• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 2/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 76’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [off 45’]

• Van Dijk

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 62’]

• Salah

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Firmino [off 62’]

• Mane [off 85’]

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 45’]

• Origi [on 62’]

• Keita [on 62’]

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Williams [on 76’]

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Minamino [on 85’]

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Fact of the matter is on that penalty, Gomez holds on way to long, do it for a second or two he was on it for a good 10 seconds. I don’t blame the ref on that and that free kick/penalty was soft anyhow.

If our back line had played that bad all season then Klopp would probably have been sacked, it’s not normal from us, so it doesn’t worry me, let’s make a statement on Sunday mind, Let’s not disgrace Anfield with that kind of attitude or performance.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Fact of the matter is on that penalty, Gomez holds on way to long, do it for a second or two he was on it for a good 10 seconds. I don’t blame the ref on that and that free kick/penalty was soft anyhow.
Agreed completely.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I'm not going to agree with the inevitable throwaway remarks that we are already on the beach. I thought we were by far the better team early in the first half. I sincerely hope that isn't City's starting backline because we cut through them like a hot knife through butter on many occasions. That might seem an odd comment when we failed to score over 90 minutes, but I think we weren't very clinical at all today which allowed the City defence to get away with it.

The main issue tonight was that there was little fight after the first goal went in. And practically none at all after the second. I've talked about this several times over the last few months, but there are many factors in becoming champions, and ability wouldn't even make up 50% of it. There are going to be a shit tonne of posts tonight and over the next week demanding we go heavy in the transfer market based on the evidence of this performance. That IMO is rubbish. What we lacked tonight was the hunger, desire, pride to fight it out which aren't going to be solved in the transfer market. Those are almost certainly symptoms of having already won the league, and (visibly angry and upset) Klopp has to ensure the players don't allow this to be a snippet into our next 12 months.

Desire and hunger are absolutely crucial for title success. I'm a firm believer that we have to keep that flame ignited in the players if we want to be in a title challenge again. It's still such an unknown whether the players will still have the fire in the belly. I don't think this season's CL performances were a good reflection of how we respond the next season, and that will always be in the back of my mind when thinking about whether we can be in a PL title challenge next season. Fergy was an absolute master of having some thing that made the players want and desire the championship the season after. Klopp and the players have to capture something similar.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I'm not going to agree with the inevitable throwaway remarks that we are already on the beach. I thought we were by far the better team early in the first half. I sincerely hope that isn't City's starting backline because we cut through them like a hot knife through butter on many occasions. That might seem an odd comment when we failed to score over 90 minutes, but I think we weren't very clinical at all today which allowed the City defence to get away with it.

The main issue tonight was that there was little fight after the first goal went in. And practically none at all after the second. I've talked about this several times over the last few months, but there are many factors in becoming champions, and ability wouldn't even make up 50% of it. There are going to be a shit tonne of posts tonight and over the next week demanding we go heavy in the transfer market based on the evidence of this performance. That IMO is rubbish. What we lacked tonight was the hunger, desire, pride to fight it out which aren't going to be solved in the transfer market. Those are almost certainly symptoms of having already won the league, and (visibly angry and upset) Klopp has to ensure the players don't allow this to be a snippet into our next 12 months.

Desire and hunger are absolutely crucial for title success. I'm a firm believer that we have to keep that flame ignited in the players if we want to be in a title challenge again. It's still such an unknown whether the players will still have the fire in the belly. I don't think this season's CL performances were a good reflection of how we respond the next season, and that will always be in the back of my mind when thinking about whether we can be in a PL title challenge next season. Fergy was an absolute master of having some thing that made the players want and desire the championship the season after. Klopp and the players have to capture something similar.
I hope Jurgen gave those lazy lads a slap. he has to keep them on their toes and there is not time or place for slackness, he will not tolerate complacency. Pep has got his lads focused most of the time.