• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Red over the water

If you want to talk about Aguero's opener why not say something about Allison.
Then the comments that he didn't react quick enough then say he wasn't close enough is contradictory. It has to be one or the other.
I think Aguero was brilliant and not many defenders would have made much difference nor many goalkeepers for that matter.
Aguero smashed the ball into a tiny gap, Alisson had his hand up next to the ball and it went past him. Usually you don’t want the goalkeeper to get beat at the near post, but that was a great hit from close range.

I stand by my comment on Lovren in that instance, I didn’t think he reacted fast enough and Aguero got to the cross before him. Arguably Lovren slightly fell asleep as Aguero was on the he ground from the Van Dijk challenge just before, and he let him get away. Then the error was compounded because Lovren wasn’t tight enough, in my eyes. If the striker is on the run then fine, stand off a bit. But in this instance Aguero only had the tightest of margins to aim for, and if Lovren was tighter he would have blocked the shot.

Aguero is a world class striker and the goal was mostly down to his quality, but in looking at ourselves and what we could have done better, I thought Lovren could have done better.

Lovren also made several other mistakes during the game that almost led to goals.

He is a decent player, but not world class. He is very good for a 3/4 choice central defender, but Gomez is now comfortably better, and his career is just getting going. At Lovren’s age you don’t want any mistakes. He should be spreading calm. But it’s not there.

Last edited:

kopend79

Joey barton claimed that Mario balotelli was the biggest myth in world football. Im saying Hendo as a defensive midfielder is the biggest myth going around.
Before every big game theres constant talk about how much we need Hendos protection and control in the middle but in most of those games he offers very little of both.
Hendo looks better when he plays his natural game and with Fabinho here now, i dont think he should be starting big games in that role.
Fabinho, gini and shaq is our best midfield combo in my opinion and should be starting most games if available.
Still in great position just got to bounce straight back.

Flobs

FADA
On the bright side , The only positive I see is that maybe......, just maybe, Klopp has now got to realize that the shit that is Milner/Hendo /Gini midfield is not what will win us the title .
It didn't work tonight because Wijnaldums role was cancelled out by City's energy and determination.
Wijnaldum floats about picking up those loose balls created by Henderson, Milner, TAA and Robertson. He just wasn't energetic or determined enough tonight and City were picking up those balls. I admit our game looks better to me with Henderson and Fabinho and also allows a plyer like Shaquiri or Sturridge to get a run.

Magnus

On the bright side , The only positive I see is that maybe......, just maybe, Klopp has now got to realize that the shit that is Milner/Hendo /Gini midfield is not what will win us the title .
Absurd.
In many, many games of this season they have been hailed as amazing and this performance would have been a win and not a loss against 90%, at least, of the other teams in the league. And you call them shit ? We collectively could not stand up to the spectacular tempo Manchester City unleashed today, and that did make our midfield look weak, but we were always in the game and could have drawn. It was not as if the midfield was alone in struggling with the insane tempo either, Salah lost the ball all the time, due to City players pressing like ballistic missiles. We actually had good chances that missed the goal only slightly. It is no shame to lose against Manchester City when they put in this incredible tempo. We can still win the league! We actually lead with 4 points as well, which would have been absolutely impossible if our midfield was shit...

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
The better team won, but I wonder if they would have if we'd started with a different midfield? Fabhino has to start every league and CL game from now on and I think Henderson should be the one to make way.
Too many players were overawed by the occasion and just didn't compete.
I know this a knee jerk reaction but there are some players from the starting lineup that I would drop for the next game or two to see if it has a positive effect on them. Obviously Lovren would be top of that list.
Being positive, we're still four points clear and have played most our games against the rest of the top six. We can still afford a few draws so long as our rivals also take points of each other.
I agree - that would have been the midfield that I would have started with
But on the second point - if you drop Lovren - who do you play instead? Isn't everyone else injured?

