Post Match: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 2/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 76’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez [off 45’]

• Van Dijk

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 62’]

• Salah

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Firmino [off 62’]

• Mane [off 85’]

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 45’]

• Origi [on 62’]

• Keita [on 62’]

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Williams [on 76’]

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Minamino [on 85’]

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweeting

In all seriousness, if there's anything riding on that game we don't play like that. The issue tonight wasn't effort, it was the lack of consequence. We tried to out-football City and paid the price. If there was anything riding on the game we would have been more compact and looked to hit them on the break exactly like Chelsea did last week instead of trying to press them high up the park at every opportunity.

That, combined with too many sloppy performances, killed us. The back 5 barring Van Dijk were utterly terrible.

Let Keita free from now on, he was the only bright spark of the night. If we were going to play that kind of open game then Keita would have been perfect from the start.
Yeah everyone knows the blueprint to beating City is to be solid and deep then hit their flanks on the counter attack. We seemed to be experimenting with the high line and high press just to see if we could possibly do it which was pretty ambitious, especially given that we have already won the league and mentally it would be almost impossible to not be affected by that in some way.

Klopp probably saw it as a free swing.

As you said, if we needed a result there to win the league we would have sat deeper and picked our press with more patience.

The Man City fans I know, who are usually incredibly bitter and hateful towards Liverpool, even said they think we were fucking about a bit and the game wouldn't have gone that way in a meaningful match.

Noo Noo

Yeah everyone knows the blueprint to beating City is to be solid and deep then hit their flanks on the counter attack. We seemed to be experimenting with the high line and high press just to see if we could possibly do it which was pretty ambitious, especially given that we have already won the league and mentally it would be almost impossible to not be affected by that in some way.

Klopp probably saw it as a free swing.

As you said, if we needed a result there to win the league we would have sat deeper and picked our press with more patience.

The Man City fans I know, who are usually incredibly bitter and hateful towards Liverpool, even said they think we were fucking about a bit and the game wouldn't have gone that way in a meaningful match.
That's a really interesting perspective and actually makes a lot of sense. I feel more comfortable thinking about it in that way.

But it's still unusual for use to be caught on the break that easily that often. We're used to teams sitting deep against us and trying to break. Very few have had any success at it until last night.

Wilkored08

Good Morning chaps and chapessess....well that was a load of poo wasn't it....couldn't believe it...so no other top 4 teams have been beat, shitty: how many games lost this season alone: anyway I think I said last night...yes we got beat( iffy pen calls/post etc...) Too much celebrating me thinks...let's go on Sunday...show em who we are...and yes we are Premier League Champions...

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Thing is the reaction to it is more important, if they do a carbon copy on Sunday then they really do need a boot up the arse.

Anyhow Sterling may have held the shirt for 2-3 seconds but Gomez bear hugs him for about 10, I even said let the fuck go it was that long a period.

If it wasn’t stupid he wouldn’t have been canned at half time, Klopp saw how bad he was. Anyhow I’d start Neco and Naby at the weekend.

Salah looked ok to be fair and If Mane would have finished them it would have been fine, at one point it was 3-2 on shots on target and 3-0 on the score line, which says how clinical they were.

Thing is bar potentially Arsenal we won’t play a team that plays that open for the rest of the season, maybe it will be easier to play the teams that defend, at least they will have time on the ball.

I want this season to beat our top points total, even if doesn’t make a hundred, not fizzle out.

Sweeting

That's a really interesting perspective and actually makes a lot of sense. I feel more comfortable thinking about it in that way.

But it's still unusual for use to be caught on the break that easily that often. We're used to teams sitting deep against us and trying to break. Very few have had any success at it until last night.
No other team in the league has the ability to pick off a high line like Man City. Kevin De Bruyne is the best in the league with line breaking passes and Sterling and Mahrez are excellent at running in behind - Jesus too to a lesser extent.

