• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 3/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • Milner [off 56’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

• Wijnaldum [off 85’]

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Mane [off 76’]

• Firmino [GOAL 64’]

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 56’]

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
C

Caradoc

The word shit was probably the wrong word to use (heat of the moment) But You can not tell me that that is our best three. They were not controlling the ball and cannot take players on 1v1 except for Gini. they were one touching forward most of the game because the were over run. My main point is I love all of them just not together.

That post was in response to one from Magnus.

Apart from that I’m confused as to why you have posted that reply in response to my own post because it doesn’t make much sense to me. Sorry.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I agree to an extent mate. The issue we as fans have is that unless Jurgen comes out and explains his thoughts and reasons on why he picks the players he does we have very little to go on. We can speculate and debate it but we have no access to the information he has nor do we see what he sees on the training pitch. Maybe he wanted Milners experience, Gini has stepped up his level this year, maybe there are small niggles and fitness issues we don't know about.
There is little doubt that Fabinho is slowly making himself 1st choice but against teams that start quickly and move it around at pace he can struggle.......Arsenal away as an example.

He was still finding his feet at Arsenal though. I'm thinking he didn't play this one as he gave the ball away in dangerous areas 3 times against Arsenal and Newcastle. You would think that was fresh in Jurgen mind.

I hope we only see 1 of Milly and Hendo going forward, both are limited and too similar to play together for my liking.

And why on earth is Naby taking so long to find his feet?! I am starting to feel that situation frustrating as I thought he was going to be sensational for us this season.

Last edited:

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
He was still finding his feet at Arsenal though. I'm thinking he didn't play this onevas he gave the ball away in dangerous areas 3 times against Arsenal and Newcastle. You would think that was fresh in Jurgen mind.

I hope we only see 1 of Milly and Hendo going forward, both are limited and too similar to play together for my liking.

And why on earth is Naby taking so long to find his feet?! I am starting to feel that situation frustrating as I thought he was going to be sensational for us this season.
Yeah the Naby situation is an interesting one. I think we all expected him to come in and straight away be the player he was in Germany which hasn't happened yet. It's a hard one to call really, maybe he's not settled yet, I think there were stories of him not speaking a word of English and was having trouble adapting to life in Liverpool.
Nothing would make me happier that to see Klopp let him off the lead and storming into the opposition in the 2nd half of the season.

C

Caradoc

No concerns whatsoever about Naby. He’s just taking longer to adjust than was expected.

I think he’s struggling with the physicality, the pace and the cynical nature of English football. Klopp and the coaching team will no doubt be patient even if we aren’t. They will build him up physically and mentally. We’ve seen glimpses of what he can do even on a dreadful evening in Burnley.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Maybe the language barrier is the biggest reason as to why he's taking his time to settle? Not understanding a word Jürgen is saying isn't going to help is it? I don't think there's any issue with his quality and ability.

Let's hope you're right and he starts to play his part on our way to CL and league double :J

indianaredman96

now you're gonna believe us
That post was in response to one from Magnus.

Apart from that I’m confused as to why you have posted that reply in response to my own post because it doesn’t make much sense to me. Sorry.
You are correct the post was not meant for you as i feel you agreed with my thoughts. Sorry for that.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
I dont think I have that much to say about the game, that hasn’t been said already. The game was lost in midfield, I am 100% sure of that. The three in midfield are my least favourite combo. They fine as players, yet as a combo they suck most of the time. I would put them in the 20 to 30% range for having a good game, with the rest of the time being outplayed, either in controlling midfield and/or creating chances. I would also like to add, winning games with those three, does not add up to them having a good game.

In the city game, we were totally and utterly dominated in the midfield, by two midgets and their body guard, thereby creating few chances if any, and putting pressure on defence by not keeping or winning the ball. I think the term is chasing shadows. The change in the game for us, was when Fab was introduced, I think that helped. I was hoping that Keita was going to start as his harassing style, and movement off the ball is excellent. I think that would of helped against this particular opposition.

