• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
No arguments here. If we'd battered them all game and they'd nicked one at the end that would have a pisser but not something to worry about. We were beaten by the better side tonight. Another cup final lost! Onwards.

Red over the water

Its all good! Agree it’s just an opinion - one I think is too strong based on the evidence, (to say they are shite) though I’m on the side of the debate that would like to see Fabinho and Keita phased in more and more now. Still, Hendo and Milner are good players and should be respected. And while I’m a big fat hypocrite and choking on my own words, I’ll even extend the same courtesy to Lovren!

Gutted we lost, but we’re still 4 points clear and going strong.

Flobs

FADA
Lovren always had the penchant to run his mouth off in the media only for it come back and haunt him which will inevitably break his fragile confidence.

We don't need a player that is better than gomez. We need a player that is as good as gomez technically, mentally stronger than Lovren and made up of sturdier stuff than Matip.
Who gives a fuck what a player says to the press (it's not as if the press keep it in context) and no it doesn't haunt Lovren it haunts you because you believe the media shit that turns around it. Ignoring something isn't ignorance following this type of horse shit is ignorant (and yes I'm accusing you and others of being ignorant and calling for some intelligent ignoring).

Above all what we need are supporters who know the difference between what's gone on in a game and what's said in the media.
At the moment we have 2 CB's fit (so one can say we could do with another) however surely such a situation should cause fans to get 100% behind the 2 we have not undermine them, no?
Even if we bring in a CB this window do you really think that will make a difference the next 10 matches. The new CB would have to go through Klopps vetting system and get snippets of match time here and there. Not many CB's have the qualities that VVD does.

liver1

It was an alright performance from us.

They stopped us playing, we stopped them playing and in the end it became a tight affair.

If we drew that game it wouldnt be an unfair result but they scored 2 good goals. We were 11mm away from taking the lead and thats a different game.

A loss away to City is not the end of the world. Its the hardest game of the year basically and 2-1 is means they only just edged it but edge it they did.

If they thumped us 3-1 or 4-1 that might have been more painful but they didnt. It was nip and tuck on their ground.

We move onto the next game.

yiannos33

Believe
Back to the race again. We could of made some distance between us and city,but that wasn’t the case.
We are still ahead by 4 points, which is not too bad. We just have less margin of errors than , if we had of gotten a result.
3-4 players had an off day today which cost us the game. Put that with the ref not giving a red card to Kompany which
was a clear red, and we lost our first game of the season.
We are still in the drivers seat.

Red over the water

I’m not a massive fan of Lovren but I don’t think we need another CB. We have four great options. I think VVD and Gomez have emerged as the best partnership, and Matip, before shoulder injury, was doing well.

If Lovren and/or Matip decide to move on at the end of the season, we can look at it again then. But I think we are strong at CB, and even with two injuries in that position it was a very narrow defeat to the champions at their place.

daggs001

TIA Youth Team
Mane just had to score. Game changes if he takes the chance. He misses way to often at this level.
During our great run in December, Mane was the standout under performer but our wins covered up his miserable showings. Eventually his misses were going to cost us. Probably harsh but he is a distinct level bellow Bobby and Mo in the forward 3. If we are to push on I think a pacy wide left attacking player during the January transfer window wouldn't hurt our chances. In the big games Mane is not dependable.

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
Back to the race again. We could of made some distance between us and city,but that wasn’t the case.
We are still ahead by 4 points, which is not too bad. We just have less margin of errors than , if we had of gotten a result.
3-4 players had an off day today which cost us the game. Put that with the ref not giving a red card to Kompany which
was a clear red, and we lost our first game of the season.
We are still in the drivers seat.
I think that lunge really rattled Salah and affected his game significantly. That was a genuine attempt to take him out, maybe even for the rest of the season. Horrible stuff and my previously high opinion of Kompany has dropped somewhat. Still, no injury and I think we would have got beaten fair and square regardless.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
To take that next step to being the best we need to be able to be comfortable against the press. We panicked in possession and let them dictate where they wanted us to play.

