POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Foldy

4 points ahead is still a bloody good situation to be in. Maybe we were too relaxed with our win streak, we were nowhere near our best tonight and we let them pin us back. That right wing was getting banged like a shithouse door in the wind by City. Give them their due they were aggressive and determined, we weren't. Lesson learnt tonight I hope. Klopp will get the players tails back up and on we go. Tonight's match DID NOT determine the league outcome and City would love our lead so no point being miserable about it.

Joe Gomez x

You don't think VVD showed up?
Roberston likely puked after the game he ran so much
You don't think Gini put a shift in? Becker? Hendo? Milner?

I hope every physio and medical innovation is being applied to get Joe back to 100% -
I think VVD played one of his worst games this season. Really do like Virgil and he is the best defender in the world but he didn't play to his best, was quite basic in his passes with an alarming amount of backwards and aimless long balls rather than his usual short forward passes with composer (midfield didn't offer much to him suppose but due to his usual high standards, he was average today 6/10 not great).

I will never take away Robbos effort, no way. I really do think he is best full back in the world even without bias , but his passing was bang average and his deliveries (excluding the assist) but again lately in the last 5 games he has been poor from his exceptional self which is frustrating.

I do like Gini but admitally he is bang average, was quite silenced in a overrun Liverpool midfield. In the long term ,he simply isn't good enough for a title challenging side and once Naby or Shaqiri settles fully in (depending on who Jürgen sees fit), Gini will be replaced.

Alisson is class but he did face only around two shots on target, that did go in (couldn't of done anything) but decent distribution as per. Thats still a 6/10 imo.

Hendo is okayyy I suspose. He does do the same job as Fabinho defensively but Fab offers more going forward which wins it for me in my choice. Only thing he has ahead of Fab in the pecking order is the armband and his rise in levels in big games .We all know one Fab fully settles in Hendo will be out. I have always defended Hendo as he does put a shift in these games but tonight's performance doesn't merit anything over a 6.

Milly is a workhorse that has kinda been rushed back and it was evident after him being taken off after 60mins. Was slow getting into the game (obviously) but he had no impact or controlled the middle of the park with his usual tackles. Again a 6 for me.

Hopefully Gomez comes back quickly, I have never seen a World Cup centre back finalist, so called the greatest centre back in the world get caught standing still by Agreuo (can't spell that) 3 times in a row. Always knew, get 3 decent games and one shocker. Get Matip in Jürgen.

Also im not hating any player and I'm not throwing the toys out of the pram after one loss, it's just we made it a lot easier for the Mancs that it should of been, and it frustrates me as we always do this when it matters , we love a tense title challenge.

Suppose I'm just scared for a repeat of Brendan's 2014 collapse.

Hopefully this is a one off and not a sign of things to come. YNWA

maxpain17

Need a bit of perspective here. Some people are making too much noise about this loss. It doesn't help anyone and
builds unwanted pressure on the team.
A month ago, I wouldn't have dared to think that we will be top at Christmas and begin the year with a seven point lead on City. We had lost to PSG away and our champions league hopes were in the balance and even the league form was not convincing enough. From there to where we sit today, is astonishing and should be a matter of pride , I must say.

As for the game, yes the first half we didn't get enough of the ball,it was partially fault of our midfield 3 . But it was also the fact that we were being pinned down at City's home at 100mph and we couldn't play at that same pace , not least start with that kind of stuff. The match seemed like a carbon copy of the CL quarterfinal in the first half. Our midfield that day was again unable to connect with forwards. The first goal we scored that day was when someone looked up, turned, with speed , pass and run. This is what happened when Salah created that chance for Sadio yesterday. Unfortunately,apart from Gini, the other two Milly and Hendo cannot do that kind of thing. Kudos to them for the effort , but sometimes the superior technical ability makes a hell lot of difference.
Fabinho did make a difference compared to both Milly n Hendo and the reason is his superior technical ability. His ability to find space for himself and pick out passes. Sometimes, he reminds me of Alonso, although, I wouldn't dare to go into the comparison.

For me the only two players which need more improvement are Trent and Hendo. I think Hendo's position come summer will be really under threat. His passing was really out last night and again, unable to make space and pick the right pass. Too many times we were passing to the player who is already marked by City's players or sending a forward for a wild run in blind alleys. I also think Trent was not at his best last night. Unfortunately, when you play teams like City, anything less than your best is not good enough. One thing he really needs to develop is to look up when he drills a cross. I am pretty sure boss will get this point across sooner rather than later.Competition for places will also help, as it really pushes a player to always perform at a minimum consistent level.

