POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Yes I am one of them who has given criticism to Lovren in regards to today's performance. My issue with Degsy is that against the best teams with nimble fast forwards, aka Man City, he struggles especially in a game like today where they are in the ascendency. He does well in a battle however he is too slow mentally & physically when teams play pass and move as he just switches off.

Still a place for him at Liverpool but ideally not against a team like City.

One other thing, he also doesnt cope well with being pressed compared to Joe and Joel.

Last note, he was the only alternative left, as the others were injured and he does always give his best YNWA

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
The worst one would be a lunging, studs up tackle by Kompany on Salah. The referee saw it clearly and it's a clear red that wasn't given. That would have made a lot of difference in the entire match.... The shot from Mane, which hits the post at the very same motion, Ederson clipped his feet and that would have been a penalty if it wasn't a shot on goal but rather a dribble to go around the keeper. That too wasn't given. Terrible referee....
With regards to Mane being fouled, no advantage has he didnt score, should be a penalty, however most refs are shit and never give it, a foul is a foul

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
With regards to Mane being fouled, no advantage has he didnt score, should be a penalty, however most refs are shit and never give it, a foul is a foul
Yeah, I watched it over and over again, thinking at first the keeper may have had a touch of the ball. He didn't and his trailing leg tripped Mane. Not a single pundit spoke of that foul, instead, harping on the "millimetres" moment. It's a damn foul and we should be given a penalty, end of. The other incident I am not too happy about is Kompany's tackle. Eric Baily made the same tackle the night before and was given a straight red, exactly the same and to top it off, Kompany was the last man. Yes at that time United already led Newcastle, but that should not be the reason for leniency. Shit refereeing yesterday, and with that sort of decision from the start of the match, you know shit isn't going to go well for us. No luck in front of goal, and no luck on officiating calls.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Seems Lovren is the new Lucas.:rolleyes:

I'm not blaming him at all. Both of their goals were brilliant finishes, don't think it's fair to put any blame on Dejan.
This thread is pure garbage, and i imagine there will also be piles of trash in 4 player threads.(mids + Lovren) as well. As expected. I'm sure Degsy is even being blamed for that opportunity for City at the end where he had two touches and the second touch ricocheted off B.Silva fortuitously to a City player. And then when all else fails regarding singling out players, blame the ref. 'This was a red', 'that was a red', 'we would have won of the ref wasnt corrupt'. Rinse and repeat. Maybe we just didn't play our best and got beaten by a good team? Is that at all possible? It's not like they didn't dominate the game and we had more than two opportunities?

My only gripe with the loss is the timing. The players have two weeks to wait to make this right. Would have been happier jumping straight into another game and give payback to whoever we faced. Maybe the players think differently and an fa cup is a good place to release the anger where a loss isn't the end of the world? Dunno.

Last edited:

Edin

I think the most have been said after this match. Very disappointed because we were very close to getting something out of this game.

Conclusion after the match: we need 4 good CB, and Lovren is not in that pool. Fabinho should have been a larger part of this match, either by starting or by comming on earlier. Also would like to have Shaq involved earlier.

No its time for our next 20 unbeaten run!

C

Caradoc

Seems Lovren is the new Lucas.:rolleyes:

I'm not blaming him at all. Both of their goals were brilliant finishes, don't think it's fair to put any blame on Dejan.

Lovren has been the subject of criticism for a long time now. For the past 9 months his detractors have been running on empty because he’s definitely got his game together.

Both their goals were down to brilliant finishes. But some of his clearances were poor last night. A tough evening for the whole side but lessons must be learnt ........ its what top sides do!

Incognito

The Normal One
I think the most have been said after this match. Very disappointed because we were very close to getting something out of this game.

Conclusion after the match: we need 4 good CB, and Lovren is not in that pool. Fabinho should have been a larger part of this match, either by starting or by comming on earlier. Also would like to have Shaq involved earlier.

No its time for our next 20 unbeaten run!
Lovren was part of the earlier unbeaten run, quite easy to forget that.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
For the first time this season I think klopp got it wrong. He changed the midfield fearing City where the pressure was on them and they should’ve feared us.
The only reason I can think of that shaq didn’t start is cos against arsenal TAA had a 10 minute spell v Iwobi where he was being taken apart and getting no help from shaq.
Maybe Juergen thought that might happen with Sane.
I thought TAA and Lovren were targeted and it paid off for City.
Fabinho has to start every game now. I was shocked to see him benched for Milner whose been injured and looked off the pace most of the game.

Show me the Mane

City just about edged it but we should hold our heads up high.
17 games to go, 51 points to play for.
Think we will take a large chunk of them
Still ours to lose/win however you look at.