They're simply too good a team to play a high line against away from home. Maybe Klopp was testing City for next season, maybe he was challenging our lads to do something really hard to keep their brains engaged, maybe he just wanted to see if he could make a statement by going to City and playing them off the park. Whatever the reasons it didn't work obviously as City proved themselves to still be a quality team.

Doesn't have any bearing on next season though as we simply wouldn't play such a cavalier style in any other circumstance.

FGred

It is not nice to lose especially not to shitty lot but it might be a blessing in disguise as Klopp will kick arse and make sure we finish this season properly and start the new one at full speed. If shitty lose their next game and we thrash villa everyone will give them an excuse that they put a lot of effort against us. We are the champions and make no mistake we will finish like champions.
last week when I saw Robbo celebrating hard I had a funny feeling that that would affect them for their next match contrast that last year when they lost the league but JK did not let up and they went and won the CL. YNWA

Billy Stevo's left boot

Born in L5, live in L4, support one L of a team
That performance and result may indeed turn out to be a blessing in disguise, you can’t afford to rest on your laurels in this game, when you stand still you are essentially moving backwards.
Sustained success is always a work in progress. We stayed at the top for so long in the 70’s and 80’s because we didn’t let success go to our heads and we constantly improved the team.
The players have had a lot of plaudits over the last week or so and rightly so, what they have done not just this season but over the last 2 and a half years has been nothing short of phenomenal, last night was a reminder though that if we want to stay at the top then we’ve got a massive job on our hands.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
No other team in the league has the ability to pick off a high line like Man City. Kevin De Bruyne is the best in the league with line breaking passes and Sterling and Mahrez are excellent at running in behind - Jesus too to a lesser extent.

They're simply too good a team to play a high line against away from home. Maybe Klopp was testing City for next season, maybe he was challenging our lads to do something really hard to keep their brains engaged, maybe he just wanted to see if he could make a statement by going to City and playing them off the park. Whatever the reasons it didn't work obviously as City proved themselves to still be a quality team.

Doesn't have any bearing on next season though as we simply wouldn't play such a cavalier style in any other circumstance.
Another thing to mention is that trying to play like that against City with Ederson in goal and Laporte at centre back is suicidal. If you swapped them for Bravo and Otamendi we'd have won that game 10-0 (exaggerating, but only slightly).

I couldn't believe how much space De Bruyne was getting. In some ways the perfromance of Fabinho summed it up, he had an excellent game with his pressing high up and use of the ball but he couldn't get anywhere near De Bruyne and didn't protect the back 4 at all.

The coaches will use the game as a learning experience for the future, how City can dismantle you if you get too sloppy on certain things. Klopp and Carragher made the point on the Gomez/Sterling penalty that Sterling should have had a Liverpool player in front of him and Gomez should never have been left alone for so long there. That's one of the points that I'm sure will be getting drilled into them for future reference.

Sweeting

The coaches will use the game as a learning experience for the future, how City can dismantle you if you get too sloppy on certain things. Klopp and Carragher made the point on the Gomez/Sterling penalty that Sterling should have had a Liverpool player in front of him and Gomez should never have been left alone for so long there. That's one of the points that I'm sure will be getting drilled into them for future reference.
Yeah Henderson turns the wrong way and isn't helping Gomez. Although normally Gomez doesn't make those mistakes anyway, it was just an off game.

phil smith

Not a lot I can say. Good first 20 minutes then just fell apart. Possibly Allison’s worst game of his career both full backs poor and toothless up front. Henderson gave a 100% right until the end. One to put behind us and finish this crazy season.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular

We also played against an unusual football team yesterday. When you press against City it has to be spot on, and when you lose the ball you have to be in position to stop them from counter attacking. Like Klopp said: we lost the ball in the wrong moments i.e. when we weren't in position to deal with it. If you're not close to perfect, they play through you.

