• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

auzziez

A difficult loss to swallow. It was the worst of the possible outcomes and unfortunately it did come.
Did City deserve to win? I would say no. Nor did we deserve to lose. Two really good teams fighting out there. A draw would have been a fair result.
We were in a lot of spot of bother with the 433 formation. But Fabinho's introduction and changing to 4231 made us a lot better. To an extent that I thought we could turn the game to its head. Firmino's goal easily supported that belief. We had a good, if for a very less time, spell attacking them.
Degans lack of positional awareness for the second goal, our bad luck with Mane shot coming back off the post while the one from Sane going in, their goal line clearances and some bad luck with refereeing (Kompany red card, Silva consistently fouling) meant getting a favourable result would have been really hard.
Getting Fabinho on and changing system is for me more important than the result. Klopp saw a need for it and made some difference. Best positive to come out of this match.
It would have always been very difficult to match the invincible team. Especially in this premier league era. But trying to get as close as possible to that without selling the of yourself, the club and the fans is much more difficult, on par with impossible.
But then Klopp and his men went for it. And successfully half way through. That's more than enough for me.
I am really enjoying this ride with this German and his gang of unusual bastards. Hope they all collectively enjoy the premier league medal while the rest of England says surprisingly:
HOW THE FCUK DID THAT HAPPEN?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I nearly asked this morning...."Who has the easiest pl run in....but thought there might be another posting somewhere.
I don't think at this stage we could go with that question because there are other competitions and too soon to call because both will have tough matches ahead. City will host Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, with a trip away to United. We will be hosting Chelsea and Spurs, while like them we still have to visit Old Trafford. These would probably be the crucial matches both clubs will have to face. They do have to play against the three London clubs while we only have two left. But let's not forget we have a trip to our noisy neighbour as well, and that match you can throw all game plans and tactics out of the window. Derby matches don't usually follow trend and form.

All the talks about easier run in will only be more valid when we get towards April when both are still neck-and-neck fighting for the top spot. Maybe we could revisit that question later when the time arrives. As of now, let's take the next match as if it's our final game of the season and the title decider.

Redsi73

Have LFC killed some puppies or kittens in the last 24hrs?

Media response appears to be focused on how Manchester is united in their quest to stop the evil LFC from winning the Premier league.....

What have we done? We have been one of the most exemplary clubs in recent years, yet certain clubs, Media, fans and the like are ecstatic that we have lost a game.

Astounded..

Noo Noo

Singling out certain players is a bit harsh IMO.

Too many of us were not playing at 100% last night and City must take credit for that.

I'll take some solace that despite not being at our best we were still able to go toe to toe with them. Had the game gone on longer I certainly felt we have would have got an equaliser. It was that tight. We are top because we deserve to be. Last night doesn't change that.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Not a game the Mem and I are going to watch again.

The midfield trio of Hendo, Gini and Millie might work against many teams but last night their deficiencies were exposed. The lack of creativity and pace cost us the game.

And one of them should have helped Trent, who was clearly struggling against sané.

As for Lovren, least said soonest mended. :((

On a positive note the greedy bastard didn't score. As usual he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, unlike fernandinho who clobbered Robbo in the throat, not that anthony "bluemoon" taylor did anything about it.

Also vincent "I'm a dirty bastard" kompany should have had a straight red for his two footed lunge on Mo, but got away with a yellow. Obviously taylor didn't want to jeopardise his matchday bung bonus. :unhappy:

Why was Altrincham based, Wythenshawe born taylor appointed to officiate the game? The decision was called into question before the match.

No doubt PGMOL will have their reasons (over and above their financial benefits :think:).

Abdel

Part of me is glad we dont have that "unbeaten season pressure " nonsense over the shoulder .
That oil state needed to be at their very best to beat us by a few margin .
Still top of the league while we played Arsenal and City already and having only 3 games against the big 6 , two of them are at home .we still held an advantage .
Let's just do what every champions do , bounce back with 6 or 7 wins on a row and discourage Any challengers behind .
This type of games rarely decide a title , we won against Man u at their ground in 2008 , we won against City in 2014 too .

Noo Noo

Why was Altrincham based, Wythenshawe born taylor appointed to officiate the game? The decision was called into question before the match.
Fair point. This shouldn't happen.

