• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v Wolves (EPL 29/12/19 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • Gomez

Votes: 77 63.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Wijnaldum [off 86’]

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Lallana [off 67’]

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • Mane [GOAL 42’]

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Firmino [off 86’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Keita [on 67’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Milner [on 86’]

• Origi [on 86’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bazza66

TIA Oldie, still in the Youth Team though
Ad-free Member
What the haters refuse to acknowledge is that EVERYONE is subject to the morons who interprate VAR. We have gained and lost via VAR. So has every other club. Swings and roundabouts. We gained today because that twat of a ref was clearly disfunctional but he couldn't overrule a VAR decision which by the grace of God happened to be the correct one. One thing is clear though, that 'Armpit' rule has got to go. It's just messing with people's heads. Should be judged by the position of the chest ie the bulk of the torso.
Typical Scouse redshite twat

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Just going through the game now as I have heard a few things about the potential VVD handball and the refs whistle, among other things.

1. Refs whistle is only blown once the ball hits the back of the net. Definitive, no doubt about it. Ref might have had whistle in mouth, however he definitely didn't blow too soon. The ball hits the shoulder, pretty much everyone agrees on that.

2. Cant tell about the VVD one. I have no idea if the ball grazes the atoms of his jersey. The thing I can tell you is that at this second, I only see 1 of 5 Wolves player ask for handball. It is a halfhearted appeal, that lasts for a nanosecond. He is in the absolute worst position to judge (basically touchline from the cameras perspective). The other 4 are basically looking right at VVD, and make no appeals. The ref actually has good line of sight, much better than the camera view. There are no wolves players blocking his view. He is relatively far away.

Now VAR. I really dont care how long it takes if its a correct call. I certainly dont want any subjectivity from the lineman added to the equation, as suggested by Lukas Brud, general secretary of the International Football Association Board. If this happens, we are basically going back to pre offside VAR (bar the obvious ones). I think the VAR offsides is perfect from the correct call POV, I do however think it can be vastly improved from a viewers point of view, and can be accomplished quicker. There is way too much technology for this not to happen.

• Anyway, 3 deserved points.
  • 14 point clear (taking goal difference into account) with game in hand.
  • Wasteful finishing again.
  • Defense awesome again. have gone from set piece panic from approximately 2 years ago, to relative calm when it happens now. Anyone else feel that way?
  • Controlled most of the game. Wolves stood off and didn't force the issue until the later stages of the game. This is the way they play.
Just looked at LFCTV footage of VVD. No handball IMO. Wolves player (No 8), probably closest player to the incident, looking straight on, made zero appeal.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
What the haters refuse to acknowledge is that EVERYONE is subject to the morons who interprate VAR. We have gained and lost via VAR. So has every other club. Swings and roundabouts. We gained today because that twat of a ref was clearly disfunctional but he couldn't overrule a VAR decision which by the grace of God happened to be the correct one. One thing is clear though, that 'Armpit' rule has got to go. It's just messing with people's heads. Should be judged by the position of the chest ie the bulk of the torso.
Agreed, that. Pukki wasn’t offside v Spurs and IMO was/is the biggest controversy from the weekend. Much more so than anything from our match. Norwich was robbed.

EDIT: and I’ll say it again, screw Wolves. Nuno cries incessantly. About everything. Win or lose he is always aggrieved and whining about something. He’s always the victim. And the media seem to absolutely adore him for some bizarre reason.

Magnus

Agreed, that. Pukki wasn’t offside v Spurs and IMO was/is the biggest controversy from the weekend. Much more so than anything from our match. Norwich was robbed.

EDIT: and I’ll say it again, screw Wolves. Nuno cries incessantly. About everything. Win or lose he is always aggrieved and whining about something. He’s always the victim. And the media seem to absolutely adore him for some bizarre reason.
Heh, you and I agree on much, but not Wolves. Sometimes I wonder which wolf cub bit you in the leg :p
I have seen some Nuno interviews, I have always thought he always answers very well ;)
Anyway, we cannot always agree on everything ! :)

Edit: Agree on the Pukki bit though, that was probably even more controversial.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Heh, you and I agree on much, but not Wolves. Sometimes I wonder which wolf cub bit you in the leg :p
I have seen some Nuno interviews, I have always thought he always answers very well ;)
Anyway, we cannot always agree on everything ! :)

Edit: Agree on the Pukki bit though, that was probably even more controversial.
It’s all good Magnus! I very much respect and appreciate your footballing opinions! This difference of perspective is what makes TIA a fun place to be and talk football.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
The problem was they ended up looking at 3 different issues. Im kind of amazed given that desire to find a way to rule it out that it was allowed to stand.
What do you mean by that? Because they also checked if Mane was offside? Come on. They weren't trying to find a way for it to be ruled out. If there's one thing the guys running VAR want to avoid, it's all this video technology being used but still missing an obvious issue. Just imagine the uproar if VAR overruled the on-field ref for the handball and video was released after the match that showed Mane offside! The VAR is covering his arse. Not some stupid conspiracy.

