• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Wolves (EPL 12/5/2019 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Matip

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Robertson [off 84’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

• Wijnaldum [off 88’]

• Henderson

• Mane [GOAL 17’, GOAL 81’]

Votes: 89 73.6%
  • Salah

• Origi [off 64’]

• Milner [on 64’]

• Gomez [on 84’]

• Oxlade - Chamberlain [on 88’]

• Total voters

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
That’s not strictly true, though, is it?

Despite their financial doping, City would not have been champions had the right decisions been made all season.

At the risk of sounding like a scratched record, we should have had at least three more points (+2 against Arsenal and Leicester; -1 against West Ham) and City should have had at least two fewer (penalty against West Ham).

That leaves us on 100 points and City on 96... before we even consider the Kompany incident at the Emptyhad.
You are 100% correct in that post. Thank you.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Yes. Still the decision is made by the referee but at least he gets a second look and a second opinion so should get it right more often.
I'm not so sure to be honest. I can't remark on the rest of the world's referees, but I think we have some of the most inept officials in Europe. Compared to the refs that I've seen in the European competitions ours are abysmal. I think VAR may just highlight how abysmal they are.

jaffod

The rules weren’t implemented back in those days. If the rules aren’t there how to break them? You are as gracious as an Everton fan..... instead of congratulating our boys, you ran all over the place bitching about City.

So nobody broke any rules. There are rules in place now. City have broken them. Is that so hard for you to understand?

If you read my posts over the last few weeks you'll see the esteem I hold this team in and how much admiration I have for it. Arguably the greatest Liverpool side I've ever seen.

I offered my congratulations during the lap of honour yesterday, then joined in a great sing-song in the supporters club for a couple of hours. But how remiss of me not to do it on here. It's a mistake I wont be making again.

I wont be gracious towards cheats.

Clown.

jaffod

Despite their financial doping, City would not have been champions had the right decisions been made all season.

At the risk of sounding like a scratched record, we should have had at least three more points (+2 against Arsenal and Leicester; -1 against West Ham) and City should have had at least two fewer (penalty against West Ham).

That leaves us on 100 points and City on 96... before we even consider the Kompany incident at the Emptyhad.
Yet again the big decisions went against us this season, however there'll be plenty in denial.

Retro Helix

Never been more proud to support this club. What an awesome roller-coaster of a season! Despite not winning a trophy yet, just watching our level of football and unity is utter bliss and that alone is worth more than that piece of silverware. Next season cannot come sooner. #YNWA
(p.s. maybe one piece of silverware won't look too bad in the cabinet ;-))

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member

I notice no mention of the points we got that maybe we shouldn't (e.g. offside goal at WHU) plus the points City maybe should have had but didn't (Wolves goal away was an obvious handball by Boly plus blatant penalty not given to City in the same game plus the other ones) ...

Just saying that your view sounds a bit one sided.....will be interesting to see what that study into refereeing decisions throws up this season...

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I notice no mention of the points we got that maybe we shouldn't (e.g. offside goal at WHU) plus the points City maybe should have had but didn't (Wolves goal away was an obvious handball by Boly plus blatant penalty not given to City in the same game plus the other ones) ...

Just saying that your view sounds a bit one sided.....will be interesting to see what that study into refereeing decisions throws up this season...
Is this a City forum?
I am sure if you go on Blue Moon you will see that side of the argument.
Why argue for fair play for City on here,?

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Can the sensible posters on here please have mod status for a week so we get to ban dickheads who question Klopp?
Asking for a friend re your proposed ban (which 110% support):
I questioned Klopp in July in Michigan (when they played United and Shaq introduced himself as a red with a wonderful bicycle kick goal) if me and my boy could take a photo with him. Not only did he take the photo himself (with a huge effin smile) but we slapped it on our Christmas card.
Can I avoid the ban (I've already resigned myself to being a dickhead)

YNWA - what a wonderful season - so much joy and positivity - and a first trip to Anfield to boot!