Just like appointing a senior exec in the FA / Lremier League who also happens to sit on the board of a Premier League Club;

or appointing a person heavily linked with Sky to make the decision on where the Premier Leagues TV rights would go when the league was formed.

Why are these blatantly obvious conflicts of interest continually allowed exist within the game. Stinks of a old boys club if anything ever did.

Hammanbags

Well, that game could've gone either way. Small margins.

We need to use this as motivation to go on another run. It's tight again at the top, especially with Spurs clsoing in as well. Just a shame we couldn't keep it to a draw, after the excellent team move for the equaliser.

Aguero - tired to cheat to fall for a penalty, and got lucky the ball ended up at his feet with Dejan faffing about.
THANK YOU ! I was beginning to think I'd imagined that !
I like Aguero and diving is not something he is really renowned for...but City were very much of the 'Whatever it takes' mentality last night (Bernardo Silva is not renowned for putting himself about either...)
But that was a clear dive - no question.
RULE CHECK: Should the ref have blown for a free-kick to us and booked Aguero ?
5 seconds later the ball is in the net as he's lashed in an absolute belter.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
He played the last 4 games and we won. So he was part of the run. Many other players would be lucky they didn't cost us one way or the other in many games.

I am not defending Lovren for his game yesterday, but do we have someone who would come in and play as 3rd/ 4th choice CB behind Gomez and VVD and perform at their level? I would be open to that, but getting some one like that isn't going to be easy.
The problem with Lovren is very simple. He is an excellent defender, but he is consistently prone to lapses in concentration or making errors. He then typically compounds those errors with more errors as he tries to atone for his earlier one. So what is a simple error which happens turns into a head-gone very poor performance and he becomes a liability. Case point being pulled v's Spurs.

In games against the very best they will be won/lost on the finest of margins and in Lovren we have a player who can unfortunately provide one (or even more) negative margins at any given time. Typically in the higher pressure games as well.

Now Lovren has had good performances v's the top teams, as I said earlier his ability/talent isn't in question, but what set's him apart from a player like Van Dijk is that once a mistake is made he allows it to consume him during that match, the truly top players don't. They move on, they relax, they forget. Gomez is similar he has made mistakes but never let it be a lasting effect.

It's probably co-incidence but the poor judgement i.e. ego comments before games also feed into an image probably worse than reality.

It's just unfortunate we had Matip and Gomez injured, but 4 points clear and them coming back from injury.

Noo Noo

The problem with Lovren is very simple. He is an excellent defender, but he is consistently prone to lapses in concentration or making errors. He then typically compounds those errors with more errors as he tries to atone for his earlier one. So what is a simple error which happens turns into a head-gone very poor performance and he becomes a liability. Case point being pulled v's Spurs.

In games against the very best they will be won/lost on the finest of margins and in Lovren we have a player who can unfortunately provide one (or even more) negative margins at any given time. Typically in the higher pressure games as well.

Now Lovren has had good performances v's the top teams, as I said earlier his ability/talent isn't in question, but what set's him apart from a player like Van Dijk is that once a mistake is made he allows it to consume him during that match, the truly top players don't. They move on, they relax, they forget. Gomez is similar he has made mistakes but never let it be a lasting effect.

It's probably co-incidence but the poor judgement i.e. ego comments before games also feed into an image probably worse than reality.

It's just unfortunate we had Matip and Gomez injured, but 4 points clear and them coming back from injury.
Agreed, the only other thing I would add is his mouth. He talks too much, says something to the press and is always caught out by it in the very next game.

Its become the curse of Lovren

Red Armada

TIA Regular
At the beginning of the season, City were the clear cut favourites. Fast forward to today and they're celebrating that they've cut our lead to 4 points. And I'll tell you something else: After yesterday if I were a Liverpool player, I would be absolutely convinced that we are the better team. On a night that arguably 9 out of 11 players underperformed, it took City a huge slice of luck to win by the thinnest of margins. They had 3 goal line clearances and at the end they were defending with a desperation I've never seen before from a Guardiola team. They gave everything they had and they barely won.

