attacking outlet.
I’m struggling to think of an occasion that the ‘third CB’ sub hasn’t induced panic and created dangerous situations late in a game.

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
From what i can see last night was the first time in two years (4th Feb 2018 2-2 vs Spurs) when we went behind in a premier league game having scored first.... is that right?
Also last night is only the second time this season we have conceded 2 in a game (first was vs Everton). We conceded 2 goals in a game on four occasions last season, City, Palace, Burnley, Newcastle.

Red over the water

Just want to comment on Mo, having read some discussion a bit earlier in the thread.

Obviously the Sunday League comment someone made was an exaggeration. Mo is one of the best attackers in the world. The goals, assists, and all round general threat he carries are there for all to see.

So what is it? Is there any legitimate issue worth discussing about him?

I phoned my dad after the game. I‘m across the ocean and he’s an old red, schooled on the Kop in the 60s. His take on Mo is that he thinks he’s off at the end of the season. He’s not on the internet and isn’t connected at the club, and isn’t given to spouting crazy stuff, so it was noteworthy, to me at least, to hear his thinking. My dad said that Mo is a brilliant player, a reliable goal scorer etc. but he said he looks a bit different in the way he carries himself now to earlier. I think my dad used the word ‘joy’. It doesn’t seem there, in the same way as before with Mo.

Obviously it’s idle chat really, but I think he might be onto something. Guess we’ll see in the summer.

Mind you, watching the game last night, that Ogbonna looked like he learned how to defend against Mo at the Ramos school of defending. He kept pulling on his shoulder and arm all night. It’s fair to say that Mo is getting roughed up most weeks, and the refs are letting it happen.

It could easily be a case of 2+2 = 5 but maybe that sort of weekly treatment might be on Mo’s mind as he considers his career. By the end of the season he would have won everything there is to win with us, and arguably he might want to experience another new team in a new league?

I hope he stays, but I was interested to hear my dad’s take on Mo - smashing player in so many good ways for us, but the joy doesn't quite seem there in the same way?

PS - the short passing thing is a frustration. Sometimes you get it with brilliant players. They can do sublime things, but then it really grates when a simple thing is sometimes missing. Mo should do the basics a bit better sometimes, but it’s fair to say that that’s the same with every genius in any sphere of work.

Last edited:

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Why do you think Keita is not looking like an EPL player?Before he got the injury in the warm up to the Sheffield game he was playing well.People who love to bash Keita conveniently forget that.
He struggles to get involved in games, is easily dispossessed , seems to have limited vision and his finishing has been poor. When we signed him I thought he was a good signing and was fairly impressed with some of his earlier form but he now seems to have lost his confidence and does not seem to be up for a battle which is essential in this league. There is no doubt he is very skillful and to be fair WHU were tough competition but he was brushed aside very easily and has not impressed for a while now. It would be good to see him on top form but I doubt we will see this against tough opposition.

Joe Gomez x

If he decided to sling his hook in the summer you couldnt blame him, if he ever sees the like of this nonsense.

He was below his own standards, but a thousand miles from your description. He had lumps kicked out of him with zero protection from a sub standard refereee but kept battling and scored a very important goal. He is among the leading goalscorers again, and has developed his game over the last two years to holding posession and allowing time for regrouping. If he was a City player or Spurs player, playing at his current standard the media would be wanking over him. His industry and skill.
We will talk crap about Son or players like that whilst we denigrate one of the best players on the planet, our own Salah.
Some of the stuff he was doing tonight was rubbish end of. Got a goal yeah but the finish was poor but got very lucky but obviously I’m not complaining. I respect you’re opinion but I would cash in, not greatly impressed this season and would take the big fee he would get.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
He struggles to get involved in games, is easily dispossessed , seems to have limited vision and his finishing has been poor. When we signed him I thought he was a good signing and was fairly impressed with some of his earlier form but he now seems to have lost his confidence and does not seem to be up for a battle which is essential in this league. There is no doubt he is very skillful and to be fair WHU were tough competition but he was brushed aside very easily and has not impressed for a while now. It would be good to see him on top form but I doubt we will see this against tough opposition.
Keita has the ability not only to play for Liverpool but to become a star. The problem is that in order to do that he needs rhythm which stems from game time and in order to get game time he needs to stay fit. If his niggling injuries are behind him, we'll have a player on our hands. But that's a big if.

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
Keita has the ability not only to play for Liverpool but to become a star. The problem is that in order to do that he needs rhythm which stems from game time and in order to get game time he needs to stay fit. If his niggling injuries are behind him, we'll have a player on our hands. But that's a big if.
I wonder how many of these conversations were had in prior years on this website about Hendo... he used to be the player that people argued was never good enough to play in a Liverpool shirt.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I’m struggling to think of an occasion that the ‘third CB’ sub hasn’t induced panic and created dangerous situations late in a game.
I do wonder at times if it's done purely to confuse everybody to the point of footballing stalemate.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I'm the most negative fan ...ever. I still think we will "possibly" win the league.
However, when we conceded the 2nd, even I thought "there's no way we're losing this"
To be honest I felt we would, as I said I have issues about Monday night games, however when Salah scored I felt we would score 1-2 more and win it.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I wonder how many of these conversations were had in prior years on this website about Hendo... he used to be the player that people argued was never good enough to play in a Liverpool shirt.
As I said I was on a bus to Anfield about 2 years ago and heard one guy say he actively was pleased when Henderson was out of the team as it stifled our play.

