Post match: Liverpool v Wolves (EPL 12/5/2019 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Matip

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Robertson [off 84’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

• Wijnaldum [off 88’]

• Henderson

• Mane [GOAL 17’, GOAL 81’]

Votes: 89 73.6%
  • Salah

• Origi [off 64’]

• Milner [on 64’]

• Gomez [on 84’]

• Oxlade - Chamberlain [on 88’]

• Total voters

Dane

NEXT!
Yet again the big decisions went against us this season, however there'll be plenty in denial.
Brother in law, who is as bitter as bitters get, said today that Kompany should have been sent off against Leicester too.
Dont recall if he should or not, but he does have history of being dealt with lightly

Ron Swanson

Sir Bob and Sir Bill will be smiling down on our lads like Sir Kenny was on Sunday, proud of what these lads had achieve and yet still could. Unbelievable effort by all. We have the manager that is going to bring us number 19, we have the team that is going to deliver number 19.
Just a tweak here and there nothing major as we are almost the complete article and we are going to dominate for years.
We are back and it's been worth the wait, bloody love these lads.

jaffod

Ah thats brilliant. Absolutley brilliant.
Quoting 90 min.com
Classic.
Deny what is patently obvious and quote their "take".
It was actually written in February and didn't include the FFP abusers home games against West Ham and Watford.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
easy for him to say when we've come second! hope he enjoyed the beer shower the city fans gave him yesterday after him licking their backsides for the last 6 months.
Hey Ballymun - I'm originally from Drumcondra

Dane

NEXT!
had the right decisions been made all season.
Not necessarily saying it affects only Liverpool, but only a matter of time before more of these revelations surface to show how fucking corrupt the system is.

jredp

Not necessarily saying it affects only Liverpool, but only a matter of time before more of these revelations surface to show how fucking corrupt the system is.

absolutely not defending this
unfortunately in life, many people do not want to admit to certain truths and for them, the best way out is to ignore the problems which might lead to controversies , and this I think is the attitude taken by match officials (all levels and organisations included)

BigJon

I have been saying for years that the British standard of refereeing is at best incompetent at worst corrupt. Ferguson had the refs eating out of his hand and no one dared to do anything about it - Rafa hinted at it but nobody backed him.
The most obvious example of the terrible state of British refereeing was the two “last minute “ penalties given to spurs last season- those officials should have been banned from the game. It makes me so angry that incompetence / corruption can mean the difference between a title and second place. Thank god it won’t be an English ref at the final.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

This story was about the Referees body protecting their own. Andre Marriner missed an aboutely blatent red card, and rather than carry the can for it, Marriner was told to pretend he hadn’t seen it. That way it could be dealt with retrospectively.

It wasn’t them trying to influence the referees on field performance, as the headline mischievously implies.

[email protected]

This story was about the Referees body protecting their own. Andre Marriner missed an aboutely blatent red card, and rather than carry the can for it, Marriner was told to pretend he hadn’t seen it. That way it could be dealt with retrospectively.

It wasn’t them trying to influence the referees on field performance, as the headline mischievously implies.
Surely it does though. It goes right to the heart of accountability. 'Don't worry lad, we've got you'.

Kopstar

★★★★★

That's true but you're missing the other aspect of the story. Refs seeing a red card incident and not punishing it. Who knows whether Mariner truly saw the Aguero elbow referenced but Halsey clearly states that he saw an incident worthy of a red card and took no action on the field.

As well as questioning why the PGMOL are instructing their officials to say that they haven't seen an incident that they have, shouldn't we be asking why those officials are failing to send players off in the first place if they saw the incident?

Mascot88

Admin
That's true but you're missing the other aspect of the story. Refs seeing a red card incident and not punishing it. Who knows whether Mariner truly saw the Aguero elbow referenced but Halsey clearly states that he saw an incident worthy of a red card and took no action on the field.

As well as questioning why the PGMOL are instructing their officials to say that they haven't seen an incident that they have, shouldn't we be asking why those officials are failing to send players off in the first place if they saw the incident?
Yes, I agree with that.

Refs failing to send off players is a big problem - and I think refs are undergeneral instruction to avoid sending players wherever possible.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Yes, I agree with that.

Refs failing to send off players is a big problem - and I think refs are undergeneral instruction to avoid sending players wherever possible.
More so in the bigger/tv games do you think?

I seem to remember Webb using that sort of justification in the 2010 (?) World Cup Final re De Jong.

Mascot88

Admin
More so in the bigger/tv games do you think?

I seem to remember Webb using that sort of justification in the 2010 (?) World Cup Final re De Jong.
Definitely. Preserve the match as a spectacle for the neutrals. Whoever they are.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Yes, this is it, the UK will not air its dirty washing in public, it cuts right through the public sector. Better to appear fallible. Im sure the UK trade from this base internationally, it gives a signification that the UK is fair, above board, open for business, in banking, insurance, legal services..............a safe and secure bet. The Magna Carta(el).