We missed both Gomez and Matip who have shown occasions that the are comfortable stepping out of defence with the ball and play a better vertical pass.
Also Once Fab came on he changed it and his presence seemes to make Hendo more confident in possession. I would now change to a 4 2 3 1 for all our games.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Listening to City players post match comments is interesting for me. They all talk of having just played the "perfect game" with "the best effort they've ever given" and everything had to be "perfect" and "unbelievable". Well that's quite a lot of "perfect" being thrown around and a heaping helping of superlatives to have only edged our boys 2-1 and the slimmest of margins, 1.1 centimeter margin to be exact.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Thought we were poor, especially Milner and Mané but the difference was that their ball against the post went in and ours did not, they where lucky. Shit happens, beat Brighton! Top of the league. :tongue:

Flobs

FADA
People going OTT and calling the Henderson/Milner/Wijnaldum midfield sh*t are wide of the mark. It is solid and has done well this season, and won plenty of games and points. So it obviously isn’t terrible. Not by a long way.

That said, something prompted Jürgen to spend the best part of £100M on two midfielders, even after the amazing CL run.

I think things are being done in an orderly fashion. The incumbents are good, but in time we will see more and more of the new boys until they become mainstays in the side. To my mind Fabinho offers what Henderson does, but with better forward passing. It has taken a while for him to get up to speed, and there have been mistakes, but he’s there now. It doesn’t mean he won’t ever make another mistake, but I think he is ready to play more often than not now. As for Keita, he has had a slow start too, and has also been hampered by one or two niggly injuries. When he is up to speed I fully expect to see his dribbling and speed on the turn in midfield opening teams up.

It remains to be seen but I think Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Keita will prove to be the better trio, but we can’t disrespect Henderson and Milner.
I think that Klopp took a risk with Milner tonight considering how heavy the pitch was. I still believe Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner are more than good enough for most matches.
Surely we have seen enough of Wijnaldum to say that in these high profile games he just hasn't got it and is the biggest risk in this type of game if all 3 are fully fit ((which tonight Milner was not) so effectively Klopp doubled our midfield risk factor (which isn't that high anyway).
From what I have seen Henderson and Fabinho have a very good understanding, Henderson is also useful due to the increased passing range he gives us (there's not another player in the EPL at present who has that range) and i love Fabinho's positve vertical passes. So for me these 2 should become central (fitness permitting). Then we have a nice choice of Shaquiri (my perference as things stand, Milner (nothing can replace experience), Kieta (the unknown is always tantalising), Wijnaldum (great in slower games without the pressure), Oxlade-Chamberlain (if he comes back as strong as before his injury he's a great option for the future).
It certainly will interest me how Klopp decides to go. We can see he's experimenting unfortunately I feel he is getting bogged down with injuries which is forcing him back into the shell he knows (at least for the 'big' matches).
What would interest me most (as some other options have been seen) is unleashing kieta with a Henderson/Fabinho backbone. Depending on Kieta that could frighten many (the same backbone with Shaquiri is scintillating for us to watch).

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Well, that game could've gone either way. Small margins.

We need to use this as motivation to go on another run. It's tight again at the top, especially with Spurs clsoing in as well. Just a shame we couldn't keep it to a draw, after the excellent team move for the equaliser.

Aguero - tired to cheat to fall for a penalty, and got lucky the ball ended up at his feet with Dejan faffing about.
Spurs are closing in. They are exactly where they were before the wolves game but they still have to go to City and play utd next week. Spurs aren't really in the title race

dockers_strike

City could afford to run themselves into the ground tonight, they dont play in the league again until 14 Jan, 2 days after we've played Brighton. Obviously both clubs have FA Cup games. I hope we jib the FA Cup.

C

Caradoc

BTW, I just want to make clear the 'shit, shit, shit, shit' comment at the end of my post match view, is how I feel about the result and not that the boys were shit.

