• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 2/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 76’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [off 45’]

• Van Dijk

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 62’]

• Salah

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Firmino [off 62’]

• Mane [off 85’]

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 45’]

• Origi [on 62’]

• Keita [on 62’]

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Williams [on 76’]

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Minamino [on 85’]

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
As mentioned, displeased with the performance, but — from a glass half-full perspective — there was a time where I fully expected the season to be null-and-void. The fact that we got the title (which we fully fucking deserved!) and did so on our own merit is better than I would have thought in early March. Let City and the rest of the League celebrate our so-called "demise"...we have 86 points from 32 matches. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, you can bet the null-and-void brigade are celebrating tonight's result...fully exposing their agenda that they wanted us to believe was in the interest of "health and safety." :ROFLMAO: #frauds

jaffod

Suppose there'll be 2 camps after that. The "we're the champions, I don't give a fuck" camp and the other one. I'm in the other one. Wouldn't have minded if it was against a half-decent side like Wolves or Leicester but against those cunts? Nah, not for me. Don't think JK will be happy at all, he played a full strength team for a reason.

Genuine question...has there ever been another great side (and it is a great side) that has so many games when they literally can't buy a fucking goal? Said it loads of times before, we're all or nothing, we could play until midnight in some matches and still not score. Tonight was one of those matches. Extenuating circumstances maybe but it never goes away.

No doubt we'll rattle in 4 or 5 against Villa. If it wasn't for the fact we could still win all 19 home games I don't think I'd be arsed after that.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Well, that was shite.

Had the title race still been on, I’d have been livid with that display. Then again, we almost certainly wouldn’t have been so poor had there been anything to play for. Even so, we were well below par and, given Jürgen’s pre-match comments that we would give our very best, this has to go down as our worst performance in a long time... well, since Watford, at least.

I must admit that before the game I thought that Guardiola might field a weakened team- they can’t catch us now and aren’t being threatened for second place, so it’s the sort of game where they could give their fringe players a run-out and save their first-teamers from the ignominy of having to give us the guard of honour. It’s the sort of thing Petulant Pep might do, but I don’t think the knuckle-draggers like Karen7 on Bluemoon would ever let him live it down.

Anyway, after the halfhearted guard of honour offered by the deposed champions, we were by far the better team until the opening goal, despite Gary Neville’s KDB wankfest. Bobby should have done a lot better when Ederson saved Salah’s shot in the fourth minute, while Mané wasted a good headed opportunity soon afterwards- he was possibly unsighted at the time. Lovely work from Salah when he was unlucky to hit the post a few minutes later, too.

Sadio also spurned a good chance soon after the restart- had he not been a devout Muslim, I would have sworn that he was playing with a hangover. I’m sure that City would have been awarded the penalty had the foul on Divock in the 73rd minute been the other way around, but what do you expect with a Manc in charge?

In a way, this reminded me of our Champions League defeat at home by Atletico- we created loads but our opponents took their chances. Quite simply, we could easily have scored two or three goals but didn’t. Solution? Mbappé.

A bit of a harsh penalty decision- Sterling clearly grabbed Joe’s shirt first- but Gomez shouldn’t have given the referee a decision to make- just stand up against your man; there’s no reason to put an arm around him. You just know that any Premier League referee will give a decision against Liverpool whenever possible- don’t make it easy for them.

Gomez didn’t cover himself in glory for the second goal, either, while it’s not often that I agree with Ratboy but he was right in saying that Robbo looked like he’d been out on the lash all week for City’s third. Robbo went AWOL again for City’s fourth, where Ox was unlucky. Even Alisson was poor today.

We’re going to have to endure the “City are back!” rubbish now; easy solution- switch off the TV. On the bright side, the hype surrounding City will push our odds out for next season’s title, so it’s time to fill yer boots.

MOTM: Me- for helping my other half in the kitchen and ensuring that dinner was ready in time for the match. At least I had some lovely roast halibut tonight.
Think you have pretty much covered my issues.
firstly its okay for sterling to grab hold of Gomez’s shirt and then fall down at the slightest touch from Gomez. I admit it wasn't great defending but a CB is never gonna (Maybe apart from Luiz) throw himself to the floor when an attacker grabs his shirt, it is definitely in favour of the attacker.

anyhow, we are champions. So although painful, it wont add increased pressure on our remaining games.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
we can't sit on our laurels. 0-4! man city has fired the first warning shot. we need to strengthen our squad despite having many promising youngsters.
:oops:
I don't understand this. Same squad that set a record winning the league with 7 weeks left, lots of depth on the bench. Was an off night in a match that really means nothing other than a run out. No injuries that I saw.

They're just waiting for the trophy at this point

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Started well, could and should have been a couple ahead before the peno. Gomez was naive. Robertson for the second and third goal was like a hyperactive child chasing the ice cream man. No idea what he was doing charging out of position like that and we got duly punished.
Highlight was our subs did well, bar Origi.

It was a one off and was probably half expected but I reckon they will be in a world of hurt tomorrow at training!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
In all seriousness, if there's anything riding on that game we don't play like that. The issue tonight wasn't effort, it was the lack of consequence. We tried to out-football City and paid the price. If there was anything riding on the game we would have been more compact and looked to hit them on the break exactly like Chelsea did last week instead of trying to press them high up the park at every opportunity.

That, combined with too many sloppy performances, killed us. The back 5 barring Van Dijk were utterly terrible.

Let Keita free from now on, he was the only bright spark of the night. If we were going to play that kind of open game then Keita would have been perfect from the start.

Clive

Glimpse of next season with Trent performing an unannounced audition for a midfield role? Wasn’t playing fullback, that’s for sure.

Seriously.... at least there are some things to take from that - motivation to play city next time for starters. We will obviously need to keep rolling, working just as hard and building the squad heading into next season.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
In all seriousness, if there's anything riding on that game we don't play like that. The issue tonight wasn't effort, it was the lack of consequence. We tried to out-football City and paid the price. If there was anything riding on the game we would have been more compact and looked to hit them on the break exactly like Chelsea did last week instead of trying to press them high up the park at every opportunity.

That, combined with too many sloppy performances, killed us. The back 5 barring Van Dijk were utterly terrible.

Let Keita free from now on, he was the only bright spark of the night. If we were going to play that kind of open game then Keita would have been perfect from the start.
Completely agree with this. It was nothing like the Anfield performance where we sat deep and picked them off on the counter. We went toe to toe and that's a high risk strategy against City. There were some truly terrible individual performances tonight but I think JK is probably more angry with himself than the players. Once they beat the press we were wide open and they were always going to punish us eventually.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
10 goals conceded without reply on the road. That's a fucking insane stat for a team as good as this and it needs putting right.
Our last 10 matches: WLWLLWLDWL.

I think we've hit the inevitable form slump.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Completely agree with this. It was nothing like the Anfield performance where we sat deep and picked them off on the counter. We went toe to toe and that's a high risk strategy against City. There were some truly terrible individual performances tonight but I think JK is probably more angry with himself than the players. Once they beat the press we were wide open and they were always going to punish us eventually.
It is also nothing like our 2-1 loss last year. More like the 4-1 victory at the Etihad years back.

We are too good now too have to play like that, and City are too good to play against in that fashion. Tonight was Liverpool trying to play like Champions, not Liverpool playing the percentages.

Falcon51

Strike Hard, Strike Fast, Strike to Win
Yep, the team and us fans got our long awaited Guard Of Honor———followed by a——- ROYAL ASS KICKING!
I still love our Boys, but Jesus, maybe less partying next time before a match!