:well done:

jaffod

City.

2 points lost at Wolves

Kompany non-sending off against Liverpool.
Ridiculous red card for Wolves player at the Emptyhad.
Penalty for falling over in the box against West Ham.
Aguero hand-ball goal against Arsenal.
Referee over-ruling linesman and giving them a clearly offside goal against Watford.
Plus the numerous cards they aren't given for tactical fouls throughout the season.

I think it's fair to say they gained a good 4 or 5 points from those decisions.

Liverpool.

1 point gained at West Ham.

Mane disallowed goal at Arsenal.
Kompany non-sending off at the Emptyhad at 0-0.
Blatant penalty not given at home to Leicester, nor was a red card for Maguire who scored the equaliser.

I think it's fair to say we were done out of 3 or 4 points by those decisions.

That's all it takes. Any one of those decisions goes the other way and we win the title. If being in denial helps you cope with the disappointment then fill your boots.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
City.

2 points lost at Wolves

Kompany non-sending off against Liverpool.
Ridiculous red card for Wolves player at the Emptyhad.
Penalty for falling over in the box against West Ham.
Aguero hand-ball goal against Arsenal.
Referee over-ruling linesman and giving them a clearly offside goal against Watford.
Plus the numerous cards they aren't given for tactical fouls throughout the season.

I think it's fair to say they gained a good 4 or 5 points from those decisions.

Liverpool.

1 point gained at West Ham.

Mane disallowed goal at Arsenal.
Kompany non-sending off at the Emptyhad at 0-0.
Blatant penalty not given at home to Leicester, nor was a red card for Maguire who scored the equaliser.

I think it's fair to say we were done out of 3 or 4 points by those decisions.

That's all it takes. Any one of those decisions goes the other way and we win the title. If being in denial helps you cope with the disappointment then fill your boots.
Personally I think all these what ifs are pointless and tainted by fan bias anyway.

But anyway here is some analysis which gives a different slant https://www.90min.com/posts/6295767-analysing-15-refereeing-decisions-which-have-affected-the-premier-league-title-race

the conclusion is that Liverpool would have gained five points (1 vs Manchester City (A), 2 vs Arsenal, 2 vs Leicester) and lost four (1 vs Manchester City (H), 1 vs West Ham, 2 vs Tottenham).

Manchester City would have gained four points (2 vs Liverpool (A), 2 vs Wolves) and lost two (vs Liverpool (H)).

In total, Liverpool would be one point better off and City would be two points better off.

Red over the water

The day after. Feeling a strange mixture of immense pride in what we did this season, as it really has been a joy - and there’s more to come in Madrid. And on the other hand, there’s the frustration that a 29 year wait goes on. What we did was enough to win it every year, apart from the last two, and while nobody likes a sore loser, I can’t bring myself to congratulate Man City as there is a huge question mark over them.

I’d like to think that we’ve just witnessed something like Ben Johnson winning the 100M at the 1988 Olympics. At the time it was amazing, but there was also a strong suspicion that something was amiss. Sure enough, he was found out, and his “achievement” was erased and his name has since become a byword for cheating.

I only hope the relevant authorities do their job, and then what will be will be.

In the meantime, full credit to an amazing Liverpool team. Belief is back, and it feels more like the start of a journey than the end. We have an excellent side just coming into the start of their peak years, and we have every reason to believe we will strengthen further in summer.

In the meantime, let’s win number 6 and have the last word on this season.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
still feel a little empty/sad at the outcome. But one cannot take anything away from this team. 97 points, the third highest ever, and that's only because last season nobody really challenged City and the finish with a 100 points. This season we challenge them and finish a point behind them and it's the third highest points total in PL history.
Oh! sad because the season is over really. I have to take up tiddlywinks for the next month or two to keep me occupied. LOL

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Personally I think all these what ifs are pointless and tainted by fan bias anyway.