Too late. You’ve been tried in your absence and found ...... ‘guilty’ ....... ! ;-)

I think that Klopp took a risk with Milner tonight considering how heavy the pitch was. I still believe Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner are more than good enough for most matches.
Surely we have seen enough of Wijnaldum to say that in these high profile games he just hasn't got it and is the biggest risk in this type of game if all 3 are fully fit (which tonight Milner was not) so effectively Klopp doubled our midfield risk factor (which isn't that high anyway).
From what I have seen Henderson and Fabinho have a very good understanding, Henderson is also useful due to the increased passing range he gives us (there's not another player in the EPL at present who has that range) and i love Fabinho's positve vertical passes. So for me these 2 should become central (fitness permitting). Then we have a nice choice of Shaquiri (my perference as things stand, Milner (nothing can replace experience), Kieta (the unknown is always tantalising), Wijnaldum (great in slower games without the pressure), Oxlade-Chamberlain (if he comes back as strong as before his injury he's a great option for the future).
It certainly will interest me how Klopp decides to go. We can see he's experimenting unfortunately I feel he is getting bogged down with injuries which is forcing him back into the shell he knows (at least for the 'big' matches).
What would interest me most (as some other options have been seen) is unleashing kieta with a Henderson/Fabinho backbone. Depending on Kieta that could frighten many (the same backbone with Shaquiri is scintillating for us to watch).

Go and have a lie down and sleep it off ....... ! ;-)

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Beaten by a better team on the day, we looked timid from the get go. Didnt play our natural game and in particular didnt move well enough without the ball to create space and give our mids and defenders passing options. Meant we had to go square or backwards far too often and they pressed us relentlessly and inevitably the pressure told.

All that said still could have nicked it and who knows the outcome had Mane finished off early which shows how good a team we are and how far weve come. They took two good chances with two excellent finishes and too me they wanted it more throughout.

Not the end of the world just need to rebound against Brighton and get back on track 4 points is still a nice cushion.

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
Disappointed but not worried. Bar that one time in 130 years, everyone eventually loses in a season. The test is how they respond to it.

4 points clear and a good run of fixtures to get momentum going again.

Flobs

FADA
Too late. You’ve been tried in your absence and found ...... ‘guilty’ ....... ! ;-)

Go and have a lie down and sleep it off ....... ! ;-)
I'm very comfortable thankyou, Caradoc. :-)
I am just having trouble understanding how shitty could have such a heavy shitty pitch even if they were shitting themselves with our arrival on there turf. :unhappy:

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
City went out there with only winning as their mentality and looked like we were content with a draw from outset.

In the end 11mm was the difference between losing and drawing today but we are still walking away with 4 points advantage.

Unfortunately we probably need to match the standards set in first half of season to beat this City team to league which is a massive ask but not an impossible one.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
Disappointing result. Man City's defence has been fragile for a long time now. We needed to be more positive from the start.

We really needed a midfielder who could turn and carry the ball or play through the lines. Hindsight and all, but this isn't the first time we've seen this midfield 3 play and get battered by a strong team. You've got to give their midfielders something to think about. Today, there was no forward impetus or any sustained pressing/pressure. So you're stuck with chasing the ball around. It's not a coincidence that Fabinho came on and City sat a little deeper, we had more of the ball and scored minutes later. In Klopp's post-match presser he was asked about the decision to not start Fabinho and he appeared to not have a solid answer, suggesting he'd do things a little different if given another chance.

Trent's usually an out-ball and is quite capable of playing the diagonal into our forwards, by-passing the opposition midfield. But our passing was poor and he was targeted all night. Both Aguero and Silva drifted left all game. Ultimately, we needed another option and for one of the three midfielders to do what Firmino did to Arsenal; ball at his feet, turn and run at their back line. Have the likes of an old Fernandinho and Kompany, and an unnatural left back back-tracking and facing their own goal. Our best passage of play of the game (barring the goal) came from Salah, a player who can turn and carry the ball, picked the ball up in midfield.

Individual game wise, definitely room for improvement. Could have, and should have at least a 7 point lead as I feel City were there for the taking.

Still top with a game to spare so nothing to crap any pants over yet.

