• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 2/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 76’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [off 45’]

• Van Dijk

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 62’]

• Salah

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Firmino [off 62’]

• Mane [off 85’]

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 45’]

• Origi [on 62’]

• Keita [on 62’]

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Williams [on 76’]

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Minamino [on 85’]

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LFCFFC

Forgettable evening, the lads were hammered and that was before they'd even left the bus.

Hopefully this is a good kick up the arse needed to maintain our standards. At the same time, I can't blame them too much for switching off after such an arduous couple of years chasing the title.

Still the champs. Onwards and upwards etc etc

macca1970

A bright start to the game, hit the post, front three high intensity press, but our finishing wasn’t there. The dynamics of the game changed with the Shitty penalty, which Stirling went down, shall we say, very easily.

Then we looked for an instant hit back, but we went about it in the wrong way. It seemed like the players tried to do a “Degsy” by trying to win each challenge. This allowed Shitty to exploit the spaces on the counter, added to their clinical finishing, made us pay dearly.

The second half started well for us, but the Mane fluffed chance summed it up. A good 15 minutes, but nothing to show for it. Then another break, another goal for Shitty. Just before the whistle a goal ruled out for handball.

The game was like watching a gambler keep betting red using the martingale system, whereas Shitty were the croupier pocketing the money. So we were picked apart by Shitty on the day. Gives Klopp a good team talk for next season at least.

Disappointing day, but an amazing year.

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
I said if this was anything other than a dead rubber match I'd be worried, but in hindsight it may be a blessing in disguise: it gives everyone who doesn't like us something to wank about while providing Jurgen with fodder to rocket the boys and be clear that standards can't slip if we want to retain next year. Still, our first match as Champions in a few decades, and hopefully a better performance on Sunday.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I said in in the pre match thread we'd either be great or shit and we were....shit.
I'd play youngsters and fringe players from now on like keita and minamino.
These players have given everything all season so give them limited time now.
If someone like keita isn't starting every game then move him on.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
They were all completely hammered last Thursday night and completely hammered again tonight. If we had taken one of those chances in the first 20 minutes it might have been different but we are not clinical enough and against the top teams you don't always get away with missing easy chances and we didn't tonight.

No complaints about the penalty. I thought we had resigned Martin Skrtel for a minute there. No one is a bigger fan of Joe Gomez than me but he had an absolute mare tonight and he wasn't the only one. After that it was a question of how many they would score. I thought there was a goal coming every time they came forward and I'm just glad it's all over. Definitely second best tonight but not over the season and that's what counts.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
90% Pish......

but there was 2 positives...

we saw more of Nico Williams, the lad was unfazed, he's gonna be star,

and we're 1 day closer to July 13th!

and to the bluemoon rockets......, NO!!!!

this does not mean you are World Club Champs, Euro Champs league champs Euro Supercup champs and EPL Champs.
it doesnt work like that!

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Lee Dixon with surprisingly sound logic. Put it in its proper perspective. He said, from experience, that match meant absolutely nothing to Liverpool and he said Sterling’s comments about “making a statement”, also mean absolutely nothing.

What was going on between Jürgen and Pep in the technical area during the second half??

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
MOTM for City: Anthony Taylor to change the momentum of the match.

Awful display after the pen given against us, felt as if we have collectively lost our heads, on the pitch and elsewhere :sneaky:. TBH, after such a high being crowned Champions of England, the lag and let down right after is inevitable.

Game on against Villa! Show them our full fury!

I have a tough time picking 3 players from this match, will give it a go anyways
1. Hendo: Still giving his all, at least not wanting the score go get any worse near the end of the match.
2. Neco: Much calmer than TAA in this game. I think that we were just a bit better on the right after he came on. But I was no longer fully concentrating on the game by then.
3. Fabinho: I thought he did okay, I don't think he had any major error causing our downfall this match. Again, I have already wiped this match out of my memory.

So, all the above could just be a figment of my imagination. The truth is that we still lost 4-0 (better than 5-0 as the last handball did not count. Whew! ;))

LFCFFC

Lee Dixon with surprisingly sound logic. Put it in its proper perspective. He said, from experience, that match meant absolutely nothing to Liverpool and he said Sterling’s comments about “making a statement”, also mean absolutely nothing.

What was going on between Jürgen and Pep in the technical area during the second half??
"Making a statement"

Closes the gap to 20 points.

RodM

Citoil 4 Couldnaebearsed 0.

I sort of half expected this but we should be giving the younger and fringe players a shout.

On that subject, I was very impressed with Neco Williams. I'd like to see more of him in the next few games. Of the regulars, Salah looked OK, Gomez had a nightmare and no one else really turned up.

The next few games are free passes for us. We need to try out a few players and formations and make the most of it.

richieh10

Tonight we were well beaten, by a better side (on the night)

fuck me glad Aguero and Sane weren’t playing. Injured and off to Munich.
They always score against us.
Might have been 10.

Fucking will be forgetting about this game pretty quick.

klopp job is to make sure the players DONT forget about it.

I know it’s pretty irrelevant now but our recent form, particularly away has been dreadful.