Post Match: Liverpool vs. Shrewsbury (4/2/2020)

Man of the March

• Kelleher

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Williams

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Hoever

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • van den Berg

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Lewis

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Clarkson (off 90+2)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Chirivella

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Cain

• Elliott (off 90+4)

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Millar (off 82)

• Jones

Votes: 53 54.1%
  • Boyes (on 90+2)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dixon-Bonner (on 90+4)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hardy (on 82)

• Total voters

LeoT

Do we send the kids out against Chelski or really piss them off & fuck them over with the big boys?
The kids have earned it to their crdit.

I would play the best 3 or 4 of our u23 squad (Williams, Jones, Elliot, and possibly Chirivella), then first team players against Chelsea.

Based on these 2 facts
Chelsea > Villa
Villa > Liverpool u23 (judging from the 5:0 win).

Adrien

Williams - Matip - Gomez - Robbo

Chirivella
Hendo -------- Gini

Elliot - Firminho - Jones​

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
So do I...

It's a funny game...

Hopefully he'll not be affected by it.
No way he had made errors before and after due to lack of concentration and tiredness. He needs to learn to keep these things in check. That own goal should do him good. In his favor our kids were putting enormous effort into pressureising their defense, that pressure caused the error.

Last edited:

LeoT

Same pass here. Yours shows the wrong defender. Cant even see the ball being played. Our other (ginger) centre back plays him on IMHO - depending on what part of the anatomy counts. Very harsh,

Yes, i felt it was a very harsh decision too,

.....but also very FUNNY!!!!

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I am always a bit sceptical about the Daily Mail, but this article is actually very good. And I really like the pictures tbh.
Was probably written by a Liverpool fan.

XMarlin

Commando

Ad-free Member
Yes, i felt it was a very harsh decision too,

.....but also very FUNNY!!!!

Don't think that it was harsh at all. If you look along the line where the colour of the turf changes then you can see that a small piece of VdB's shoulder is showing across it while athe whole of the Shrewsbury player's lower leg is over the line.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
What is obvious for everyone to see, is that Liverpool edging ever closer to winning the League (I say League, because football did actually exist before the Premier League) is putting an awful lot of noses out of joint. Up and down the country, pundits, ex players, TV presenters etc are praying for a miracle that Citoil somehow might stop us. You can actually see the hatred in Craig Burley’s face (Craig who??) as he rants at Steve Nicol.
So, this controversy surrounding team selection for the FA Cup is giving these twats several sticks to beat us with, because they are desparate for anything, which they think, might rock the boat at Anfield.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Oh you can hear it in the fans, everyone and his dog expected Shrewsbury to beat us but the lads stepped up, I expected a loss but I hoped for a tight scoreline, when I saw the alert I thought ah well, maybe VAR and then an alert 5 minutes later made me chuckle.

It's a despair among some.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Anyhow the BBC are running a "Was Klopp right to stay away"....

Seems the fans of other clubs want to avoid reading the story so have left it to Liverpool fans to boost it. I would have preferred if he was in the stands but I understand it. Nothing mentioned of Milner's involvement by the pros. I have noticed the cautious approach by some on the mid winter break, it does seem they've moved on to the narrative of him not being there.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I don't really get the venom aimed at the FA by posters on here. Can anyone show me where they have made any criticism of the club playing a youth side? You can bet your life there is one final above all others they are praying for and that is LFC v City... I have no doubt they were immensely relieved after our win last night.

I would imagine that this will ensure that 4th round replays will disappear next season.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I don't really get the venom aimed at the FA by posters on here. Can anyone show me where they have made any criticism of the club playing a youth side? You can bet your life there is one final above all others they are praying for and that is LFC v City... I have no doubt they were immensely relieved after our win last night.
They put the club in this position by scheduling FA Cup replays in the winter break, which is fucking stupid.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
They put the club in this position by scheduling FA Cup replays in the winter break, which is fucking stupid.
Err......... I saw Newcastle playing last night though so it wasn't only us. And Spurs and Southampton play tonight.