Edit: Gotta add also, having rewatched the goals we've conceded. Being as impartial as possible. The entire passage leading up until Aguero's goal was a mess. Trent was caught ball watching for Sane's run. Gini didn't try hard enough to block the cross, and Lovren was kind of caught napping. In Lovren's defence though, Aguero's predatory instincts and ridiculous finish was simply undefendable given the circumstances - He makes that move to go in front of him before the ball is even crossed. Add to that he starts in an offside position sitting on the ground... Lovren was positioned quite well to be fair - would've cut out any low cross across the 6 yard box. Had that ball been cut back at a greater angle, Sane has an open shot and we'd be blaming Milner for ball watching. Lovren hasn't eyes in the back of his head and probably should've got some help from VVD (that's not to say he didn't get a shout - we'll never know). Lovren's getting ready to clear it and Aguero nips in front (similar to VVD foul and pen on Lamela last season) and finishes from a crazy angle (as he always does against us...). All in all, poor defence all round, great finish.

2nd goal, is Lovren's fault though! He needed to step up. No doubt about it. Again, another strong finish from a City player. Mane has a similar chance (probably easier to be honest) and misses.

Last edited:

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I am so happy to read your post and that of many, many other rational human beings here. As a relatively new guy on the forum, I was scared shitless when I read the many 'teenager-rants' here during half time, that I was beginning to wonder if TIA was like the Red Cafe or a Newcastle forum, if results go against Liverpool. To have adults behaving like imbeciles really puts me off. I can only hope that there has been a lot of alcohol involved.

As for individual players, although I think we played a very good game and that we would have beaten most teams with this performance, I too saw that TAA struggled a bit. But he was not alone, Salah also could not really handle the tempo City put out I thought, and we had other issues in midfield. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and admit that the opposition is damnably strong. As for all the criticism Lovren gets, I think we all know that he is not the strongest defender in the world, but he puts in a shift and does his very best. He is professional and I marvel at some of the vile hate he gets for doing his best.
People must remember that we are still in a very, very strong position. We still have a very good shot at the league, but Manchester City is a worthy rival, and only a fool would claim otherwise.
Always wise to stay away from the match day threads. So many people are ending up with black eyes from knee jerking that it's not safe anymore

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Interesting to see fellow fans opinions. I actually enjoyed the game as a spectacle, both teams had chances and the Gks made good saves.
My issues....

Why did Fabinho not start? This game was his type of game. I really enjoy his style of play, i think he will be integral in our first 11 going forward.
How does Ferdandinho (sp) whom i thought had a good game get away with what he does?
Pep G, as much as i respect his style/achievements is a class A C**t. He was the same in Shitys 1st season, when its not going his way he is a big baby.
Man City fans!! What a horrible bunch of rose tinted tw*ts. Every team including us have a section of moron fans, but them, united and Chelsea are are a step above! Sing about your own team, your successes/achievements you have earned that right. Why worry about us....

Lynch04

Smeg Head
They deserved the win. Better team tonite. Better defensively better attack and far superior midfield. Still 4 points clear and need to bounce straight back. But that midfield 3 should never start for us again as a trio and the quicker Gomez is back the better.
Whilst i appreciate/respect your honesty/opinion i disagree with your inital comments.
Personally, i think both teams had their moments in the game. Both Keepers pulled off some great saves and maybe they had the better luck/joy infront of goal.
I agree we need to bouce back. I dont know if you or anyone else has the same opinion, but even in defeat we looked like Champions

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Who gives a fuck what a player says to the press (it's not as if the press keep it in context) and no it doesn't haunt Lovren it haunts you because you believe the media shit that turns around it. Ignoring something isn't ignorance following this type of horse shit is ignorant (and yes I'm accusing you and others of being ignorant and calling for some intelligent ignoring).

Above all what we need are supporters who know the difference between what's gone on in a game and what's said in the media.
At the moment we have 2 CB's fit (so one can say we could do with another) however surely such a situation should cause fans to get 100% behind the 2 we have not undermine them, no?
Even if we bring in a CB this window do you really think that will make a difference the next 10 matches. The new CB would have to go through Klopps vetting system and get snippets of match time here and there. Not many CB's have the qualities that VVD does.
I agree with

I agree with both yours and Charlselee (sp) point of view.
What ever Lovren or A.n other player says should have no bearing on the result of the game.
I believe if you say nothing, you cant get pulled up on it. Lovren has his ego which he is entitled to and he generally plays well when he plays his game.
My issue is why the need to speak? Leave that to the managers, I understand players get asked questions in the press conferences etc but give the general chit chat and let your feet do the talking!