On Keita, something has to happen. He has had more than enough time to settle in, in theory he should have been settled much quicker than Fab. I just don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. We are really going to need his style of play in the second part of the season, as long as it the Leipzig form.

@Alright Now @lfc.eddie @Incognito @FilthyBloke, I was always thinking of stopping as soon as we hit a draw, let alone a loss. I can continue for league games or I can spend some time on the bench, along with Keita.

Alright Now

I dont think I have that much to say about the game, that hasn’t been said already. The game was lost in midfield, I am 100% sure of that. The three in midfield are my least favourite combo. They fine as players, yet as a combo they suck most of the time. I would put them in the 20 to 30% range for having a good game, with the rest of the time being outplayed, either in controlling midfield and/or creating chances. I would also like to add, winning games with those three, does not add up to them having a good game.

In the city game, we were totally and utterly dominated in the midfield, by two midgets and their body guard, thereby creating few chances if any, and putting pressure on defence by not keeping or winning the ball. I think the term is chasing shadows. The change in the game for us, was when Fab was introduced, I think that helped. I was hoping that Keita was going to start as his harassing style, and movement off the ball is excellent. I think that would of helped against this particular opposition.

On Keita, something has to happen. He has had more than enough time to settle in, in theory he should have been settled much quicker than Fab. I just don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. We are really going to need his style of play in the second part of the season, as long as it the Leipzig form.

@Alright Now @lfc.eddie @Incognito @FilthyBloke, I was always thinking of stopping as soon as we hit a draw, let alone a loss. I can continue for league games or I can spend some time on the bench, along with Keita.
I liked your previews for more than the superstition nonsense. Would love to see you continue for that reason alone. But I also know it takes time, and you have a life beyond this forum (maybe).

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Oh and that little bastard Bernardo Silva, kept leaving his foot in all night. Next time he turns up at Anfield to play he requires a proper smack of a first tackle. A real nunning crunch that leaves him down; cheating little twat. This is something we've lost and will have to regain; you just never got away with kicking LFC players.

Red Eyes

No concerns whatsoever about Naby. He’s just taking longer to adjust than was expected.

I think he’s struggling with the physicality, the pace and the cynical nature of English football. Klopp and the coaching team will no doubt be patient even if we aren’t. They will build him up physically and mentally. We’ve seen glimpses of what he can do even on a dreadful evening in Burnley.
It’s natural to have concerns about a player who is underperforming expectations, cost a lot of money, and came to Anfield with disciplinary issues at his previous club.

However Klopp described him as a long term project, suggesting that he was anticipating some bedding in issues rather than instant success. His development hasnt been helped by a string of niggly injuries, which is unfortunate but unavoidable. No doubting his talent, but it may be next season or at least the back end of this season that we consistently begin to see the best of him.

Limiescouse

Neither team dominated any phase or area of the game. It was an incredibly well contested and well balanced game contested at an incredible level and one in which the ascendancy swung back and forth 9 or 10 times. That does not happen with a midfield that is outplayed, let alone dominated.

In games like that, what looks like a performance is different than in games like the Arsenal game where one side is clearly the better side. Lots of quality work gets blunted by the quality of the other side. As a result, David Silva, one of the best and most effective players in the history of the premier league, was barely noticed. That was the sort of game it was.

Noo Noo

Oh you didn't know? The media have come to agreement that this was the BEST PL game this season.

It was amazing and so intense. Of course at the end LFC caved in and lost. So there. How convenient: the one LFC loss is the BEST game you'll ever see.

How about the recent Arsenal 5-1 game. That was the best game of the season. It had excitement, one of the 2 teams came back from a goal down, and many more goals than yesterday.