Foldy

The worst one would be a lunging, studs up tackle by Kompany on Salah. The referee saw it clearly and it's a clear red that wasn't given. That would have made a lot of difference in the entire match.... The shot from Mane, which hits the post at the very same motion, Ederson clipped his feet and that would have been a penalty if it wasn't a shot on goal but rather a dribble to go around the keeper. That too wasn't given. Terrible referee....
What do you expect from a Manc.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
For the first time this season I think klopp got it wrong. He changed the midfield fearing City where the pressure was on them and they should’ve feared us.
The only reason I can think of that shaq didn’t start is cos against arsenal TAA had a 10 minute spell v Iwobi where he was being taken apart and getting no help from shaq.
Maybe Juergen thought that might happen with Sane.
I thought TAA and Lovren were targeted and it paid off for City.
Fabinho has to start every game now. I was shocked to see him benched for Milner whose been injured and looked off the pace most of the game.
I am not sure why your were "shocked" with Klopp's line up. Read through the first 20 pages of this thread and you will see that about 70% give or take predocted this line up.
As for Fabinho vs. Milner. I am not sure Klopp was wrong. I think Fabinho is still getting adjusted to the PL, not sure how he would gave fared in the first 20 minutes which was frantic. It is easier to come in on 60th minute when thing are a bit more settled. Btw, this does not say that Milner did well.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
What do you expect from a Manc.
Oh yeah, almost forgot he is from Manchester.... mother fucker!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-liverpool-referee-taylor-15627713

The decision to appoint has led to some scepticism, despite previous suggestions he supports both sides' bitter rivals Manchester United being categorically denied.
(...)
Despite the unhappiness from both Hackett and Liverpool fans ahead of the game, it should be noted that the Reds' record when the Altrincham supporter has refereed their fixtures is impressive.

Since taking charge of the infamous 6-1 defeat at Stoke City in May 2015, Taylor has been the referee in 14 games involving Liverpool in which only one, their 1-0 reverse at Chelsea in May, has led to a defeat.

City's record with Taylor in charge reads 11 wins, four draws and four defeats from 18 games.

Last edited:

GermanRed

City just about edged it but we should hold our heads up high.
17 games to go, 51 points to play for.
Think we will take a large chunk of them
Still ours to lose/win however you look at.
Agree.

We also have just 3 Top6 games left (2 of them at home) and they have 4 left. City also have 2 more games in january because of the EFL Cup.

Foldy

Spoke to my Man City mate on the way in to work this morning. Let him have his moment, reminded him that they've lost 3 games to our 1 and that realistically can City get through the rest of the season without a loss. They firmly believe that game last night has decide the outcome of the league and that they will surpass on points even though their results blatantly show a different case. All we can do is brush last night's game off and regroup. IMHO Klopp should of taken a chance with Fabinho but I think he went with the safety aspect with Milner and Hendo. Fabinho would of got that ball forward, Firmino at times last night looked like he could of gone off for a coffee as he just wasn't getting any supply from the midfield.

FilthyBloke

The worst part is city were not great.
I agree that our midfield trio was a bad choice. Henderson is out of form and Milner has just come back and looked slow.
We created little but when we did we had them rattled and nervy.
Our front three all were below par, but they had little to feed off.
Personally I think klopp gave them too Much respect and at the same time nullified our own attack.

But we move on. We need to react now. 4 points is nice but a few dropped points will see it almost vanish.

Hurry up @nobluff with the next Pre match thread so I can concentrate on something else.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
I am not sure why your were "shocked" with Klopp's line up. Read through the first 20 pages of this thread and you will see that about 70% give or take predocted this line up.
As for Fabinho vs. Milner. I am not sure Klopp was wrong. I think Fabinho is still getting adjusted to the PL, not sure how he would gave fared in the first 20 minutes which was frantic. It is easier to come in on 60th minute when thing are a bit more settled. Btw, this does not say that Milner did well.
I know it’s served us well in the past but I’m not a fan of Gini, hendo and Milner in the middle. They are all the same player. City’s midfield had it easy yesterday. Ironically we last started that 3 in the 0-0 v City at Anfield where we created nothing in the game as well. It’s ok against the poorer teams but not the top teams. Yes I know they played V Napoli.
As soon as Fabinho came on you saw the difference. Thought he was great in his 30 mins.
I was surprised Milner started as he’s missed the last two with muscle issues and was thrown in against City’s powerhouse midfield.
Was really hoping Keita would take this league by storm but he’s found it difficult and had some injuries as well.

Ben64

For me, what was soooo dissapointing was that we did not play to our full potential. If we did, and still lost, we will be more than happy. However, I see absolutely no reason for any personnel changes. We got to where we are with them.

Wilkored08

Still slightly shell shocked at the score.. A game of... if only Mo had touched the ball....if only Kompany was sent walking and Fernandinho...but we are still top of the league, with a 4 point advantage...next game (pl) a must win....keep up momentum.... As for now...I think l need tea and chocolate....