But anyway here is some analysis which gives a different slant https://www.90min.com/posts/6295767-analysing-15-refereeing-decisions-which-have-affected-the-premier-league-title-race

the conclusion is that Liverpool would have gained five points (1 vs Manchester City (A), 2 vs Arsenal, 2 vs Leicester) and lost four (1 vs Manchester City (H), 1 vs West Ham, 2 vs Tottenham).

Manchester City would have gained four points (2 vs Liverpool (A), 2 vs Wolves) and lost two (vs Liverpool (H)).

In total, Liverpool would be one point better off and City would be two points better off.
Ah thats brilliant. Absolutley brilliant.
Quoting 90 min.com
Classic.
Deny what is patently obvious and quote their "take".

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Yesterday, I was so proud of the boys, manager and the season as a whole. They worked so hard at everything.

Today, I feel abit sad and down-hearted, like @Quicksand. We missed out by very small margins in my humble opinion and maybe a little extra luck.

This quite resonated with me and reminded me again, not to be too down-hearted and to try again, again and again and keep going until we achieve our goal.

"I’m not worried,” Klopp said. “That was the season we played. Next season we will play a different season. As long as City are around with the quality and the financial power that they have then it’s not like any other team will pass them easily. That’s clear. We need to be very, very close to perfection to win the Premier League as long as this is the case."

“But we made unbelievably big steps and I really expect more to come, that’s the truth. What that means in the end, I don’t know. But if you see whatever happens to you in life as the only chance you ever had, then I feel a bit sorry for you to be honest.

“There’s a lot to come, a lot of years; it’s all about you and what you do with it, and that’s what we do with it. People will tell us it’s 30 years [since Liverpool won the league] but they have bigger problems, to be honest. We will go again. This team tried it the first time and I really think they did it quite impressively for a first time. And to be on this road and also qualify for the Champions League final is pretty special"

“This team is one of the best to have ever played for Liverpool but we play in a league with other very good teams and we have to accept that, no problem. We will go again, 100%. But give me a few hours to get over what happened today.”

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
Liverpool, der meisterliche Vizemeister

Liverpool, the champions vice-champion

from a German sports magazine

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Ah thats brilliant. Absolutley brilliant.
Quoting 90 min.com
Classic.
Deny what is patently obvious and quote their "take".
Having read the article, I don’t see a problem with it. Certainly not to the extent that I’d feel the need to mock the person who posted it. But, then that seems to be your thing, doesn’t it.

Ljc1109

Although I’m sad we didn’t win the league overall I have such an overwhelming since of pride in our team. This has been such an unbelievable season - which isn’t over yet!! I spent the last nine months scheduling my work around matches, getting up early for the afternoon kickoffs (sometimes 4am in Arizona), even sitting with my phone streaming and headphones on while waiting for my daughter’s team to start playing lol. What a run it has been! This team is only going to keep achieving more and more.

So happy I found the TIA family too- I do not have very many fans near me - especially my husband and the 2 kids he’s brainwashed to be united fans :unhappy:. Glad to have found such a great community of people.

Can’t wait for June 1st!!!! YNWA

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Having read the article, I don’t see a problem with it. Certainly not to the extent that I’d feel the need to mock the person who posted it. But, then that seems to be your thing, doesn’t it.
No, its not my thing. You will find its usually the other way around.

But I am guilty of retaliation, for previous, in another thread.

Ballymun Red

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Yet again the big decisions went against us this season, however there'll be plenty in denial.
Brother in law, who is as bitter as bitters get, said today that Kompany should have been sent off against Leicester too.
Dont recall if he should or not, but he does have history of being dealt with lightly

Ron Swanson

Sir Bob and Sir Bill will be smiling down on our lads like Sir Kenny was on Sunday, proud of what these lads had achieve and yet still could. Unbelievable effort by all. We have the manager that is going to bring us number 19, we have the team that is going to deliver number 19.
Just a tweak here and there nothing major as we are almost the complete article and we are going to dominate for years.
We are back and it's been worth the wait, bloody love these lads.