For me the game simply showed how good City are, and what they can do to any team if their opponent is having a slightly off day where the margins don't go their way. It's not something we didn't already know; we knew this could happen. The team that wins these games usually have the margins going their way. In the end it wasn't about that, but I think it was up until the third goal.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I was a bit surprised that no one had a pop from distance as Ederson was often way off his line looking for the opportunity to rush out and tackle someone..

Incognito

The Normal One
I was a bit surprised that no one had a pop from distance as Ederson was often way off his line looking for the opportunity to rush out and tackle someone..
Think Robbo tried it somewhere in the first half although it ended up being a mix of cross and shot.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Well that just sucked.

However, I got up this morning, checked the standings, and you’ll never believe this: City still can’t get enough points to catch us!!!

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Well, that was shite.

Had the title race still been on, I’d have been livid with that display. Then again, we almost certainly wouldn’t have been so poor had there been anything to play for. Even so, we were well below par and, given Jürgen’s pre-match comments that we would give our very best, this has to go down as our worst performance in a long time... well, since Watford, at least.

I must admit that before the game I thought that Guardiola might field a weakened team- they can’t catch us now and aren’t being threatened for second place, so it’s the sort of game where they could give their fringe players a run-out and save their first-teamers from the ignominy of having to give us the guard of honour. It’s the sort of thing Petulant Pep might do, but I don’t think the knuckle-draggers like Karen7 on Bluemoon would ever let him live it down.

Anyway, after the halfhearted guard of honour offered by the deposed champions, we were by far the better team until the opening goal, despite Gary Neville’s KDB wankfest. Bobby should have done a lot better when Ederson saved Salah’s shot in the fourth minute, while Mané wasted a good headed opportunity soon afterwards- he was possibly unsighted at the time. Lovely work from Salah when he was unlucky to hit the post a few minutes later, too.

Sadio also spurned a good chance soon after the restart- had he not been a devout Muslim, I would have sworn that he was playing with a hangover. I’m sure that City would have been awarded the penalty had the foul on Divock in the 73rd minute been the other way around, but what do you expect with a Manc in charge?

In a way, this reminded me of our Champions League defeat at home by Atletico- we created loads but our opponents took their chances. Quite simply, we could easily have scored two or three goals but didn’t. Solution? Mbappé.

A bit of a harsh penalty decision- Sterling clearly grabbed Joe’s shirt first- but Gomez shouldn’t have given the referee a decision to make- just stand up against your man; there’s no reason to put an arm around him. You just know that any Premier League referee will give a decision against Liverpool whenever possible- don’t make it easy for them.

Gomez didn’t cover himself in glory for the second goal, either, while it’s not often that I agree with Ratboy but he was right in saying that Robbo looked like he’d been out on the lash all week for City’s third. Robbo went AWOL again for City’s fourth, where Ox was unlucky. Even Alisson was poor today.

We’re going to have to endure the “City are back!” rubbish now; easy solution- switch off the TV. On the bright side, the hype surrounding City will push our odds out for next season’s title, so it’s time to fill yer boots.

MOTM: Me- for helping my other half in the kitchen and ensuring that dinner was ready in time for the match. At least I had some lovely roast halibut tonight.
So I was enjoying this post as I read it as it was a great recap of the match - until I got to the halibut part at the end - and that freaked me out - cause I made halibut too last night -

But...to the match
4-0? it should never have been 4-0 - we played like champs before the first goal - it was almost as if we were going to do to City what we did to Crystal Palace - and we could have had 1 or 2 - the penalty was soft - so 4-0? it should never have been 4-0
and.....
of course the result doesn't matter as we are the greatest football team in the world, europe and england
but......
the result does kinda matter -
and....
4-0?!! Really?! We let in 4 and didn't score - that's crap just crap -

Danny_

Lets not over-react. If Salah's shot had gone in at the start, it would have been a very different game. Up to the dodgy penalty they got, we were by far the better team. Then they picked us off the same way that we normally do to them - on the break. And we had to try to force it.