Anthony Taylor is an absolute dud I'll agree. I will say this though: just as the match started the commentators mentioned that Taylor has given 3 penalties to us in the last 2 matches reffing us (before this one). If that's right then he's doing a lousy job of being biased.

jaffod

What do you mean by that? Because they also checked if Mane was offside? Come on. They weren't trying to find a way for it to be ruled out. If there's one thing the guys running VAR want to avoid, it's all this video technology being used but still missing an obvious issue. Just imagine the uproar if VAR overruled the on-field ref for the handball and video was released after the match that showed Mane offside! The VAR is covering his arse. Not some stupid conspiracy.

Anthony Taylor is an absolute dud I'll agree. I will say this though: just as the match started the commentators mentioned that Taylor has given 3 penalties to us in the last 2 matches reffing us (before this one). If that's right then he's doing a lousy job of being biased.
They're wrong. He'd reffed us 3 times before last night and had given us 2 pens, one at home to Arsenal and one at home to Spurs. Both were nailed on.

Limiescouse

The images they showed on our TV feed just kept playing on a loop stuff that had no bearing on anything. To then go back and look at the VVD over and over again, it gives the impression of searching for reasons to disallow a goal, which was the biggest fear of VAR.

1dragon

TIA Regular
I thought Nuno played his cards right; try to keep it right in the first half and reserve his main attacking players to challenge our tiring players in the second. The tactic almost paid off as we were prolifigate in the first half and visibly tired in the second. Nevertheless, a good 3 points is what we needed.

Just a quick comment on using VAR to judge (very) marginal offsides... I think everyone would agree that with technology, more infringements would get spotted. The margins for such infringements would also reduce as technology allows us to spot infringements which were previously not called out.

The issue with VAR is how it was communicated and the implementation of it. If the governing body had clarified from the onset that there would be such marginal calls, I think the outcry would be far lesser than it is now.

On to the implementation, I agree with those who said decisions can be made faster, again, by eliminating the human aspect. Take Hawkeye for example, which is being used to judge line calls for tennis and recently, for badminton too. Decisions are made pretty swiftly, so this reduces the doubt on the player's mind that the call was controversial. For tougher decisions, the commentators also try to caveat that it is a close call, so Hawkeye would take a little longer to arrive at the decision. This softens the impact to players and spectators.

I do think that football has a lot to learn from racket spots in this regard.

Magnus

I thought Nuno played his cards right; try to keep it right in the first half and reserve his main attacking players to challenge our tiring players in the second. The tactic almost paid off as we were prolifigate in the first half and visibly tired in the second. Nevertheless, a good 3 points is what we needed.

Just a quick comment on using VAR to judge (very) marginal offsides... I think everyone would agree that with technology, more infringements would get spotted. The margins for such infringements would also reduce as technology allows us to spot infringements which were previously not called out.

The issue with VAR is how it was communicated and the implementation of it. If the governing body had clarified from the onset that there would be such marginal calls, I think the outcry would be far lesser than it is now.

On to the implementation, I agree with those who said decisions can be made faster, again, by eliminating the human aspect. Take Hawkeye for example, which is being used to judge line calls for tennis and recently, for badminton too. Decisions are made pretty swiftly, so this reduces the doubt on the player's mind that the call was controversial. For tougher decisions, the commentators also try to caveat that it is a close call, so Hawkeye would take a little longer to arrive at the decision. This softens the impact to players and spectators.

I do think that football has a lot to learn from racket spots in this regard.
I prefer the continental version of VAR, where the ref have to take the decision watching all angles on the tv. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Wilkored08

Good morning everyone, just to say Happy New Year to one and all at TIA....got my birthday pressie on Sunday, now just need to complete the New Year against SHU. Hope you all have a great night, and hope we have an even better second half of the season. COYR....YNWA....

The Phenom

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
I read that a group of Borussia Monchengladbach fans had turned up for this match as part of their annual visit to Anfield.
Anyone know of any details about it?
Also, to digress a little, I would like to join up for the reciprocal visit of the Reds to Mongchen this spring.
It has been on my list of to do things for many years but I could not find an opportunity to do it till now.
May I know who in here had made the trip in previous years, and who intend to go on this coming edition?

Last edited:

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
late to the party so to speak!

Happy New Year one and all!!!

3 vital points! More VAR controversy! How much more my heart can take I don't know!!! Wolves proved to be difficult opponents, which was no surprise. But overall we deserved the win. Lallana continues his good form and gets an assists. I think he has surprised many of us with the high level he is performing at. Gomez too looks good, and Hendo was a beast!

Well, 2019 was an amazing year!!!
What wonders will 2020 bring!!!