On the contrary, no Liverpool player had a good game bar Robertson and Van Dijk. They all put a shift in, but very little came off. Lovren of course will stand out because he had his hand in just about every dangerous situation that City created, but still he was solid until now and unfair to claim otherwise. Had he played at a normal level, we wouldn't have lost. But that's Lovren being Lovren. TAA also struggled with Sane and Aguero doubling up on him without getting much help. But I liked his attitude, he never gave up and he kept going forward and causing problems. The midfield trio came second best throughout the match but they weren't as bad as some are saying. Obviously starting this combination, especially with Milner coming off an injury was wrong. Fabinho's introduction on the other hand changed the complexion of the game and it's clear that we are a better team with him. Klopp won't repeat the same mistake in the future. The front 3 were disappointing. Mane especially. He wasn't at the races from the beginning and his wastefulness this time really hurt us.

All in all, it was a hard loss to take but there's every reason to be upbeat going forward. This City team is far more vulnerable than us and they will drop points. If we manage to stay fit and maintain this level of performances, come May Henderson will be lifting the Premier League trophy.

C

Caradoc

Nothing has changed. So long as we learn a few lessons from the experience it changes very little.

City were really up for it last night. That is a massive compliment. On the night we were beaten by an excellent side; they beat an excellent side. Guardiola admitted as much after the game.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
We got beat but its not that bad; if we had turned up and got beat that would have been more serious. Nerves, the occasion, clearly got to us, and Citeh dominated affairs really. Fernandinho had the midfield. Its all about the bounce back now. Allison MOM for some remarkable worldies in the last parts of the game that denied them twice. Still a little work to be done, mentality.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Top of the league, 4 points clear. As Klopp himself said, if we were told that we would be in this position after the Man City game, we'd have bitten off arms, hands, legs and heads for it.

We went toe to toe. City didn't play their usual fluent style, neither did we. The game swung on moments. One being an 11mm moment, one being a maybe red (which ofcourse went against us last season when Mane was sent off), and then the fucking post.

Before the match yesterday, I had one concern. That was that I didn't want us to get battered. We did not get battered.

Can sit and bemoan individual performances, but focusing on that also discredits the quality of City. Aguero's finish - top class.

We go again - and I will continue to enjoy the ride.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Agreed, the only other thing I would add is his mouth. He talks too much, says something to the press and is always caught out by it in the very next game.

Its become the curse of Lovren
He doesn’t stop and think, plays with emotion to fuel his game. Whenever the first thing he did was an error, it tends to continue and his error are mostly judgement on when to pounce and when to hold his position. Same goes for his mouth. So what does that tell us?

Fucker don’t use his brain that much.

jaffod

p.s. We must win the league.. I can't stand the media bias to City, it was nauseating how much everyone wanted them to win. Look at the papers this morning.

Like everyone has forgot their entire fucking success is built on a country's wealth. They would be nowhere without it. Fucking twats.

We have literally built our self back up with self-sustainability, and amazing manager and a transfer strategy envied and copied around Europe. We should be the ones everyone wants to win to show the beautiful game once more, not the rich mans play thing cheat mode.
Absolutely spot on. The whole fucking country wants these vile cunts to win it over us and that just shows me how we are perceive.
Every man and his dog wants a clearly corrupt club that flouts the rules to win the title over a club that bends over backwards to do things the right way. They want a club that is built on the blood money of an oppresive, human rights abusing regime to win it.
It fucking sickens me. People on here like to say I'm paranoid because of my views but when you read some of the shite being spouted it's not a great stretch of the imagination to think these cunts running the game would do just about anything to stop us winning it.
Wonder if a referee who didn't live in Manchester would have sent Kompany off?

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Moving on from last nights narrow defeat, I think we should be a little bit concerned at the attitude of Sadio Mane. He has been subbed in the last two games and each time came off looking like he was told to go his room. On the pitch he can be sublime and has scored some of our best goals but this feels like he's being tapped up or not happy to live in the shadow of Mo. Maybe needs to appreciated a bit more by the fans....? These fellas have big egos and we need him at his best if we are to win this league. Wether he stays or goes it won't be until the end of the season, in the meantime, lets show him some love!....(or make up new song for him?)

