• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 2/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 76’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [off 45’]

• Van Dijk

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 62’]

• Salah

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Firmino [off 62’]

• Mane [off 85’]

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 45’]

• Origi [on 62’]

• Keita [on 62’]

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Williams [on 76’]

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Minamino [on 85’]

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaffod

That guard of honour was pretty shambolic from City. Did not feel that there were any heartfelt respects. No wonder why Murphy was mouthing off the other day.
Agreed, and that's what I'd expect from a shower of fucking arrogant mercanaries. They've shown no respect to anyone over the last decade, just a fucking vile, disgusting group of cunts who believe they can do whatever they want with no consequences.
That's one of the reasons I'm pissed off after that result, anywhere else and I wouldn't be arsed but against them? Nah, fuck that.

nikz200

That guard of honour was pretty shambolic from City. Did not feel that there were any heartfelt respects. No wonder why Murphy was mouthing off the other day.
Murphy was also saying that our midfielders couldn't lace the boots of Kevin De Bruyne and thats why the guard of honour is nonsense, is that your trying to say too?

RedLar

Took a right bollocking from some for suggesting we might not win this in the prematch thread. Actually, closing words were - "we'll have to play well to take 3 points". Merely suggesting what surely anyone who's kicked a football thought was entirely possible.

Holy fuck. That was clinical in large parts. Disappointing.

Missed some early opportunities, hit the post, would have changed the outcome possibly. City missed fuck all. Good side.

Last edited:

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Murphy was also saying that our midfielders couldn't lace the boots of Kevin De Bruyne and thats why the guard of honour is nonsense, is that your trying to say too?
Please do not put words in my mouth. What Murphy said was unforgivable. I am stating that he was mouthing off. No need to be so pissed off with the folks in the forum.

Flobs

FADA
Disappointing.
Still it's easy to say stay concentrated but to actually do so when your champions must be difficult.
They kept their structure we lost ours and our strike force were on holiday.

Last edited:

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
Took a right bollocking from some for suggesting we might not win this in the prematch thread. Merely suggesting what surely many thought was entirely possible, given the upbeat jocularity in that thread.

Holy fuck. That was clinical in large parts. Disappointing.

Missed some early opportunities, hit the post, would have changed the outcome possibly. City missed fuck all. Good side.
Hardly a bollocking mate but what do you expect,we've just won the title in a fashion thats never been done before,we have a 50/50 chance of beating our main rival,with most people (myself included) positive we could have got something out of the game,then you post all negative about we ain't going to win and people are only posting to get likes.

Hands up,they did us like a kipper,i was hopeful for a result and thought we'd get one but i never thought for one minute they couldn't beat us.

Only thing i'm pissed off about is the scoreline,it was never a 4-0 drubbing type of result,clinical and lucky finishing,plus fine margins won it for them,on another day,we could have been 3-0 up before they even got a sniff.

Hey ho,thats the way these games go,fuck it,Villa next.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I agree with Nikz in that the criticism of Murphy has nothing to do with him not liking the guard of honour. Its that he said nobody in the Liverpool team is fit to lace KDB's laces so why should he show respect to their title win? Anyway, DM, is a bitter old man that was never a true red and we should stop giving his opinions oxygen.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
I read that it's up to the team to give the guard of honour. If they do not feel like giving the respect, they should not do it, as it can be seen with not much effort by Man C players (don't really blame them, I don't think we would be too enthusiastic in clapping our opposition walking onto the pitch with any gusto neither, and we won't be doing that as we will be the champ for the next little while! :) ). Hendo had his usual laser focus on the game, he probably thought that the Man C players standing there was a distraction.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
The whole point of the guard of honour is to show respect to the winning TEAM,it's not about individual players and never has been,infact it's also about the loser showing how much of a good team sportsman they are,to be honest,they shouldn't exist in football,save it for rugby and keep it away from these whiny little bitches.Obviously these footballers and pundits don't understand it.