But it does highlight that there probably is no real gap between us and City. If they buy a top class CB, they are probably better than us next season again unless we go out and do the same. Their attack is better than ours. They also have more strength in depth. If we even just went out and bought Coutinho back from Barca, I think we can beat them again next season. If we don't, we need a lot of things to go our way again. But Klopp is a magiciian so you would never want to write him off

Alright Now

Lets not over-react. If Salah's shot had gone in at the start, it would have been a very different game. Up to the dodgy penalty they got, we were by far the better team. Then they picked us off the same way that we normally do to them - on the break. And we had to try to force it.

But it does highlight that there probably is no real gap between us and City. If they buy a top class CB, they are probably better than us next season again unless we go out and do the same. Their attack is better than ours. They also have more strength in depth. If we even just went out and bought Coutinho back from Barca, I think we can beat them again next season. If we don't, we need a lot of things to go our way again. But Klopp is a magiciian so you would never want to write him off
Tbf there is a real 20 point gap without Coutinho.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Loved this on the Anfield Wrap Review Show from Sean Rodgers.

There are two thing, If I were Man City, that would make me very nervous about last night. One is Jordan Henderson, in that, when you see Jordan Henderson’s performance and attitude in the second Half that is why Liverpool will be champions next year, in my view. And when you see Jurgen Klopp post Match, we ain’t going anywhere. Because it would be very easy for him to come out and go ‘look, we’ve won the league and they are an amazing team...’ you know what I mean? That a guy who has sat on the touch line and despite having every reason like a lot of fans last night to go, well it doesn’t matter does it, he was raging . There is a fire burning inside him and the captain, which...you know there was a Kevin De Bruyne love in last night? As a fan ask me who I want, and I want De Bruyne. As a coach, or when I had dressing rooms? Give me Jordan Henderson over Kevin De Bruyne every day of the week. Given done money, you can go and get technical ability anywhere you want. But if you say ‘you make this tackle and win the league, but you out for three years’ Henderson makes that tackle. Kevin de Bruyne ain’t making that tackle. Kevin de Bruyne ain’t digging you out when your away at Norwich. Manchester City have got that record this year for a reason, and it’s not as simple as making a signing. There is a problem in there in terms of mentality. They haven’t got the hunger, they haven’t got the personalities, they haven’t got the leadership that we’ve got. You can’t solved that with money.

Magnus

Not going to lie, yesterday hurt a bit. I was obviously hoping for 2 wins in 2 against the second placed opponent to dispel discussion on who is really best. I dont mind a close loss against them but 4-0 and them being so much better yesterday hurt a bit.
Obviously silver linings for them, but it was silver linings i really didnt want them to have.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
@Mascot88

I really liked that review show. Primarily because it cut through the 'on the ale' nonsense. And that's also what I'd expect from that particular show.

About the bit you quoted: I've been putting City's season down to a sort of mental fatigue. After going at a 100-point pace for two years, I'm guessing it's a natural reaction for a squad to experience a slight drop, to regroup before they're fully ready again. And personally I'm sort of expecting a reaction from our guys next season, after what they've done the last two seasons. If they can do this again, a third time, it'll be quite astonishing to me.

But it was interesting to hear that bit from Rodgers, thinking the mentality and hunger will be there to go again. And hopefully he's right about the mentality of this team being different to City's, and that they manage to bring the same focus into next season.

Plamen

Not going to lie, yesterday hurt a bit. I was obviously hoping for 2 wins in 2 against the second placed opponent to dispel discussion on who is really best. I dont mind a close loss against them but 4-0 and them being so much better yesterday hurt a bit.
Obviously silver linings for them, but it was silver linings i really didnt want them to have.
There is no such discussion.If anyone believes that a side that have lost 8 games this season and have dropped 30 points is better than a side that have won the league with 7 games to go they should stop watching football.

Magnus

There is no such discussion.If anyone believes that a side that have lost 8 games this season and have dropped 30 points is better than a side that have won the league with 7 games to go they should stop watching football.
Sure, but I losing with 4 still hurt.