We also looked a bit leggy near the end, passes going astray , and were unable to even make 5 yard pass properly. I guess the festive season finally took a bit of a toll at the end and we seemed to ran out of steam, but then it's alright, they are human not machines.

This game and perspective regarding this would have been very different if it ended 1-1 . Sane's goal was surely offside, which reminds me to mention that Ref. I couldn't believe what he was upto . Kompany's red, Fernandinho's murderous tackles and Sterling falling over and that Gini Yellow...Is this kindergarten ??

So, even though we lost, the best thing I take away is that now we have a team which is on par with City , Man to Man and even better . I am pretty sure if we meet them again in the latter stages of CL this year, we will batter them for last night's result. Let's make sure, one game we lost doesn't turn some of us to "doubters" , we have to remain "Believers"

The simplest thing we have to do is strike back quickly. There is no time to dwell on the defeat. But the best part of football is that there is always a next game around the corner. We need to put things right and go again. Make sure this defeat is out of player's minds ASAP and we set pace at the summit again.
And don't worry about what all the media, the pundits and commentators said last night . The entire media wants this liverpool team to fail ; as it fulfills their agenda that they were right in saying that this liverpool team will bottle it. There is half a season to go yet. I think the one thing whole league has witnessed in the past 3 - 4 weeks is that if you have a go at City, they are there for the taking. They still have to play Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs at home and Scum away. Surely, they will drop something , they are no more the invincibles.
And let us not forget, last season the only team which beat City in the league was us, but still City won the league. So, we could do the same as well, just keep believing..

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
How did guardiola not get sent to the stands btw people? Hes was a split second away from sparking martin atkinson out! Anthony taylor comes over and pep just grabbed his arse, apologised and that was it? Any other manager would be 3 match touchline ban

Agree x 100. Can’t believe how weak the referee group was in that instance. I was screaming at the box.......

RedYank

Haven't read the entire thread, but the theme (I would think) is still upbeat. And well it should be.

Except I still feel much like I did after Kiev...empty.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Still cant understand the criticism given to klopp and Lovren
People forget that it's klopps tactics why we are on this position.
I was actually happy with our starting team. It's one thing to write in a forum ,go attack city, and another to actually go and implement.
I can see why klopp started with that midfield, wijnaldum and hendo have legs to run and milner adds experience, and can come handy if we get a penalty.
The only thing I wish klopp would have done earlier is get shaq on at 60-65 mins.
As for Lovren, I feel extremely sad reading the comments here. This is the best team in the country and probably in Europe People forget.
Not many teams would have the luxury of lovren as 4th or 3rd option.
Up the reds.
In klopp we trust.

Monument Mark

Last night's result is precisely why I've hated all this talk about the title. Now, it's all about how we react to this defeat. Let's make sure we progress to the 4th round of the FA Cup and then let's get back to winning ways in the league at Brighton. Temporarily at least, we'd then have a 7 point lead again with Tottenham hosting Manchester United and Wolves travelling to Manchester City where they could perhaps do what they did at Tottenham. We can still make this an amazing month.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Still cant understand the criticism given to klopp and Lovren
People forget that it's klopps tactics why we are on this position.
I was actually happy with our starting team. It's one thing to write in a forum ,go attack city, and another to actually go and implement.
I can see why klopp started with that midfield, wijnaldum and hendo have legs to run and milner adds experience, and can come handy if we get a penalty.
The only thing I wish klopp would have done earlier is get shaq on at 60-65 mins.
As for Lovren, I feel extremely sad reading the comments here. This is the best team in the country and probably in Europe People forget.
Not many teams would have the luxury of lovren as 4th or 3rd option.
Up the reds.
In klopp we trust.
Because Klopp got the midfield selection wrong, again. And Lovren was god awful. At fault for the first goal and tried his best to give them 2 more through absolutely retarded play. He deserves the criticism from this one. That coming from probably his bigger defender the last 3 years.