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Absurd.
In many, many games of this season they have been hailed as amazing and this performance would have been a win and not a loss against 90%, at least, of the other teams in the league. And you call them shit ? We collectively could not stand up to the spectacular tempo Manchester City unleashed today, and that did make our midfield look weak, but were always in the game and could have drawn. It was not as if the midfield was alone in struggling with the insane tempo either, Salah lost the ball all the time, due to City players pressing like ballistic missiles. We actually had good chances that missed the goal only slightly. It is no shame to lose against Manchester City when they put in this incredible tempo. We can still win the league! We actually lead with 4 points as well, which would have been absolutely impossible if our midfield was shit...

I wouldn't say in many games. The maximum I can remember is about 3?

StevenAlonso

ManCity were for the taking today and for some weird reason we went for a Jose Mourinho type lineup and lost the game. That midfield 3 together are like 3 CDM's attracting constant pressure and the switch of play from defense to attract is too slow and tepid.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
I agree - that would have been the midfield that I would have started with
But on the second point - if you drop Lovren - who do you play instead? Isn't everyone else injured?
We could try Matip? After all, Matip haven't reached the number of games required for a brainfart to come along...

Edit: just realised Matip is injured again...

Last edited:

Keegans Perm

Getting a bit fed up of comments on this forum calling our midfield shit. The same players that have delivered one of the best starts of any team ever. Go and support united
It was the wrong midfield to start, simple. Every time we come up against a decent team its like a default selection for Klopp, because they are more industrious. We needed a more skillful midfield tonight. A midfield that got the ball and turned with it. Not one that shits themselves under a bit of pressure and passes it back to the centre backs which then goes back to the keeper because they arent offering themselves again. Wijnaldum plays much better without Henderson, its as clear as day to see that. Yes Fabinho has misplaced a few passes but his intention is to always look forward and create something where Henderson's is to play it safe. City were on the ropes. Look at whats happened to them recently when teams attack them, they crumble and concede goals. We set out to defend more than attack tonight and got what we deserved because of it.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
Aguero smashed the ball into a tiny gap, Alisson had his hand up next to the ball and it went past him. Usually you don’t want the goalkeeper to get beat at the near post, but that was a great hit from close range.

I stand by my comment on Lovren in that instance, I didn’t think he reacted fast enough and Aguero got to the cross before him. Arguably Lovren slightly fell asleep as Aguero was on the he ground from the Van Dijk challenge just before, and he let him get away. Then the error was compounded because Lovren wasn’t tight enough, in my eyes. If the striker is on the run then fine, stand off a bit. But in this instance Aguero on,y had the tightest of margins to aim for, and if Lovren was tighter he would have blocked it.

Aguero is a world class step,er and the goal was mostly down to his quality, but in looking at ourselves and what we could have done better, I thought Lovren could have done better.

Lovren also made several other mistakes during the game that almost led to goals.

He is a decent player, but not world class. He is very good for a 3/4 choice central defender, but Gomez is now comfortably better, and his career is just getting going. At Lovren’s age you don’t want any mistakes. He should be spreading calm. But it’s not there.
I thought he was caught flat footed but that in itself doesn't deserve the flak (many defenders are often caught like that). I realise it is fuelled by what Lovren has (or should I say hasn't) done in the past but really at some time people have just got to drop this and focus on the game at hand. Picking a player out repeatedly like this doesn't do anything for the morale of the squad. We should be their to support them not distress them.
Let's take VVD he didn't play to the whistle again but noone but me mentions it but it's repeated circumstance against the same team and same player. This sort of thing should be picked out as it's somewhere a player can improve (and easily at that too). We al know Lovren is a confidence player so why try breaking his confidence? it makes no sense.
You might point out how I comment about Wijnaldum but it's just not the same as I pick out specific points that I don't like and would like to see him improve and more to the point their are many fans that feel the sun shines out of his arse. That just isn't the case for Lovren.
As for Allison yes you are correct because it was a fantastic play by Aguero Lovren flat footed or not (that's going in).

C

Caradoc

Absurd.
In many, many games of this season they have been hailed as amazing and this performance would have been a win and not a loss against 90%, at least, of the other teams in the league. And you call them shit ? We collectively could not stand up to the spectacular tempo Manchester City unleashed today, and that did make our midfield look weak, but we were always in the game and could have drawn. It was not as if the midfield was alone in struggling with the insane tempo either, Salah lost the ball all the time, due to City players pressing like ballistic missiles. We actually had good chances that missed the goal only slightly. It is no shame to lose against Manchester City when they put in this incredible tempo. We can still win the league! We actually lead with 4 points as well, which would have been absolutely impossible if our midfield was shit...

