• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

LaurazRed

Still slightly shell shocked at the score.. A game of... if only Mo had touched the ball....if only Kompany was sent walking and Fernandinho...but we are still top of the league, with a 4 point advantage...next game (pl) a must win....keep up momentum.... As for now...I think l need tea and chocolate....
Brighton is now massive we need to bounce back and fast.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
The other incident I am not too happy about is Kompany's tackle. Eric Baily made the same tackle the night before and was given a straight red, exactly the same and to top it off, Kompany was the last man.
How did kompany get away with this?

Both feet off the ground, out of control, studs up, contact made - straight red.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Ha.

The Roma away game is the 2nd leg of the Semi in which we got the result we needed, in order to advance. Yes, same place where Barca lost 3-0

And if you were presented with a longer listing of wins (more matches won) with the MF trio what would you say? Selective metrics?

I'll wait for you to collect the entire sample (of all games the same MF trip played in) with the respective descriptive stats regarding results.

Yep. What a load of codswallop. 6 games those boys lost in......next up...”exclusive; evidence that Graeme Souness was a midfield lightweight, for evidence see excerpts from 6 hand picked games”

RedForever2014

Kompany should have gone, his aggression after was also an absolute disgrace. Whether the ref would have allowed us to show the same aggression City did generally is another matter.

I am nonetheless disappointed with our performance.

I guess we got the erratic Lovren last night, both goals coming through his side of defence. The rest of the defence was solid though.

It was all about midfield and the selection of those guys has to be looked at.

That midfield has worked at home, when the crowd and energy of the performances usually suits it. But when we are met with an aggressive side away from home and need quality from midfield to quickly create counter attacks, the three of them just don't work.

Fabinho has to be used in the big matches, for me he's our best all round midfielder.

Our other issue was the offensive players off the bench offering nothing. Sturridge in particular doesn't have the physical presence to come on and affect a game like that.

If we were really looking to add to this squad, we'd be adding another quality powerful, physical forward option.

Wilkored08

I’d like to know how Guardiola got away with his verbal assault on the 4th official?
Atkinson appeared to go a whiter shade of pale as ‘ the great one’ got in his face.
Not since the days when Ferguson was in his pomp, have I seen a manager abuse an official quite as bad as Guardiola. Taylor looked like he was almost apologising to him for not giving the foul he wanted. Anybody else would have been sent off.
Cause the sun shines out of his bottom!!!

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Tough game and probably a fair result on the balance of play , even though we were desperately unlucky with the goal line clearance and Kompany should have seen red. I'm no less optimistic about our title chances now than I was before the game. Keep playing like we have , and ditch the 4-3-3 for once and for all , and most teams won't be able to live with us.

The two lessons I'd take frrom last night's game is that Dejan Lovren is now fourth choice centre-back and should never be trusted in big games and we need a left sided forward to compete with Mané whose wastefulness in front of goal could come to cost us dear , if it hasn't already.

dockers_strike

Both feet off the ground, out of control, studs up, contact made - straight red.
It's because that nasty Mo Salah is a 'diver' so he 'made' it look worse than it was. Fortunately, saw it coming and managed to hurdle most of it. And then you have seconds after Kompany with his hands clasped in a prayer like position pleading with Taylor he didnt mean it.

It's like Jurgen says, does there have to be blood? Or a broken leg before there's action? Yet again, we'll be accused of whinging scousers because we lost. Well, we probably wouldnt have lost a game that was 0-0 if kompany's off.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

Salah springs up and avoids most of the contact (luckily for him). As a result, it doesn't look as bad as if he had hit him with full force. Agree that it is a red, but we see countless similar tackles in the PL rewarded with a yellow. That's because these PL refs have no continuity in their standards as I've already written elsewhere. I don't think that Taylor is biased against us on that occasion. He's just an inconsistent ref, that is all.

Medjool

Ok, for me, time to kick out the disappointment and put this in perspective.
The mood seems to be as if we just lost a final or got knocked out of a competition. This was just one more league match with the bonus that we're now finished playing the other best team in the league, and still in front at a fairly advanced stage. It's all about how we move on now and i have every faith in Klopp to steady the ship. Lets not forget also that bar Arsenal in 2003/4 (and i think Preston back in 400AD) every winner of the top flight league had got beaten in at least one match on the way to the title.
Gave you a like just for the PNE shout

Elessar

Kompany should have been sent off. The ref know it but he bottled it. Not the first time this season Kompany should have been sent off. Three times this season the ref bottled it. Against us, Burnley and Southampton.