Or how about the Man Citeh Palace 2-3 game, eh?
Er no I didn't know and I'll be honest i'm not sure what you're exactly trying to get at other than perhaps some media agenda. Personally I don't really care but in some ways I do agree with them. With regard to the intensity of the game, the potential stakes and obviously the two best sides in the PL right now it probably was the game of the season. Fine, the press have to write stories.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Oh and that little bastard Bernardo Silva, kept leaving his foot in all night. Next time he turns up at Anfield to play he requires a proper smack of a first tackle. A real nunning crunch that leaves him down; cheating little twat. This is something we've lost and will have to regain; you just never got away with kicking LFC players.
This manager we have don't like us playing cheat.... that's the problem. Guardiola don't mind it and Pochettino came out publicly supporting his boys cheating to gain those extra yards. Our manager says no, he be looking at the players are the side line after being tripped with his eyes saying "get up you little shit, don't you ever dare do the Neymaroll".

C

Caradoc

It’s natural to have concerns about a player who is underperforming expectations, cost a lot of money, and came to Anfield with disciplinary issues at his previous club.

However Klopp described him as a long term project, suggesting that he was anticipating some bedding in issues rather than instant success. His development hasnt been helped by a string of niggly injuries, which is unfortunate but unavoidable. No doubting his talent, but it may be next season or at least the back end of this season that we consistently begin to see the best of him.

Not for me its not. Klopp bought him in for a reason and made sure he got his man even if he had to wait longer than was ideal. No concerns for me whatsoever.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Isn't that very similar to the one VVD got away with recently? It was early on in the Napoli game. Sometimes they are given and sometimes not.

https://goo.gl/images/SKsmJM
The main difference is that VvD actually got the ball; it was his follow through that took out the player. If you look at the kompany tackle, he isn't even aiming for the ball.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
The main difference is that VvD actually got the ball; it was his follow through that took out the player. If you look at the kompany tackle, he isn't even aiming for the ball.

Makes you think he was trying to seriously injure Mo doesn't it? He was so late it's hard to believe he was genuinely going for the ball. That was cynical, I think the bulbous-headed bastard was doing his very best to put him out for the rest of the season.

Zico Nealy

Maybe the language barrier is the biggest reason as to why he's taking his time to settle? Not understanding a word Jürgen is saying isn't going to help is it? I don't think there's any issue with his quality and ability.

Let's hope you're right and he starts to play his part on our way to CL and league double :J
Interesting point this. Surely though he must understand some German and some English, especially considering where has Brennan playing and it’s in his own interests to at least learn enough to carry out his job. I like him but maybe his positional understanding is more to blame as he does vacate space going forward sometimes. Honestly, who knows though?

Jah_Pool

Calling one of ours "a diabolical fucker" is a bit strong mate even if he has a bad game. I was really worried for him, I thought his head had gone.
I was worried for him too, I thought he was gonna have one of those Spurry moments that he is known for.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
A bit late writing here:

Im happier after the game, because I saw we rattled them and it meant so very much to beat us !! as if we are the better team. Plus, the red card should have been red, plus the woodwork and the "nearly" goal- as I have said- even when Liverpool are a top team again (er, we are now) the only things that really stop us will be bad refs (red) or luck (woodwork). Without those this game could have been totally different.
I have more confidence now we can keep them at bay. Very good that the cup is next. I expect big changes. Simply cos Klopp knows the one trophy we want above all else at the moment !

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Kompany should have gone, his aggression after was also an absolute disgrace. Whether the ref would have allowed us to show the same aggression City did generally is another matter.

I am nonetheless disappointed with our performance.

I guess we got the erratic Lovren last night, both goals coming through his side of defence. The rest of the defence was solid though.

It was all about midfield and the selection of those guys has to be looked at.

That midfield has worked at home, when the crowd and energy of the performances usually suits it. But when we are met with an aggressive side away from home and need quality from midfield to quickly create counter attacks, the three of them just don't work.

Fabinho has to be used in the big matches, for me he's our best all round midfielder.