You must have been watching a different match to me.

Our midfield struggled for long periods of the first half. If we were in the game it was by our finger tips at times because our midfield was second best. When Fabinho came on it made a big difference. Milner looked shagged out when he walked off. I won’t say any more than that because I am not prepared to criticise Milner for that. The blame lies elsewhere.

I agree that the tone of the criticism is OTT but I don’t understand why that particular trio is played together. I think moving forward one out of Milner and Henderson has to stand down in favour of Fabinho. And on balance that player is probably Henderson.

Red over the water

Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum have done well this season and I’m not down on them at all. Before the game I said I wanted to see Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Keita. I think it offers more, and as the season unfolds I would imagine we will see more of Fabinho and Keita.

We just lost, narrowly, in the most difficult league game we will face all season. Man City needed it more and that told in a couple of percent application here and there, as well as that bit of luck.

We are still 4 points clear and it has been a great season so far. So long as we respond well, and I expect we will, I’m sure we will be fine.

Flobs

FADA
Which one do you want?

Budget option -
1.Manolas. Heard his release clause is €36m which is small change compared to VVD's price.

Luxury option -De Ligt
You propose buying a CB when we have Gomez, Lovren and Matip. Then you list CB's that I don't consider better than Gomez so what's the point?
Let's get through to the end of the season before splashing out on another CB and make do's and get behind what we have.
Let's face it after 1 loss isn't the time to go ape shit over 1 players 'clumsyness'.

Nur der BvB09

I am calm. City have looked nervous under pressure for the last few games and we put them under no pressure for 60 minutes.
I am calm. City have looked nervous under pressure for the last few games and we put them under no pressure for 60 minutes.
Go and replace Klopp mate you seem to know everything About Football.
Sitting in the soffa im an expert of my own aftermatch.
I quotet you cause you startet with such a bad plan and shit gameplan….Take a Football Team Coach them and be happy.
We weren t at our best today but still this expertslike advises must be more objective that s my Point!

Magnus

You must have been watching a different match to me.

Our midfield struggled for long periods of the first half. If we were in the game it was by our finger tips at times because our midfield was second best. When Fabinho came on it made a big difference. Milner looked shagged out when he walked off. I won’t say any more than that because I am not prepared to criticise Milner for that. The blame lies elsewhere.

I agree that the tone of the criticism is OTT but I don’t understand why that particular trio is played together. I think moving forward one out of Milner and Henderson has stand down in favour of Fabinho. And on balance that player is probably Henderson.
I think Fabinho is a better player too. But I also think that the reason why he does not start has to do with Klopp gradually massaging him into the first team. He sometimes plays extremely dangerous passes, and I think Klopp is afraid of those. But as for talent, he is better, I agree. As for the game, I have already said all I want to say about that. We were second best of the night and could not cope with the incredible tempo, which made us make too many mistakes. From my perspective, it was an amazing game to watch between two amazing teams and the best team of the nigh edged it. But really, it could have been a draw if the ball just bounced a bit differently. I just don't understand the harshness of the criticism that some (not you) have put forth and I find it embarrasing. Again, from my perspective, it was a performance that would have beaten most other teams, but it was not enough tonight.

In any case, I want to wish you and everyone else a good night with the reminder that more and far easier games will come :)

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
You propose buying a CB when we have Gomez, Lovren and Matip. Then you list CB's that I don't consider better than Gomez so what's the point?
Let's get through to the end of the season before splashing out on another CB and make do's and get behind what we have.
Let's face it after 1 loss isn't the time to go ape shit over 1 players 'clumsyness'.
Lovren always had the penchant to run his mouth off in the media only for it come back and haunt him which will inevitably break his fragile confidence.

We don't need a player that is better than gomez. We need a player that is as good as gomez technically, mentally stronger than Lovren and made up of sturdier stuff than Matip.