When would you have scheduled it then? Doesn't look to be a whole lot of space in our schedule.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Regarding the VAR decision, it's noticeable that the VAR footage on the Beeb doesn't show any offside/onside lines being drawn on the pitch.

In my opinion this is because, when Williams kicks the ball, Whalley is clearly in an offside position, and he (Whalley) remains "offside" throughout the remainder of the play because only Shrewsbury players touch the ball i.e. he isn't played onside by Liverpool deliberately playing the ball.

In other words, from Williams kicking the ball, to Whalley scoring, (I believe) it can be considered to be a single phase of play.

So, when Whalley heads the ball in, after a deliberate save by Kelleher, he becomes active, and the goal is disallowed.

Last edited:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Err......... I saw Newcastle playing last night though so it wasn't only us. And Spurs and Southampton play tonight.

When would you have scheduled it then? Doesn't look to be a whole lot of space in our schedule.
You are not wrong, but it really points to the dysfunctionality of English football governance. The FA has been complaining about the competitive disadvantage that England faces compared to nations with a winter break. They pressed for the winter break. They got it, and have promptly used it to fill in FA Cup games.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
You are not wrong, but it really points to the dysfunctionality of English football governance. The FA has been complaining about the competitive disadvantage that England faces compared to nations with a winter break. They pressed for the winter break. They got it, and have promptly used it to fill in FA Cup games.
So the problem is not the scheduling but the fact there are replays at all. Simple solution then.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Never said it was only us. Newcastle, Spurs and Saints have made their own decision how to approach this.

Jurgen could have delayed the break for half the squad, and led a strong side into that match. But his stance is that unless someone says ‘no’, then nothing will change. The FA will continue to piss about with fixtures, and avoid the central issue here - there is too much football putting too much pressure on human bodies and diminishing the product. He has chosen to put himself in the firing line, and take on that fight - something the basic punditariat can’t get their thick heads round. A thick cunt like Alan Shearer will be first to moan when a visibly knackered England eleven get their arses handed to them in the summer by the first quality team they face. But won’t accept that fitness is a key part of that.

As for when to schedule it, that’s for the FA to sort out with the Premier League, preferable at the start of the season.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...

The other premier league clubs should have followed Klopps lead and refused to play first teamers during the mid season break.
The ties should have finished after one match, AET and pens if required. You cant organise a break and then expect teams to play during it. That is nonsensical.

Liverpool were manoeuvred out of competing for the League Cup already this season, as a consequence of winning the CL. Play Villa the night before a WCC semi final? Utter disrespect for LFC.
It would have suited the media in general for Liverpool to lose last night, so that Klopp could be demonised for his decision.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Liverpool were manoeuvred out of competing for the League Cup already this season, as a consequence of winning the CL. Play Villa the night before a WCC semi final? Utter disrespect for LFC.
It would have suited the media in general for Liverpool to lose last night, so that Klopp could be demonised for his decision.
Liverpool could have been rather more difficult about it - a complaint to FIFA probably would have gained some traction. Certainly, the Premier League would not have been allowed to schedule any fixtures anywhere near that close to the WCC, the League Cup was an oddity due to the fact it is a second cup. But the argument could be made that the FA was failing to enforce the open schedule required by FIFA, the Football League is subject to FA authority.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Never said it was only us. Newcastle, Spurs and Saints have made their own decision how to approach this.

Jurgen could have delayed the break for half the squad, and led a strong side into that match. But his stance is that unless someone says ‘no’, then nothing will change. The FA will continue to piss about with fixtures, and avoid the central issue here - there is too much football putting too much pressure on human bodies and diminishing the product. He has chosen to put himself in the firing line, and take on that fight - something the basic punditariat can’t get their thick heads round. A thick cunt like Alan Shearer will be first to moan when a visibly knackered England eleven get their arses handed to them in the summer by the first quality team they face. But won’t accept that fitness is a key part of that.

As for when to schedule it, that’s for the FA to sort out with the Premier League, preferable at the start of the season.
You just know that if a Spurs England player goes down today and is out into the summer, there will be lots of unironic cries from the same punditry that football authorities are too focused on money and are overplaying players.