Our other issue was the offensive players off the bench offering nothing. Sturridge in particular doesn't have the physical presence to come on and affect a game like that.

If we were really looking to add to this squad, we'd be adding another quality powerful, physical forward option.
Good points well made, and I think you are right about sturidge, he did, however, do exactly just that vs Chelsea earlier in the season, so it’s unfair to say he can’t do it -although not through physical presence- but yes, I agree, a few key injuries and we risk not being able to run the full marathon.

Red over the water

As soon as I saw the lineup for the game, I knew what was coming.
I know what you mean mate.

As soon as I saw that lineup I just knew Mane would hit the post.
As soon as I saw that lineup I just knew Stones would smash it into Ederson’s face and then clear it off the line.
Etc.

I’m just having a laugh. I shared my preferred midfield before the game - Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita - but there’s no telling what the outcome would have been if we had it all to do again.

The fact is Man City are an excellent side. So are we, and the game turned on tiny margins. Another day we’d have come out on top, but it wasn’t to be. The main thing is we regroup and go on another run. I think we will.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
I know what you mean mate.

As soon as I saw that lineup I just knew Mane would hit the post.
As soon as I saw that lineup I just knew Stones would smash it into Ederson’s face and then clear it off the line.
Etc.

I’m just having a laugh. I shared my preferred midfield before the game - Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita - but there’s no telling what the outcome would have been if we had it all to do again.

The fact is Man City are an excellent side. So are we, and the game turned on tiny margins. Another day we’d have come out on top, but it wasn’t to be. The main thing is we regroup and go on another run. I think we will.
I did not say I knew what the result will be, or whatever else you can think of, I specified our midfield shortcomings that we always see when those three play together. Why twist the meaning of my post. I dont get it. Still, whatever.

jaffod

How did kompany get away with this?

Both feet off the ground, out of control, studs up, contact made - straight red.
24 hours on and what strikes me is yet again we are left with a burning sense of injustice following a massive game against one of the big 6. The more I watch that 'tackle' the more fucking disgraceful it looks.

Can anyone actually remember the last time we came out of one of these games and thought we got away with something? It's a fucking one way street, one shite decision after another with the common denominator being they all go against us.

I'm genuinely worried we'll look back in May on the Kompany incident as having the same effect as the Eto'o non red card at Chelsea in 2013 which went a long way to costing us the title.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Right, the day after. This result still feels like a kick in the guts. We really didn't turn up until 20 minutes to go in the match. That's the most frustrating thing, we lacked any real energy, we were so slow and labored in playing the ball out from the back. It was frustrating to watch personally.

I am firm in my belief that Klopp got that midfield selection wrong. It hasn't worked all season, why would it now? Against one of the best midfields in Europe. Away from home. It was stupid, but what's more stupid is that Klopp doesn't seem to see what the rest of the Football world does. It wasn't until Fabinho came on that it looked like we got some semblance of control and parity in the match and arguably had our best periods of the match. I really hope Klopps stubbornness with that midfield 3 doesn't cost us the title.

Like I said yesterday, yes we are still clear by 4 points, but it really feels like we handed the initiative to City and for some reason it seems like they are favorites. You just know they'll pick up max points through their tricking up coming run and we'll cock it up in our easy fixtures.

red arizona scott

Maybe not totally overrunv"dominated", but B Silva and Fernandinho by my eyes had the most impact of all the midfielders until Fabinho was introduced.

I thought we missed Joe Gomez's pace and quickness significantly. VVD and Robertson immense, not so much the other side. Not terrible, but not a world class defense performance on the right.

2 goals to concede in a big away match is usually too much to overcome, and it was. Brilliant shots by brilliant players, yes, but the opps still could have been snuffed out (by world class defending).

Hopefully the match can be appreciated in hindsight (it was the best quality and intensity I have seen in any league or CL this year)--key is now not dropping points versus clubs 2 notches below in talent. City and Spurs will have extra fixtures with EFL trophy in sight, and of course play each other.