StevenAlonso

Getting a bit fed up of comments on this forum calling our midfield shit. The same players that have delivered one of the best starts of any team ever. Go and support united
Our midfield is quite good but the 3 midfielders who started together are all defensive minded players. Klopp got it wrong in this game as he keeps going back to this midfield combo who offer nothing attacking wise and can't hold on for a clean sheet. When you get neither why go for it? Our loss to Napoli was because of this, trip to PSG same midfield, Draw against Chelsea (we should have lost except for Sturridge's wonder goal) same midfield. Klopp got the starting lineup in the midfield wrong - plain and simple. No one is complaining against the midfielders we have but against the 3 starting together in a game which could have won the league. Its like live by the sword and die by it - why change your instincts and go for a negative formation and please don't tell me we would have lost 3-0 if we had not started Hendo/Milner/Gini together.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Dust as settled. Iv had a beer. I’m ready for bed.
It’s hard not to be happy being 4 points clear at this stage of the season.

But that midfield trio can’t play together. I said before the game we should start positive and we did the opposite. We played like we were scared.
On the few occasions we got the ball in dangerous areas we made their defence panic, but it was sporadic and not pressured enough. We gave them the incentive by playing a zero creative midfield. That meant the front three were starved of service. Salah and especially mane and firmino had little in the way of threat.
We basically nullified our own attack by starting so cautiously.
Wijnandum has been solid lately but with an out of sorts Henderson and coming back from injury Milner Wijnandum had one of his poorest games of late.
Once Fabinho came we looked more fluid but we were chasing for much of the game.
It’s annoying because I think the result was of our own making.
Lovren can’t handle pressure games it seems, hopefully Gomez will be back soon.
But now is the time to bounce back. We still have a buffer. Maybe it’ll tempt klopp to buy someone in January.
Either way, the title race is going to be high pressure week in week out now.

melbournered

They had the better of the game in the first half but we came back well in the second. As mentioned its a game of fine margins and as far as i'm concerned we could have easily snagged a draw. I don't get the negativity by some on here, did we not expect them to come out all guns blazing at home?
Not surprisingly Jurgen went with this midfield,it seems to be the one he trusts for the big games, but the question now is, will he use this midfield for the big games again?
Anyhow we are 4 points ahead , our destiny is in our hands and Jurgen will pick them up and get them focused again. Onwards and upwards fellas.

redaderry

Ok, for me, time to kick out the disappointment and put this in perspective.
The mood seems to be as if we just lost a final or got knocked out of a competition. This was just one more league match with the bonus that we're now finished playing the other best team in the league, and still in front at a fairly advanced stage. It's all about how we move on now and i have every faith in Klopp to steady the ship. Lets not forget also that bar Arsenal in 2003/4 (and i think Preston back in 400AD) every winner of the top flight league had got beaten in at least one match on the way to the title.

C

Caradoc

Lovren always had the penchant to run his mouth off in the media only for it come back and haunt him which will inevitably break his fragile confidence.

We don't need a player that is better than gomez. We need a player that is as good as gomez technically, mentally stronger than Lovren and made up of sturdier stuff than Matip.

We lost because the better team won on the night.

Lovren mouthing off to the media about unbeaten runs is typical Lovren but it had zero ...... I repeat ZERO ........ bearing on the outcome of tonight’s match or any subsequent match. Apparently that was down to Mane putting the wrong sock on each of his feet! ;-)

Some people need to look through the daily results and add up how many games finish 0-0. For the vast majority of goals it is possible to contrive a case against the defence or a defender or goalkeeper. But the reality is that conceding goals is a perfectly normal part of football just like scoring goals is ....... they are after all two sides of the same outcome.

Da Bulli

Last week I left the congregation of Doubters to join the house of Believers.

I am not going back.
Too right.
I've been waiting for this game. Couldn't give a shit about the result. I was more interested in assessing the psyche of the two teams.
It was their day. Yay for them.
But the whole stadium was shitting itself in the last 5 minutes begging for the final whistle.

This Liverpool team might not be the best in the league. But they are proving to be be the toughest to beat.

And that will win you the championship.