Plamen

I am so glad Citeh wasnt able to get the 5th goal.And for all the Citeh fans celebrating I have one thing to say - You won a dead rubber.When it really mattered you got destroyed at Anfield.Enjoy your meaningless victory and reducing the point gap to only 20 points.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I was so looking forward to this, I couldn't get asleep until I switched off the alarm about 2:30 and descended into the land of nod. Woke up when it was all over. Seems like a wise choice I made there.

I'm sure we'll see a very different performance on Sunday when all the hangovers will have worn off.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Fine lines changed the outcome.
Mo hitting the post and Mane not converting the rebound.
Water break (wtf is that all about?) should have been called at 22 1/2 minutes, Ref allowed a throw in to be taken on 23 minutes, a move which led to the penalty.

Otherwise not remotely arsed.

I liked the Klopp comment about defending the title next season, saying we're not going to defend it we're going to attack it.

Last nights result is so far down my list of concerns.

nikz200

The headline is we are absolutely trashed , lots of colourful language and what not. For me the result today is not important, because the title is ours, its the performances that matter from now till the end of the season. Everyone can talk about playing the kids and what not , but today we played our strongest XI on paper. So to lose by 4 goals? Thats unacceptable as the current champions of england.

Now obviously there is the caveat that we started the game well, so i wouldn't say its all bad, but people acting like our team is the greatest team in all of history right now need to check themselves and realise, this is the real Man City and the level of opposition we will face all of next season. Having pockets of good form in games like this and then getting countered and defeated could be a frequent occurrence next season. But even with that, we need to counter it by creating more chances and attacking and being more clinical. If we had scored a early goal in this game, i am sure the pressure would have switched to city to push forward and we could have attacked them with more frequency. Instead we gave Foden and De bruyne so much time.

Despite all this, obviously if you would give me the title over winning at the etihad , every one of us would take it. But we cannot dismiss this for what it is. Its a staunch warning for the boys and Jurgen for next season and the remaining games till the end of the season. Every defeat we have suffered this season has been magnified by the press and our rivals. I would argue we should heed that and crush the remaining teams without mercy.

Still waiting for Minamino to score a goal for us...........

Neukolln

Ad-free Member

The headline is we are absolutely trashed , lots of colourful language and what not. For me the result today is not important, because the title is ours, its the performances that matter from now till the end of the season. Everyone can talk about playing the kids and what not , but today we played our strongest XI on paper. So to lose by 4 goals? Thats unacceptable as the current champions of england.

Now obviously there is the caveat that we started the game well, so i wouldn't say its all bad, but people acting like our team is the greatest team in all of history right now need to check themselves and realise, this is the real Man City and the level of opposition we will face all of next season. Having pockets of good form in games like this and then getting countered and defeated could be a frequent occurrence next season. But even with that, we need to counter it by creating more chances and attacking and being more clinical. If we had scored a early goal in this game, i am sure the pressure would have switched to city to push forward and we could have attacked them with more frequency. Instead we gave Foden and De bruyne so much time.

Despite all this, obviously if you would give me the title over winning at the etihad , every one of us would take it. But we cannot dismiss this for what it is. Its a staunch warning for the boys and Jurgen for next season and the remaining games till the end of the season. Every defeat we have suffered this season has been magnified by the press and our rivals. I would argue we should heed that and crush the remaining teams without mercy.

Still waiting for Minamino to score a goal for us...........
Sound post and I pretty much agree start to finish.

The only thing I’ll say regarding Taki, it’s really difficult to score a goal coming on in the 85th minute already down 4-0. I didn’t at all understand waiting that long and mentioned it in the match thread. By then, what exactly was the point? Just let Sadio run out the remaining 5 minutes. Taki was also pulled at halftime last week in a less than obvious substitution. I’m hoping JK gives him a FULL 90 in one of these last matches. I love Taki as a player and I believe he deserves to find his game (just like everyone else) if he’s going to be counted on as a meaningful squad player.

Ron Swanson

Very torn with what I feel, half of me bitterly disappointed in our display I thought we would at least give them a match the other half thinks you are hungover as fuck lads after a sessions and a half and well deserved so who gives a fuck it was a nothing game.

Weird feeling losing like that but also not given a rally arse about it as well.