C

Caradoc

Moving on from last nights narrow defeat, I think we should be a little bit concerned at the attitude of Sadio Mane. He has been subbed in the last two games and each time came off looking like he was told to go his room. On the pitch he can be sublime and has scored some of our best goals but this feels like he's being tapped up or not happy to live in the shadow of Mo. Maybe needs to appreciated a bit more by the fans....? These fellas have big egos and we need him at his best if we are to win this league. Wether he stays or goes it won't be until the end of the season, in the meantime, lets show him some love!....(or make up new song for him?)

Or he could just be extremely disappointed with his performance (although I don’t see why he should be) and for ending up being hooked?

Mane, apparently, has low confidence in his own ability. He doesn’t realise how good he really is. That’s not me saying it, this comes from Klopp himself.

The answer, as you mention, is for supporters to show the lad some love. He’s going nowhere!

dockers_strike

Absolutely spot on. The whole fucking country wants these vile cunts to win it over us and that just shows me how we are perceive.
Every man and his dog wants a clearly corrupt club that flouts the rules to win the title over a club that bends over backwards to do things the right way. They want a club that is built on the blood money of an oppresive, human rights abusing regime to win it.
It fucking sickens me. People on here like to say I'm paranoid because of my views but when you read some of the shite being spouted it's not a great stretch of the imagination to think these cunts running the game would do just about anything to stop us winning it.
Wonder if a referee who didn't live in Manchester would have sent Kompany off?
Yes, Ive noticed how fans of lots of other clubs would prefer the oil cheats won the title over us. Would I want everton to win the title if we couldnt, dont think so! But to respond to one of your points, the rest of the country sees us as even more vile c**ts than city or chelsea.

I think there are 2 main reasons why other fans hate us so much: First, is we are everyone's favourite pantomime villan. From Heysel to Suarez, whoever can forget Jon Champion's comment "There's the work of a cheat" when scoring against Mansfield in the cup, the botched van Dijk transfer and the disgraceful scenes over city's coach at last season's CL home game.

Second is people just enjoy stuffing this 'never won the PL' and last won the league in 1990 in our faces. They think we are self entitled and shouldnt support the team so much. Whenever we celebrate victory, we are 'shooting our mouths off about winning the league'! At the start of every season, you get mainly the mancs and chelsea fans claiming we say 'It's our year!' something Ive never heard any red say.

As for kompany's tackle, I always believed refs had instructions that a two footed lunge where both feet are off the ground was an instant red card offence. Taylor bottled the decision last night because Riley at the PGMOL put him in a no win position reffing this game.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
I’d like to know how Guardiola got away with his verbal assault on the 4th official?
Atkinson appeared to go a whiter shade of pale as ‘ the great one’ got in his face.
Not since the days when Ferguson was in his pomp, have I seen a manager abuse an official quite as bad as Guardiola. Taylor looked like he was almost apologising to him for not giving the foul he wanted. Anybody else would have been sent off.

JMac8

Hmmm... I didn't call them shit, as such, but they're not that great as a combination IMHO. And I think you will find that Gini, Henderson and Milner haven't themselves gotten us to where we are all by their lonesome as an all conquering, fear inspiring midfield that flattens the opposition week in, week out. The squad has done that of which they are a part.

Telling fellow Reds to go do one and support United is more than just a touch offensive given that most of us here have decades of support behind us through good times and bad. Have a word, eh?
I wasn’t referring to you and I’m pretty sure that any real fans with decades of support aren’t calling our players shit, ‘diabolical fuckers’ etc

Red Eyes

My two pennies worth:

Both sides went into the match without important players, but City’s deeper squad strength meant that they could cope better without KDB and Mendy than we could without Gomes.

Tactically City were on it. Pep saw where our weakness was at RB and targeted that position. What else would you expect from a manager of Peps calibre, who has the players that can execute a strategy.

Even if this showed the rest of the PL how to best us while Gomes is away, I think that only Spurs and Chelsea have the players to do it. Unlike City though, we are better than Spurs and Chelsea in every department, so we still win against them.

Last night was City away, the same City that won the PL with ease last season. It could have gone either way, and there is no shame in losing to them. Look at the last month as a whole, it has been amazing.

Not sure when Gomes is due back, but our right flank will be vulnerable in CL games if his recovery is slower than expected.