Rooster

What a hit son
The brutal facts are we have won fuck all despite an incredible season. We are so overdue for a big trophy. So much swings on Madrid, from from one of our best seasons ever to bridesmaid pisstaking from other supporters. At least that is in our control as it has been a bit frustrating hoping City lost or drew and it never happened. This year we are expected to win the final, and it better happen. Forget next season now is the time.

William Clarke

redshirt
I know, I read it.
But a thief is a thief, a liar is a liar etc etc.
So if they're unscrupulous one way I wouldn't rule out another.
Absolutely agree with you, and the point has to be that if a player gets away with it, whatever it may be, then that player will try it on again. If there is no accountability, then injustices in whatever form will go unpunished.

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
Yes, this is it, the UK will not air its dirty washing in public, it cuts right through the public sector. Better to appear fallible. Im sure the UK trade from this base internationally, it gives a signification that the UK is fair, above board, open for business, in banking, insurance, legal services..............a safe and secure bet. The Magna Carta(el).
You’re absolutely correct.

Getting back to football, if referees applied the law correctly, four or five players would be sent off every game. If that happened, we’d soon see an end to thuggish tackles, dissent, etc, and the game would soon be much cleaner and more fair.

The problem, of course, is that the Premier League trades on its “blood and thunder” reputation; cheating is overlooked, rebranded as “passion”, and players get away with an awful lot.... especially those who play for the media darlings.

How many times should Kane be sent off for diving? Or Fernandinho for blatant fouls?

Barnestormer

Left wing.
You’re absolutely correct.

Getting back to football, if referees applied the law correctly, four or five players would be sent off every game. If that happened, we’d soon see an end to thuggish tackles, dissent, etc, and the game would soon be much cleaner and more fair.

The problem, of course, is that the Premier League trades on its “blood and thunder” reputation; cheating is overlooked, rebranded as “passion”, and players get away with an awful lot.... especially those who play for the media darlings.

How many times should Kane be sent off for diving? Or Fernandinho for blatant fouls?
Cheers. Some reward is nevertheless warranted, and Kane is very good at diving lol

Your first line is equally correct, and I dont know why there isnt a kickback here, to as you say, clean out the persistent offenders. Fernandinho is one of them. And it seems you have the answer, the drama and controversy play into its worldwide attraction - the hardest trophy to win.

hoosierred

absolutely not defending this
unfortunately in life, many people do not want to admit to certain truths and for them, the best way out is to ignore the problems which might lead to controversies , and this I think is the attitude taken by match officials (all levels and organisations included)
Article from 2016??

redgingerbread

Honorary Scouser
Every single City player (manager and owner) would swap right now for out birth in the CL final. Fact.
I like your way of looking at things but in all honesty, wouldn't we swap the champions league final place for the league title too?

William Clarke

redshirt
I like your way of looking at things but in all honesty, wouldn't we swap the champions league final place for the league title too?
Well, if I'm being totally honest, being the greedy sod that I am I would want both.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
In a Thanos snap but the two clubs have different histories, different priorities and different situations. Whilst one is a club desperate to justify their ridiculously funded failure to grasp that illusive trophy, the other has a perch front and centre.

TheSweetSilverSong

Took me a while to come here to post after the last game, but just wanted to say how absolutely proud I am for this team.

For me, what I'm keeping is the result of 97 points with all the amazing stats and records it includes, which (besides being our best as a club) is the 3rd best of all times in the history of the League.
The ridiculous fact that it doesn't translate into a trophy only because City's single point more is one of the 2 best of all times, courtesy of 9 bits of sand (the amount by which the ball didn't cross the line in our game), is sad but not too relevant in my opinion.

That's not to say it wouldn't be amazing to lift the trophy as it would have been so deserved, but it doesn't take anything away from the immense achievement of this team - especially considering the progress from last season and the difference in spending and investment capacity between the two clubs.
I would normally give City credit, and lose with grace, and on the day I did, but after seeing their celebrations I'm so disgusted that I'll leave them alone, not worthy of any comment.

1 more game to win this season, hope we play our best football and if it's meant to be I'll be over the moon! :-)

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Ya but this isn't the conspiracy thread so best to leave all that baggage in there
In fairness
My post was in response to a Moderator, answering his comment on my reaction to a post by Rambler.
All a bit convoluted, but it stemmed from Rambler using data from a site to illustrate Liverpools points deviation when decisions were taken into account. All of this following the amount of scorn poured on various pieces of research in the bias thread. I found it difficult to take Ramblers post seriously, considering the source.
Again, in fairness this was never directed at or involving you in any way. Not sure why you have to comment?

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
In fairness
My post was in response to a Moderator, answering his comment on my reaction to a post by Rambler.
All a bit convoluted, but it stemmed from Rambler using data from a site to illustrate Liverpools points deviation when decisions were taken into account. All of this following the amount of scorn poured on various pieces of research in the bias thread. I found it difficult to take Ramblers post seriously, considering the source.
Again, in fairness this was never directed at or involving you in any way. Not sure why you have to comment?
The main reason why I wanted out of the conspiracy thread was I could see it was just going to up up with bad blood between normally decent posters (one or two just argue for the sake of it but that's another story) which is what has happened and was the reason why the mods closed it. Do you not think its time to let it go