Today we are bemoaning the fact he is injured, the guy has stepped up and Naby needs to as well but at the end of the day I trust Klopp.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
It’s not that we conveniently forget, it’s just that people of a certain age, like me, cannot remember it at all because it was so long ago. Ha ha

Flobs

FADA
You just conveniently made that up didn't you?
I can not remember Keita ever playing well for us. :(

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Having slept on it, I think yesterdays performance and result was what we needed, particularly given the Atheltico game coming at Anfield, from a psychological point of view. Sometimes winning and winning and winning breeds complacency. In order to really stamp their name in the history books, the squad will know that they need to push on from this great platform. Klopp will now have something to challenge them on. Keep them on their toes.

I was hoping from more from Keita yesterday, but that's the beauty of the squad - we brought Ox in and he looked great. Keita will improve forsure. I thought Gini, who's looked a bit tired, was immense with his drive and work rate. Trent looked much better than last week against Atheletico.

4 more.
I agree we needed a game like that. It was unusual to see us playing at full throttle after we went 2-1 down. These days we play within ourselves for the most part but last night was like a 2017/18 game. Wild and chaotic but mostly thrilling. It was good to see that we can still turn that on when we absolutely have to.

Sometimes you need to encounter a bit of jeopardy because the inevitably of grinding out yet another routine victory can dull the edges of performance. We are so rarely tested these days in the PL. I thought it was one of the most entertaining games of the season and unexpectedly so which made it even more enjoyable. Like almost everyone else though, I was watching it knowing we would win even at 2-1 down. I wouldn't have been thinking that in 2017/18.

Red over the water

You just conveniently made that up didn't you?
I can not remember Keita ever playing well for us. :(
Just going from memory so I could be wrong, but I thought before his latest injury Keita scored 3 goals in 3 games. I don't want to overstate it and say he looked like the best midfielder in the world, but to my eye at least he was growing in confidence, had a very high pass completion percentage, and that also included passes in the final third. He also dribbled past people.

All that is to say he was looking like he was becoming a useful player for us, and then... another injury.

Niggly injuries that seem to take a fair while to recover from have been a hallmark of Keita's time at Liverpool so far. And whoever used the word rhythm before was spot on for me, as Keita is that sort of player. When he's in the team and finding his rhythm he looks like he keeps it all moving along and helps us tick.

Sadly those times have been few and far between. But still, I thought I was starting to see it before his latest injury.

As for the future, who knows? I'm far from giving up on him. Ideally he stays fit for a while and starts to show us what he can do. Then again, since his star burned brightly not-too-long-ago in Germany, if Leverkusen want him, plus some dough for Havertz, I won't say no.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Some of the stuff he was doing tonight was rubbish end of. Got a goal yeah but the finish was poor but got very lucky but obviously I’m not complaining. I respect you’re opinion but I would cash in, not greatly impressed this season and would take the big fee he would get.
Of course. Lets think, how do we replace him..........?

Brewster could come good, or Divock might equal his stats. We might get £150m and then spend it on any player who will fit neatly into the role and mirror what Salah brings to the team.

While we are at it, Allison was poor for the first goal......wonder if Pickford is available??
And VVD missed that header, take the money in the summer. Johnny Evans??

I am being trite.....but...

One of the top 5 attackers in world football and you want rid???

Ps @ILLOK
Before you wade in, he isnt above criticism but we should have some perspective.

Red over the water

Mo is one of the world's best, so the club should not initiate a move. That would be crazy. However, if the player is open to a new challenge and wants to try his hand elsewhere after winning everything at Liverpool, it could potentially be serendipitous if, say, we got both Werner and Sancho for the money.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Brewster could come good, or Divock might equal his stats. We might get £150m and then spend it on any player who will fit neatly into the role and mirror what Salah brings to the team.

While we are at it, Allison was poor for the first goal......wonder if Pickford is available??

Ps @ILLOK
Before you wade in, he isnt above criticism but we should have some perspective.
Not sure why you're including me, I've never wanted us to sell Salah.

Joe Gomez x

Ps @ILLOK
Personally I’m mad for Mbappe but the logistics of the deal is obviously well to technical for me so more realistically I would look towards players like Sancho. Age is obviously massive and the quality is a drop of slightly but with more potential to improve unlike Salah who is in his peak. I do get Salah has his moments and for sure has been one of the best players in the world for what the last 3 years . But he just annoyed me yesterday and on plenty of occasions this season. Like the passing is atrocious at times, the amount of time he will dribble into propel compared to what he used to do is ridiculous. I get he’s a victim of his own success but I do feel like we could get a brilliant deal for him at the minute before he declines anymore in the future.

richieh10

Atmosphere was poor until we went behind.

hope that’s sorted for Atleti, as well as a few players performances.

front 3 had an off night, but 2 Of them still scored.

Keita shouldn’t be picked in front of Ox again.

Gini is fantastic but we really missed Hendo yesterday in my opinion