Robertson was under par last night, unusually so. Not sure why, hopefully a one off rather than big game nerves.

Lovren gives his all and has played his part this season. However he is arguably a player for a team in the top ten, and not the top two. The average level of quality in our defensive back four and defensive cover needs to be looked at over the summer.

Last night City showed that the will not roll over and die, they showed the same resilience that we shoeed all season chasing them. It shows that we cannot afford to be complacent, Klopp needs to keep the squad hungry and motivated. He needs to stay on it himself too. Any wobble from us will see the press headlining Klopps record in semi finals and StevieGs slip, and this will generate more nerves.

Last night was not the end of the world. We have got to January as clear leaders in the PL because we deserve it. Our GA column is simply incredible, and our front three are looking menacing again. If the position that we are in now had been offered in August, we would have grabbed at it. Injuries permitting we can win the PL this year no matter how good City are.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Lovren faffing about in our box, Trent for a short period of time making horrendous passes in and around our box, and generally allowing City to press us far too near our goal, made for a poor performance against the medias sky blue lovelies. We gave them far too much room giving them what seemed like hours on the ball before making a pass. It just wasn't good enough to get anything from the game playing the way we did. I don't think they're way ahead of us in the skill stakes, so why were they so effective against us. To finish - I'M STILL BLOODY NARKED LOSING THAT GAME TO THOSE SHITTY SHITS. It's okay, I'm breathing easy again - BUT I AM STILL NARKED!!! :((

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Do yourselves a favour boys and girls, ignore the media especially Skysports. They are Manchester biased and always have been.
Forget about last nights game and look at the table in isolation, top by 4 with 1 defeat in 21. That would have looked impossible at the start of the season. We lost by the odd goal and by less than the width of my little finger against the best side the league has ever seen. Perspective is needed.

C

Caradoc

Do yourselves a favour boys and girls, ignore the media especially Skysports. They are Manchester biased and always have been.
Forget about last nights game and look at the table in isolation, top by 4 with 1 defeat in 21. That would have looked impossible at the start of the season. We lost by the odd goal and by less than the width of my little finger against the best side the league has ever seen. Perspective is needed.

Sky Sport have their own fucked up view of the world ......

Note the massive black dot where Manchester is and the English flag covering Wales.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Yeah, I watched it over and over again, thinking at first the keeper may have had a touch of the ball. He didn't and his trailing leg tripped Mane. Not a single pundit spoke of that foul, instead, harping on the "millimetres" moment. It's a damn foul and we should be given a penalty, end of.
It's worse than that Ed. Ederson deliberately raised his leg to catch Mané, bringing him down and preventing him going for the rebound. Definite pen in my opinion.

Put it this way, if this is a pen:

Then so is this

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Yes, Ive noticed how fans of lots of other clubs would prefer the oil cheats won the title over us. Would I want everton to win the title if we couldnt, dont think so! But to respond to one of your points, the rest of the country sees us as even more vile c**ts than city or chelsea.

I think there are 2 main reasons why other fans hate us so much: First, is we are everyone's favourite pantomime villan. From Heysel to Suarez, whoever can forget Jon Champion's comment "There's the work of a cheat" when scoring against Mansfield in the cup, the botched van Dijk transfer and the disgraceful scenes over city's coach at last season's CL home game.

Second is people just enjoy stuffing this 'never won the PL' and last won the league in 1990 in our faces. They think we are self entitled and shouldnt support the team so much. Whenever we celebrate victory, we are 'shooting our mouths off about winning the league'! At the start of every season, you get mainly the mancs and chelsea fans claiming we say 'It's our year!' something Ive never heard any red say.

As for kompany's tackle, I always believed refs had instructions that a two footed lunge where both feet are off the ground was an instant red card offence. Taylor bottled the decision last night because Riley at the PGMOL put him in a no win position reffing this game.
I agree with your comments. But another factor is the ‘anti scouser’ syndrome which exists throughout the rest of the country. People might say I’m over sensitive or paranoid, but this dislike of ‘scousers’ does exist, I’ve experienced it on several occasions, usually on holiday.
The myth about us always claiming ‘it’s our year’ is something started by Everton fans. Personally, I’ve never heard one Liverpool fan say it.