Post Match: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 2/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 76’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [off 45’]

• Van Dijk

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 62’]

• Salah

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Firmino [off 62’]

• Mane [off 85’]

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 45’]

• Origi [on 62’]

• Keita [on 62’]

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Williams [on 76’]

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Minamino [on 85’]

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Well, that was shite.

Had the title race still been on, I’d have been livid with that display. Then again, we almost certainly wouldn’t have been so poor had there been anything to play for. Even so, we were well below par and, given Jürgen’s pre-match comments that we would give our very best, this has to go down as our worst performance in a long time... well, since Watford, at least.

I must admit that before the game I thought that Guardiola might field a weakened team- they can’t catch us now and aren’t being threatened for second place, so it’s the sort of game where they could give their fringe players a run-out and save their first-teamers from the ignominy of having to give us the guard of honour. It’s the sort of thing Petulant Pep might do, but I don’t think the knuckle-draggers like Karen7 on Bluemoon would ever let him live it down.

Anyway, after the halfhearted guard of honour offered by the deposed champions, we were by far the better team until the opening goal, despite Gary Neville’s KDB wankfest. Bobby should have done a lot better when Ederson saved Salah’s shot in the fourth minute, while Mané wasted a good headed opportunity soon afterwards- he was possibly unsighted at the time. Lovely work from Salah when he was unlucky to hit the post a few minutes later, too.

Sadio also spurned a good chance soon after the restart- had he not been a devout Muslim, I would have sworn that he was playing with a hangover. I’m sure that City would have been awarded the penalty had the foul on Divock in the 73rd minute been the other way around, but what do you expect with a Manc in charge?

In a way, this reminded me of our Champions League defeat at home by Atletico- we created loads but our opponents took their chances. Quite simply, we could easily have scored two or three goals but didn’t. Solution? Mbappé.

A bit of a harsh penalty decision- Sterling clearly grabbed Joe’s shirt first- but Gomez shouldn’t have given the referee a decision to make- just stand up against your man; there’s no reason to put an arm around him. You just know that any Premier League referee will give a decision against Liverpool whenever possible- don’t make it easy for them.

Gomez didn’t cover himself in glory for the second goal, either, while it’s not often that I agree with Ratboy but he was right in saying that Robbo looked like he’d been out on the lash all week for City’s third. Robbo went AWOL again for City’s fourth, where Ox was unlucky. Even Alisson was poor today.

We’re going to have to endure the “City are back!” rubbish now; easy solution- switch off the TV. On the bright side, the hype surrounding City will push our odds out for next season’s title, so it’s time to fill yer boots.

MOTM: Me- for helping my other half in the kitchen and ensuring that dinner was ready in time for the match. At least I had some lovely roast halibut tonight.

RIRed

View from my sofa.Winning the league has taken the edge off the players today. Unfortunately it was against shity. Gomez was a big let down in the firs half, but the whole defending aspect was lackluster. Klopp’s calm demeanor on the side line spoke volume, and I’m sure it won’t take much to bring the hunger back, after all there are still records to shatter. But don’t despair my friends, our beloved team is still Champions even though the gap has shrunk to only 20

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Not going to talk about the game except to say nobody played to their standard. Its obviously to do with the fact we've already won the league because they'd never get away with playing like that if this game meant anything. I will point out the good work VVD did on his way off the pitch telling KDB that even though they'd won this game he'd have to join us to get any more league trophies and could probably lift the Champions League trophy next year too if he did join.

Alright Now

Well, that was shite.

Had the title race still been on, I’d have been livid with that display. Then again, we almost certainly wouldn’t have been so poor had there been anything to play for. Even so, we were well below par and, given Jürgen’s pre-match comments that we would give our very best, this has to go down as our worst performance in a long time... well, since Watford, at least.

I must admit that before the game I thought that Guardiola might field a weakened team- they can’t catch us now and aren’t being threatened for second place, so it’s the sort of game where they could give their fringe players a run-out and save their first-teamers from the ignominy of having to give us the guard of honour. It’s the sort of thing Petulant Pep might do, but I don’t think the knuckle-draggers like Karen7 on Bluemoon would ever let him live it down.

Anyway, after the halfhearted guard of honour offered by the deposed champions, we were by far the better team until the opening goal, despite Gary Neville’s KDB wankfest. Bobby should have done a lot better when Ederson saved Salah’s shot in the fourth minute, while Mané wasted a good headed opportunity soon afterwards- he was possibly unsighted at the time. Lovely work from Salah when he was unlucky to hit the post a few minutes later, too.

Sadio also spurned a good chance soon after the restart- had he not been a devout Muslim, I would have sworn that he was playing with a hangover. I’m sure that City would have been awarded the penalty had the foul on Divock in the 73rd minute been the other way around, but what do you expect with a Manc in charge?

In a way, this reminded me of our Champions League defeat at home by Atletico- we created loads but our opponents took their chances. Quite simply, we could easily have scored two or three goals but didn’t. Solution? Mbappé.

A bit of a harsh penalty decision- Sterling clearly grabbed Joe’s shirt first- but Gomez shouldn’t have given the referee a decision to make- just stand up against your man; there’s no reason to put an arm around him. You just know that any Premier League referee will give a decision against Liverpool whenever possible- don’t make it easy for them.

Gomez didn’t cover himself in glory for the second goal, either, while it’s not often that I agree with Ratboy but he was right in saying that Robbo looked like he’d been out on the lash all week for City’s third. Robbo went AWOL again for City’s fourth, where Ox was unlucky. Even Alisson was poor today.

We’re going to have to endure the “City are back!” rubbish now; easy solution- switch off the TV. On the bright side, the hype surrounding City will push our odds out for next season’s title, so it’s time to fill yer boots.

MOTM: Me- for helping my other half in the kitchen and ensuring that dinner was ready in time for the match. At least I had some lovely roast halibut tonight.
Thank you, sir.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Realy guys I don’t give a fuck, there is no trophy in the Premier League for beating Liverpool, there is only one and that’s the one for winning the Premier League and that one is already ours for more than a week, sleep tight my friends.

Gave it to Neco, why? Just because. :p

ianrush

TIA Squad Member
we can't sit on our laurels. 0-4! man city has fired the first warning shot. we need to strengthen our squad despite having many promising youngsters.
:oops:

Falcon51

Strike Hard, Strike Fast, Strike to Win
Ah, was there a game played or did I miss it? I watched the full game, surely this was a replay from a previous year? It couldn’t be our Premier Championship Team that played today. It was a cruel joke, holographic players, not our lads! Say it isn’t so!

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I have no words at the moment. I could have coped with a 1-0 or a 2-0, but 4-0 flipping nil.
Okay, it was definitely the all week celebratory shenanigans that caused our lack lustre dismal display.

Anyway, we are EPL Champions 19/20 season, so happy for now.

However, trying to defend our title next season will be no mean feat, we need to be on our A game from the very first game.

Noo Noo

I cant say that it wasn't good enough, not now not after being more than good enough for the last two seasons up till now.

I'm just really disappointed to be honest. The fight wasn't there, not as much as it should be. But hey ho perhaps that might be a kick up the ass for the rest of the season now