Incognito

The Normal One
Wow, so much blame for our players and manager? In hindsight everything looks like it could have been different. Yes, the drive from midfield was missing, but how well has Gini performed this season, how reliable has Milner been whenever called upon and how was everyone wanting Hendo to play instead of Fab because Fab had those misplaced passes against Arsenal? One game and everything changes immediately? Lovren has been good since Gomez got injured and I wasn't even expecting 8/8 in December when I thought Lovren would play, but the lad did well. Yes for this game I understand there were mistakes and it's completely okay to judge the performances of our players for this game, but why do we always want our players to 'fuck off' after one bad performance?  Or want whoever is on the bench for that game to have played instead, and then again wanting that player to be benched the next one?

Lovren is our 3rd/ 4th choice CB. Get any other player who would be ready to play 3rd/ 4th choice and put him in a high intensity City game at Etihad where they have to win and will throw the kitchen sink at you and see if he performs like VVD. Such players will not play second fiddle and the onus is on the entire team to ensure players are not exposed this way. Credits have to be given to City, they completely blocked our passing channels and made it very difficult for our mids to feed in the forwards. There were many times Alisson passed to Hendo but he couldn't turn and had to pass it back to him. We missed Ox, and we missed the Gini of previous games otherwise we would have had better control of the midfield. It's all okay. We might have started with Shaq/ Keita whoever and might have lost 5-0 something - anything could have happened. We have lost 2-1 to a very very good side, the current champions and the team who has been there & done that by 1.12 cm margins on either side of the goal. Just react correctly to this and this result wouldn't matter.

One loss in a battle doesn't mean the war is lost. City would have won this battle, but we will win the war!

NZred

The Red From NZ
Wow, so much blame for our players and manager? In hindsight everything looks like it could have been different. Yes, the drive from midfield was missing, but how well has Gini performed this season, how reliable has Milner been whenever called upon and how was everyone wanting Hendo to play instead of Fab because Fab had those misplaced passes against Arsenal? One game and everything changes immediately? Lovren has been good since Gomez got injured and I wasn't even expecting 8/8 in December when I thought Lovren would play, but the lad did well. Yes for this game I understand there were mistakes and it's completely okay to judge the performances of our players for this game, but why do we always want our players to 'fuck off' after one bad performance?  Or want whoever is on the bench for that game to have played instead, and then again wanting that player to be benched the next one?

Lovren is our 3rd/ 4th choice CB. Get any other player who would be ready to play 3rd/ 4th choice and put him in a high intensity City game at Etihad where they have to win and will throw the kitchen sink at you and see if he performs like VVD. Such players will not play second fiddle and the onus is on the entire team to ensure players are not exposed this way. Credits have to be given to City, they completely blocked our passing channels and made it very difficult for our mids to feed in the forwards. There were many times Alisson passed to Hendo but he couldn't turn and had to pass it back to him. We missed Ox, and we missed the Gini of previous games otherwise we would have had better control of the midfield. It's all okay. We might have started with Shaq/ Keita whoever and might have lost 5-0 something - anything could have happened. We have lost 2-1 to a very very good side, the current champions and the team who has been there & done that by 1.12 cm margins on either side of the goal. Just react correctly to this and this result wouldn't matter.

One loss in a battle doesn't mean the war is lost. City would have won this battle, but we will win the war!
Except saying that midfield selection was wrong isn't hindsight is it. It's simply having watched every away game this season when those 3 have been selected together and seeing how awful they've been.

Alright Now

Class post. Top perspective.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ha.

The Roma away game is the 2nd leg of the Semi in which we got the result we needed, in order to advance. Yes, same place where Barca lost 3-0

And if you were presented with a longer listing of wins (more matches won) with the MF trio what would you say? Selective metrics?

I'll wait for you to collect the entire sample (of all games the same MF trip played in) with the respective descriptive stats regarding results.

Last edited:

jredp

Unfortunately, I couldn't get to see the game, only highlights and reading through the forum

looks like Klopp took a defensive midfield gamble, but cannot fault him, as he picks the players given he sees them in training.
On hindsight, and I hope Klopp sees the lack of creativity from them. Fabhino plays more direct incisive passes and still does his defensive work. Yes, sometimes his passes have been astray, but it's a wee gamble one has to take. If he creates much, much more, and more often than not resulting in goals, than giving the ball away, then I think it's worth it.

let's hope the lads stay focussed and go on another long, long unbeaten run.
More than halfway and just got double digit goals against us, still top and 3 trophies up for grabs.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
We were millimetres away from winning this 1-2. Mane's shot hits the post and bounces out, the rebound miraculously doesn't cross the line and Stones' clearance somehow goes straight through Salah's legs, that was ridiculously unlucky.