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Bit more perspective this morning. A game of fine margins and I forget sometimes that City are a fucking great team, they truly are. Snide shit houses at times (which are the dark arts we need to master imho) but unquestionable their manager and players are the very best.

We are 4 points clear, we have the easier run to come;

Brighton - A
Crystal Palace - H
Leicester - H
West Ham - A
Bournemouth - H

before we play Bayern. The key now is showing the mental fortitude we hope we've built up, re-group and win the next game, grind out a win if we have to but win. We had to lose at some point is it easier to lose now than further down the line against a weaker team? We won't know but it's still in our hands, we win every game from now till the end we are Champions that is a fact.

Wilkored08

Bit more perspective this morning. A game of fine margins and I forget sometimes that City are a fucking great team, they truly are. Snide shit houses at times (which are the dark arts we need to master imho) but unquestionable their manager and players are the very best.

We are 4 points clear, we have the easier run to come;

Brighton - A
Crystal Palace - H
Leicester - H
West Ham - A
Bournemouth - H

before we play Bayern. The key now is showing the mental fortitude we hope we've built up, re-group and win the next game, grind out a win if we have to but win. We had to lose at some point is it easier to lose now than further down the line against a weaker team? We won't know but it's still in our hands, we win every game from now till the end we are Champions that is a fact.
I nearly asked this morning...."Who has the easiest pl run in....but thought there might be another posting somewhere.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I nearly asked this morning...."Who has the easiest pl run in....but thought there might be another posting somewhere.
City's are (ignoring the cup)

Wolves - H
Huddersfield - A
Newcastle - A
Arsenal - H
Chelsea - H

We need to keep winning and keep the pressure up so the Arse/Chav games are must wins for them.

Red Ted

Lovren was part of the earlier unbeaten run, quite easy to forget that.
That's because he was sat on the bench.

Before last night we've been lucky that he hasn't cost us, he was very lucky to not to cost us our Champions League place right at the end against Napoli.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
p.s. We must win the league.. I can't stand the media bias to City, it was nauseating how much everyone wanted them to win. Look at the papers this morning.

Like everyone has forgot their entire fucking success is built on a country's wealth. They would be nowhere without it. Fucking twats.

We have literally built our self back up with self-sustainability, and amazing manager and a transfer strategy envied and copied around Europe. We should be the ones everyone wants to win to show the beautiful game once more, not the rich mans play thing cheat mode.

Incognito

The Normal One
That's because he was sat on the bench.

Before last night we've been lucky that he hasn't cost us, he was very lucky to not to cost us our Champions League place right at the end against Napoli.
He played the last 4 games and we won. So he was part of the run. Many other players would be lucky they didn't cost us one way or the other in many games.

I am not defending Lovren for his game yesterday, but do we have someone who would come in and play as 3rd/ 4th choice CB behind Gomez and VVD and perform at their level? I would be open to that, but getting some one like that isn't going to be easy.

auzziez

I don't believe in miracles. I rely on them
A difficult loss to swallow. It was the worst of the possible outcomes and unfortunately it did come.
Did City deserve to win? I would say no. Nor did we deserve to lose. Two really good teams fighting out there. A draw would have been a fair result.
We were in a lot of spot of bother with the 433 formation. But Fabinho's introduction and changing to 4231 made us a lot better. To an extent that I thought we could turn the game to its head. Firmino's goal easily supported that belief. We had a good, if for a very less time, spell attacking them.
Degans lack of positional awareness for the second goal, our bad luck with Mane shot coming back off the post while the one from Sane going in, their goal line clearances and some bad luck with refereeing (Kompany red card, Silva consistently fouling) meant getting a favourable result would have been really hard.
Getting Fabinho on and changing system is for me more important than the result. Klopp saw a need for it and made some difference. Best positive to come out of this match.
It would have always been very difficult to match the invincible team. Especially in this premier league era. But trying to get as close as possible to that without selling the of yourself, the club and the fans is much more difficult, on par with impossible.
But then Klopp and his men went for it. And successfully half way through. That's more than enough for me.
I am really enjoying this ride with this German and his gang of unusual bastards. Hope they all collectively enjoy the premier league medal while the rest of England says surprisingly:
HOW THE FCUK DID THAT HAPPEN?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I don't think at this stage we could go with that question because there are other competitions and too soon to call because both will have tough matches ahead. City will host Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, with a trip away to United. We will be hosting Chelsea and Spurs, while like them we still have to visit Old Trafford. These would probably be the crucial matches both clubs will have to face. They do have to play against the three London clubs while we only have two left. But let's not forget we have a trip to our noisy neighbour as well, and that match you can throw all game plans and tactics out of the window. Derby matches don't usually follow trend and form.

All the talks about easier run in will only be more valid when we get towards April when both are still neck-and-neck fighting for the top spot. Maybe we could revisit that question later when the time arrives. As of now, let's take the next match as if it's our final game of the season and the title decider.