The best team lost because of the referee. I feel sorry for him. He is from Manchester and should never been in charge. Not that I believe that matters but he would have been slaughtered even he done a good game. It is the fucking FA that is to blame. I remember a few times when a ref from Liverpool wasn't allowed to ref us.

We do really need a CM playmaker.

Elessar

Salah springs up and avoids most of the contact (luckily for him). As a result, it doesn't look as bad as if he had hit him with full force. Agree that it is a red, but we see countless similar tackles in the PL rewarded with a yellow. That's because these PL refs have no continuity in their standards as I've already written elsewhere. I don't think that Taylor is biased against us on that occasion. He's just an inconsistent ref, that is all.
I think it all comes down to that Mike Riley stink big time. Most of us would do a much better job than him. Now the referees can stink the place out week in week out and still be a PL referee the following season. If the referees knew that they could be punished then they would IMO be much better. Now they know that they will get away with it so they almost always make the easy decision.

Mike Riley out.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Yeah, if you could find the tackle from Baily against Bournemouth exactly the same and it was only the night before. That was a straight red.

Nope, Eric Baily saw straight red with the same tackle the night before our game. The pen and the red card should have been given, at least one of them.

Sorry it was against Bournemouth...

Look at @Lowton_Red's GIF and then this youtube video, especially the slow-mo bit at the end. Exactly the same. One receives a red, and the other the referee took it upon himself not to disrupt the match?

Last edited:

phil smith

It's time we stopped getting overawed by these occasions now though. We have enough experience and have been playing like a team that doesn't get ruffled, so no need to drop nuts just because it's Man City in a big game.

At sometime we are going to have to forget about the so called safety net midfield trio of Hendo, Milly and Gini. It is too slow and ponderous and completely lacks creativity. Think we need to move on from that now. Gini too often controlling the ball, spinning in a 360 and by that time it's too late, City have men behind the ball. We need at least one attack minded player in midfield.

I thought TAA, Lovren and Gini were awful today, with Mane not too far behind. Can't expect Shaq to do much when he's only given about 15 minutes at the end of the game.

I'm just really disappointed with the way we played today.

Great summary. Agree with you 100%

Red Eyes

I agree it’s a straight red, potentially a leg breaker with control lost and studs up.

However I’m struggling to see contact if I’m completely honest.

Mo made of a meal of it like every other player would in a game of this magnitude, but I’m not sure he was hurt in the slightest.

Am bracing myself for the flack that will inevitably follow!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I agree it’s a straight red, potentially a leg breaker with control lost and studs up.

Mo made of a meal of it like every other player would in a game of this magnitude, but I’m not sure he was hurt in the slightest.

A red card or any foul was given out of the intent, not the outcome of it. Sometimes a player may have been stretchered off but if the tackle was fair there won't be any foul given. So it's the intent of the tackle to see if it's dangerous and malicious. If you needed to be hurt in order to win a foul, there would never have been a penalty awarded in the world of football.

Nur der BvB09

It wasn tstrait red Card cause mo s leg was still after the foul with the body

if you saw the game after that tackle he rolls at least 4 times on the Floor you think of happines?

C

Caradoc

Let’s be honest if Salah hadn’t done his best to get out of the way of Kompany’s tackle he’d probably be out injured for a sustained period. The intent was there in spades. It was an absolutely appalling piece of refereeing. Absolutely no excuse for getting it wrong. None at all. To follow that up soon after with the Wijnaldum booking demands answers about his integrity, competence or both.

Red Eyes

A red card or any foul was given out of the intent, not the outcome of it. Sometimes a player may have been stretchered off but if the tackle was fair there won't be any foul given. So it's the intent of the tackle to see if it's dangerous and malicious. If you needed to be hurt in order to win a foul, there would never have been a penalty awarded in the world of football.
Like I said in the first line

“I agree it’s a straight red, potentially a leg breaker with control lost and studs up”

It doesn’t matter if he made contact or not, it’s a red.

Was just saying I can’t see contact, and I think Mo made a meal of it to sway the ref.

Wilkored08

We can conduct autopsy on every decision but the truth of it was we didnt compete for 85% of that game.
We all know it's hard to take (cause of the manc association)...let's get back on the winning trail...win, win ,win should be in our and their mindset....Cmon boys!!!!

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
After my morning cuppa...and reflection...it happened, although yes they were lucky/dirty and sneaky....our boys should be thinking....right we go again....we can do this...we will do this.!!!
Exactly!:well done:
I really believe it "is a state of mind". Klopp is a very good psychologist in getting the boys back to winning ways. His previous team were always the underdog against the Mighty Bayern Munich. He managed to get his team to overcome it this mental block and beat them 2 years running to the title.