Sane shot, on the other hand, also hits the post and goes in. The difference between winning and losing is millimetres, we were SO......unlucky.

Thought both teams played well, City were totally determined but to my eyes a draw would have been the fair result.

We are still 4 points ahead, advantage LFC.

Incognito

The Normal One
Ha.

The Roma away game is the 2nd leg of the Semi in which we got the result we needed, in order to advance.

And if you were presented with a longer listing of wins (more matches won) with the MF trio what would you say? Selective metrics?

I'll wait for you to collect the entire sample (of all games the same MF trip played in) with the respective descriptive stats regarding results.
This. How important is the context in which the game is played? It's very convenient to forget that. The three usually play when we need control of the midfield, tough away games, we are lack of options for what Klopp wants out of the midfield, our defense has players missing and we need to shield it, we need to contain the game, etc etc. Klopp could obviously see that we miss out on the link up play somewhat, but persists with it because they bring something in that particular game on basis of opposition which the other midfielders at that particular instance and situation we have and are fit do not provide.

C

Caradoc

We were millimetres away from winning this 1-2. Mane's shot hits the post and bounces out, the rebound miraculously doesn't cross the line and Stones' clearance somehow goes straight through Salah's legs, that was ridiculously unlucky.

Sane shot, on the other hand, also hits the post and goes in. The difference between winning and losing is millimetres, we were SO......unlucky.

Thought both teams played well, City were totally determined but to my eyes a draw would have been the fair result.

We are still 4 points ahead, advantage LFC.

Unkucky on those incidents yes .......

Over the full game? No!

Its good that we look for positives and stay positive but there were negatives last night that Klopp dare not ignore.

In terms of perspective, we saw an excellent team play somewhere near their best last night. I think any side would have struggled but we didn’t exactly help ourselves. We could and should have been better.

GermanRed

Good Morning everyone.

Fernandinho was a beast last night. He bossed the midfield.

Dane

NEXT!
Christ almighty it’s nauseating watching on Sky.
It's quite nauseating reading this thread.
I only got half way down page 2 as well.

We were nowhere near our best, but that game was summed up by fine margins.
Our shot hits the post and doesn't go in, their shot hits the post and does.

We were bossed in midfield, and Fernandinho got away (as usual) with his sly challenges. The forearm smash on Robbo being a prime example.

Aguero should never have got that shot away, but Becker shouldn't be letting that in at the near post either.

Onwards and upwards, and stop over reacting. It's embarrassing.

Last edited:

GermanRed

Expected Fabinho to start ahead of Milner because of the injury he had.

The early yellow probably killed Wijnaldums confidence - but thats no excuse.

Shaqiri not the right tool for an opponent with so much possession.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
I think VVD played one of his worst games this season. Really do like Virgil and he is the best defender in the world but he didn't play to his best, was quite basic in his passes with an alarming amount of backwards and aimless long balls rather than his usual short forward passes with composer (midfield didn't offer much to him suppose but due to his usual high standards, he was average today 6/10 not great).

I will never take away Robbos effort, no way. I really do think he is best full back in the world even without bias , but his passing was bang average and his deliveries (excluding the assist) but again lately in the last 5 games he has been poor from his exceptional self which is frustrating.

I do like Gini but admitally he is bang average, was quite silenced in a overrun Liverpool midfield. In the long term ,he simply isn't good enough for a title challenging side and once Naby or Shaqiri settles fully in (depending on who Jürgen sees fit), Gini will be replaced.

Alisson is class but he did face only around two shots on target, that did go in (couldn't of done anything) but decent distribution as per. Thats still a 6/10 imo.

Hendo is okayyy I suspose. He does do the same job as Fabinho defensively but Fab offers more going forward which wins it for me in my choice. Only thing he has ahead of Fab in the pecking order is the armband and his rise in levels in big games .We all know one Fab fully settles in Hendo will be out. I have always defended Hendo as he does put a shift in these games but tonight's performance doesn't merit anything over a 6.

Milly is a workhorse that has kinda been rushed back and it was evident after him being taken off after 60mins. Was slow getting into the game (obviously) but he had no impact or controlled the middle of the park with his usual tackles. Again a 6 for me.

Hopefully Gomez comes back quickly, I have never seen a World Cup centre back finalist, so called the greatest centre back in the world get caught standing still by Agreuo (can't spell that) 3 times in a row. Always knew, get 3 decent games and one shocker. Get Matip in Jürgen.

Also im not hating any player and I'm not throwing the toys out of the pram after one loss, it's just we made it a lot easier for the Mancs that it should of been, and it frustrates me as we always do this when it matters , we love a tense title challenge.

Suppose I'm just scared for a repeat of Brendan's 2014 collapse.

Hopefully this is a one off and not a sign of things to come. YNWA
That will prove to be a bit difficult seeing as he is out for another 3-4 weeks, hence why we have played Lovren and VVD through the xmas period without rotation.

Flobs

FADA
Unkucky on those incidents yes .......

Over the full game? No!

Its good that we look for positives and stay positive but there were negatives last night that Klopp dare not ignore.

In terms of perspective, we saw an excellent team play somewhere near their best last night. I think any side would have struggled but we didn’t exactly help ourselves. We could and should have been better.
Yep we went out to control but our passing let us down. We had our moments where we looked the better team unfortunately overall City had more energy and determination and better passing.

GermanRed

Wijnaldum on the left in the 4-2-3-1 felt like the important game where we had to replace Salah with Lallana.

Firmino as a striker will always be somehow 'controversial' but i will never be a fan of Salah upfront. Hope that is not a long term plan.

We can surely bring in a player who can cover ST and LW. Someone with speed and goals. Someone who can be seen as real competition and not like Sturridge/Origi.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We were bossed in midfield, and Fernandinho got away (as usual) with his sly challenges. The forearm smash on Robbo being a prime example.
The worst one would be a lunging, studs up tackle by Kompany on Salah. The referee saw it clearly and it's a clear red that wasn't given. That would have made a lot of difference in the entire match.... The shot from Mane, which hits the post at the very same motion, Ederson clipped his feet and that would have been a penalty if it wasn't a shot on goal but rather a dribble to go around the keeper. That too wasn't given. Terrible referee....

GermanRed

Lovren going out and saying he is one of the best CBs in the world and that we can stay unbeaten until the end of the season. It was only a matter of time until he puts in a performance like that.

Lovren will alway belong to the Sakho/Mignolet/Moreno generation but he is lucky that he was surfing on the VvD/Alisson/Robertson wave last year.

[email protected]

Getting a bit fed up of comments on this forum calling our midfield shit. The same players that have delivered one of the best starts of any team ever. Go and support united
Hmmm... I didn't call them shit, as such, but they're not that great as a combination IMHO. And I think you will find that Gini, Henderson and Milner haven't themselves gotten us to where we are all by their lonesome as an all conquering, fear inspiring midfield that flattens the opposition week in, week out. The squad has done that of which they are a part.

Telling fellow Reds to go do one and support United is more than just a touch offensive given that most of us here have decades of support behind us through good times and bad. Have a word, eh?

C

Caradoc

Lovren .......

Not one of his better games last night! He needs to get his head down again and do his talking on the pitch!

GermanRed

Pep and Klopp pushing themselves to new levels and its great for the PL.

As a neutral Robertson vs. Sterling and TAA vs. Sane were probably a joy to watch. Think our boys did really well (Robos man marking / Trents nutmeg) but the goals and the result say different.

Medjool

Well, that is what happens when a manager bottles it and LOVREN.

Bottling it, Gini, Milner and Hendo should never be played together. The don't contribute enough to the team when all three are on the field. In fact I wouldn't mind if 2/3 are moved on in the summer. Gone are the days when all a midfielder needs to do is run. The subs; 2 of the 3 midfielders should have come off at half time; that is how bad they were. Then when he made the second sub, he subs Mane and keeps the crappy Gini until the 78th minute.

LOVREN, a more diabolical fucker its hard to find. He was a step off the pace today, kept losing players, was too slow to react to Kun controlling the ball and volleying in for City's first goal. He couldn't make a 5 yard pass in the last 10 mins of the game and kept giving the ball away. How the fuck Croatia made it to the WC final with this clown is beyond me. I cant be comfortable with our defending when this clown is at the back, he is one fuck up away from screwing us......and so said, so done.
Calling one of ours "a diabolical fucker" is a bit strong mate even if he has a bad game. I was really worried for him, I thought his head had gone.